http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:09:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of Spellborn going into MMO Heaven  (Read 673 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2009, 05:08:23 AM »

was it that bad that it needed to go back?  is this a first?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:42:46 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:54:48 AM »

I tried it out. In spite of being pretty keen on it beforehand, I ended up only logging into it twice. I think it was the graphics that bugged me. Admittedly I would normally give a game more of a chance than that, but it just didn't click.

Atomic
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 05:57:51 AM »

Oh I remember. I was having trouble with the action roller/cylinder/bar control pod. I like the idea on it, but was having trouble implementing what I wanted to make it do.

Atomic
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »

It definitely needed some time to cook. It was never a AAA title and I don't think the subscription model is right for this kind of game.

There were so many things they did wrong at the start of this game. First was the publisher shenanigans with IP blocks for different regions, then no credit card subscription option for people wanting to play. Then there was that issue of gameguard that really turns some people off. Then the false positives for some virus checkers that freaked out a lot of people. There is also a poor starting experience where they drop you into the newbie zone at PeP 0 (very very slow running) with a bunch of delivery and kill quests and not much instruction in how to use the skill deck. It was all just a big cocktail of failure.

But the game does offer some innovative ideas. There is so much to like in this game. The story lines are far better than any other MMOG I have played including The Lord of the Rings. The combat is exciting and most importantly its not the same-old same-old auto-attack crap we've been using for the last 10 years. The game's atmosphere, sounds, music, and lighting made it one of the most immersive MMORPG's I've ever played. The PeP system and how its used for death penalties was just genius. It was the best death penalty system in the genre, IMO. Fortunately Champions Online is borrowing the same style of death penalty system.

Its sad to see innovation rewarded with bankruptcy while imitation gets millions of subs. Hopefully the changes they will make are just what the game needs. If they had added mounts, PvP shard control, and put some more emphasis on the Sigil system (Spellborn's gear) then the game would be much much better off.

EDIT: I'd like to add that the game isn't closing down or anything. They recently made a bunch of changes to the newbie zone. I played around with it a bit and it seems pretty cool. There were lots of drunken sailors and some pretty cool quests in the new port town. Its definitely worth checking out. Its still free to level 10 and worth a few nights of entertainment at the very least just to see Spellborn's style of gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 01:54:32 PM by Aganazer » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »

apparently they're closing up shop at the end of the month.  no official announcement yet just a email from a Playdom rep.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:40:32 AM »

Sad news. It definitely did not deserve such an obscure fate. As stated above, it had a lot of cool ideas, but the Dutch developers never got it quite finished. I was in the Euro beta before they even region-locked that, then had to wait for the North American release. The whole IP issue was a disaster that limited the population at launch and, imo, resulted in the game never gaining a critical mass of players. It was hard to find groups outside the starter areas after the first few weeks. There were 5 factions yet almost everyone piled into one of them, leaving 4 underdogs.

I loved the art style, the ambiance, the combat system and the lore. It felt a little like Ryzom, another MMO that launched with low population and never got rolling.

At least it introduced me to Within Temptation, the Dutch symphonic metal band that did a song for it back in 2007.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: