http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:00:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What Champions Online Pricing Plan do you expect to go for?
$199.99 Lifetime ["Party of super heroes to beam down to the planet's surface, Scotty!"]
$59.99 6-mo. plan ["Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a lifetime subscriber!"]
$14.99 monthly ["Analyzing planet surface to determine suitability for super hero life forms."]
Are you crazy! I haven't even tried it yet! ["Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a super hero!"]

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Champions Online (Cryptic's new MMO)  (Read 57428 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:46 PM »

Bill Roper's back, promising the Brooklyn Bridge for a dollar again...  Roll Eyes

State of the Game – 10/27/09
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=1318027
Our Mission: To Make More Missions
We’re constantly going through our forums, looking at what you want from the game. Based on this feedback, we’ve put in a lot of content out there in the first 2 months the game has been live – with our new Millennium City and Crossover Missions being the most recent additions:

New Millennium City Missions
New mission chains for heroes of levels 18 - 21 have opened up in Millennium City!

ARGENT at Arms - The corporate giant ARGENT has obtained of the top-secret schematics for the super-villain prison Stronghold and is planning to sell it to the highest bidder. Heroes must infiltrate ARGENT headquarters to recover the plans and discover the mastermind behind this plot.

Try it On for PSIs - There's a conflict breaking out between the mysterious PSI organization known and the ARGENT mega-corporation. What’s so valuable that has these two powerful groups fighting each other? No matter what the cause, the bloodshed must be stopped!

Crossover Missions
Heroes can now share missions with their teammates, even if that teammate is not eligible for, or has already completed the mission! This is an excellent way to help your friends with missions and get additional experience and resources for your good deeds in the process.

The shared mission becomes a “Crossover Mission” for your teammate. If there is an item required for the mission to be completed, they’ll receive it when you share the mission. The mission needs to be turned in at the contact that gives out the original mission, and a hero that completes the Crossover mission receives their own separate mission reward.

Blood Moon Rocks! What’s Next?

We’re working on “Flashbacks” that will let you replay missions you’ve previously completed but want to try again. There is a new repeatable Lair in the works that will feature some very special villains, as well as one that will shake you to the core of your reality. We’re also making passes on the powers right now, focusing on like-types of powers (Offensive Passives, Travel Powers, etc.) and will be rolling out balance changes in the weeks to come. We’re also starting work on our Winter Event that will roll out in December. And then there’s the very big surprise we have in store for early 2010
Oh Bill! You're such a tease!  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 30, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »

This Massively screed against fan criticism of the game (my wording, just based on the article writer's snarky attitude) and the new store (it's marked as Zero comment, but when you go to the page 2 jump, there are 56 comments) seemed to touch a nerve:

Anti-Aliased: I like walking into towering infernos (like the Champions Online C-Store) pt. 2

http://www.massively.com/2009/10/29/anti-aliased-i-like-walking-into-towering-infernos-like-the-p2/
It has a lot of posts - some reasoned, some frothing at the mouth - from people who've canceled. One of the more reasoned took the view that it's just too early in the game's lifespan (vs., say, CoX adding it years after release) to open a microtransactions store
Quote from: Arcadian
C-Store is one of the main reasons I canceled. Why?

Not because of microtransactions. You can't fault an MMO company wanting to make money off of optional services. That's just the future of the industry. But the games you compared CO to (WoW, GW, CoX) all have something in common:

They all built up significant content BEFORE opening their microtransaction stores.

Here's where your theory that Champions Online has reasonable prices falls completely apart: You can't compare one game's microtransactions to another without taking into consideration all the game has to offer, and Champions Online has pitiful content right now. PvE from 1-40 is trivial (you can skip the tutorial now and start at 5), PvP is completely broken and there is no endgame content save two broken 5-man lairs and the crapshoot that is UNITY missions.

Seeing all the effort Cryptic put into the C-Store is insulting compared to the fact that the entire Lemuria zone is a nightmare, powers are still broken and entire powersets are unfinished, and the game has about 40% of the content it needs.

To me, this says Cryptic is more worried about squeezing extra bucks out of what little playerbase is left than adding content and fixing problems that have been there since closed beta.
Interesting stuff. I don't see that too much at the official forums because understandably (as with all MMOs) any "I'm quitting because of so and so!" threads get locked though usually not deleted.

I guess chances are, Cryptic would deny that the C-store took away from dev time for bug fixes and content upgrades. And fwiw the game still seems to be selling briskly at least through digital distribution outlets (Direct2Drive, Steam etc.), regardless of what buzz might indicate.

Mr. Roper would suggest "Blood Moon Rocks! And it'll fix everything! Come back!"  smirk
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:03:25 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 30, 2009, 12:56:39 PM »

The C-Store was planned from the beginning.  Not like they are springing it on us like other games did.  And, as a developer myself, I'm betting there really are different resources assigned to different tasks.  I bought the lifetime and I'm very very happy with my choice  nod

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: October 30, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »

And what does the C-Store offer you? A few more costume pieces. So you can get about 20 new pieces (not new sets, individual pieces) but you still have a few hundred ones included in your subscription fee/purchase/whatever. Frankly, I can't figure out why people are complaining so much.

Additionally, you can purchase more costume slots for all your characters (a nice thing), more character slots (useful, but you still have 8 I think to start with), change your name (yay?), and purchase actual respecs (instead of getting the 'gold' needed to get them ingame).

Oh, and there's some so-so looking action figures as well.

Here's the part I don't get - most preorders came with 400 C-Store bucks. That's enough to get one of the new costume packs, or the costume slots, or the name change. Why are people complaining so much?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 19, 2010, 10:33:08 PM »

state of the game.  kinda kicking myself for not grabbing it over the holidays, but it's already down to 20 bucks so I imagine they'll have another sale eventually.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 17, 2010, 03:42:15 AM »

Shannon Posniewski (Poz, I believe he's a former City of Heroes dev from way back) has taken over the Executive Producer reins from Bill Roper, fwiw (Roper's not leaving Cryptic though)

Bill Roper no longer executive producer of Champions Online, game improvements promised
http://www.massively.com/2010/03/16/bill-roper-no-longer-executive-producer-of-champions-online-game-improvements-promised/

From the latest State of the Game:
http://www.champions-online.com/node/594888
Shannon Posniewski, or Poz on the forums, is taking over as Executive Producer on Champions Online as I [Roper] move to other design responsibilities within Cryptic Studios. Shannon has been with Cryptic since back in the “City of” days, is Director of Game Programming, and has been serving as our lead programmer since before launch. He is an incredible force for getting things done and is tied into the technology of the game while having an earnest desire to work with the community and take Champions to the next level. He’s constantly on the forums, so rest assured he’s going to see what it is you’re looking for.
There's actually a lot of promising content additions and adventure packs, but Lord knows Cryptic is good at promising stuff.

Perhaps down the road, post-Revelation, I'll be willing to give it another whirl.

btw, they announced (at least temporarily) a new $29.95 3-month subscription offer, just got an e-mail about it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:36:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: March 17, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »

I just bought this for £2.99 but will hold off installing it until revelation is out. Can't really go wrong for that price.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 26, 2010, 04:17:36 PM »

the 360 port has been killed.

Because I can,
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 27, 2010, 04:24:15 AM »

Anyone taking advantage of the free weekend 26th - 29th? I received the email inviting me to jump in this weekend but my account has not been reactivated. Is cryptic requiring previous account holders to download the trial client rather then being able to play off my purchased install??
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: March 27, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »

Quote from: Abaddon on March 27, 2010, 04:24:15 AM

Anyone taking advantage of the free weekend 26th - 29th? I received the email inviting me to jump in this weekend but my account has not been reactivated. Is cryptic requiring previous account holders to download the trial client rather then being able to play off my purchased install??

AFAIK that would make no sense. At worse it would just take your install and 'convert' it to the trial one. But that would be a ton of bandwith, so it makes sense to just use your purchased install and update it instead.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 05, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »

the super power pack is on the way.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 05, 2010, 04:52:09 PM

And I think this takes the cake for 'Longest Patch Notes EVAR'. Very long story short - Melee got the balancing pass it needed oh, when CO launched.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 06, 2010, 02:43:32 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 05, 2010, 05:43:54 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 05, 2010, 04:52:09 PM

And I think this takes the cake for 'Longest Patch Notes EVAR'. Very long story short - Melee got the balancing pass it needed oh, when CO launched.
I guess I'm reading that as Melee is now more powerful? The "melee review" part of the notes seems to suggest that, although clearly it looks like every single power set in the game has been rebalanced in some way (or at least, "a lot of them"  icon_smile)

I just know all my builds in late beta seemed horribly underpowered, and I was constantly face planted if I didn't have help (I had fun teaming up but as I've whined with STO, the lack of a dedicated, non-private LFG channel really makes teaming up tougher than it needed to be).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: May 06, 2010, 03:51:08 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 06, 2010, 02:43:32 AM

I just know all my builds in late beta seemed horribly underpowered, and I was constantly face planted if I didn't have help (I had fun teaming up but as I've whined with STO, the lack of a dedicated, non-private LFG channel really makes teaming up tougher than it needed to be).

The difference between late beta and release as far as difficulty went was dramatic. It went from reasonably challenging to practically easy-mode when CO launched.

Unless you were a melee player anyway. You were screwed no matter what you did. biggrin

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 06, 2010, 02:29:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 06, 2010, 03:51:08 AM

The difference between late beta and release as far as difficulty went was dramatic. It went from reasonably challenging to practically easy-mode when CO launched.

Unless you were a melee player anyway. You were screwed no matter what you did. biggrin
What's odd to me is that STO did the same thing with its difficulty level. Ramped it from pretty tough in late beta (I sometimes found it frustrating, but I liked the element of risk -- it wasn't frustrating me the way CO did in late beta) to cakewalk at launch, and they're still trying to figure out an appropriate balance at this point along with a difficulty slider.

Anyway, I'm eager to hear how the re-balancing works out and maybe I can re-visit CO sometime this summer. I still have my client installed from my last re-visit (which was well after launch).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:54:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: May 06, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »

Hopefully the next thing they work on is new L1-L30 content. It gets an A+ in the variety of character creation/classes but its so hard playing through the same exact areas each time you start a new character. I love the class I'm playing but running through those same missions/areas kills the fun.

$30 expansion for those level ranges with a few new "dungeons" and it'd be a sale.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: May 06, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 06, 2010, 07:20:13 PM

$30 expansion for those level ranges with a few new "dungeons" and it'd be a sale.

There's absolutely no way the playerbase will allow that to happen at any price point. Remember the utter uproar (and firing) when they early-announced they'd be selling some mini-expansion for $5? The person who leaked it was fired, and it was changed to be free shortly thereafter.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »

imho, their best best is to keep improving the game and adding content, and then trying to re-launch in stores, Steam etc. at some point as a 2.0 version of the game in hopes of growing the playerbase. But I don't see them trying to punish what's left of the launch playerbase with a paid expansion any time remotely soon. Then again, Cryptic doesn't ask me for advice on what's the sensible thing to do, clearly.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:50:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 07, 2010, 12:18:18 AM »

If they can do it for free great. But somehow I bet any free content will come piecemeal over time which you would blow through within an hour or two when released. I'd pay $30 to get a large content update, covering a wide range of levels, offering many hours of play, and having it all at once.

Or if they're too lazy steal City of Hero's archetect tool and let the playerbase build new stuff.

They need to do something big and soon about the lack of overall content to keep the game fresh.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 07, 2010, 03:06:34 AM »

Some day the MMO makers/publishers/powers that be will end the philosophy of "It's more important for us to launch our prematurely released, half-baked, unbalanced, missing features, half-implemented promises MMO by some arbitrary release date and hear the happy ka-ching of game purchases in our coffers and then watch 40-60-80% of the playerbase quickly fade away in droves in anger and disappointment" and instead take whatever funding steps are necessary to put off a launch until it's really ready and is in good enough shape to retain launch players than drive them away.

But for now, we'll probably just keep seeing them (meaning MMO makers/publishers in general) do things the way they are and wonder why it is when they finally get their MMO in shape, not a whole lot of burned players feel like coming back.

Hey I'm 45 now, I can be cynical.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: May 07, 2010, 05:52:51 AM »

There are exceptions. Both LOTRO and WoW were polished at launch, though both have changed considerably since.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 07, 2010, 02:02:21 PM »

I was mostly taking jibes at the "new" Cryptic and Funcom (no matter how good Godslayer is, and how many updates they do, they'll never imho get anywhere close to the playerbase they had and drove away at launch).

I'm incredulous that Cryptic's Roper is talking about Cryptic's "next" game already (albeit vaguely).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 20, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »

anyone still subbing will have a chance to play against the devs later today.

Because I can,
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 20, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 07, 2010, 03:06:34 AM

Some day the MMO makers/publishers/powers that be will end the philosophy of "It's more important for us to launch our prematurely released, half-baked, unbalanced, missing features, half-implemented promises MMO by some arbitrary release date and hear the happy ka-ching of game purchases in our coffers and then watch 40-60-80% of the playerbase quickly fade away in droves in anger and disappointment" and instead take whatever funding steps are necessary to put off a launch until it's really ready and is in good enough shape to retain launch players than drive them away.

But for now, we'll probably just keep seeing them (meaning MMO makers/publishers in general) do things the way they are and wonder why it is when they finally get their MMO in shape, not a whole lot of burned players feel like coming back.

Hey I'm 45 now, I can be cynical.  icon_razz

As pointed out by TiLT, there are exceptions to that rule.  But I tend to agree and frankly, from a business standpoint, I don't understand why this is done.  There's more than enough examples of the negative consequence of releasing a half-baked MMO.  Didn't anyone learn from the Matrix Online?  SWG?  Tabula Rasa?  D&D Online (which only succeeded once it went F2P)?  Vanguard?  AoC?  Warhammer?  Champions Online?  Star Trek?  The list goes on and on.

All of these were big-budget MMOs and all had great potential.  Many of these - especially AoC and Warhammer - had pretty large launches with a huge influx of new players.  I think WAR hit almost 1 million buyers in the first month.  Yet all weren't ready for prime-time and squandered what goodwill they had with the players to the point that they never recovered. 

I understand financial problems creep up - like when Vanguard ran out of money.  But you can't tell me it's a good business decision to release a product 6 months early that never catches on versus releasing a polished product that has long-term viability.  I truly feel that if WAR had 6 more months of solid development on their T3 and T4 PvP, they'd have well over a million subscribers and would be considered the #2 MMO in the land.  If AoC had 6 months to add compelling quest content after Tortuga, players would still be singing its praises. 

I just don't get it.  If these executives are that short-sighted, how did they get into their positions to make these decisions? 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 21, 2010, 11:28:58 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 20, 2010, 03:07:02 PM

I understand financial problems creep up - like when Vanguard ran out of money.  But you can't tell me it's a good business decision to release a product 6 months early that never catches on versus releasing a polished product that has long-term viability.  I truly feel that if WAR had 6 more months of solid development on their T3 and T4 PvP, they'd have well over a million subscribers and would be considered the #2 MMO in the land.  If AoC had 6 months to add compelling quest content after Tortuga, players would still be singing its praises.

I don't have any personal insider information whatsoever, but I have to imagine that what you suggest is not necessarily a slam-dunk nor that easy to do.  If it was an easy cut and dry case to be successful in the MMO genre, then why doesn't everybody do that?

So my outsider conclusion is that things are a lot more complicated and difficult than they seem.  So I don't really criticize or worry about MMO games failing... just seems par for the course.  It's easy for us to ask why don't they just wait another 6 months to a year before releasing, but the truth of the matter is that still does *NOT* guarantee success.  Not even close.  So honestly ask yourself this:  if you are the investor or venture capitalist, would you be willing to *personally* foot the bill of another $20M or so for that long extra development time?  With no guarantee of success?  There is no way you can say for sure that WAR or AoC would be blockbuster hits.

That's hard to risk.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 02, 2010, 09:39:14 PM »

Most A-list (or attempted A-list) MMOs apparently cost millions and millions of dollars to develop. It seems like most publishers at some point feel forced to push the developer off the plank, so to speak, and start pulling in revenue -- even if it's a short term thing with disastrous long-term consequences.

My recollection with AoC is Funcom delayed its release more than once, but eventually hit that "we gotta get revenue, we can't bleed development money forever" situation. Post-mortem articles suggest Tabula Rasa, especially after Garriott's total revamp from its original form, cost millions and millions to develop. Although I'm a fan of the game, I don't know that any amount of waiting and re-developing would've turned it into something with truly mass appeal.

STO and CO both had this air of "Atari will not wait one more week, get the game out already" to them. Cryptic's invested a lot in improving both titles, but it's so hard to bring back alienated fans when they have so many other things to play.

I do think it's a horrible business model. I mean, would you knowingly push a line of cars out the door that was missing parts and hadn't been thoroughly tested (I mean, other than Toyota  icon_razz)? Or say, a new line of passenger jets?

I guess because a half-baked MMO isn't physically going to hurt anyone, maybe they just don't see it that way. They don't see the forest (long-term success a more polished and fully tested MMO might make) for the trees (the desperately needed launch revenue they can get if they're impatient).

I'm hoping a more modest MMO like the Torchlight MMO, that hopefully isn't costing an arm and a leg to develop, will get the dev time and testing time it needs. Maybe that's all we can hope for. That MMOs with more modest game engines and goals will get more patience from their publishers 'cause the need for that revenue spike won't be so desperate.

Or else that the publisher is a mega-giant like Activision-Blizzard and EA, where they have so many other revenue streams that they're not desperate for an MMO project's revenue to start up ASAP.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 02, 2010, 09:52:59 PM »

actually that business model is almost exactly how we buy ships in the Navy.  Now days you have a contract to build a ship with certain specs for everything from HM&E, electronics/combat systems but in the midst of building things change or upgrades come along.  instead of modifying the contract you build the ship to contract and then less than a year after commissioning you bring it back into the shipyard under a new contract to update/fix things.
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 03, 2010, 04:55:37 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 06, 2010, 03:51:08 AM

I know I am late to this party but this is completely wrong.  There were huge, huge, huge nerfs post-head start weekend for almost every powerset.  The difficulty curve was reasonable set from late spring through to launch, and only some last-minute Bill Roper ultra-drastic shenanigans caused them to both nerf powers and XP to the point you almost had to do both the Desert and Canada in order to level out to the City.  It caused a vast player backlash as it resulted in a number of quest deadspots in leveling and reduced the amount of fresh quests for a second character to literally none, as you had to do almost every available quest with each character to move up without terrible grinding.

The nerfs continued as a while as apparently someone looked at the time to max-level and decided they had to elongate it somehow and those were their only tools to do it.    The only problem was that they didn't have the content to support that curve by a long shot, and the end-game stuff they had wasn't close to tested enough as it was locked to outside testers right up to close to the end of beta. The in-game ret-con costs were also atrocious, as they decided (and this was probably a long term decision) to charge RMT for them.  Bully for them (death to RMT/Microtransactions in games) but don't force players down that road by extorting them to that.

I have never had a game go from "must-play" to "worst run game ever" so quickly.  After being in beta for 8 months, I quit logging in after a matter of weeks.   Its just another example of how Cryptic is actually a terrible developer, either due to poor planning, a terrible business model/management, or a combination of the two.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:06:51 AM by Rhinohelix » Logged

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 03, 2010, 04:40:41 PM »

Quote from: Rhinohelix on June 03, 2010, 04:55:37 AM

I have never had a game go from "must-play" to "worst run game ever" so quickly.  After being in beta for 8 months, I quit logging in after a matter of weeks.   Its just another example of how Cryptic is actually a terrible developer, either due to poor planning, a terrible business model/management, or a combination of the two.

That is essentially my view on Cryptic as well.  They obviously have some smart & imaginative designers, however as a developer they are horrible.  They make decisions for the immediate change without anticipating consequences, they made the same bad decisions as Champions in STO after they'd seen the effects of these decisions in champions.   Its frustrating, because they could have both been great games. 

I don't trust them to make good decisions anymore and because of that it really doesn't matter how many changes they make to either game, I'll never go back. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 04, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on June 03, 2010, 04:40:41 PM

Quote from: Rhinohelix on June 03, 2010, 04:55:37 AM

That is essentially my view on Cryptic as well.  They obviously have some smart & imaginative designers, however as a developer they are horrible.  They make decisions for the immediate change without anticipating consequences, they made the same bad decisions as Champions in STO after they'd seen the effects of these decisions in champions.   Its frustrating, because they could have both been great games.  

I don't trust them to make good decisions anymore and because of that it really doesn't matter how many changes they make to either game, I'll never go back.  
Come back, Wargus...

Starfleet needs you!  icon_razz

Here's my take:
-Virtually nobody (I think maybe 2 people beyond Emmert himself, last I read) from the City of Heroes team was willing to come along with Emmert to his "new" Cryptic. Most are still back at Paragon Studios are moved on to other things.

I don't know what background the key devs on Champions had, but for the vast majority it wasn't on COH. You could read that as "oh cool, a blank slate," but Emmert's COH teams presumably learned a lot of painful lessons that the Champions team didn't know.

-Atari had, afik, zero experience as an MMO publisher. They don't know anything about patience, or all the things that go wrong with rushed MMOs and messed up launches. They don't know how hard it is to really win back gamers once you alienate them. They only know corporate spreadsheets and the almighty buck. But hey, there's a big giant corporate entity and that's what they do. If Emmert and Co. didn't want to develop in that kind of environment, they should've (imho) done more due diligence and looked for a more experienced MMO publisher. You'd think Bill Roper, after the Hellgate-Namco-Flagship nightmare would've chimed in, even if he was late to the party.

-I guess Cryptic (and maybe Atari) had this grand scheme of cranking out a new MMO every year that all run off the same godforsaken shared server that goes up and down like a stock market bar graph whenever you have a heavy beta test of one of the games (yeah THAT'S a great idea too  Roll Eyes). I'm not sure why Cryptic didn't see more promise in doing ONE MMO well for a number of years and focusing on that, instead of cornering itself into taking grief on two (for most) disappointing MMOs and apparently an upcoming third.

-I also think it's an exceptionally great idea (sarcasm *on*) to offer lifetime packages for MMOs in open beta that are in dreadful need of fixing rather than, I dunno, waiting until you've proven you can fix and add content and show you're truly deserving of lifetime worship.  disgust While it's true everyone does that, Turbine at least brought back its lifetime offers after major expansions.

-And of course, most importantly, no LFG channel.  mad deadhorse icon_razz
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:54:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 17, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »

Serpent Lantern is the name of the latest content update.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 17, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »

Sounds like the Serpent Lantern is a long group quest. They really need to do what AoC did and get an expansion pack out there with all new PvE content.

I do like the idea behind their Vet rewards that each 100 days you get a 5% experience boost when you play L1-15. Should make getting past those starting missions a lot quicker - but would also like they add new starting areas to keep it fresh.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 17, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »

From what I read from your link, the adventure packs can be played with 1 to 5 players

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 18, 2010, 03:39:57 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on June 17, 2010, 07:58:43 PM

From what I read from your link, the adventure packs can be played with 1 to 5 players

Without an LFG channel, this is all MEANINGLESS!  icon_wink

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 18, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 18, 2010, 03:39:57 PM

I solo - this is all perfect!  For me Champions is my "I want to play something, but I don't really want to play something" game  retard

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 18, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on June 18, 2010, 04:04:57 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on June 18, 2010, 03:39:57 PM

I solo - this is all perfect!  For me Champions is my "I want to play something, but I don't really want to play something" game  retard
That about sums up why it's not quite the blockbuster Cryptic hoped for. Too many players actually wanted "something." Though clearly if it had an LFG channel, it would be 98% on Metacritic, and have 2 million subscribers. smirk

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 28, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »

Huh.

I just picked this up to try it out since steam has it with 30 days play for like 7 bucks.

Hope i didn't waste 7 bucks.  Oh well.  It's gonna be a here and there solo game for me so maybe it's actually a good buy.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 29, 2010, 03:07:46 AM »

For $7 and 30-days access you're not wasting anything. The game is a lot of fun with all the different powers but its lacking content and after awhile the quests are more of the same. But I think for 30 days you should have a lot of fun with it. If you play somewhat frequently I'd say at the 60-day mark the game will feel a bit stale.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 29, 2010, 03:16:42 AM »

Yeah, I agree with Crawley.  I have no idea what the game was like at launch... I heard it was much worse which wouldn't surprise me.

But I only tried it for the first time a couple months ago, and I think the game is really fun.  The combat for sure is great, and I like how there are a limited number of powers, not 30 or 40 different spells.  Character models look great and so are the power effects.

I'm really not sure why this game is slammed, unless it's just people's bad first impressions from launch.  But in its current state, it's definitely fun.  I guess the problem is not a ton of lasting content, but I haven't reached that point yet.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #639 on: June 29, 2010, 04:43:37 AM »

The game is fun, but its main problem (which I'm amazed they haven't fixed yet) is that you have to do every single quest available to level up. If you miss any (which is easy to do if you're not looking up quest givers online), you'll have to grind. The game needs double the amount of quests it currently has.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: