http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:47:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City of Heroes to go F2P in the near future  (Read 1361 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »

It seems it's time to go to the Hybrid method of gaming - offering both F2P and traditional subscription models. CoX is apparently the next MMO to go that way.

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/news_archive/announcing_city_of_heroes_free_1.html

Announcing City of Heroes Freedom and Issue 21: Convergence!

City of Heroes Freedom™will be launching later this year and will be the new name for City of Heroes®. City of Heroes Freedom redefines City of Heroes based on the cornerstones of content, rewards, and choice. With City of Heroes Freedom, you will get the freedom to play and pay as you choose. Join the future of City of Heroes in City of Heroes Freedom. Freedom is the future!

Content

In City of Heroes Freedom, dive into new stories and features right away and enjoy more of them in the future. Freedom kicks off with a new free update, Issue 21: Convergence, and increases the pace of quality, high-energy content with regular new Issues, monthly signature story arcs, new weekly in-game store items, and high-level Incarnate Trials. Issue 21 packs in the First Ward co-op zone, gripped in mystical conflict, as well as the Time Manipulation Power Set, the IDF and Defense Costume Sets, and the Underground Incarnate Trial. Signature story arcs, free with VIP players' subscriptions, let you fight alongside iconic Heroes and Villains in story arcs that make a difference in the City of Heroes universe.

Best of luck to them. The F2P model has worked well for CO AFAIK (especially with the Steam promotion - ingame population skyrocketed with it over the weekend), so it'll hopefully help them too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »

Anyone know how this compares with Champions Online in terms of character customization and depth?
My son and I played CO for all of about 30 minutes before we decided it was just too much of an RPG lite. Too bad because many things about it are very nice. Our bottom line is we really don't want to play a MMORPG in which someone can't royally nerf their toon due to ignorance. I guess what were looking for is a game in which there's at least a 3-fold character matrix in which you can customize each aspect. We're currently loving the Savage Worlds - Super Powers P'n'P we have running, so we do really like the Super Hero themes.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »

Not sure what the F2P offers, but overall I vastly preferred CoX over CO.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »

Cool! I've been getting an itching to play this one again. Yes, yes, make it F2P and I'm there!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:16:52 PM »

While it will make me keen to re-visit, keep in mind as with the growing F2P hordes, it's just a different way to make money by penny, nickle and diming you to death with micro-transactions. NCSoft isn't suddenly a non-profit corporation.  icon_smile I fully expect STO to go this route at some point, even more so now that ownership is switching from Atari to a Chinese company that seems (maybe I'm wrong) to have more of an F2P background.

I've pretty well lost interest in MMOs (I should've canceled my Rift subscription, as I stopped playing several weeks ago, but I think my 3-month sub just got renewed), and everything turning F2P hasn't been enough to re-interest me. Hopefully SWTOR or something out there will pull me out of my MMO stupor later this year.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:19:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 21, 2011, 07:16:52 PM

While it will make me keen to re-visit, keep in mind as with the growing F2P hordes, it's just a different way to make money by penny, nickle and diming you to death with micro-transactions. NCSoft isn't suddenly a non-profit corporation.  icon_smile

Not to mention their other F2P offering to date -Dungeon Runners- was hardly free, in that you could hardly get past low mid levels withough forking out $. I'd give this game a whirl even if I could only level up to the lower mid levels, if it had a decent character matrix.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:47:02 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »

bring back Tabula Rasa as F2P!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:35:37 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 21, 2011, 03:31:22 PM

Anyone know how this compares with Champions Online in terms of character customization and depth?

Both games have more or less the same amount of character customization features, although I think CoX has a few more costumes overall. That said, CoX's engine is starting to look very behind the times (low polygon characters and mobs, but nice textures), so your mileage may vary.

As far as powers go, CoX offers 'classes' of a sort (you choose a class like a Blaster, Scrapper, etc), and then your Primary and Secondary powersets (so you can end up with say, a Claws/Regen Scrapper, or a Fire/Ice Blaster, etc), and then you pick your powers out of those. Along the way, you can get up to 4 power pools (generally 4 powers each) if you want a bit more diversity. There can be a lot of planning involved, but it's generally hard to truly nerf your character, as the more powerful powers are usually further down the line.

CO gives you total freeform (assuming you're a subscriber) power picks. So if you want to take a power from Fire for the first pick, Ice the next, and Electricity the third, you can. Powers are split into 3 tiers, and the upper tiers open up faster if you keep picking the same powers (so if you focus on say, Fire), but will still open up even if you jump around the board by the mid 20s. Picking CO's powers as thus is a lot more complex, but a lot more fun, as you can make the character you want to be. But you can also pick nothing but weak powers and not really know it, unless you look at the damage numbers (which are provided) before you pick them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »

Having played both games, I much preferred City of Heroes' more memorable content, including some of the better task forces and story arcs. I'd often really get caught up in the story, not just in the mechanics of trying to finish Quest X. However, a lot of people that worked on that may have moved on by now. I've been away from CoX for years and my affection for the content in the 2004-2007 era wasn't enough to make me re-visit.

City of Heroes Freedom, more details (returning former subscribers become "Premium Players" though there doesn't seem a lot of perks beyond retaining old stuff):
http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/freedom/freedom_overview.html
Content
In City of Heroes Freedom, dive in to new stories and features right away and enjoy more of them in the future. Freedom kicks off with a new free update, Issue 21: Convergence, and increases the pace of quality, high-energy content with regular new Issues, monthly signature story arcs, new weekly in-game store items, and high-level Incarnate Trials. Issue 21 packs in the First Ward co-op zone, gripped in mystical conflict, as well as the Time Manipulation Power Set, the IDF and Defense Costume Sets, and the Underground Incarnate Trial Signature story arcs, free with VIP players' subscriptions, let you fight alongside iconic Heroes and Villains in story arcs that make a difference in the City of Heroes universe.

Rewards
Current City of Heroes subscribers will continue as a VIP player in City of Heroes Freedom, gaining more features, services, and rewards in addition to what they have already received. Some rewards begin today, as all current City of Heroes subscribers will accrue 400 Paragon Points per month starting on their first billing cycle after July 1, 2011. At the launch of City of Heroes Freedom, you will be able to use Paragon Points to purchase new costumes, Powers Sets, and hundreds of new items from the in-game Paragon Market. The new Paragon Rewards program also rewards all levels of loyal players with new bonus content that you select, including exclusive rewards for VIP players.

Choice
Pay for the content and features that you want. Choose to play for free, or become a VIP player and command VIP service. With City of Heroes Freedom, you don't have to buy the game or pay a monthly fee to play. You can download the game and play for free for as long as you wish. If you upgrade to VIP player status you will unlock a bounty of content and benefits. You can also buy a variety of content and services from a new in-game store.
There's a "choices tab" laying things out (the "side by side comparisons" tab lays things out):
http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/freedom/player_choices.html#tabs-2

I have to figure out whether I want to re-visit STO, pay to get LOTRO's new high end, increased level cap content, or check this out. Or keep waiting for SWTOR.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:36:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »

This has been live for about a week now for anyone interested.  I and a good friend reloaded to replay some of our old Hero duo's.

morlac00 on PSN
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »

Quote from: morlac on October 06, 2011, 09:50:59 PM

This has been live for about a week now for anyone interested.  I and a good friend reloaded to replay some of our old Hero duo's.
i redownloaded (i played for a few months a year or two ago)... looks like there are 4 global slots (up to 2 heroes per server for freebies?)

what server are you guys spending most of your time on?  what type are your mains? (i have an old magic tank and a flying ranged guy)

anyone have a supergroup?
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 02:00:10 AM »

I play pretty exclusively on Virtue, I have a whole gambit of characters throughtout the level range. My Main is a 40ish controller and I have been playing quite a bit with a new 20ish controller and a 20ish scrapper.

I know theres some folks that play on Pinnacle and Exalted. There is a SG established on Virtue I can invite you in to as well but It appears I am the only one still actively playing on Viture.

If your bringing in some old characters be sure to respec if you have one available. The majority of the health pool is now given for free (no power pick spent) and you dont need to pre-req travel powers so depending on your original build you can regain 3 or 4 additional power picks.
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 03:29:51 AM »

I will have to start something on virtue... looks like my other toons are on freedom (highest is 14th level).

when i first logged in i thought i would be able to transfer them since there were messages about global slots needing to be unlocked, but it doesn't look like transfers are included

ps - lulz it has been forever since i played this game... i run over to the entrance to "the hollows" and try to change locations by running into the invisible barrier by the two cops... no go. I remember it being something simple to change zones but can't for the life of my figure it out (every other game in the world you run into the invisible wall and it changes zones!)

ps2 - i have a group called the infinity group on freedom if anyone wants an invite pm me (it is not built out at all just started it two years ago to have the free alt costume)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:58:51 AM by notrich » Logged
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »

Forgot to mention in previous post you can contact me in game via tell or email at @neuromancer. Mouse over either of the Police officers standing at the entrance and you should get the little blue "clicky" hand to enter. Same for any hazard zone.
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 06:11:40 AM »

black friday sale for vip starter kits... 99 cents

http://goingrogue.cityofheroes.com/en/news/featured-items-at-the-paragon-market-ncsoft-store---special-black-friday.html
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »

they extended the 99cent vip kits... last day is 12/5 (tomorrow)...  jump aboard either virtue or freedom server!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: