http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 04:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Champions Online Open Beta impressions (starting Aug. 17)  (Read 41000 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 02, 2009, 02:55:54 AM »

This guy's name was Cosmic Posthumous Apparition
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 02, 2009, 03:30:45 AM »

I have to say, I plowed through to close to level 13 without any issue.  In many ways, it actually seems easier.  Looking at the nerf list, however, I only see things in my future that have been nerfed -- outside of the passives, of course.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 02, 2009, 03:43:55 AM »

From all the complaints about the nerf I was expecting the game to be impossible to play. After several hours I didn't notice too much difference than before. With my solo character I was completing missions just fine but did notice battles were slightly longer (electricity build with no defensive/offensive buffs). I did have one super villain battle which lasted about 30 seconds (20 seconds more than usual) but still was not a close battle. It was nice to see the villain laster longer, as they were able to get off several powers during the course of the battle. Normally they get off 1 charged attack and then be dead.

Playing as a team (2 players) was little different than before. We were still plowing through mobs and multiple ones. Triple health mobs did take a bit longer to kill but other than two or three times where we got overwhelmed I didn't feel in danger.

So I'm not sure what all the complaints are about. Even in the game chat people were complaining of nerfs. From what I've seen the game still needs to be tweaked to make things more difficult.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 02, 2009, 06:27:32 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 02, 2009, 03:43:55 AM

So I'm not sure what all the complaints are about. Even in the game chat people were complaining of nerfs. From what I've seen the game still needs to be tweaked to make things more difficult.

I'm not surprised.  You see this time and time again with all MMOs... lots of players whine and overreact to nerfs, when it's still perfectly possible to progress in the game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 02, 2009, 07:12:26 AM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 02, 2009, 11:51:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 02, 2009, 07:12:26 AM

Stuff

Hehe...before logging last night I sat there at the station in Canada and witnessed that horrible parade of horribleness myself.  icon_lol

Some are good, but when they're bad...they're oh so bad.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 02, 2009, 01:01:04 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 02, 2009, 03:43:55 AM

From all the complaints about the nerf I was expecting the game to be impossible to play. After several hours I didn't notice too much difference than before. With my solo character I was completing missions just fine but did notice battles were slightly longer (electricity build with no defensive/offensive buffs). I did have one super villain battle which lasted about 30 seconds (20 seconds more than usual) but still was not a close battle. It was nice to see the villain laster longer, as they were able to get off several powers during the course of the battle. Normally they get off 1 charged attack and then be dead.

Playing as a team (2 players) was little different than before. We were still plowing through mobs and multiple ones. Triple health mobs did take a bit longer to kill but other than two or three times where we got overwhelmed I didn't feel in danger.

This ^^.  Still seems incredibly easy to me.  Easier now, even, because I know what I'm doing better.  +2 level supervillain? No problem.  Also, it's not like I'm the greatest player ever to grace Millennium City.  Nor have I really looked into the stats and systems driving the combat engine.  I take powers that seem effective in the powerhouse, fit with my overall character concept and seem to fill a gap in my build.

But it is odd and disturbing that these "nerfs" went in without a free respec or, at least affordable respecs.

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:22 PM »

I had a lot of fun playing yesterday.  I went with a hero that looks like an alien (someone mentioned that in this thread I believe, which inspired me).  He has a wrist bolter to generate energy and uses telepathic powers.  All power choices so far have gone towards the theme -- I am much more interested in theme-related powers than becoming overpowered.

I died several times -- once when getting overwhelmed by 6 even-level henchmen (even though earlier I had successfully fought off 8 -- didn't get any health orbs the second time).  The other time I died twice to a super-villain in the Desert (you can probably guess who, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone).  I definitely didn't feel overpowered.  I did take one power I didn't care for and paid the outrageous price to respec -- it cost me about half of what I had earned up to that point.  I really wish there were somewhere in the powerhouse you could go to fight things that actually fought back.  The dummies are OK for testing attack powers, but not useful for testing healing and defense powers.

I'm looking forward to playing more if I can tonight.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 02, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »

I was really liking the new difficulty change. Out of the 8 characters I tried, only one ran into a problem. My support sorcery character with a +damage support passive and no defenses could not kill Phorosoe in the Desert.  crybaby Other than that, it was a awesome 15 hour game session yesterday.

I can't recommend this enough, but get yourself into a group of 3+ at all costs. The 'run for help' mechanic is totally nuts. Sometimes we would end up fighting 12+ MOB's at once. It really got me thinking about my builds and how I play in a team. I have tried the DPS role in a group like this and the tank role, but haven't tried to go full on support in a 3+ group yet (only a two player group). Other than the general lack of some quality of life features for grouping, it is looking like this may turn into a fine grouping game after all.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #729 on: September 02, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »

If you really need to figure out how a power works, there's nothing better than a duel, unfortunately. Just let them know you're trying something and odds are they'll help you out.

And yes, even with today's 'respec price reduction' respecs are still outrageously expensive. As far as I'm concerned, the last power or two should be really cheap. Beyond that, yes, rank up the costs quickly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #730 on: September 02, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »

Quote from: Butterknife on September 02, 2009, 03:36:22 PM

I really wish there were somewhere in the powerhouse you could go to fight things that actually fought back.  The dummies are OK for testing attack powers, but not useful for testing healing and defense powers.

There is a room that shoots lasers at you and I think they do different damage types.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 02, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »

Anyone pre-order from D2D and get their bonus item?
I can't find mine anywhere, if I received it at all.

Checked the C-Store, Tailor etc, all the places you'd think it would be.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: September 02, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »

It's not an actual item, just an extra costume part under the Back header. Go to the costume designer to see it. It's got its own section in the upper right of the menus.

This all assumes you've actually registered your preorder key first though.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: September 02, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 02, 2009, 06:21:30 PM

It's not an actual item, just an extra costume part under the Back header. Go to the costume designer to see it. It's got its own section in the upper right of the menus.

Yup, check the treasure box in the tailor/creation interface.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 02, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »

I was surprised to find myself standing alongside Chuck Noriss this afternoon....not sure why he had a tentacle attached to his back, though.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 03, 2009, 12:39:38 AM »

Maybe my character stinks but post nerf a Super Villian fight will last me minutes at times and there is a good chance I will need to run.  Before the patch it still took forever to bring on down, but at least I didn't have to run.

So far I only have Force powers.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 03, 2009, 02:29:59 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on September 03, 2009, 12:39:38 AM

Maybe my character stinks but post nerf a Super Villian fight will last me minutes at times and there is a good chance I will need to run.  Before the patch it still took forever to bring on down, but at least I didn't have to run.

So far I only have Force powers.

what you describe is how a fight with a 'Super Villain' should be.  What you describe before is a balance issue.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 03, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »

They just announced free respec for all characters created during the head start.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=52880
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #738 on: September 03, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on September 03, 2009, 06:10:45 PM

They just announced free respec for all characters created during the head start.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=52880

That's an invalid link. Removed for a reason?  icon_twisted

And maybe they should've told us this on Monday instead of today (as I deleted a busted mid-teen character because of it).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 03, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »

What a laugh. Things are going a little bumpy for the men in tights over at Cryptic today.

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 03, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 03, 2009, 07:27:02 PM

What a laugh. Things are going a little bumpy for the men in tights over at Cryptic today.

Their web server seems to be sick at the moment.

News link for it: http://www.champions-online.com/node/498387
Forum Post: http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=52867
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 03, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »

Yeah, patcher is fubar as well. Since this morning all I get is, Trying to update the launcher, please be patient.

Its like they know their patcher sucks so they ask you to be patient even before you've waited a minute.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 03, 2009, 07:39:12 PM

Yeah, patcher is fubar as well. Since this morning all I get is, Trying to update the launcher, please be patient.

Its like they know their patcher sucks so they ask you to be patient even before you've waited a minute.

Strange - the front end has worked great for me every day since 'live' so far.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 03, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 03, 2009, 07:47:54 PM

Lucky I guess. I'm not the only one timing out all day. Huge problem.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: September 03, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 03, 2009, 07:59:02 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 03, 2009, 07:47:54 PM

Lucky I guess. I'm not the only one timing out all day. Huge problem.

There's a note on the front end saying the patcher has blown up. At 9:30AM my time it said it was down with an ETA of 12:00 noon. It's nearly 3PM and there's still no 'back up' message. And the forums and front end are pretty much offline, too.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 03, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »

Shark fin in the water

Papa Palpatine when not swinging

I spotted Ken Masters

Angry Alien!

New Gamestop wings and Rank 2 zombies
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 03, 2009, 09:55:09 PM »

forums are working fine for me, but the patcher is definitely upset
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 04, 2009, 03:03:12 AM »

Dunno if ya'll saw...

Today's Outage: September 3, 2009
http://www.champions-online.com/node/498396
During our nightly maintenance, a new member of our Network Operation team incorrectly updated our patching manifest file [oops! smirk]. The result of this error required us to do a complete resync of the patching system and affected log-ins. Fortunately our infrastructure is highly resilient, so while the transfer of this much data was a lengthy process; it wasn’t a difficult one. This resync resulted in no character or game data loss, just an unfortunately extended period of down time.

Due to the lengthy down time we will be extending all affected subscribers an additional day of free game time. Our desire is to have you as unaffected by this issue as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused.
I still hope to re-visit the game some day, but I think my earlier statement that sometimes I'm not sure Cryptic has any idea what they're doing still holds true. In fact, now that they're also hiring people who don't know what they're doing, it's that much more true. icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: September 04, 2009, 03:30:54 AM »

Well, at least they're admitting to the mistake immediately and giving everyone a free day that day.

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 04, 2009, 02:36:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 04, 2009, 03:03:12 AM

In fact, now that they're also hiring people who don't know what they're doing, it's that much more true. icon_smile

Yes, hiring people is shady, especially in these economic conditions. Hiring that person must have been a knee jerk reaction that shows they have no confidence in their product. I think it was all a money grab. Incompetence must be a job requirement because they hired Bill and we all know Bill is teh evil and only wants to swindle you into lifetime subs and give you RMT like those korean F2P games. Failsauce. /ragequit

icon_twisted  icon_wink

Okay back to playing Grambo.  icon_biggrin
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: September 04, 2009, 03:49:49 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on September 04, 2009, 02:36:15 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on September 04, 2009, 03:03:12 AM

In fact, now that they're also hiring people who don't know what they're doing, it's that much more true. icon_smile

Yes, hiring people is shady, especially in these economic conditions. Hiring that person must have been a knee jerk reaction that shows they have no confidence in their product. I think it was all a money grab. Incompetence must be a job requirement because they hired Bill and we all know Bill is teh evil and only wants to swindle you into lifetime subs and give you RMT like those korean F2P games. Failsauce. /ragequit

icon_twisted  icon_wink

Okay back to playing Grambo.  icon_biggrin
I feel bludgeoned by the irony mallet.  icon_eek

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: September 04, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 04, 2009, 03:30:54 AM

Well, at least they're admitting to the mistake immediately and giving everyone a free day that day.

They aren't giving me a free day, Bastards. Lifetime subs need love too!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 04, 2009, 04:13:22 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 04, 2009, 04:02:48 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 04, 2009, 03:30:54 AM

They aren't giving me a free day, Bastards. Lifetime subs need love too!

+1
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: September 04, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »

Bit of a nightmare for me, my pre order hasn't shipped but is packing so can't cancel it but won't arrive till next week, probably till mid week at that. Hoping my headstart code will keep working for bit.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: September 04, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on September 04, 2009, 04:58:03 PM

Hoping my headstart code will keep working for bit.

US head start codes were good until the 7th I think.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 04, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »

Yeah there was something like a 6-day delay built in, presumably for the sake of mail order customers.

The Champs boxes at Best Buy Wednesday and Target today taunted me, but I would not give in.  icon_razz Maybe if someone does a little sale.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 04, 2009, 11:36:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 04, 2009, 08:20:02 PM

Yeah there was something like a 6-day delay built in, presumably for the sake of mail order customers.

The Champs boxes at Best Buy Wednesday and Target today taunted me, but I would not give in.  icon_razz Maybe if someone does a little sale.

I heard there are some game engine performance improvements coming down the pipe soon. I would suspect that your motion sickness had a lot to do with the client performance. I still get frame rates in the low teens sometime with a Core 2 Duo E8400 and a NVidia GTX 275. The game engine has horrible performance.

My wife was having the same motion sickness issue and $300.00 worth of PC upgrades later it seems to be okay for her now.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 05, 2009, 03:01:16 AM »

Quote from: Aganazer on September 04, 2009, 11:36:36 PM

I heard there are some game engine performance improvements coming down the pipe soon. I would suspect that your motion sickness had a lot to do with the client performance. I still get frame rates in the low teens sometime with a Core 2 Duo E8400 and a NVidia GTX 275. The game engine has horrible performance.

My wife was having the same motion sickness issue and $300.00 worth of PC upgrades later it seems to be okay for her now.
There you go, Blackjack.  finger

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 05, 2009, 04:37:46 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on September 05, 2009, 03:01:16 AM

The UI seems to be a big performance hawg right now. You can get about 25% better frame rates with it turned off. What I heard is that they have some improvements in the works that should help that. I dunno if it will be enough to cure Blackjack's motion sickness, but it can't hurt.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 05, 2009, 10:58:55 AM »

Quote from: Aganazer on September 05, 2009, 04:37:46 AM

Quote from: Hotfreak on September 05, 2009, 03:01:16 AM

The UI seems to be a big performance hawg right now. You can get about 25% better frame rates with it turned off. What I heard is that they have some improvements in the works that should help that. I dunno if it will be enough to cure Blackjack's motion sickness, but it can't hurt.
They have some issues with a lot of the graphics processing load falling on the cpu, too -- although they might see that as a "feature".

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: