http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 04:33:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty MMO (just Activision exec speculation)  (Read 957 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »

ZOHMIGOD!

Activision's Kotick Talks Guitar Hero Expansion, Possible Call Of Duty MMO
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17725
In his response, Kotick suggested that Activision would be able to learn from Blizzard’s expertise in the MMO market and help to suggest how a Call of Duty MMO might work. However, it is unclear whether his comments were merely a hypothetical example of possible synergy between the two companies or a real hint at future plans.
Frankly, an Activision exec speculating about "what Activision can learn from Blizzard about turning Call of Duty into an MMO" just scares me.  Roll Eyes I just have this vision of Activision execs thinking Blizzard is a genie and if they rub it enough, out will pop another 8-million selling MMO.

WoW didn't fall off a turnip truck. It had a very successful and recognizable franchise (Warcraft) with several popular games and expansions, and history behind it that lent itself well to an MMO world.

Call of Duty? MMO doesn't seem to roll off the lips, though some of the stuff in COD4's multiplayer you could argue might work in an MMO style world, if meshed with a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. type environment with NPCs and missions and such. I still don't think most FPS players will come close to a monthly fee game for that kind of game. And I doubt any of Blizzard's experience with WoW would be at all applicable in that type of a situation.

Infinity Ward does amazing shooters well. I worry Activision's going to try to turn COD into a Swiss Army Knife franchise (MMOs! RTSs! COD Sports! COD Clothing Designer Software!).

My advice to Activision? Leave Blizzard alone (they've done fine to this point without wasting time conceptualizing other developers' franchises) and enjoy their revenue. smile

OK that's all my random Larry King like thoughts. smile I thought I'd post an "ZOHMIGOD!" thread before someone else here did.  slywink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:28:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:45:22 PM »

I always though WWII Online was a very cool idea.  I never played it, so I don't know how good it was, but the idea of being able to assume the role of an individual soldier or officer and coordinate on large offensives, including an overarching strategy, is very attractive (nevermind I would never want to be in a real war).  They could certainly do something like that, maybe with modern weapons.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:04:39 PM »

I don't think the technology or infrastructure is ready yet for something like this unless it's heavily instanced.  The few examples we have (WW2Online, Planetside) are fraught with problems.  In a few years though, I think we will see quiet a few "true MM" FPSs coming out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 01:55:19 AM »

nerf snipers!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:07:25 AM »

MMOFPS!

I remember when the everquest creators tried to pull this off (Planetside?), and while the concept is interesting,  I'm pretty sure the execution there is bland and uninteresting.

The problem is, when playing an FPS there's a story. You move from point A, to point B, to point C, and the game evolves. If you're playing Halo, and you kill everything in point B, you don't have to run to point A so you can get the quest that leads you to point C, along the way re-killing all the baddies at point B again because they had the audacity to respawn.

You need that feeling of being in an actual evolving war. Something where you feel like you're pushing back the enemy while simultaneously the enemy is pushing ahead on another front. The world needs to actually evolve, something mumorpergers have never actually succeeded at. I don't want to play the same level of an FPS over and over again.

The point I'm trying to get at is simply none of the conventions of the term MMO work well with FPS. It's like trying to merge the flavor of Apple with Licorice. You'll get something disgusting that only weird fetishists like.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on March 06, 2008, 03:07:25 AM

MMOFPS!

I remember when the everquest creators tried to pull this off (Planetside?), and while the concept is interesting,  I'm pretty sure the execution there is bland and uninteresting.

The problem is, when playing an FPS there's a story. You move from point A, to point B, to point C, and the game evolves. If you're playing Halo, and you kill everything in point B, you don't have to run to point A so you can get the quest that leads you to point C, along the way re-killing all the baddies at point B again because they had the audacity to respawn.

You need that feeling of being in an actual evolving war. Something where you feel like you're pushing back the enemy while simultaneously the enemy is pushing ahead on another front. The world needs to actually evolve, something mumorpergers have never actually succeeded at. I don't want to play the same level of an FPS over and over again.

The point I'm trying to get at is simply none of the conventions of the term MMO work well with FPS. It's like trying to merge the flavor of Apple with Licorice. You'll get something disgusting that only weird fetishists like.

I loved Planetside and enjoyed the battles to take over different territories.  I always felt like I was in a war with a purpose.  Same with WWIIOL.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 05:03:18 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on March 06, 2008, 03:07:25 AM

MMOFPS!
The problem is, when playing an FPS there's a story.

Some would say that story is much more important in an RPG and yet we have all these MMORPGs.

The problem is having to render so many characters in the same zone, physics calculations, net code, etc. is just not possible in a massive scope.  Why do you think most of the MMORPGs take a pseudo turn based approach?  It's sort of a workaround so that when you have 100+ characters in the same area, the game is still playable somewhat.

Personally, the concept of WW2Online is the perfect game for me.  I'm still waiting for the day when hardware technology catches up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: