http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 09:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you want to play on a regular or role playing server  (Voting closed: November 19, 2004, 06:10:15 AM)
Regular - 18 (60%)
Role Playing - 12 (40%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CG WoW Update-and FINAL POLL  (Read 3336 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2004, 06:10:15 AM »

Ok---it was close, but Monstrous Regiment won by one vote. If anyone has a serious issue with this-I mean, for some reason you find the name so contrary that you will not play with the Guild-please make a good argument for why we shoudl have another vote-or that seems to be our new guild name! smile

So, now, on to two other issues:
first-leadership. some have suggested that I just take the lead since this seems to be my baby, but some have said perhaps having a ruling council is a better plan. I am cool with either one-if you want to have two "consuls" or some such-that is fine, but we need to decide who, what, when, where and get running.

Last issue-we have decided on Alliance PvE. We need to now decide on regular or roleplaying-we unfortunately cannot choose a server yet, because Blizzard, in their neverending quest to turn people off of this wonderful game, have yet to release the names of the servers. So, lets just do a simple poll as to whether we want a regular or RP server.

At some point a name list of what we intend our primary toons to be would be useful, obviously subject to change and availability. THe biggest obstacle we need is for everyone to meet up somewhere to give me some silver for the guild charter-but we dont have to worry about that until the game goes live smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 06:47:22 AM »

This may sound silly, but what exactly are the differences between an RP server and a non-RP one?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 06:52:09 AM »

Well, I imagine that the only differences (now, keep in mind I am not sure if blizzard has any plans to actually enforce the "role playing" aspect) is that players that congregate on RP servers will be trying to play in the role of their characters at all times, rather than as themselves with a computer game cartoon.

That may not be a good answer-someone else probably can explain this better.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 06:59:24 AM »

I think it's what you said. There are no coded differences between the two (like there is between PvP and Normal), but it's supposed to be for those who want to RP. Like no pointless banter on general chat and such. The real main question is how tough they're going to enforce it.

I don't really care unless the RP servers are somehow hindered by RP restrictions, and then I'd rather play on Normal.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 06:00:10 PM »

Is it true that there is no pvp (except for duels) on rp servers? I am not really big on ganking and the like, but i do like Daoc's type of pvp where there is pvp in contested zones (so that level 60s can't go to the newbie starting area and gank everyone). On the other hand, my experience with the beta is that the people on rping servers are more mature and generally nicer (no guys named r0xx0rb0xx0r is a plus too)...
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 07:17:08 PM »

As far as I can tell, they're exactly the same except that you're not supposed to talk about real life or certain aspects of the game (like saying my weapon does 5-7 damage) except in party, guild, or private chat.  You pretend you ARE your character.  As said before, the RP people are nicer and more mature.

Who reads these anyway?
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 07:32:31 PM »

Quote from: "Scuba-V"
As far as I can tell, they're exactly the same except that you're not supposed to talk about real life or certain aspects of the game (like saying my weapon does 5-7 damage) except in party, guild, or private chat.  You pretend you ARE your character.  As said before, the RP people are nicer and more mature.

I'll agree with the first part of this statement.  Historically all MMORPG servers designated for RP use have had many, many players who create a wonderful history for their characters.  They design attitudes, and personalities...and then try to keep within those boundries as the game will allow.

However, the maturity and "niceness" level on an RP server is quite a different subject.  Most RP servers I ever played on, Many in EQ...you have what I like to call the Faire Nazi's.  These folks will yell you into next week for not using Thee and Thous in every sentence.  God help you if you need to have a simple conversation with someone and don't put OOC after every line.  They will make it a personal mission to show the world that you are not and never will be an RPer...and should be removed from the server post haste.  Now imagine, at least, one of those people jumping around every zone/area and you have the average argument on the RP servers.  

Sadly, there is no perfect RP server.   You can't make that many people agree on what is Roleplaying and probably never will.   However, you can have wonderful RP sessions with guild members and even during events.  

So to make a long post short.  I recommend staying as far away from RP servers as possible.

Andon
Looking forward to hunting with you folks

Dwarven Hunter, Dwarven Priest.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 08:28:50 PM »

Man, I just can't pick a class!!! Argh. I wish I had a better idea of what the guild needed...

I have a high level mage, a mid level warrior, and some teens-rogue, hunter, pally, warlock, etc.

Right now I*want* to play mage the most, but I am disgusted with the recent changes, and for a primarily PvE player (thats me!), the class can be tremendously, mind numblingly boring (fireballx2 or 3, fireblast, nova, repeat).

Following closesly behind the mage is the warrior. My gnome warrior is so much fun to play both from a RP standpoint and just well, because he is a gnome with a big sword!!

Third is probably a paladin-I really like the mix of spells and stuf, but the melee is just not as fun as the warrior.

hmmm.choices!
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 09:34:04 PM »

Play what you want and don't worry about the rest of it.

Ascendent
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 10:31:57 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Man, I just can't pick a class!!! Argh. I wish I had a better idea of what the guild needed...

I have a high level mage, a mid level warrior, and some teens-rogue, hunter, pally, warlock, etc.

Right now I*want* to play mage the most, but I am disgusted with the recent changes, and for a primarily PvE player (thats me!), the class can be tremendously, mind numblingly boring (fireballx2 or 3, fireblast, nova, repeat).

Following closesly behind the mage is the warrior. My gnome warrior is so much fun to play both from a RP standpoint and just well, because he is a gnome with a big sword!!

Third is probably a paladin-I really like the mix of spells and stuf, but the melee is just not as fun as the warrior.

hmmm.choices!

I'm almost definitely going to be a gnome mage if that helps your decision any. Not saying having two is a bad thing, but don't feel obligated to be a mage.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 11:09:37 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
This may sound silly, but what exactly are the differences between an RP server and a non-RP one?

gay vs. non-gay, as my experience has been.  Go with the non-RP, and thank me for the advice later.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 01:22:47 PM »

gay vs. non-gay, as my experience has been.

Haha what the hell?! I don't think I've ever approached by anyone gay in all my time spent on RP servers. But I don't work out and my fashion sense sucks. Now if you meant gay as in dumb. *shrugs* To each their own right, but I've always prefered RP servers to other servers. More often then not you find more mature players there.

Ascendent
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 10:29:28 PM »

I'd say that RP is definitely the way to go. The community tends to be more mature, you will encounter far fewer characters named 'Drizzt' or 'Gandalf',  and much fewer instances of people babbling in any form of l33t. Yes, there are some that get all militant about how they think you should be RPing and for those people the /ignore command exists. Yes there are some that make a game attempt at RPing and are absolutely awful at it but they're prety easy to ignore as well.

I'd much rather someone come up to me and say "Wouldst thee giveth me direction to ye olde armory?" than "dood u knw wtf the armuree iz?"

My 2 cents at least.

As far as PvP on PvE servers I think there is dueling, a PvP tag that can be turned on as well as battleground full PvP areas. Could be wrong on that.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 01:35:02 AM »

As long as we are ok with the results of a fair poll, I am happy either way.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 02:19:30 AM »

As long as I'm not expected to talk in retardo speak (L33t or Elizabethan) I'm happy either way.   smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 02:30:45 AM »

Also, not a single person has posted here or contacted me privately about the name, so I think we are set on that smile We do still need to decide if we are going to have a dual guildmaster type situation or a guildmaster and then a vice president type dude-other than that, we are pretty much down to choosing a server when they release the names (Seriously blizzard, with all due respect, what the flying fuck could possibly be the reason for not giving us the server names at this point?) and getting together for the guild charter on Tuesday.

I did some testing over the weekend, and I should be able to get 10 silver by the time my first toon gets to ironforge-so we need 10 people to meet me there, give me some cash to help me out, and sign the charter. I am guessing it will only take me, provided the noob zones aren't so crowded I can't level up, probably no more than 2 hours or so.

Also, something to keep in mind as the poll right now clearly favors a regular server-could an RP server be less crowded? And if so-shoudl that make any difference to us?
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 05:52:49 AM »

Is it true that there is no pvp (except for duels) on rp servers?

I know this has been clearified in other posts I think, but there are still PvP areas on the PVE servers, correct?  It is like DAoC in that there are special PvP zones I believe.  On the PvP servers, I believe all zones are PvP between the Alliance and Horde.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
ebane67
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 12:17:48 PM »

I really have no preferance to either type of server.  Having played on both types with EQ1 and trying to RP in SWG it can be a painful experience or loads of fun.
And for the record, I am heavily leaning towards a human rogue or 'rouge' as some would put it!  Even considering myself a casual player, I got my rogue to lvl 19, was a Herbalist/Alchemist/Fisher, and loved every minute of it!
 Cool

I'm Hudson, HE'S Hicks...sir
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 06:09:03 PM »

All you noobs-make sure you post enough on CG that you are no longer a newbie-thats one of teh requirement for the initial guild members.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 07:14:02 PM »

You can count me in as well.  

My first main character will probably be the Night Elf Priest (which are always useful right?) and human mage/dwarf paladin as alts.   And perhaps a dwarf hunter. And...
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 07:23:07 PM »

Also I'd like to make this suggestion. We should all come together from the start or maybe set a certain level and then we all meet in an area. I have no problem making a run from Goldshire to Ashenvale to get the Night elf players.

Ascendent
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 07:25:38 PM »

Quote from: "Ibby"
You can count me in as well.  

My first main character will probably be the Night Elf Priest (which are always useful right?) and human mage/dwarf paladin as alts.   And perhaps a dwarf hunter. And...

Well considering only maybe 1 other person has expressed an interest in playing priest, you might be the most popular member of the guild, STAT! Seriously, we are going to need at least 1-2 really expert priests who dont mind speccing holy at least for the end game if we are ever to accomplish guild-wide PvP and raid content. So, yeah, that would make people happy smile

Even the bard-like Paladin, with his rez and limited healing, seals, chants, etc-can be very useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: