http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:32:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What Champions Online Pricing Plan do you expect to go for?
$199.99 Lifetime ["Party of super heroes to beam down to the planet's surface, Scotty!"]
$59.99 6-mo. plan ["Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a lifetime subscriber!"]
$14.99 monthly ["Analyzing planet surface to determine suitability for super hero life forms."]
Are you crazy! I haven't even tried it yet! ["Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a super hero!"]

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Champions Online (Cryptic's new MMO)  (Read 57438 times)
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2009, 03:27:39 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 01, 2009, 02:39:30 PM

I really wish GoGamer had a preorder bonus.  They got a preorder bonus for Aion.
It's probably not for them not trying to get it. Atari and NCSoft work differently. NCSoft will send out the pre-sell kits to all of their distributors, who can then pass it along to any retailer, big or small. Atari apparently only sends out the pre-sell stuff (tailored to the retailer) to the big guys.

I know this because I work at a small indy store, and I can get any NCsoft stuff we need for any of their games, including the Aion pre-sell cases. I tried to get the pre-sell for Champions Online, but my distributor contact was told they couldn't get any out of Atari.

I ended up going to a local EBgames to do a $5 pre-order to get the pre-order code.

Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »

I have a bunch of store credit with GameStop so I will likely just go that route...perfer GoGamer since we have a referral link from GT for them....that and it is 10 bucks cheaper...

I think after watching more videos, I am at this point trying to decide between supernatural, telekinesis, power armor and force power sets.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 03:45:06 PM by Arkon » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2009, 08:02:48 PM »

With me, fwiw, with COH my passion was really for the Scrapper and Blaster sets. It took me at least a year, maybe two, before I found controller (gravity/force bubble) and defender (empathy/radiation blast) powerset combinations that I enjoyed enough to stick with the character. Champions certainly seems more flexible in how you combine stuff, though I guess I won't have a real feel for Fun Factor until I get to try it.

Right now I feel like someone who's dreaming about driving some car, that I have no way to test drive.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: August 01, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 01, 2009, 03:38:59 PM

I think after watching more videos, I am at this point trying to decide between supernatural, telekinesis, power armor and force power sets.

Choose them all in one character. Or just go make a ton of alts. That's the beauty of this game. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 01, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »

I am sensing a little rumble at the official threads that since there's technically only one giant server, and each player gets 8 slots to start with (as I understand it, there's some in-game way to earn more slots, and presumably you can use micro-transactions to add more), people are concerned they won't have enough character slots to go completely alt-crazy.

It doesn't worry me personally (I create a few alts, but usually I just have a few most-played character slots on one server, and then tried various alts for a few levels on other servers to see how different character types work), but I'll be curious to see how it plays out after release. I guess since it seems like you can swap in and out powers and sets to some extent at will between missions, it's maybe less of an issue than in games where you're kinda stuck with what you choose (or you have to do something like COH's respec trial to earn the right to change).

While I love all the apparent flexibility, I do think it'll take time for us new players to get used to the idea that we just group with anybody and then maybe say "I'll be the tank, so I'll customize  my sets to do that; you be the bomber, you customize to do that etc." Most mmorpgr's seem to have it ingrained to look for specific classes to team with, or only accept certain types of classes as teammates. So I think it's dandy -- I won't have to feel like my blaster, hunter whatever is discriminated against, because I can just swamp in/out a few things to adjust to a group's needs -- I just hope players can adapt to that new flexibility, and not be stuck in old "we don't want you, we only want tanks and healers" mentality.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 01, 2009, 09:58:48 PM

While I love all the apparent flexibility, I do think it'll take time for us new players to get used to the idea that we just group with anybody and then maybe say "I'll be the tank, so I'll customize  my sets to do that; you be the bomber, you customize to do that etc."

But keep in mind that respecing won't be free. Or at least if it is free, unlike just about every MMO on the planet that I can think of, it'll really mess with the longevity of the game as you just turn into the Flavor of the Month every so often.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 02, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

I guess I was reading it as you can customize, but only within the powers that you actually chose and have. It sounded like part of the charm would be that you wouldn't have to sit on the sidelines while some group said they specifically needed a tank, blaster-type, etc. But maybe I'm misreading it. Or maybe it costs so much to "re slot modules" that it'll be prohibitive.

I'm in LOTRO right now and talking about Champions in my small pickup group. They've never heard of it at all. They seem curious now.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »

Here's a summary of the roles you can use to customize your character:

http://www.muppetfleet.com/categories/item/11-roles-replace-classes-in-champions-online

4 roles achieved through setting your stance: Guardian (balance), Avenger (offence), Sentinel (defence) and Protector (support).

It sounds like you can do this on the fly, so group members could switch out roles to experiment a bit. It doesn't add skills, just augments or reduces some as a trade-off. You'd still need someone with a healing skill to perform the Protector role.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2009, 06:38:16 PM »

Thanks, that does help me understand that aspect a bit more; though isn't "Muppetfleet" some sort of copyright violation of the Jim Henson Co.?  smirk I decided to dig through the forums and review the various "Beta Favorites" postings cause I had my head in the dirt for a few months, was not paying attention...

Beta Favorites (July 15 - player's favorite things about PvP arena matches)
http://www.champions-online.com/node/92879
I cherry-picked a few...
I can recall my first match, I was on my skeletal gun slinging burrowing character. I burrowed into the main room and selected this flying power armor dude, I popped out of the ground and did a shoulder roll gunshot.... watching him fall to the ground dead was one of the best things in my life!" – AdmiralFlapPlak

The PvP in Champions is very fast paced and grabs your attention right away. The PvE xp gains that you can get participating in the games are a real nice touch, imo." – Phobyk

The action was fast paced and exciting. I was surprised at how well built some of the other heroes were and working with your teammates to take down opponents was quite a thrill. I was amazed that players against me actually used holds and other crowd control powers to protect their teammates and disrupt my attacks. It made me go back to the beginning and create a new build that could assimilate a well rounded character that could assist my mates as well as wreak havoc on opponents. I'm very excited to play that build next test." – MaskedWeasel
=========================
Beta Favorites (June 22 - players' favorite powers)
http://www.champions-online.com/node/79999
"Force, by far, is my favorite power set. What is more fun than pummeling bad guys with pure kinetic energy and seeing them get knocked around like ping-pong balls? Nothing. And when you get surrounded by pipe-wielding mutants, you can explode in a brilliant (and pretty dang cool looking) eruption of energy, flinging everything around you like little rag dolls. Uh huh, Force is the way to go baby." – Icedanno

"I like mixing it up. I utilized Fire, Ice, and Lightning because in Champions I don't have to settle for one specific element I can choose them all. Then I can throw in a Rocket Launcher if I want to!" – Demoman

"Archery. Circling around your foe loosing arrow after arrow...it's exhilarating. Even the arc of the flight path as the arrows slam into the enemy feels genuine." – jsnforce

"Ok, unarmed martial arts is just...wow. You expect to see each move do a single punch or a single kick, but [moves within the unarmed set have their own] (flowing) combo. It's like 'Jet Li' at the push of a button." – ingiomar
==================
Dev's favorite powers in beta test (June 25)
http://www.champions-online.com/node/81830
Power Armor. I’ve always liked power armored characters even when I played pencil and paper Champions. And the power set in the game not only represents many of the classic concepts of a hero in a high-tech suit of heavily armed futuristic battle-armor, it also has a great play mechanic. With all of its toggles and unique tricks, playing a character with power armor feels a bit like you’re really controlling a complex piece of machinery. And when have the timing down right and fully master all of the interactions, it’s devastating!" – Brian Gilmore, Staff Game Designer

Classic Munitions with Flight. What could be cooler than sniping from the clouds, then taking a nose dive down into the fray with guns blazing?" – Noel "Destra" Holmes, Lead Game Master
[I have been curious if your weapons are debuffed (i.e., less accurate) when firing while in flight, as in CoX-bj]
=============
Nothing earth shattering but as someone not in beta, this gave me some ideas of what things I might like.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »

Thought it might also be kinda fun to look back through the various "Ask Cryptic" sessions, where questions are sent in by e-mail and they seem a little meatier than the questions asked in IRC real-time chats. The easy way to check them out is this compilation thread:

index to "Ask Cryptic Q&As" from March 2008 through July 2009:
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=558745

The Feb. 23, 2009, one seemed like a good one in particular.
Ask Cryptic (Feb. 23, 2009)
http://www.champions-online.com/dev_blog/ask_cryptic_02-23-09
Can you use the same power to heal others as you use to heal yourself? (i.e. are there single target powers that can be used on friends and self alike depending on what's selected, or put another way: can you target yourself or must we have separate skills for self buffs/heals than for ST effects?) (SaintKairos)

Some of them. Some Powers natively will heal you and everyone in front of you. Some Powers natively will heal only you. Some Powers natively will heal only your allies. Some of those Powers can be modified by Advantages to cover multiple categories of people.
---------------------------------------------------
How varied are the number of effects/advantages you can add to a power? For example, could you create some sort of self-buff power that increases your defense/offensive power when near-defeat? (openget)

The advantage system has a small number of generic effects that can be applied to a large number of powers, like increasing your Constitution characteristic or giving you a chance on use to return Endurance. Then there is a substantially larger number of per power customized tweaks that are ridiculously varied. There is no direct sense of something just increasing your defense or offense conditionally. That sort of thing happens in the Ranks. And we don’t want to step on the toes of the Ranks too much.

For most of the custom advantages we wanted to change the way you use the power rather than change the efficacy of the power conditionally. For example, there’s a power that’s an area of effect, that zaps people around you. The custom advantage is you can turn that into a toggle, press it down, and then do other stuff while it zaps people for a certain duration, but it also acquires a recharge time.
------------------
Will summonable minions or creatures/robots/drones/whatever be directly controllable via commands or will they be uncontrolled? (Alluvian_Est-Endrati)

We are going for a mixed model on pet control. For the most part they’re going to be intelligently uncontrolled, where they aren’t sticky to targets, but instead assist you. They will only attack your target. If they have any untargeted or party non-combat abilities then they will use those intelligently in and out of combat. If you have a pet that has a heal power, and that’s one of it’s more important powers, it’s going to choose to use that power over randomly attacking dudes.

That being said, we’re also going to have a certain number of modal pet commands that can make the pet only passive or only aggressive, or only stay in one spot and do its normal thing. We don’t have the concept of telling individual pets to attack specific targets. We wanted to avoid micromanaging pets as a gameplay aspect. We would rather pets be something where you manage their abilities as complimentary to your own, as opposed to managing their every action.

We find that managing pets in games ends up being a fight with the UI, rather than fight with what you’re currently engaging.[that was my feeling about my villain Master Minds in COV-bj]

At the risk of my post turning into War and Peace in length, a few others that caught my eye...

Map design question from June 11, 2009 Q&A:
http://www.champions-online.com/dev_blog/ask_cryptic_06-11-09
Will instanced missions be on designed maps (that is, maps created especially for the mission, as in WoW or LotRO), or on generic maps (as in CoX)? (JonboyDC)

A little of both. The maps for missions that are part of directed story arcs are all created specifically for these missions by a designer.

In response to beta players’ feedback that they wanted to see more instanced content, we added over 80 new patrol mission maps to Millennium City. Patrol missions are missions your hero can get from well-meaning citizens while out cleaning up the city's streets.

The maps for these missions were generated from themed kits like sewer, office, high tech lab, and so on. Each patrol mission got its own unique map--you won't see the same map layout being used over and over for multiple missions. We will be adding more of these maps to other areas of the game as we move closer to launch.
----------------------------
Question about aggro radius from Jan. 22, 2009, Q&A
http://www.champions-online.com/dev_blog/ask_cryptic_01-22-09
Will enemies detect your presence based on aggro radius or line of sight? You can't really make a stealthy type character if every thug suddenly knows that you're behind/above them because you stepped into their magic bubble. Similarly, will stealth tactics be limited to invisibility like in most MMOs, or will hiding behind objects, in the shadows, up on the cross beams, etc. be viable? (The_Dark_Lord)

Aggro detection by enemies is based off of both radius and line of sight. Enemies detect you further away if you’re in their forward arc. It’s an analog detection, not a binary detection. The closer you are, the more they’ll detect you, and different enemies will be tuned different ways.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:01:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 03, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on August 02, 2009, 05:45:54 PM

Here's a summary of the roles you can use to customize your character:

http://www.muppetfleet.com/categories/item/11-roles-replace-classes-in-champions-online

4 roles achieved through setting your stance: Guardian (balance), Avenger (offence), Sentinel (defence) and Protector (support).

It sounds like you can do this on the fly, so group members could switch out roles to experiment a bit. It doesn't add skills, just augments or reduces some as a trade-off. You'd still need someone with a healing skill to perform the Protector role.

That is correct. You can make a setup for each role and change whenever you want. I'd imagine players will specialize in one particular role, but retain the ability to do well enough in any role. You still only have a limited number of powers so you may not have enough to fill out each role 100%.

Also, you can't respec your powers at will. There is the power house that lets you try powers before you choose one. There are also some limited ways to respec some of your powers. The power house is becoming a bit of a social hub in beta.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 03, 2009, 04:57:32 PM »

I guess that all sounds fine. It doesn't sound much different than some of my LOTRO characters having Parrying, Blocking and Attacking type stances (or my Captain having different Heralds for given situations), or my AoC characters having stances that generate more threat or less, or are more defensive or offensive (hey, everything in AoC is offensive!  icon_razz). So in a way I'm not that impressed by it in CO now that I know it's not really breaking the mold, but I guess I won't have a hard time understanding it since I'm familiar with it.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 03, 2009, 04:57:32 PM

I guess that all sounds fine. It doesn't sound much different than some of my LOTRO characters having Parrying, Blocking and Attacking type stances (or my Captain having different Heralds for given situations), or my AoC characters having stances that generate more threat or less, or are more defensive or offensive (hey, everything in AoC is offensive!  icon_razz). So in a way I'm not that impressed by it in CO now that I know it's not really breaking the mold, but I guess I won't have a hard time understanding it since I'm familiar with it.  icon_neutral

There are a few interesting subtleties to it, but its nothing groundbreaking overall. The biggest difference in the roles is the allowed passive powers. Each passive power is flagged as offensive, defensive, or support. You may have to give up a nice defensive passive like Regeneration just to use an offensive passive like Fire Form. Most of the power sets seem to favor one role over the others (but definitely aren't limited to that role in any way).

Another cool detail is that Defensive Role lets you generate extra energy when you block. This makes it a very effective way to build up energy. You can then choose to mitigate damage to build energy or do damage using your default endurance building power to generate energy. Its a nice trade off. This can be especially nice when a melee character is trying to build up energy to fight a ranged attacker. Their default melee endurance building power won't help them because of the range, but blocking for a few seconds can make up for it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 03, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »

Thanks for the insights. I think the last sets of closed beta invites go out this week?

Hey, Direct2Drive pre-order was announced, including an interesting, well, Doctor OctopusTM [my metaphor, not theirs!  icon_razz] type contraption (the "Mechanoppendage Backpack") for gadgeteers:
http://www.direct2drive.com/6/8333/product/Buy-Champions-Online-Download

I had been wondering if Steam might participate and get its own pre-order perk, I haven't heard anything to this point.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:10:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 03, 2009, 06:23:47 PM »

The Wanderers ( the-wanderers-guild.com ) are now "recruiting" for Champions Online, so please head on over if you want to join up with us.  It would be nice to have some of the beta veterans here to offer advice/help/ideas on how we can hit the ground running. 

At present we have no plans to recruit outside of GT and our own playerbase.  We have a relatively small group right now, I'm estimating about 20ish people who have expressed interest (though I wouldn't be surprised to see this bloat to 50+ at release), so hopefully we can maintain a smaller laid-back guild feel. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 03, 2009, 07:48:26 PM »

Heeeeey, at the Pre-Order Activation Key Page [i.e., activating lets you download the open beta client now], cool perks for signing up for 6-month or lifetime subscriptions (I just need to TRY it before I commit anything):
http://champions-online.com/preorder
Lifetime Subscriptions come with:

* Access to the Star Trek Online Closed Beta, beginning later this year!
    * Exclusive Art Deco costume set
    * Exclusive Retro Future costume set, available only to lifetime subscribers
    * Unique Mirror Universe outfit for Star Trek Online, available at the game’s release
    * Exclusive in-game Foxbat action figure [mini-pet, afik-bj], available only to lifetime subscribers
    * Eight additional character slots!

6-Month Discounted Subscriptions come with:

* Saves $29.95 USD (33% off!) over regular monthly subscription!
It took me more than a year of playing before I felt like I could commit to a lifetime LOTRO subscription and then I promptly lost interest in the game for several months. Of course!  icon_redface So I'm a wee bit gunshy on the whole lifetime subscriber thing. 6 months I could do though, and the STO closed beta access is enticing.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:07:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 03, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »

They're gonna have a lifetime sub?! I'll have to see the pricing on that one.

With so many new games coming I think I will have a hard time staying with any game for more than 6 months. A STO beta slot for a 6 month sub makes that one an easy one to choose. I'm in on that.

I really hope they offer a Cryptic Pass that includes both of those games eventually. I could see how hoping back and forth between the two could keep me interested for a long long time.

Come to think of it, I could see CO having a good amount of staying power even after the new wears off. Not in the same way as WoW where you need to spend gobs of time working at it to progress through tiered raids. I'll NEVER do that again. I'd rather quit the genre. Maybe CO will do some cool things with their end game Omega system (Its already pretty cool). Between that and a trickle of new power sets and zones it could be a fun game to revisit every few months a lot like CoX.

Just checked... Lifetime is $200 and six months is $60.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:36:43 PM by Aganazer » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »

Depending on when they would force you to decide on the lifetime sub...I could see myself going for it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: August 03, 2009, 08:17:17 PM »

Frankly, I want the lifetime sub just for the ability to make an evil version of my Star Trek Online character. biggrin

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2009, 09:56:47 PM »

There's a little clarification:
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=625695#post625695
That no, the presumably $200 (or $199.99 or whatever) doesn't include the cost of the game itself.

If they're trying to copy LOTRO's lead here, the idea is to offer a certain lifetime subscription option before launch, at say $200 (mainly as a carrot to get you to pre-order). Then after launch, jack up the option to $300. Then when an expansion releases, pull the price back down to $200 for a limited time (I signed up for LOTRO's lifetime when they brought the price back down to celebrate Mines of Moria's launch).

And it sounds like the 6-month option is to technically pull your monthly fee down to $9.99 instead of $14.99 (assuming they're following now traditional MMO fee skeds). When LOTRO launched, I went with the $9.99 monthly option that they offered for pre-order customers (which didn't require a 6-month commitment or lump sum). After a while, it definitely gets to be an accounting headache trying to balance what plans make sense.

And you have to weigh in the MMOs that have crashed and burned in only a year or so of release. I would like to think CO would at least last the roughly 14-15 months needed for a lifetime fee to feel like it paid off.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »

Does anyone know if the cost of the subscription will cover both the PC and 360 versions?  I understand that the game itself would have to be purchased for each platform.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2009, 12:37:11 AM »

I'm about 99% sure they are separate (that is, a $14.99 monthly fee will probably be for a specific platform). And by most accounts they are way behind on the 360 version (compared to the PC version), and there's no telling when that will release. For better or worse though, the PC version is apparently very XBox 360 controller-friendly. Some previews I read even suggest it plays better with a gamepad than with a keyboard except obviously in terms of text chatting.  icon_razz

There's no built-in voice chat btw (it was sort of ballyhooed in early PR for the game and then seemed to just fade out). People can of course use Teamspeak, Ventrilo etc. Even though LOTRO has fine built-in voice chat, a lot of players still prefer Ventrilo or the like. It just seems odd to have something so gamepad friendly, and then not include built-in voice chat.

The beta players can speak better to all of these things than me, though the NDA (whatever it covers anyway) is still in place until open beta, Cryptic hath said.
===================
Hey, couple new videos today, one at the official site:
Dueling
http://www.champions-online.com/videos

And one at IGN:
Melee Powers
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/844881/cryptic-studios-mmo-project/videos/champonline_trl_melee_8309.html

I also saw something ballyhooed as a new official trailer video. I'm trying to check if it's really new.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:47:47 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »

I bought the lifetime sub for LOTRO and I stopped playing after a while, but I keep going back. This happens with a LOT of games for me.. I lose interest and then get it back... For $200, I'll probably end up getting this now just to have...

Is lifetime only available when you pre-order direct from Cryptic?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2009, 12:56:26 AM »

OK, here's the Champion Trailer (which may or may not be new, but it's dated July 31):
http://pc.gamespy.com/dor/objects/844881/cryptic-studios-mmo-project/videos/championsonline_trl_herotrailer_73109.html

I'm the same way with LOTRO. I do wish in retrospect I'd gone for the $199 lifetime back in 2007 when it launched. I went with the $9.99 monthly instead, but lost that when I canceled, and then I went ahead and went lifetime when Moria launched.
==============
Hey, saw a moderator post (http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=625922#post625922) that this is the link you should use for pre-order key turn-in there:
http://www.champions-online.com/preorder

And don't use the "preview login page" (http://preview.champions-online.com/preview_login). I bet you visited there anyway. Why don't you listen to me???????  icon_lol
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:01:01 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2009, 01:13:24 AM »

I got the Lifetime for LoTRO and had no regrets, so I will probably do the same for this.  I'll most likely preorder through Amazon.  I may miss the early release, but I have amazon gift cards just waiting for use smile

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2009, 02:54:08 AM »

Couldn't hold off...I'm sooo weak. Bought lifetime tonight, now I have to decide where to pre-order the game from.....
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 04, 2009, 03:50:24 AM »

I'll remain the Voice of Reason as a non-beta player whose uncomfortable tossing wads of cash at something unplayed. Although if Cragmyre got me into the next to last day of another comic book hero MMO open beta 5 years later than the first time, the irony would just be too much.  smirk

I guess officially it's $199 lifetime, and the 6-month is about $59.99 (instead of $89.99 about w/ a regular mo. fee).
http://www.massively.com/2009/08/03/champions-online-offering-199-lifetime-sub-access-to-sto-beta/

If you're desperate to get a spare closed beta key, there seems to be an Unofficial Official thread for you to beg in (which I've just resorted to doing icon_razz):

Have a spare key? Looking to off load it?
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=26376

They've closed a bunch of threads that were trying to hold "contests" to give a key away.
======================
Massively has really been a .... I shouldn't say it... champion  smirk of Champions Online. In case ye missed it today...

The Digital Continuum: Five reasons to play Champions Online
http://www.massively.com/2009/08/03/the-digital-continuum-five-reasons-to-play-champions-online/
Most of what's in it, fans following the game already know. This one thing interested me fwiw...
PC controls (although by all accounts it plays nicely with the XBox360 controller)
... I've been incredibly happy with the mouse and keyboard controls. There's been some slight upset over the one key being a toggle auto-attack, particularly for melee characters, but it's easy enough to turn off in the options.

Only the one key on your keyboard can be used as a toggle, because it's your energy builder. For ranged builds, I love this -- but for melee I switch it to the combo-tapping because it feels right to me.

I do think the "Embrace Microtransactions, They're Our Friend!" [my title] section is a bit too quick to dismiss fans' concerns. Or maybe a bit naive that the "Microtransactions are the DEVIL!!!!!!" crowd will put down their pitchforks and torches so easily. I think fans concerned about it want to hear a few more factoids about what they'll have to pay for (mostly they've just talked in generalities about it to this point). They don't want to be patted on the head and told "We know what's good for you. Go away" or "$180 a year isn't enough of your money, we WANT MORE! But it won't be anything you NEED, it'll just be stuff you WANT." They just want more specifics. imho anyway.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:10:57 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2009, 04:01:08 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on August 04, 2009, 02:54:08 AM

Couldn't hold off...I'm sooo weak. Bought lifetime tonight, now I have to decide where to pre-order the game from.....
There are worse things to spend money on.  In today's market this may even be a good investment.  200 dollars in the stock market today could get you 20 dollars in six months.  icon_wink
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »

Looking over the beta forum (I know I shouldn't say anything but it won't give much away), there is a thread about the subscriptions with 144 replies. About 1/3 are extremely positive and are buying lifetime subs. About 1/10 are extremely negative and won't buy anything. The remaining ones were noncommittal or had questions.

I was genuinely surprised that so many were eager to buy lifetime subs. I am surprised, not because the game is bad in any way, but because forums typically draw out the negative ones like flies on shit. Nearly everybody in the noncommittal camp were positive about the possibility of a lifetime sub, but just weren't ready to make that kind of commitment. Overall I took it as a sign of some relatively happy beta testers.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 04, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »

I am hoping to get a beta key for the last week of closed beta.  If not I have the game preordered through Gamestop.  I am about 80% sure I will just end up going the lifetime sub.  What would actually be really cool is if the lifetime sub got extra cryptic bucks say every month or two, would be a great perk.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 04, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on August 04, 2009, 03:30:32 PM

Looking over the beta forum (I know I shouldn't say anything but it won't give much away), there is a thread about the subscriptions with 144 replies. About 1/3 are extremely positive and are buying lifetime subs. About 1/10 are extremely negative and won't buy anything. The remaining ones were noncommittal or had questions.

I was genuinely surprised that so many were eager to buy lifetime subs. I am surprised, not because the game is bad in any way, but because forums typically draw out the negative ones like flies on shit. Nearly everybody in the noncommittal camp were positive about the possibility of a lifetime sub, but just weren't ready to make that kind of commitment. Overall I took it as a sign of some relatively happy beta testers.
I hear ya. Honestly, COH's forums often got/get ugly too, but I think they have a larger army of moderators than Cryptic in its current state does.

I've seen some news posts wonder if Bill Roper's name is going to bring some sort of "Hellgate Flashback," but he's not Cryptic's CEO or CFO. He's just talking about the game, trying to answer questions, etc. and I think that's what he did really well at Blizzard. I think from interviews he learned with Hellgate that he's not cut out to be a big whig CEO, so I don't hold the past against him.  icon_smile I've done jobs I clearly wasn't cut out for, and you learn from it.

I am a Fileplanet subscriber so I hope to get my open beta key, and start predownloading the 2.5GB client file tomorrow. icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »

They answered one of the inevitable, "If I buy 3 pre-orders and 2 lifetime subscriptions, can I apply them to one account? Can I? HUH????"-type questions.

Multiple Accounts
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=627003#post627003
If you have someone that you want to play with, then they will need to create a second account.
http://www.champions-online.com/user/register

Preorder keys and lifetime subscriptions are on a [one-]per-account basis.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:58:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 04, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »

Not sure if this was in any of Blackjack's posts but here is a melee trailer.

http://www.massively.com/2009/08/04/champions-online-melee-powers-trailer-plus-teleporting/
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 04, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »

I'm considering the Lifetime sub, but I won't pull the trigger until I've actually had some time in the open beta. I did well with the lifetime sub to LOTRO - I still play regularly, so it's been "free" for quite a while now.

I'm seeing a lot of posts that since Hellgate London was a bust, and a lifetime sub is being offered for Champions, that it is all some sort of scam perpetrated by Bill Roper. The logic there boggles my mind.

I'm glad to hear a good percentage of closed beta testers are leaning to a lifetime sub. It speaks well for the state of the game.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »

Force Power (think COH's Force Bubble but with more attacks):
http://www.champions-online.com/node/106015
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:21:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 04, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »

Well, I did the Amazon preorder though not sure how I'm supposed to get the Open Beta key.  I just did it today, so I hope to get an email before August 17th.

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 04, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 04, 2009, 07:19:42 PM

Force Power (think COH's Force Bubble but with more attacks):
http://www.champions-online.com/node/106015

They group this one with the elemental sets. That is probably why we are seeing it after the Fire and Electrical set previews. Unlike the real elemental sets this one has a defensive passive (personal force field) rather than an offensive passive (like the elemental forms of the other sets). I think they do this because of how strong the soft control knockbacks are. I don't think there are any offensive passives that can boost this set's crushing damage. It also lacks an alternative way to build energy.

Its an awesome defense, support, or generalist set and was my favorite for a long long time. I'll probably still dip into it for Force Eruption (PBAOE Knockback) which can be a life saver if you're surrounded.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »

I managed to keep this one off my radar (I signed up for the beta and never got in).  But now with open beta looming and the general positive buzz around it is definitely sparking my interest.  I am event tempted to pre-order sight unseen.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 04, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on August 04, 2009, 07:26:49 PM

Well, I did the Amazon preorder though not sure how I'm supposed to get the Open Beta key.  I just did it today, so I hope to get an email before August 17th.
I think I did an Amazon pre-order for both the 2007 release and Mines of Moria. I'll check my documents when I get home, and see how it worked then.

There's a thread about Amazon pre-orders here, but it doesn't really have any hard answers other than that they'll likely e-mail you a code for open beta sometime before Aug. 17 [that's no help in terms of pre-downloading the client from Fileplanet though confused]. Some in-store retailers apparently give you the code when you buy, or else it's maybe included in a, say, $10 pre-order box.

Here's that thread:
Champions Online pre order from Amazon.com
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=26109&highlight=Amazon
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:40:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »

Pricing outlined (monthly is the traditional $14.99, because MMORPG publishers don't know about the recession icon_wink):

Champions Online Pricing
http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=630066#post630066
Retail Pricing:

$49.99 USD, $54.99 CAN, €49.99 EUR, and £29.99 GBP

Regular Monthly Subscription:

$14.99 USD, $16.49 CAN, €12.99 EUR, and £8.99 GBP

We are also offering two exclusive subscription packages, available only until September 1st.
6-Month Discounted Subscriptions:

* Price: $59.99 USD, $65.99 CAN, €51.99 EUR, and £35.99 GBP
* Saves $29.95 USD (33% off!) over regular monthly subscription!

Lifetime Subscriptions:

* Price: $199.99 USD, $219.99 CAN, €173.99 EUR, and £119.99 GBP
* Exclusive Retro Future costume set, available only to lifetime subscribers
* Unique Mirror Universe outfit for Star Trek Online, available at the game’s release
* Exclusive in-game Foxbat action figure, available only to lifetime subscribers
* Eight additional character slots!

The Specials Section at official site to sign up for the 6-month or Lifetime:
http://www.champions-online.com/exclusive_specials

I'm not suprised that thread has turned into Sturm Un Drang, and how DARE YOU offer lifetime pricing before open beta even started!, and Cryptic is Evil!  icon_razz They should be ranting at Turbine, which by most accounts introduced the notion of "lifetime subscriptions" with LOTRO in 2007, and yes, it was well before LOTRO even launched (http://mindbendingpuzzles.blogspot.com/2007/04/lotro-which-subscription-package.html).

Still, I think the Hate is mostly directed at the idea the lifetime option will be taken away after launch/open beta, so by the time one really knows if one wants to play it for 13 months [beyond the free first 30 days], the $199 option is gone. So yes, one could view it as a cynical attempt to compel people into committing $200 for something they may get to play very little before the Sept. 1 launch.

If they follow Turbine's lead, chances are they'll dig up the lifetime subscription offer again down the road, keyed in either with a big update, or with an expansion. And by that time, most people will think it's a grand idea because they've had time to decide if CO is a long term commitment, or a brief unfulfilling fling.  icon_razz

Me, I think $199 is a safe bet if you're convinced you'll like it. The quickest disaster MMOs I played are NCSoft's Auto Assault, which lasted from April 2006 to August 2007 (about 16 months); and Tabula Rasa, which went from November 2007 to the end of February 2008 (about 15 months) so chances are, even if Champions is a complete flop, you'll at least feel like you got your lifetime's worth (assuming you actually play most of that time).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:49:52 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: