http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:18:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What Champions Online Pricing Plan do you expect to go for?
$199.99 Lifetime ["Party of super heroes to beam down to the planet's surface, Scotty!"]
$59.99 6-mo. plan ["Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a lifetime subscriber!"]
$14.99 monthly ["Analyzing planet surface to determine suitability for super hero life forms."]
Are you crazy! I haven't even tried it yet! ["Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a super hero!"]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Champions Online (Cryptic's new MMO)  (Read 57475 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »

Speed of attacks is an interesting topic.  I thought I had read somewhere that certain attacks are based on how long you hold the button/key down.  The longer you hold it, the more damage the attack does but the slower it is.  The shorter you hold it, the quicker you can get it out, but it does less damage.  Of course, that's assuming I read/heard that correctly, which is a coinflip at best.   icon_neutral

But if certain powers are based on that mechanic, I think that's a cool concept for an MMO game.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »

I don't know why I mistakenly thought I'd ever applied for the Champions beta, but I hadn't.  icon_redface So I finally did apply yesterday, and am going as "BlackjackGT" at forums there though I haven't posted as of yet.

I am curious if Emmert learned enough from some of CoX's "exploitation holes" to find ways to avoid them in Champions. That would be things like Herding; exploitation of "mentoring" systems to level quickly at no risk; repeating but not completing a mission over and over to get the "juicy experience" boss in a mission; or the vast majority of the populace basically losing interest in content and being 100% fixated on leveling. The latter might be completely unavoidable in MMOs, but I'd like to see a game where the content was so fun, involving and varied that it would take your mind off character level # fixation.

I'm convinced if you created an MMO called "Telephone Booth Pez Dispenser," where every mission was the size of a phone booth, and the player just kept clicking a mouse button to kill the mob that appeared next to him in the phone booth, and you just leveled over and over all day long, people would actually pay $15 a month to do that. Maybe not longer than a month or two, but I bet you would find takers.  icon_razz

Hopefully the CoX experience has also taught him that making massive chances post release without a pretty long discussion and justification process (Enhancement Diversity comes to mind) risks ticking off massive numbers of players and driving many away. Surely by now he knows the easy part of an MMO is hyping it and releasing it. The hard part comes after.  paranoid icon_smile
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:50:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2009, 02:11:13 PM »

Maybe the solution is no levelling and no experience gain. That'll fit better to the superhero genre. Most superheroes in comics don't gain new ability from catching or defeating bad guys. They may learn from their previous experiences, but they don't get stronger or faster from that.

Make the first part of gameplay to be the "Origin" story. At that part, superheroes can learn that they have certain abilities, but then they'll hit the level/skill cap and become true superheroes that don't gain extra ability or level up. Instead of levelling up, the players will compete with each other in a kind of superheroes scoring system, maybe call that Reputation ranking.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on May 24, 2009, 02:11:13 PM

Maybe the solution is no levelling and no experience gain. That'll fit better to the superhero genre. Most superheroes in comics don't gain new ability from catching or defeating bad guys. They may learn from their previous experiences, but they don't get stronger or faster from that.

Make the first part of gameplay to be the "Origin" story. At that part, superheroes can learn that they have certain abilities, but then they'll hit the level/skill cap and become true superheroes that don't gain extra ability or level up. Instead of levelling up, the players will compete with each other in a kind of superheroes scoring system, maybe call that Reputation ranking.

Honestly, though this idea is neat, people enjoy getting new toys every level. Whether it's a new power, power enhancement, items, gear, whathaveyou, most players need these small carrots. Even in some popular FPS's where you don't get higher stats or powers, you get new shiny weapons every so often. It would have to be one hell of an amazing story driven game to make people forget they're not getting new toys or powers to choose from.

Quote from: Blackjack on May 24, 2009, 01:45:33 PM

Hopefully the CoX experience has also taught him that making massive chances post release without a pretty long discussion and justification process (Enhancement Diversity comes to mind) risks ticking off massive numbers of players and driving many away. Surely by now he knows the easy part of an MMO is hyping it and releasing it.

Well, they *did* higher Bill "The Hellgate London Fiasco" Roper. That should have been a red flag. Sure he was involved in some nice Blizzard games, but not in any game changing leadership role AFAIK. I assume Cryptic hired him for his ability to advertise new shiny products. Unfortunately, there have been many game developers that share his power of articulation and charisma, and similarly fail in the endgame. Sooner or later, players figure out that these people rarely produce what they tout. All it does is let people down. Fool me once and all that jazz.

God, I've become so jaded. tear

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:57:21 PM by lokiju » Logged

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2009, 05:29:49 PM »

Yeah i can't believe ONE person could screw the game up.

As for the levelling reward, for most people you need it. Even if it's every one or two levels it needs to be gear or skills. Heck in AoC i hated the way you went for a few levels with no rewards or spells.

I don't mind the mechanic behind levelling or gear but it would be nice to have different settings rather than fantasy.

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on May 24, 2009, 05:29:49 PM

Yeah i can't believe ONE person could screw the game up.

Heh, well, a design director can certainly cause some damage. nod

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2009, 11:15:42 PM »

Isn't it true that for WoW people still playing once the get the max level (60, 70, 80)? Now people do get stuff from raiding and arena, but there is no levelling at all and no new skill after max level.

For superhero genre then maybe getting new gears are not suitable reward, but maybe other than the reputation thing they can also get support stuff and collections for their secret bases. Make the superheroes have bases that they can design and decorate. They get stuff from doing missions or defeating bad guys.

Most stuffs will be for decorative/collection purpose but some stuffs grant some minor bonuses like vehicles which let them to travel faster, communication/radar/surveilance system so they can monitor larger part of the cities to get missions, NPC sidekick. Make it so that players can upgrade the vehicles or get a better one, make it so that the radar is upgradeable, sidekick can die. Then players will continue to have the motivation to keep playing to get better stuff and replace sidekicks.

The collection aspect is also going to be good motivation for players. Just look at how people keep playing XBOX 360 games to get achievements. Most of those are useless other than just to collect. People also play Animal Crossing which is also mostly about collecting useless stuffs.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »

Are there any more details on the Nemesis thing floating out there?  I was trying to explain it to my brother, but realized when he was asking me questions that I know very little about it.  Here are some of the things I think are valid questions:

1.  Do you create your nemesis as soon as you create your character?  If yes, are you responsible for creating a nemesis every time you create an Alt hero character?

2.  Do you create your nemesis as a level 1 bad guy, or when he's maxed out?  Does your nemesis level up on his own based on a template you gave him, or is it completely random?

3.  Does your nemesis show up in the game in Instances only, so only you (and potential group members) will run into him, or will the whole community be able to run into/battle other people's nemesis'?

Have they gone into details like this anywhere yet?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »

I might be able to answer these questions about your Nemesis, but then I'd have to kill you (stupid NDA).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 25, 2009, 01:48:00 PM

I might be able to answer these questions about your Nemesis, but then I'd have to kill you (stupid NDA).

It's okay, you can tell us. We don't mind if you kill Lockdown. slywink
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »

icon_smile

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »

so you may or may not have gotten into the beta?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2009, 05:30:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2009, 05:16:27 PM

so you may or may not have gotten into the beta?

Possibly. Or else I may or may not have known somebody who might have or have not gotten access to the beta. The questions mount.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »

I am half-tempted to send Fizzle to your home and pester it out of you, Destructor.  Don't make me ask for a piggy-back ride!

In truth, I sort of think it's cool the way you guys honor NDA's.  It's probably the reason I never get into NDA-locked beta's.  If I liked the game, I wouldn't shut up about it.  The gaming gods must know this, so I never get accepted to them.    icon_frown

LD

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 25, 2009, 01:03:42 PM

1.  Do you create your nemesis as soon as you create your character?  If yes, are you responsible for creating a nemesis every time you create an Alt hero character?

2.  Do you create your nemesis as a level 1 bad guy, or when he's maxed out?  Does your nemesis level up on his own based on a template you gave him, or is it completely random?

3.  Does your nemesis show up in the game in Instances only, so only you (and potential group members) will run into him, or will the whole community be able to run into/battle other people's nemesis'?

Even if we answered these right now, with 3-4 months left until release, it's likely to change anyways. Tongue

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2009, 11:38:41 PM »

My nemesis is going to be a scantily clad uber babe and her lesbian minions, one of whom will be the 50 foot tall mostly naked woman.  Woah, did I just post that and give away how twisted I am?  Be thankful I controlled myself and left out the part about the bionic sheep....

Oops, I let it slip out after all. eek
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »

MMORPG.com has a piece up from a writer participating in the beta, including a tutorial walkthrough:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/335/feature/3096/Early-Game-HandsOn-Preview.html
Due to its reliance on character positioning, fast reactions and selective targeting as an essential part of combat, the game plays much more like an action console game than the average “click and get a sandwich MMO.”

Granted, there are times where combat is more straight forward (i.e.: “ get x and give to y”), but for the most part gameplay, especially when solo, requires a little more thought. Heroes need to consider how they’ll get to their enemy (route) and which ones to attack first. Ignore this advice, and the game becomes a lot harder to play. At first, I felt like it would need a friend just to finish the tutorial, but once I took the console gamer’s approach, it was as if I had pressed the easy button.

Less fun is the need to manually maintain attack range. Once a target is selected, players have to walk up on their own. It sounds like a small thing on paper, and makes sense given the importance of planning a route in Champions, but it can be extremely frustrating.

For example, if a melee character is paired with a ranged hero, this can be problematic. If the ranged caster steals aggro just as the melee hero is about to unleash a power attack of their own, it burns it. The mob runs towards the ranged character and forces the melee character to reset and give chase.

One of the most outstanding features is the ability for the player to interact with the world around them. See a trash can? Pick it up and huck it. Kick rocks and pieces of rubbish that are strewn about the area. In fact, I kicked a rock over to a ledge and punted it, watching as it bounced off the wreckage of a helicopter. Some elements, like kicking rocks, may seem more fluff than actual utility, but the ability to grab objects and actually use them as weapons is just…plain…fun.
This was something I loved in Irrational's Freedom Force games. The closest thing in COH is probably the gravity controller's Propel skill.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:36:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 28, 2009, 12:34:28 PM

...This was something I loved in Irrational's Freedom Force games...

Same here.  I actually started playing FFvs3rd Reich again, and am blown away at how good it is still.

LD

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2009, 02:01:33 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 28, 2009, 01:31:24 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on May 28, 2009, 12:34:28 PM

...This was something I loved in Irrational's Freedom Force games...

Same here.  I actually started playing FFvs3rd Reich again, and am blown away at how good it is still.

Yeah, now I wish they would bring out a modern age of comics version. I never really liked Golden and Silver Age comics.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2009, 02:29:16 AM »

At least if Champions disappoints, there's always...  smirk

Marvel Super Hero Squad unveiled; Doctor Doom never looked so adorable
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/28/marvel-super-hero-squad-unveiled-dr-doom-never-looked-so-adorab/

Alas, I don't see Irrational doing anything but Bioshock sequels for the forseeable future. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but dreams of System Shock 2 and Freedom Force followups will probably remain just that.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:31:27 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2009, 03:57:13 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 29, 2009, 02:29:16 AM

Alas, I don't see Irrational doing anything but Bioshock sequels for the forseeable future. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but dreams of System Shock 2 and Freedom Force followups will probably remain just that.

2K Marin is in charge of Bioshock 2, 2K Australia (which was Irrational) is apparently only helping with the MP aspect while working on an unannounced not anything to do with X-Com project.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »

The unannounced are probably Bioshock 3 and 4, and Bioshock: Modern Warfare, and Bioshock: Armageddon, followed by Bioshock: The Return, and Bioshock: The Revenge of the Avenged.  Fabulous

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 29, 2009, 02:45:44 PM

The unannounced are probably Bioshock 3 and 4, and Bioshock: Modern Warfare, and Bioshock: Armageddon, followed by Bioshock: The Return, and Bioshock: The Revenge of the Avenged.  Fabulous

you forgot Bioshock the flamethrower!  Kids are going to love it!

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2009, 05:48:21 AM »

Interesting:

Inside its fiscal year earnings report, Atari has revealed that the Cryptic developed MMO, Champions Online, will be released for Xbox 360 between October and December 2009. This will follow the currently planned September release for the PC version.

Atari also had positive words to share regarding Cryptic's other in development MMO, Star Trek Online, noting that the title is "expected to benefit from the success of the newest Star Trek film". The game's expected before April 2010.

(entire article quoted because I can)

I can't imagine how well this game could be played on an Xbox 360 controller. And don't even get me started on the whole typing thing, not to mention the monthly fee on top of Xbox Live.

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 30, 2009, 05:48:21 AM

I can't imagine how well this game could be played on an Xbox 360 controller. And don't even get me started on the whole typing thing, not to mention the monthly fee on top of Xbox Live.

Urge to break the NDA rising...

All I can say is that it doesn't take a genius to see that a PC MMORPG which is developed to work well (or even better?) on a 360 controller might anger many traditional keyboard fans. And this with the game being out on PC 1-3 months before the 360.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:11:17 AM by lokiju » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »

Quote from: lokiju on June 01, 2009, 08:54:42 PM

Quote from: Destructor on May 30, 2009, 05:48:21 AM

Urge to break the NDA rising...

All I can say is that it doesn't take a genius to see that a PC MMORPG which is developed to work well (or even better?) on a 360 controller might anger many traditional keyboard fans. And this with the game being out on PC 1-3 months before the 360.

Might have to find my gaming receiver and use a 360 controller...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2009, 11:44:27 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 03, 2009, 09:43:41 PM

Might have to find my gaming receiver and use a 360 controller...

It's been so long since CoH...it was you and Spincycle (Frog) that my wife and I played with in the Wanderers about 3-4 years ago, right? You had the broadsword scrapper? My wife's main was Cathena (defender). My toons were Kaiti, Powerstrip, and a host of Power-named toons. Just want to make sure I have the user name correct. Getting old, memory failing.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »

Ayup. That was Remington Steel. My other major characters on Virtue were Inspectre, Totally Rad (formerly Leukemia), Satyrday Night Special (CoV), Eminence Front, and Recessive Jean (CoV). I wound up with leadership of the Wanderers after the Great Wanderer Bailout and we continued on for a while but things died out gradually.  Still playing now (on Freedom at the moment with an earth/sonic controller named Rock Band), as is Oscuros. Unfortunately, we have have not seen Spincycle the last few months. He headed off to play Warhammer and hasn't been heard from in ages. I was sure he'd make an appearance when Issue 14 came out but he never did. It's a shame; Osc and I miss him a lot.

IIRC, after our first foray into WoW, I PM'd you to see if you and the wife would be interested in coming back. We've left CoH for a couple of forays into WoW and one into LotR but we have eventually come back every time. While there's still a lot that could be improved, the changes to places like Faultline and new zones like Striga and Croatoa are a lot of fun. They've also announced a major expansion called Going Rogue that will allow heroes to become villains and vice-versa. The idea of playing a heroic mastermind or villainous controller sounds pretty neat.

My global is @inspectre if anybody wants to get ahold of me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:45:18 PM by Misguided » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »

TenTonHammer posted some travel gizmo details (as I understand it, actual vehicles aren't planned at launch, but gizmos akin to the Silver Surfer's surfboard or the Green Goblin's jet glider, etc. seem like they're going in as crafted items) that sound fun.

Champions Online: E3 Preview with Bill Roper
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/69385
The one crafted device we got a close look at was a steel disk that flies the hero around the city. Players can also attack and fight from the top of the disk giving some strong ranged combat options.

In opposition to the metal flying menace some players will have access to a flying carpet when using the Mystic crafting ability. Players will sit comfortably in a meditation position as they whisk off to fight the bad guys attacking the city.

Another idea on travel was a giant ball that players can roll around in moving at high speeds to solve their missions faster. Bill explained that there will be a lot of travel options in the game and looks forward to showing more of them off to players before launch.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2009, 07:35:53 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 04, 2009, 12:41:41 PM

Ayup. That was Remington Steel. My other major characters on Virtue were Inspectre, Totally Rad (formerly Leukemia), Satyrday Night Special (CoV), Eminence Front, and Recessive Jean (CoV). I wound up with leadership of the Wanderers after the Great Wanderer Bailout and we continued on for a while but things died out gradually.  Still playing now (on Freedom at the moment with an earth/sonic controller named Rock Band), as is Oscuros. Unfortunately, we have have not seen Spincycle the last few months. He headed off to play Warhammer and hasn't been heard from in ages. I was sure he'd make an appearance when Issue 14 came out but he never did. It's a shame; Osc and I miss him a lot.

IIRC, after our first foray into WoW, I PM'd you to see if you and the wife would be interested in coming back. We've left CoH for a couple of forays into WoW and one into LotR but we have eventually come back every time.

Ah yes, Remmy. Of course! How could I forget?

Too bad about not hooking up in WoW. The wife and I played it for a solid 2 year period, spending more time in-game than out I'm afraid to admit. Once we realized we didn't even have time to order delivery (can't leave in the middle of 6 hour raiding periods) without issues in-game, we knew it was time to bail. We did a short return stint in CoH last year and Spincycle was around, but then he disappeared and so we left for good. Aside from testing CO, we're kind of in MMO limbo atm. I'm pretty sure Misty doesn't want to invest time in MMOs anymore, so it may also severely limit my time as well.

The issue we had with CoX was that, at the time (may still be true?), there was little to do at max level, whereas in WoW the game opened up at max level.

Anyhoo, sorry to hijack the thread and glad to hear you and Osc are still doing well. We really enjoyed the time we spent with you guys.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:40:40 PM by lokiju » Logged

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »

I saw Frog on a few months ago when I resubbed for about a month. Fun times.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2009, 09:04:14 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on June 19, 2009, 10:19:19 PM

I saw Frog on a few months ago when I resubbed for about a month. Fun times.

Yeah he really was something special. Anyways, I have pretty much dropped out of CO beta. First time in over 10 betas. confused

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2009, 11:45:22 PM »

Didn't care for it?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2009, 12:09:47 AM »

Quote from: lokiju on June 22, 2009, 09:04:14 PM

Anyways, I have pretty much dropped out of CO beta. First time in over 10 betas. confused

Well that sucks.  I am so looking forward to this game, and now lokiju isn't even playing it for free

I feel disappointment in my future, and I am sad.

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 22, 2009, 11:45:22 PM

Didn't care for it?

I have too. There was something with it I didn't like, but I just can't put my finger on it. Didn't grab me like I expected a MMO to do.

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 23, 2009, 12:09:47 AM

Well that sucks.  I am so looking forward to this game, and now lokiju isn't even playing it for free.  

I feel disappointment in my future, and I am sad.

Quote from: Destructor on June 23, 2009, 05:16:37 PM

Quote from: Misguided on June 22, 2009, 11:45:22 PM

Didn't care for it?

I have too. There was something with it I didn't like, but I just can't put my finger on it. Didn't grab me like I expected a MMO to do.

To be fair, let me point out that I'm not really into console gaming anymore. With that said, as stated in other places/reviews, this game was blatantly developed for the 360 even though it will be on PC first. No matter what they (the devs) state elsewhere, it's obvious within 10 minutes of playing the game.

I don't want to play an MMO on my PC that works with console-based mechanics (the game works better with a gamepad than a keyboard, first clue to it's nature). The game feels...shallow. It's too fast for a PC MMO, and casual players are going to be overwhelmed. As Destructor said, something is just "off" about the game right now.

Who knows, maybe it will be better at launch, but I would recommend trying open beta or a demo before buying.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:54:20 PM by lokiju » Logged

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2009, 08:55:58 PM »

I am considering dropping out of the beta as well...  icon_cry

But not for the reason these guys are! I don't want to spoil the game before release.

When I first got into beta a couple months ago I was pretty much disappointed. I gave the game a month before I logged back in. To my surprise they had addressed most of my issues with the game. I also learned more about the game mechanics which helped a lot. I have been having an awesome time making new characters and trying out different power sets.

There are still plenty of issues with the game, but its mostly the typical stuff you see at this point in any beta. If they don't get these issues worked out then I will be disappointed, but I have no reason to believe they won't since they already announced that they are working on these particular areas. I wish I could expand on what I am talking about but I don't want to break my NDA.

I can't say why the other folks aren't liking it, but I think a lot of people are expecting CoH II and its not. It looks different. It plays different. It has a completely different set of strengths and weaknesses. The similarities stop right after character creation.

Champions manages to address nearly all of my issues with the current gen MMOG's like WoW or Aion (yes, Aion is current gen even though it comes out after Champions). It has a deep and rich character development. It nearly eliminates the time wasters like long travel times. It has lots of quests and quest mechanics that are not Kill-It, Deliver-It, or Collect-It (although it still has plenty of those to). The combat is different enough to not feel like the same thing I have been doing for the last 10 years. Again, I wish I could be much more specific on these details. I could go on all day about the cool things they included in the game.

There is still plenty that I don't like about Champions. It probably borrows a bit too much from the current gen MMOG's. It also has too much hand holding for my tastes. As with any classless game, everyone ends up doing a lot of the same things.

The game has a long way to go. It may not even be quite there by release, but the potential is definitely there. Cryptic has already proven during beta that they are getting better at making content for this type of gameplay. Assuming they can keep up on the improvements up to and after release and also keep adding enough content to keep players interested, then it will be a great game.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2009, 01:21:19 AM »

I'd be curious to Aganazer's response to the 'consolitis' issue?  I can deal with consolitis in a great single player game as you only have to deal with it until you finish the game; I'm not willing to put up with in in an MMO.   
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2009, 02:54:36 AM »

Here's an official stance on the console issue from mmorpg.com:

“Think console…not mmo….”

All would-be super-heroes should remember this advice as they approach Champions Online. Yes, Champions Online is an MMO, but the game is much easier to play and enjoy when approached with a console mentality. Due to its reliance on character positioning, fast reactions and selective targeting as an essential part of combat, the game plays much more like an action console game than the average “click and get a sandwich MMO.”

Granted, there are times where combat is more straight forward (i.e.: “ get x and give to y”), but for the most part gameplay, especially when solo, requires a little more thought. Heroes need to consider how they’ll get to their enemy (route) and which ones to attack first. Ignore this advance, and the game becomes a lot harder to play. At first, I felt like it would need a friend just to finish the tutorial, but once I took the console gamer’s approach, it was as if I had pressed the easy button.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?bhcp=1&feature=3096&game=335

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2009, 04:34:34 AM »

What the heck does that mean though?  I'm not saying I want a "click and get a sandwich" game, but is this a console twitchfest? Is it AOC style of active combat?  More thought and faster combat is fine, what I don't want is to sit in front of a computer and think - 'this game COULD be great, if it was designed to take into account features a computer has'.  

Consolitis to me means a) it looks like a console game (poor resolution ports are a great example), b) it plays like one (this one is getting more & more blurry with time though), and c) it doesn't take advantage of the computer vs. console (i.e. plays better on a gamepad than keyboard & mouse) - this one is a gamekiller.    

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:50:13 AM by Wargus » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: