http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 11:58:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City of Heroes/Villains Issue 12: Midnight Hour  (Read 6840 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »

Details announced so thought it was worth a new thread.  icon_smile

Forum page with lotta links
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=info&Number=10372986&bodyprev=#Post10372986

Details page
http://www.cityofheroes.com/game_update12.html
New Stuff
JOIN THE MIDNIGHT SQUAD (LEVELS 10 - 20)
The clandestine organization of mystics, scholars and mages, known only as the Midnight Squad, seeks to rebuild its numbers since the devastating assault of the Rikti Invasion. The Midnighters hold a secret that could bring the alien assault to an end, but without the help of the Heroes of Paragon City™ it will remain Lost forever.

NEW ROMAN-STYLE ZONE MAPS (LEVELS 35 - 50)
The Midnighters hold many secrets within their walls, including a highly coveted Ouroboros crystal, enabling them to travel to the far reaches of time. There is a familiar threat in an ancient land and the Midnighters need the help of both Heroes and Villains to stop it. Players step foot upon the ancient land of the Roman Cimeroran Peninsula, where they battle deadly creatures, defend an ancient city and ultimately come face to face with the enemy of time itself. Throughout this journey players uncover the mysteries of power and the origins that guide them today.

UNLOCK ROMAN-STYLE ARMOR COSTUMES
Through their accomplishments, players unlock the new Roman themed armor costume set.

Villain Epic Archetypes
Infiltrate the Arachnos organization from within! Upon reaching level 50, Villains unlock two new Epic Archetypes; Wolf Spiders and Blood Widows. They have their own unique storyline and missions, power combinations and costume sets. Branching powersets allow the Wolf Spider to specialize as either a Bane Spider or Crab Spider and the Blood Widow chooses from the Fortunata and Night Widow branches. Each brings with it unique costumes for your Arachnos duties, as well as your newfound role as a Destined One.

Powerset Proliferation

Using his newly built Resonance Manipulator, the Villain scientist known as Dr. Brainstorm™ has discovered a way to alter the energy strands which connect every Hero and Villain to their powers. This discovery has not only opened the door to new powers for his fellow Villains in the Rogue Isles™, but has also done the same for the Heroes of Paragon City ™! Specifically, new characters of almost every Hero and Villain archetype gain access to an additional primary and secondary powerset that they didn’t have access to previously. Details to come!

Hollows Zone "Gameplay Makeover"
Significant changes have been made to the Hollows zone to make it more fun! NPC encounters have been rebalanced, including new spawns, new villain groups, mission door improvements, and a mobile hospital has been added to the entrance of the zone [Hollows has no hospital, and it's really annoying for the lower level, travel-skill-less characters to trudge back there from Atlas-bj].  Additionally, Meg Mason, a new contact, has been added to give out repeatable missions.

Major Gameplay Improvements
-Eight configurable new power trays let players customize their User Interface by placing them anywhere on the screen.
-Contact display redesign: Contacts are now listed separately as Active and Inactive, and players can sort contacts by a range of criteria including Name, Zone, and Level Range.
-Inspiration Conversion: Right click an inspiration to convert three of that kind into any one inspiration of another kind.
-Level Up Boost: Upon reaching enough XP to level up (at all levels), one of each type of large inspiration is immediately cast upon your character, and health and endurance bars are immediately filled.
-Chat improvements: Right click on character names in chat window to ignore, add to friends list, invite to team, etc. Drag any item (enhancement, inspiration, salvage, etc.) into the chat window so that you and others can click a hotlink to view the complete info box. [as in WoW and its ilk, should be very helpful when trading inventions in particular]

-More Real Numbers: Players can now display stats on powers before they choose them enabling more informed power selection and new temporary powers allow players to display enemy stats.
Lots of cool stuff. I picked a good time to come back.  icon_cool While much of it falls under "quality of life" improvements, the interface is one of my favorites in MMO land and I welcome further improvements.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:48:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:17:42 PM »

There's much grumbling at official boards that the Hollows doesn't need as much work as various other deserted zones such as Boomtown, Firebase Zulu/The Chantry (just connecting via all the floating asteroids via simple teleportion portals instead of unpredictable "propulsion chutes" would make it a more playable area), or even Crashed Rikti Mothership Site (which I think got a re-do a while back but still is largely ignored afik).

I loved the Faultline revamp way back although its single story arc didn't give much reason to stay there. The Hollows re-work seems a lot less major though.

I still think something's wonky in their data-mining because they're always claiming there are more 10-20 or 15-25 etc. level characters in the game so if you ask why there isn't more 35-40 or 40-50 content getting added or revamped, that's often been their reasoning. A lot of players (esp. now with the font smoothing) blow through 10-20 etc. so fast it seems kind of a lost cause to focus on content at those levels. I think more often people get a wee burned out around 40-45ish doing all the Peregrine Island stuff, and they could just more to do -- the Roman stuff in this update should help a little (35-50 they say).

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »

Er, oops, I should've included link to Positron (Matt Miller)'s "letter to the communitY" about the update and the CoX series' future hopes and plans:
http://www.plaync.com/us/news/2008/03/dev_corner_city.html
As Lead Designer on the project, I have had a lot of control over what happens in the City of Heroes game, but in the past I still had hurdles to get some great ideas actualized. With the new studio, a lot of ideas that couldn’t take hold under the old management are being implemented into the game with outstanding results.
Ouch.  stirthepot To be fair, I think Cryptic was basically hamstrung by the amount of funding NCSoft would provide. So I can't even tell if he's taking a dig at Cryptic, or at NCsoft.  icon_confused

There still seems a lot of fan speculation about maybe a paid expansion or even a followup game eventually. They hint about something Really Big down the road. The updates are great, but it *is* a 3-4 year old game now (COH in 2004; COX in 2005) that you can't even find on store shelves much anymore so it might take something new that they can push back onto shelves (or perhaps making it available on Steam or something) to grow the user base if that's still something they hope to do.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 06:30:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:15:01 PM »

Level Up Boost: Upon reaching enough XP to level up (at all levels), one of each type of large inspiration is immediately cast upon your character, and health and endurance bars are immediately filled.

About time. CoX was pretty much the only MMO that didn't give you full health whenever you leveled. And now you'll get one heck of a boost for a minute every time you do so.

This looks and sounds quite cool. Also, keep in mind, assuming they do the 10-20 missions right, you can always Flashback them. Gives the people at 50 the chance to see the new content.

Also, it's nice to see that they're redoing the Hollows. There's a reason why people avoid the zone like the plague when it becomes 'available'. It's WAY too big for when you don't have any standard travel power (short of the ones granted upon going the Bank missions earlier).

And Psychic Blasters? I just might play a Blaster again with that kind of power in my proverbial hands.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:17:41 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »

Main problem with Hollows (imho) is the mobs are too large for soloers or small groups to handle. If you have a big group, then it's like an Exp candy factory, but if I'm stuck soloing (like many weekdays), then it's a tough place to progress in.

They seem to indicate mob setups have been redesigned drastically to make soloing and getting around the zones easier.

Castle seemed to clarify the additional powers (nothing new, but it seems like you get 1-3 additional power choices from roughly your character equivalent in the other game -- CoV or CoH).
Every AT gains at least 1 powerset -- Masterminds only get a Secondary, no new Primary. Brutes get 2 new Primaries [revealed to be the axe and mace powers from COH's tank power sets], and 1 secondary. Everyone else gets 1 Primary and 1 Secondary.
I'm not really sure what it means as far as my Defender goes. I guess he'd get a couple choices from the Corruptor sets? I think Dr. Barium (hit 38 last night btw) could probably use another attack with secondary effects (stun, knockback etc.).

I know my L29 Controller (gravity/force field bubbles) could desperately use some sort of cone or AoE attack option. Of course he isn't meant to be a solo whirlwind, but when you can hold a big squad with grav holds and have no area attack weapon (other than maybe the shotgun temp power from Striga Isle), it's a bummer.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:45:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »

You do realize that when they say 'new powerset' it means that you'll have to start over with a new character, right?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »

<sigh> I love reading about this game, and you would think that I would enjoy playing it with friends.... but I just don't.

I may just not be cut out for MMO's in general.  I lose interest in them very quickly no matter the game/genre.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 12:41:51 AM »

I've been having fun in CoV, as much as my goody-two-shoes mind set will let me. I didn't get the pack with CoH included but I think I'll pick it up tomorrow if I see it.

I have a lv22 brute, DB\Inul and I do like the set. But for some reason, and I've had this in all games I play, I can't get into the "evil" persona as much as I can the "good hero" type.

After 3 years in WoW I never played a Horde character more than a few levels for the same silly reason. I've tried and tried I just don't enjoy the evil side of things in games.

Sooooo.........I will start over, not a big deal I'm on lv 22, with a goody-two-shoes in CoH.

I also don't like the overly brooding atmosphere of CoV. Too apocalyptic for my tastes.

Is there a good solo class in CoH? Better than most I mean. I play very, very early in the morning and have always had to take groups as I can find them in MMO"s.
I still enjoy the genre tremendously though.
So playing a very good solo class is always a pre-requisite of mine in a MMO..

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:44:34 AM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 02:20:34 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 13, 2008, 12:41:51 AM

Is there a good solo class in CoH? Better than most I mean. I play very, very early in the morning and have always had to take groups as I can find them in MMO"s.

For Heroes? Pick a Scrapper and go either /Regen or /Willpower. Once you get a few powers in the secondaries (Integrated Healing for Regen and...I forgot the name for Willpower), you'll be nigh-invulnerable. There's no true better solo class in Heroes than that. I've been running the second hardest difficulty level for more than a dozen levels by this point (I'm 40 with my Claws/Regen Scrapper) and short of some really lucky hits, I take a licking and keep on fighting.

And like you, I could never really 'get' into Villains. I'm just not the evil type I guess.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »

You *can* solo a defender or controller, but it requires some patience on the low end (on the higher end, most Controllers are like one man armies). If you've got the veterans rewards temp power goodies (staff/wand choices, and axe/Sands of Mu dark melee cone power choices), then you can make up for the lack of attack powers in the Defender/Controller sets.

Scrappers were my favorites overall and favorites to solo. Although I have a regen and a super reflexes scrapper, my lone 50 was a broadsword/invulnerability scrapper and my lone tank (38) is an invulnerabilty/stone melee tank - so I'm partial to invulnerability even if regen gets you over the hump in terms of endurance problems before stamina's available. The bummer in invuln is that the penultimate Unstoppable power crashes spectacularly (health *and* endurance drop near zero when it wears off). Some of the others are more forgiving at the end.

If you just have the patience to get a tank to the point of having stamina, then a tank becomes such you can solo almost anything in the game aside from certain "debuffing" types of elite bosses. My 38 tank couldn't, as it turns out, solo the Ourboros TF because there's an elite boss vampire (Nosferatu) who dark-debuffs you to the point you're essentially helpless (can't hit anything, can hardly heal etc.).

Part of the difficulty of soloing for me is having the patience to largely avoid toggle powers until I can get stamina (20), or being willing to shove a  lot of endurance reducers to make them bearable. If you strictly solo, you miss out on the various buffs controllers and defenders can give you to help you deal with endurance situations, among other things.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:09:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »

Getting back to Issue 12, Positron mentioned you'll be able to position hotkey trays vertically if you prefer. Also, if you push the hotkey bar towards the edge of your screen, you can turn it into an L-shape. Masterminds (who have a ton of pet oriented keys to keep track of sometimes) might esp. find that useful.

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:36:20 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 13, 2008, 01:13:33 PM

Getting back to Issue 12, Positron mentioned you'll be able to position hotkey trays vertically if you prefer. Also, if you push the hotkey bar towards the edge of your screen, you can turn it into an L-shape. Masterminds (who have a ton of pet oriented keys to keep track of sometimes) might esp. find that useful.

About bloody time. I've had more hotkeys than the 3 bar config allows for years now. Yes, blame my vet items along with my extra temp powers along with a number of pose states.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 13, 2008, 01:36:20 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 13, 2008, 01:13:33 PM

About bloody time. I've had more hotkeys than the 3 bar config allows for years now. Yes, blame my vet items along with my extra temp powers along with a number of pose states.

When I started CoV a couple of weeks ago it was one of the first things I asked in chat. "Hey, anyone know how to serperate the hot-key bars".
Especially with all the temp-powers and travel options you get. Having bars seperated and in different positions on the screen is just too obvious.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 13, 2008, 01:07:51 PM

You *can* solo a defender or controller, but it requires some patience on the low end (on the higher end, most Controllers are like one man armies). If you've got the veterans rewards temp power goodies (staff/wand choices, and axe/Sands of Mu dark melee cone power choices), then you can make up for the lack of attack powers in the Defender/Controller sets.

Scrappers were my favorites overall and favorites to solo. Although I have a regen and a super reflexes scrapper, my lone 50 was a broadsword/invulnerability scrapper and my lone tank (38) is an invulnerabilty/stone melee tank - so I'm partial to invulnerability even if regen gets you over the hump in terms of endurance problems before stamina's available. The bummer in invuln is that the penultimate Unstoppable power crashes spectacularly (health *and* endurance drop near zero when it wears off). Some of the others are more forgiving at the end.

If you just have the patience to get a tank to the point of having stamina, then a tank becomes such you can solo almost anything in the game aside from certain "debuffing" types of elite bosses. My 38 tank couldn't, as it turns out, solo the Ourboros TF because there's an elite boss vampire (Nosferatu) who dark-debuffs you to the point you're essentially helpless (can't hit anything, can hardly heal etc.).

Part of the difficulty of soloing for me is having the patience to largely avoid toggle powers until I can get stamina (20), or being willing to shove a  lot of endurance reducers to make them bearable. If you strictly solo, you miss out on the various buffs controllers and defenders can give you to help you deal with endurance situations, among other things.

I have no choice but to manily solo..tis a fact of life my friend. But although I never see the end-game content that was designed for large groups, I always enjoy MMO's...the ones done well anyway.

But that in and of itself a reason I love MMO's.... I have never played the ones that get the report, "you have to group most of the time for any conent"...I just don't even try them.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

Arc,

You shouldn't have to go get COH as they merged the accounts recently.  Ie you own COV you get COH access and vice versa.

morlac00 on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »

Quote from: morlac on March 13, 2008, 02:55:12 PM

Arc,

You shouldn't have to go get COH as they merged the accounts recently.  Ie you own COV you get COH access and vice versa.

Good point. Something you might want to check beforehand by just hitting 'Create Character' and see what comes up.

And my point still stands on the /Regen or /Willpower Scrapper. Many people complain that they're 'easy mode' way too early in the game, especially with /Regen's Tier 9 power being at Tier 4. And Regen gets a better endurance regen power than Stamina (which is almost always a required Power Pool pick) at 2 or 4 if they want to take it that early.

Sorry for the lack of exact numbers - I'm at work and don't have my character planner program here with me at the moment.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 06:31:46 PM »

Really? I don't see that when I start up the game. Can you give me more specific's how I would create a CoH character?

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 07:40:17 PM »

All you do to create a CoH character is select Hero at the beginning of the character creation.

I recently did this, but in reverse. I never bought the boxed version of CoV, but since I bought CoH and the accounts have merged I can now play CoV without ever having bought it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »

*In feeble attempt to steer the thread back into Issue 12 discussions   drillsergeant  icon_lol

Hero 1, one of CoX's mission "writers," posted to reassure COV fans that *both* COH and COV players get new "Midnight Hour" story arcs to do and hopefully enjoy:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=10383413&bodyprev=#Post10383413
The Midnight Squad missions, of which there are multiple arcs, are equal in content for both Heroes and Villains.

Heroes get a single longer StoryArc regarding the Midnight Squad and Villains get two shorter StoryArcs.

All of these arcs tie in to the Midnighter Club and the Cimerora, as well as two other arcs (one hero and one villain) that we didn’t mention in the release.

As far as the line from the release, “The Midnighters hold a secret that could bring the alien assault to an end, but without the help of the Heroes of Paragon City™ it will remain Lost forever.” That line refers to the Midnight Squads hero Story Arc.
If you prefer to solo and are impatient, I recommend a scrapper. Just about any type, but dark armor toggles are pretty exasperating in the endurance department.

If you're patient and prefer to solo, I think a Tank will make you even happier at the higher end of things.

If you're really patient and prefer to solo, then a controller with damagey pets (esp. fire controllers and illusionists with their Phantom Army) would be fun once you get into the pet stuff.

At their core, defenders are awesome support characters, so if you intend to never team up or help other players period, I just wouldn't waste time on them (even if it's quite possible to solo effectively with them, esp. with certain sets).

Can you solo with a blaster? Well sure. I venture there are probably more level 50 blasters in the game than any other AT. In fact until you start facing things that can mezz you, you'll be a whirl beater. But I've only managed to get one blaster past 38 (to 47), and so many things mezz you and knock you down and other nasty things in the higher levels, that it's really tough to solo on the high end (just my experience) unless you stock on the anti-mezz inspirations.

You can auto-complete missions (I want to say "abandon" but this actually completes a mission) once every X days now, so if you run into an AV or Elite Boss you can't handle solo, you can always use that feature to move on to the next one.

I think that's all the solo advice I have to give. Feel free to ignore it all or disagree - it's only based on my experience and how I feebly play the game.  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:14:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »

3 days is the 'drop mission' thing, if I remember right. But you're supposed to use that if the mission bugs out. Tongue

Blasters are a bit safer now, as you can use your first and second primary, and your first secondary whenever you're stunned, mezed, etc. But they're still squishy.

But anyway, as you said, back to Issue 12:

I'm glad to hear that Villains gets the bonus, too. I figured as such, but they never said that everything was for them too. Sounds like a lot of fun and such. And it'll definitely be Oro compatible, as the whole thing is based around time travel as it is.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 08:57:13 PM »

Ok, I don't get the option to chose hero or villain tried it a few times. What I did was I found a 14 day pass included in the box with CoV. I created an account using the buddy key and signed in using that info. Bingo there was CoH. So it came with the instal for CoV but I wasn't able to access it unless I used the 14 day trial.

I've created a MA-Willpower Scrapper...Named, Armbar.

I'll give him a good work out a bit later.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 12, 2008, 07:15:01 PM

Level Up Boost: Upon reaching enough XP to level up (at all levels), one of each type of large inspiration is immediately cast upon your character, and health and endurance bars are immediately filled.

About time. CoX was pretty much the only MMO that didn't give you full health whenever you leveled. And now you'll get one heck of a boost for a minute every time you do so.

This looks and sounds quite cool. Also, keep in mind, assuming they do the 10-20 missions right, you can always Flashback them. Gives the people at 50 the chance to see the new content.

Also, it's nice to see that they're redoing the Hollows. There's a reason why people avoid the zone like the plague when it becomes 'available'. It's WAY too big for when you don't have any standard travel power (short of the ones granted upon going the Bank missions earlier).

And Psychic Blasters? I just might play a Blaster again with that kind of power in my proverbial hands.

I actually don't like it when games heal you at level up because then it can sometimes make difficult battles trivial if you level up during them.  I remember many people in other games that would intentionally get everyone near level so they could defeat something they shouldn't be able to due to the free mp and hp they'd get when they ding halfway through.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 13, 2008, 12:41:51 AM

I've been having fun in CoV, as much as my goody-two-shoes mind set will let me. I didn't get the pack with CoH included but I think I'll pick it up tomorrow if I see it.

I have a lv22 brute, DB\Inul and I do like the set. But for some reason, and I've had this in all games I play, I can't get into the "evil" persona as much as I can the "good hero" type.

After 3 years in WoW I never played a Horde character more than a few levels for the same silly reason. I've tried and tried I just don't enjoy the evil side of things in games.

Sooooo.........I will start over, not a big deal I'm on lv 22, with a goody-two-shoes in CoH.

I also don't like the overly brooding atmosphere of CoV. Too apocalyptic for my tastes.

Any suggestions?

Don't buy the game again if you have it, as mentioned previously if you have either cov or coh, you have both.  They are not separate games anymore.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 11:09:54 PM »

Forgive me if this was already mentioned: What servers are most of you playing on?  I've been tempted to re-up my subscription and check this out again.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 01:30:04 AM »

Quote from: faide on March 13, 2008, 11:09:54 PM

Forgive me if this was already mentioned: What servers are most of you playing on?  I've been tempted to re-up my subscription and check this out again.

I think the other thread had a bunch of servers that everybody who was actively playing was on. I don't remember which ones they were offhand.

If you're interested in resubscribing (or anybody here for that matter - even if you've never subscribed before), shoot me a PM with your e-mail. I can give you an extra 15 days of gametime for free if you subscribe for a month. biggrin

And Arclight - I think you just created a brand new account that's not attached to your paying account. Strange that you don't have Heroes if you have Villains though.

About the level-up thing that'll be in I12 - levels come so slowly in Heroes (or used to) that it didn't matter if you gained full HP back when you did. It was just a nice thing. And with your End/HP naturally coming back so quickly (and being so able to lose it as quickly), I don't see this as game or boss breaking (unlike in MMOs like EQ or WoW).

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »

If there are several of us playing, I'd be glad to start a "CoX server player names" thread where we could limit it to just to posts about our toon names/servers/playtimes etc. Just out of paranoia paranoid, I usually only give my global chat ID out via PM. I mostly play on Pinnacle, though I have several mothballed Villains over on Protector.

Hey, War Witch at forums clarified that the Hollows improvements are strictly in terms of spawn mixes and sizes, and they have not done any structural changes to the Hollows zone as part of the makeover:

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Dev&Number=10384975&bodyprev=#Post10384975
War Witch, Level Designer who's doing the Hollows Gameplay Makeover, wanted me to point out that the changes are to address spawns and that there are no significant art changes (like moving buildings, etc.) being done with the changes.

We'll have more information and details about all the features of Issue 12: Midnight Hour in forthcoming web articles.
fwiw, when Dr. Barium (L39 empathy/rad blast defender on Pinnacle) is bored, he likes to go into the Hollows and give out fly-by heals, buffes and rezzes to the Little People. They always are appreciative, esp. given how large most of the mobs are there in the current configuration.  icon_smile Alas, the zone really is unpopular these days and Dr. B rarely finds any little ones to help out. *Blackjack exits "talking about himself in third person mode"*  smirk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 05:03:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »

There are several of us that play on Virtue. We have both a Superhero group and Supervillian group going.

my global is @hanton.

Harkonis is on a lot and he is the SG leader, his global is @harkonis.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 14, 2008, 04:59:13 PM

Hey, War Witch at forums clarified that the Hollows improvements are strictly in terms of spawn mixes and sizes, and they have not done any structural changes to the Hollows zone as part of the makeover:

Makes sense. Any hazard zone period tends to be harsh on single/small group characters, simply due to how many mobs tend to spawn as a group. And with generally fewer people on at any time, I can see the issue.

Of course, at higher levels, spawns of those numbers aren't a problem at all with my Scrapper. biggrin

And nice icon, Blackjack. I like. Maybe I'll retire Darth Helmet and switch to my 'main'... BTW - I play on Victory, but not that often unfortunately.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »

That's Dr. Barium though I have since added some "circuitry" green to his face to spice things up a bit.  icon_cool Since we're suddenly CoX-crazy here, maybe we can start a toon screenshots thread and start seeing what each other's creations look like.  icon_cool

Hey, City of Micro Transactions is growing by one soon:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=info&Number=10392241&bodyprev=#Post10392241
Our intent is add purchasable character slots to round out our existing services of Character Transfer and Character Rename. We hope to have this implemented and available shortly after Issue 12 Launch.
With all the Issue 12 lower level new/revamped stuff, a lot of folks expressed interest in more character slots though I'm sure there'll be much screaming of bloody murder over being charged for them.  icon_neutral

I dunno, I guess I'm not into alt-itis overload, and other than Pinnacle and Protector, I have way too many spare character slots on the other servers.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:59:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 12:00:23 AM »

I find it amazing that people still want more character slots. I mean, you're allowed to have what, 100+ characters in the game (12 per server x how many servers?). I could understand having more on a specific server, but...wow.

On the flip side, this is something that some other MMOs need to do. EQ2, I'm looking at you, especially.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »

They claim the microtransaction fees from Server Transfer and Character Rename helped fund some upcoming improvements/features that would have otherwise been delayed. So I guess to some extent we should only hope that that many people want to pay for extra character slots, if it means they can add some more goodies that would've otherwise gotten delayed.  icon_smile

I had read an interview in EDGE a while back with Bethesda, that even though there was much grumbling when they began charging for XBox360 version updates, bonus features (just new equipment in some cases), lots and lots of people were willing to pay the pocket change for them and it helped fund other things Bethesda wanted to do for it whereas they might have just stopped adding things to Oblivion otherwise.

It's a little different in this case since you're already paying about $15 a month, but I think like the iTunes model, you can find people willing to pay 99 cents or $1.99 or $2.99 for something that would make them blanche if they had to pay $10 or $15 more for it.

Dr. Barium hit 40 yesterday.

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 06:42:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 17, 2008, 05:35:29 PM

They claim the microtransaction fees from Server Transfer and Character Rename helped fund some upcoming improvements/features that would have otherwise been delayed. So I guess to some extent we should only hope that that many people want to pay for extra character slots, if it means they can add some more goodies that would've otherwise gotten delayed.  icon_smile

That's why I picked up the 'wedding pack' thingy - I wanted to support the devs more than my 38 month subscription has already done.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 07:25:22 PM »

The dev going as "Back Alley Brawler" had a funny post the other day when a fan was speculating the devs must all be "driving Hummers now" they're so rich. He mentioned he drives a '93 Toyota Corolla with 210,000 miles with one hubcap missing (I drive a '96 Corolla with 235,000 miles on it and horribly peeling hubcaps myself  icon_lol), . The message being that the playerbase fees of all kinds keeps them duly employed (which is no little thing, giving how often MMO teams get pared down or laid off), doing something they love, but hardly makes them wealthy.

So I guess every bit, such as yours (or my reactivating my account), helps.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »

Dev "Warwitch" (level designer Melissa Bianco) gives a peek at the upcoming Hollows makeover (although, as I understand it, there are no structural changes to the level because they couldn't - at the time - afford to give her much to work with in terms of staffing help/resources related to artwork and such):

Developer Diary – Giving the Hollows Zone a Makeover
http://www.cityofheroes.com/feature_update_issue_12a.html
In the past, there have been several common complaints about it: The content is repetitive and not all that interesting, framerate is poor, enemies are too hard, players can’t solo it, and they’re forced to go there to get missions!

So I wanted to go in and make some spawn changes, and make us all a lot happier with the zone. Going in, there was little in the way of outside resources (Art and Tech were heavily booked with the Issue 11 material) available to rework the zone, and I had a small window of opportunity to get the work done in.

In the end I just jumped in with both feet and started reworking the zone. I started by gutting every spawn in the Hollows and starting from scratch.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »

Saw a neat little tidbit that the Hollows makeover includes new "resurrection gurnies" at the front (presumably near the Atlas gate) so you'll no longer have to rez from Atlas and trudge back if you die (and can't get a buddy to rez you etc.):
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=newsdiscuss&Number=10437398&bodyprev=#Post10437398
Quote from: Lighthouse
War Witch is adding gurneys (ala the Safeguard missions) to the front of the zone that you will go to if you are overcome and hit ye olde hospital button.
Note that while you can rez at your SG base and then use the appropriate SG teleporter to get back to the Hollows, it dumps you smack into the middle of the zone on a safe spot on a hill - tough to travel from there though. Not really recommended for lowbies, unless you have the holiday or Good vs. Evil-set jetpack temp power.  icon_neutral

Which reminds me, apparently the Good vs. Evil box (COH/COV) is reaching cutout bin prices and may be worth picking up if only for the jetpack and some other unique perks it included. I think you only need to enter the code from the box in your PlayNC account to get the perks applied.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:46:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »

So does that mean the early game will be full of "start-overs" trying out the new content and power-sets?
Might have a bit of the early excitement of a new MMO..

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 09:44:05 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 21, 2008, 09:07:58 PM

So does that mean the early game will be full of "start-overs" trying out the new content and power-sets?
Might have a bit of the early excitement of a new MMO..

Yup. Happened in I11 when the new Tank/Scrapper/Brute set was released (Dual Blades/Willpower).

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »

In a group today two guys were talking about the poor performance they were getting with CoH..One mentioned that if you had a dual-core processor that you needed to add a line to the .exe shortcut to command CoH to utilize both cores. Is this right?

It was something like, -renderthread 1

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »

I'm still running old AMD64 crap so I can't vouch.  icon_confused I did see a brief thread at official forums mentioning it (the older threads may have been pruned from their boards):
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=technical&Number=10457681&Searchpage=1&Main=10457681&Words=renderthread&topic=&Search=true#Post10457681

I could definitely believe it, given that the game shipped in spring 2004 and I don't recall if dual cores had come out then. I was all excited about my AMD64 at the time.  Roll Eyes

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 25, 2008, 09:18:32 PM

In a group today two guys were talking about the poor performance they were getting with CoH..One mentioned that if you had a dual-core processor that you needed to add a line to the .exe shortcut to command CoH to utilize both cores. Is this right?

It was something like, -renderthread 1

I thought they fixed the detection process they used for that about a month or two ago, so you didn't have to do that anymore. Same with the Vista cursor compatibility 'issue' if you have an NVidia card. I could be very wrong though. However, that was the thingy you had to put in (that option would force the game into using two cores).

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: