http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:18:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone define some MMORPG terms for me?  (Read 5284 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2004, 06:14:37 PM »

MMORPG people speak their own language.  Now that I'm getting into and eventually buying WoW I'm curious about the following...

What's a toon?
An instance?
What/who are min/maxers?
Crafting?  Is this making something to sell?
Combat rezzing?  Is this resurrection?
What are mobs?  Groups of monsters?
DPS deficiencies?

Thanks.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 06:21:39 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
MMORPG people speak their own language.  Now that I'm getting into and eventually buying WoW I'm curious about the following...

What's a toon?
An instance?
What/who are min/maxers?
DPS deficiencies?

Thanks.

I know some:

A toon is one of your characters that you create.

An instance is a dungeon or area  that is available only to you or your group.  if another group enters the same area, they will get their own instance.

Min/Maxer are just like in RPGs.  People who create characters that have very high prime attributes and very low non-primes.  A fighter with 18 str and 3 int.  is an extreme example of min/max.

Crafting is creating weapons/armor/things and the such from materials you collect in the game.  You can sell or use the items.

Res is in fact resurrect.

A mob is a monster.

DPS is damage per second.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 06:22:58 PM »

What's a toon?
An instance?
What/who are min/maxers?
DPS deficiencies?

Thanks.

Quick & dirty:

toon =  your character

instance = a unique location created just for you (or your group)

min/maxer = a dork who exploits the system to do the most damage, make the most money, etc.  They are a pet peeve of mine.  If there is a certain class/weapon/combo of anything that is better than every other "thing" you can bet the min maxers are playing/using it.  They're rules-lawyer castoffs from DnD smile  Then when the devs nerf (another term for you = making things less effective than they were i.e. "They nerfed Fireball IX so that it only does half the damage than it used to.") their exploit they all complain about it for a few weeks until they find a new  exploit.

crafting = you are correct.

combat rezzing = I have no idea!

mob = monster/enemy  I know that term came from EQ but I don't know why.

DPS = damage per second (I think)  min maxers like to know this so that they can do the most DPS.  See how that works?
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 06:26:43 PM »

toon = short for "cartoon" I suppose. Means the on-screen characters that represent people.  So you'd say something like "my toon looks funny in this armor"

Instance = a private adventuring area created just for you and your party. Nobody else can enter it and (theoretically) mess up your fun.

Min/Maxers: a type of player who strives to get the most out of a particular game by analyzing the best/worst qualities of a race, class, or situation, in order to maximize their experience gain.

crafting: making items out of raw materials. Yes, typically you want to sell the items (or if they're not sellable, then they should be useful to you).

Combat rezzing: yes, resurrection. The latest WoW patch prevents resurrection while fighting; however, Priests can get a "Combat Rez" spell which is better than the standard spell, and in theory lets them resurrect someone in the middle of a fight.

Mobs: monsters, yes. Short for mobiles I believe, and that came from.. EQ1? Not sure

DPS is damage per second, and a DPS deficiency would be a Priest. smile That is, someone who doesn't put out that much damage. Of course, Priests have other uses. If you have a class that doesn't have a lot of utility, and it doesn't have a high DPS, then it's not going to be a popular class.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 06:27:52 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"

Actually, the term is a very old MUD term which stand for "mobile."  In MUD terms, it is any NPC that is computer controlled.

mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 06:36:55 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"

Actually, the term is a very old MUD term which stand for "mobile."  In MUD terms, it is any NPC that is computer controlled.

Ah, MUDs.  I remember the bad old days.  I once played one that had a TV show theme.  You could get the Sword of Omens from Lion-o, Sherwood Shwartz (creator of Gilligan's Island) lived in the attic of the house you started in, you had to fight smurfs and muppets.  It was very silly and very fun.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 06:50:32 PM »

toon-A player's representative in the game world that generally looks the exact opposite of how they look in real life. Especially if it has breasts.

Instance-A way to insure that when a dungeon crashes it affects only a small group of players instead of the entire server.

min/maxers-players that make practical use of their mathematics degree

crafting-A means by which players spend days of realtime clicking their mouse button over and over and over in order to generate a small amount of cash in-game

combat rezzing-A way to hopefully compensate for when poor comminucation within the group results in 3 different people pulling from 3 different directions.

mobs-animated experience point repositories that one clicks on over and over to cause an experience tracking bar to move infintesmal amounts. (Think the term dates clear back to text MUDS. It's short for 'mobile' and was used to designate a computer controlled object that changed locations as opposed to being static.)

DPS Deficiencies-A prime concern of the min/maxers and something everyone feels their class has after a patch that "fixes" their class.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 07:41:11 PM »

what about 'griefer'? Is that just what it sounds like? a person who is a pain in the ass for other players?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 08:06:20 PM »

Yeah griefer is another one.

And who ever thought up toon for character?  What an odd name.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 08:07:29 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
what about 'griefer'? Is that just what it sounds like? a person who is a pain in the ass for other players?

A person who derives joy from ruining the play experience of others.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 08:22:19 PM »

And who ever thought up toon for character?  What an odd name.

I think that one might have old MUD or MUCK heritage, too.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 08:23:33 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

Yep, that's exactly what a griefer is. A griefer is a player who is deliberately a pain in the ass. A noob is someone who is unintentionally a pain in the ass

Some other terms for ya...

Ding!: Often used by players to announce that their character just levelled. Holdover from EQ which made a deep reverberating ding noise when you levelled that would scare the hell out of you if you weren't expecting it.

Woot!: Congratulations! Usually in response to Ding! No idea where this one originated

Aggro: Managing to grab a mob's attention so that it begins to attack. Gaining aggro means doing something to get the mob to attack you instead of someone else-whether intentionally or not

Train: When a player decides to run from a mob it will chase them. Often the player will inadvertently aggro other mobs while running until they have a "train" of mobs following them. Once the player dies or makes it to safety the end result is a huge crowd of mobs looking for trouble, often in a place where no one expects them to be. Surprise! Etiquette calls for yelling out warnuings to players in the area so they can get the hell out of the way.

Camping: A party will pick a relatively safe defensible spot and stay there, pulling miobs to them in safe numbers

Pull/pulling/puller: One person (ideally) in a party who runs out from the camp, gets aggro from a mob and leads it back to the camp where the rest of the party waits to beat it into a pulp.

Incoming!: What the puller yells to the party to let them know to be ready for imminent mob bashing.

Add!: An announcement made during combat when someone notices that another mob has aggroed and is adding itself to the melee

OOM: A proclomation from the casters in the party to tell the puller that they have no mana and that the puller should wait before pulling

mana40: Caster announcing what percentage of their mana they are at.

on me!: Caster announcing to the tanks in the group that they have aggro and need the tank to come to the rescue.

Tank: Meat shield. Ideally the tank holds the aggro of whatever mob the party is battling because they have enough hit points to withstand the damage.  The art of tanking is being able to grab aggro from the puller when they arrive with the mob and then keeping aggro away from the casters as they lay down the high damage spells.

med: Short for meditating. What casters generally have to do to regain their mana-sit in one spot and not do anything

Downtime: The amount of time a player has to sit and not do anything in order to heal or regain mana

Nerf: A patch that corrects what the devs see as an overly powerful class/skill/item/spell. Cause for much hue and cry on the forums.

dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 09:11:23 PM »

Here is a decent glossary of terms:

http://www.warcraftcentral.com/resources/glossary/

Another one:

http://wow.ogaming.com/data/1530~GeneralMMOSlang.php

warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 09:42:55 PM »

dangerballs I miss your sig from GG.  Can you bring it back please?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 09:44:48 PM »

another one is "buff"

This means to have another player cast a spell on, or otherwise enhance, your character.

Right?

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 01:26:21 AM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
another one is "buff"

This means to have another player cast a spell on, or otherwise enhance, your character.

Right?

Yep, and 'debuff' is a spell cast to weaken or to remove an ability

dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 01:40:10 AM »

dangerballs I miss your sig from GG.  Can you bring it back please?

I tried my best with this one  biggrin You don't get as much space here though.

Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2004, 03:30:53 AM »

"toon" is such a retarded term I get mad whenever someone uses it.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
DireAussie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 10:12:11 AM »

:lol:  I had to laugh at Gryndyl's post, you dont realise there are so many MMORPG terms until you start writing them out, and in your descriptions of the terms you introduce more and more terms which in turn you have to explain until you have pages full.

LOL. I dont get mad myself, but I too think it is a stupid term.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 12:05:57 PM »

biggrin

Back to the point - if I ever said the word "toon" to my wife there'd be no sex for a month while I was in treatment at the Remedial Geek Clinic in Propellerhead, ND.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 02:37:02 PM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"

Character is too long and char is what dragons do to adventurers. What's left?

I've never used toon personally and the first time I heard was in EQ... it made me sad.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 02:42:15 PM »

Ugg!  I have used toon in the past, but now that I realize it is just one letter away from tool I never will again.  Never!

morlac00 on PSN
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 02:58:04 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
Ugg!  I have used toon in the past, but now that I realize it is just one letter away from tool I never will again.  Never!

I don't know what sort of keyboard you're using, but between l and n on mine there's m, j, k and ,

Tongue
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 04:24:34 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"

I don't know what sort of keyboard you're using, but between l and n on mine there's m, j, k and ,

Tongue

you've obviously never seen me type in a MMORPG...horrid doesnt come close to a descrption  :lol:

morlac00 on PSN
Drum
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2004, 04:36:45 PM »

Instead of "Toon" I always use the classic term "Avatar".

avatar: An interactive representation of a human in a virtual reality environment. [Bahorsky]
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 04:48:48 PM »

Quote from: "Drum"
Instead of "Toon" I always use the classic term "Avatar".

avatar: An interactive representation of a human in a virtual reality environment. [Bahorsky]

Having given it more thought, I believe I always referred to my avatar as "I" when I played EQ. I think that helped a lot with immersion. smile

Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 04:50:11 PM »

Muds - I'm still legendary on one set of muds (Smaug)....   Which tells you haw bad I truly was on them smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Fafhrd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 05:29:59 AM »

A couple of other Terms used mostly by Rp'ers

(OOC)= Out of character. Use by rp'ers when confronted with people who arent talking IC and have found for some reason they need or want to respond.

(IC) In Character. Usually used after a (OOC) to go back into character so people won't be confused by the sudden change of speach mode.

Change is in the wind...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: