http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:52:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City of Heroes 2  (Read 762 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »

well, the name has finally been trademarked, but the really depressing thing is that Cryptic did it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:10:40 PM »

Ouch! What are they now , some sort of mediocore MMO factory?

A new one
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »

Will never trust anything that comes from Jack Emmert. The man screwed with City of and then went and made an prettier but still disappointing clone. Maybe DC Online can take the mantle from NCSoft as far as super hero games go, but I would rather the current crew was given a chance to do things right with a sequel they make. Oh and bring back CuppaJo.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »

Dunno what you talkin' 'bout Willis, but NCSoft trademarked it, not Cryptic:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ncsoft-trademarks-city-of-heroes-2
Publisher NCsoft was spotted trademarking City of Heroes 2 twice last week (by Superannuation).

Nothing further is known, and the trademark may be nothing more than future-proofing the name.
If you're so bored you really have to SEE the trademark filing, here 'tis:
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85004611
LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD
1. NCsoft Corporation

Address:
NCsoft Corporation
Oksan Building 157-33 Samsung-dong, Gangnam-gu
Seoul 135-090
Republic of Korea
Legal Entity Type: Corporation
State or Country of Incorporation: Republic of Korea
Although COH came out in April 2004 it had been in development for years. The engine's probably about 9 years old at this point. They can enhance it and expand it and glom onto it all they want, but (imho) if they ever want anything like the audience it had in 2004 (before WoW's launch) they'll probably have to try doing a true sequel at some point.

But as the trademark and domain name experts tend to point out, a lot of this is just staking out space on names or Web domains to prevent squatters from finding a way to get there first.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

It would be so cool if there were to be an E3 announcement.  icon_smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »

that's very good news.  I got my info from Game Informer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 06:15:12 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 02, 2010, 07:22:42 PM

that's very good news.  I got my info from Game Informer

You think NCSoft is a great developer?  I don't see that being the case.

IMO the only good game they have released is Guild Wars, but ArenaNet isn't doing CoH2 anyway.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »

I really enjoyed CoX and Aion and Guild Wars, so yes I do like them.  I really hated Champions and STO, so I hate them.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 03, 2010, 09:29:37 AM

I really enjoyed CoX and Aion and Guild Wars, so yes I do like them.  I really hated Champions and STO, so I hate them.

Oh I loved CoX, but Cryptic developed that, not NCSoft.  Cryptic sold the game/franchise to NCSoft very late in its stage, so NCSoft had nothing to do with that game other than publishing it.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 10:02:04 AM »

There isn't one company, that demands such great respect from me, that I would give my stamp of approval on anything they developed before I tried it out.

Proof is always in the pudding.

or

Show me the money..

Anyway, I'm pretty jaded and ultra cautious with any MMO announcement these days...

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 03, 2010, 09:40:17 AM

Oh I loved CoX, but Cryptic developed that, not NCSoft.  Cryptic sold the game/franchise to NCSoft very late in its stage, so NCSoft had nothing to do with that game other than publishing it.

I think you may be a little mixed up with the names though.  What is now Cryptic is made up of barely any of the CoX crew.  All but 1-3 of them stayed behind and work under NCSoft on CoX still.  The company named Cryptic has proven that they are incompetent in mmo development to me, even when it comes to just cloning their brainchild's main success.  They made a push to try to make money off the brand name that CoX built up.

The people I trust to do a game are in fact still working on CoX and have continued to make improvements on it.  I would be in if they were to do a sequel. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »

Harkonis - you beat me to it in explaining what Cryptic and Paragon Studios are and who is who. biggrin

And yeah, after all the years I put into CoX off and on (and the month or two I put into CO), I'd gladly jump into CoX2. It's a slower game, but it's so much more fun somehow.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:41:29 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on June 03, 2010, 10:02:04 AM

There isn't one company, that demands such great respect from me, that I would give my stamp of approval on anything they developed before I tried it out.

Proof is always in the pudding.

or

Show me the money..

Anyway, I'm pretty jaded and ultra cautious with any MMO announcement these days...

how about pudding with money in it?  or money made out of pudding?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 04:14:26 PM »

show me the pudding money!  How about $100 of vanilla pudding?  That's a lot of pudding... oh yeah.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 03, 2010, 04:14:26 PM

show me the pudding money!  How about $100 of vanilla pudding?  That's a lot of pudding... oh yeah.

$100 bucks could buy a lot of snack packs......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 03, 2010, 10:06:11 AM

I think you may be a little mixed up with the names though.  What is now Cryptic is made up of barely any of the CoX crew.  All but 1-3 of them stayed behind and work under NCSoft on CoX still.  The company named Cryptic has proven that they are incompetent in mmo development to me, even when it comes to just cloning their brainchild's main success.  They made a push to try to make money off the brand name that CoX built up.

The people I trust to do a game are in fact still working on CoX and have continued to make improvements on it.  I would be in if they were to do a sequel. 

Oh ok, I knew that some of the original Cryptic devs stayed with NCSoft but I didn't really keep track of how many.  I was under the impression that it was a minority percentage.

As for Champions Online, I'll post about that game in its thread, because I just started playing it recently.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »

I disagree. I think that NCsoft had the good sense to let the devs at Paragon make some changes for the better. I think they've allowed Paragon to do their jobs. Not sure every publisher can say that. I also think the crew at NCsWest is doing a heck of a job on Aion.  No, I'm not just saying that because I've been trying to get a job working with them. Yes, they've had some snags at times. But I think they do a remarkable job given the constraints they have to work within.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: