http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:27:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bungie.net/Halo3 Questions  (Read 11102 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »

Hiyah. I'm becoming addicted.

Question about stats updates:

It shows that I've played no Ranked matches though it does show that I've earned the MVP badge in ranked match and has the count of me playing in ranked matches.

However, when you go into matchmaking stats, it's all 0s. Do those update on a daily basis or instantly like everything else?

Also, does the game auto select the type of slayer match you're playing? For example, across a couple of team leads, I played 3 or 4 games straight of Shottie Snipers...

Fun, but not my favorite. Is that randomly generated?

Also, any other general tips  would be appreciated.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:18:25 PM »

Also, is there any way to see how many and what type of medals you've earned lifetime?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 07:43:47 PM »

there are problems with how the stats site is updating right now...not everything is showing up that should, and matches that do show up can take a long time before making it to your list.  hopefully, Bungie will get the kinks worked out soon...

if you're playing team slayer, the game type and map are supposed to be random.  the randomization seems to be a little off, however, as you'll often wind up playing the same mode and maps quite a bit.  i'm not a big fan of shottie snipers either, but a ton of people seem to like it.

Quote from: ATB on October 07, 2007, 07:18:25 PM

Also, is there any way to see how many and what type of medals you've earned lifetime?

that's another thing that is supposed to show up on the stats website.  if you click on 'Career Stats' from the main service record page, it brings up a chart of all the medals you've learned, which can then be viewed as an overall number or by map.  despite playing 39 recognized matches (which are only a fraction of what i've actually played) and earning quite a few medals, however, my career stats page is completely blank.  maybe they'll get it straightened out eventually...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:07:14 PM »

Cool, thanks Disarm.

I just saw the last match I played. It's fitting that the guy I killed the most was "nLeagueWitSatan".

biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 08:19:48 PM »

Oh my this is going to be so much fun to watch as you try to progress up the ranks in slayer and team. Be prepared to whine (cough)..a lot. The people at the top of Halo are 100x better than anything you have seen in GoW and GRAW2-and I am not exaggerating (ranked playlists obviously).
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 08:41:27 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 07, 2007, 08:19:48 PM

Oh my this is going to be so much fun to watch as you try to progress up the ranks in slayer and team. Be prepared to whine (cough)..a lot. The people at the top of Halo are 100x better than anything you have seen in GoW and GRAW2-and I am not exaggerating (ranked playlists obviously).

Meh. Fun is fun. Like I said previously, I don't see myself ever taking this MP seriously.  Lots of people have at least a 3 year head start on me (when did 2 hit?) so I can't expect to compete too well.  I hope to settle into a slightly better than average player but would be content to be average as long as I'm having fun. FPS MP has never been my strong suit so I'ma just gonna roll.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 07, 2007, 07:12:48 PM

Also, does the game auto select the type of slayer match you're playing? For example, across a couple of team leads, I played 3 or 4 games straight of Shottie Snipers...

Each playlist has a set number of gametypes/maps - e.g. "Shottie Snipers on Valhalla", "1 flag CTF on High Ground", etc.  It's not selecting a random map and a random gametype each time.  Shottie snipers is over-represented.  On the next playlist update, they'll be fixing that.  I'm seeing people veto it more often.

Like I said previously, I don't see myself ever taking this MP seriously.

There's plenty of social hoppers where people aren't rank obsessed, so that's a good place to hone your skills. 

For many gametypes (e.g. "slayer"), Halo is a resource management thing - you can hold 2 (two) weapons, and on most maps, weapons don't respawn while other people are holding them.  Consequently, if you get the sniper rifle and the rockets, and hold onto them, you're safe to run around all crazygonuts without being head shot (or having your ghost/banshee/whatever rocketed).  There are exceptions - on the default matchmaking playlists, the gravity hammer on Guardian respawns after awhile.  But if you learn where the weapons are and monopolize them without dying, you're going to do pretty well.  I play a lot of doubles w/ my peeps, and that's all about sticking together and keeping control of the four most desireable weapons for each map.  As an example, on High Ground, it's usually rockets/sniper and laser/shotgun.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:25:34 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 07, 2007, 09:31:38 PM

For many gametypes (e.g. "slayer"), Halo is a resource management thing - you can hold 2 (two) weapons, and on most maps, weapons don't respawn while other people are holding them.  Consequently, if you get the sniper rifle and the rockets, and hold onto them, you're safe to run around all crazygonuts without being head shot (or having your ghost/banshee/whatever rocketed).  There are exceptions - on the default matchmaking playlists, the gravity hammer on Guardian respawns after awhile.  But if you learn where the weapons are and monopolize them without dying, you're going to do pretty well.  I play a lot of doubles w/ my peeps, and that's all about sticking together and keeping control of the four most desireable weapons for each map.  As an example, on High Ground, it's usually rockets/sniper and laser/shotgun.

That sounds like seriousness. slywink
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:59:28 PM »

The thing I don't get about MP in general (GRAW2, GOW, etc) is why if it's a measure of 'trueskill' does your advancement rely solely on whether you win as a team or not?

Guys on my team (and me on teams in GRAW2) can have 20 kills, lose and still be penalized. How is that a measure of trueskill?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 12:11:44 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 07, 2007, 11:59:28 PM

The thing I don't get about MP in general (GRAW2, GOW, etc) is why if it's a measure of 'trueskill' does your advancement rely solely on whether you win as a team or not?

Guys on my team (and me on teams in GRAW2) can have 20 kills, lose and still be penalized. How is that a measure of trueskill?

In Halo 3, your experience level relies on whether you win/lose as a team, but I don't think your rank in that playlist is as tightly determined.  I've jumped over a friend of a higher level in the past (and I've seen people drop more than others).  In short, I think individual performance does have an impact on your playlist rank.  I'll see if I can dig up info on bungie.net.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 12:13:26 AM »

It's not-the Halo 3 system (whether they say its trueskill or not) is about 1000x better than the completely, utterly, broken trueskill of GRAW2 and the not quite as broken but still awful trueskill of GoW. As far as I know, the R6 Vegas experience system worked quite well.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 03:30:58 AM »

So much fun this game is especially when the matchmaking works and I actually play against those of the same skill level. Fun fun fun!
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 04:25:25 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 08, 2007, 03:30:58 AM

So much fun this game is especially when the matchmaking works and I actually play against those of the same skill level. Fun fun fun!

There's a reason there's a million people online playing it at any given point in time. slywink

One other thing you might consider for Learning The Game is viewing people's saved films.  If you look at someone's gamercard from within Halo, then go to their file share, you can frequently download movies they've pushed up to the server and watch from anyone's perspective.  Actually, if you get your ass kicked in a match, just watch the replay from the perspective of the people who did the ass kicking.  The replay functionality is awesome.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 10:55:33 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 08, 2007, 12:13:26 AM

It's not-the Halo 3 system (whether they say its trueskill or not) is about 1000x better than the completely, utterly, broken trueskill of GRAW2 and the not quite as broken but still awful trueskill of GoW. As far as I know, the R6 Vegas experience system worked quite well.

The R6 vegas system is pretty horrible actually.  It takes waaaaaay too much time to level up.  Way too much time.

Just Hiro will do.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »

I'm hooked on the MP and my career stats page as well!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 06:17:39 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on October 08, 2007, 10:55:33 AM

Quote from: Calvin on October 08, 2007, 12:13:26 AM

The R6 vegas system is pretty horrible actually.  It takes waaaaaay too much time to level up.  Way too much time.

Also the R6 system does nothing but tell you who plays more, it has nothing to do with skill at all.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 06:48:29 PM »

What're your thoughts on the H3 MP set up?

I'm not sure I've found an MP game yet that is based on actual skill (singular) than the skills of a team.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 07:09:31 PM »

Once you get past skill level 10 or so you'll find that you are usually playing against similiarly or lower skilled players.  The higher up you get the more accurate the game matching is.  The problem with playing in the really low level skill brakets is that even the best players in the world have to start at skill level 1.

It's less accurate in team games because the formula only counts team wins.  This sometimes has the odd effect of a lower skilled player riding on the coattails of higher levels and getting ranked higher than they should be.  You can also be unfortunate and end up on the losing team and be the best player in the game and therefore loss rank.  The formula looks at your skill level compared to the opponents and determines who 'should' win and if the result is other than that a larger adjustment is made.

The way the math works though, if a high skill gets matched with a low skill it's possible for the high skill to lose a rank even if winning.  That's the only true negative point to the formula I've seen.

You can wiki up trueskill for the details on the math behind it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 07:51:45 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 08, 2007, 06:48:29 PM

What're your thoughts on the H3 MP set up?

I'm not sure I've found an MP game yet that is based on actual skill (singular) than the skills of a team.

Lone Wolves game type is a 5 man FFA game.  You can poach kills from other players, but it's just you against them.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »

Do the new armors you unlock give you better abilities?

Another n00b said he was told they did, wheras I said I think they're just for decoration.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 03:04:22 PM »

It appears that the stat tracking is now working for the ranked matches.

My K/D ratio is .80. Not great, but not terrible for teh WunderN00b.

Edit: OMG that's better than Harkonis!

<does happy dance>
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:09:39 PM by ATB » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 09, 2007, 01:04:20 PM

Do the new armors you unlock give you better abilities?

Another n00b said he was told they did, wheras I said I think they're just for decoration.

Armor is just for looks.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 05:08:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 09, 2007, 03:04:22 PM

It appears that you only use a couple weapons.  How is it possible you haven't killed someone with a battle rifle or rockets??
depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »

FYI - we have another Warhawk situation on our hands where bungie.net isn't showing (for me at least):

-20 or so team slayer matches

-last two levels' worth of stats and badge to show I completed the game on legendary

All took place during last weekend - a bungie employee responded on their boards that due to a stat overload on the weekend they're updating very slowly... but Dylan Jobe said this about Warhawk stats that eventually never appeared.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 05:21:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 09, 2007, 03:04:22 PM

Edit: OMG that's better than Harkonis!

<does happy dance>

You'll probably be better in all stats on Halo.  I don't like Halo, that's why I didn't play much on H1 and H2.  Not to mention even when I win I usually have more deaths than anyone else in the game. frown  Live it up while you can, before COD4 comes out slywink

I'm only renting Halo 3 since I'm only playing while it's 'hot' with you forum peeps.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 05:24:30 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 09, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Not to mention even when I win I usually have more deaths than anyone else in the game. frown 

What're you typically playing?  Objective or Slayer gametypes?

I have a hard time explaining to peeps online that in Slayer, you just need a positive +/-.  It's obvious, but it doesn't matter if everyone on your team gets only 3 kills, as long as they have fewer than 3 deaths.  It drives me crazy when people crow about their 22 kills when they were killed 25 times.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »

My K/D ratio is terrible frown
depward

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 05:30:09 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 09, 2007, 05:24:30 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on October 09, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Not to mention even when I win I usually have more deaths than anyone else in the game. frown

What're you typically playing?  Objective or Slayer gametypes?

I have a hard time explaining to peeps online that in Slayer, you just need a positive +/-.  It's obvious, but it doesn't matter if everyone on your team gets only 3 kills, as long as they have fewer than 3 deaths.  It drives me crazy when people crow about their 22 kills when they were killed 25 times.
That's exactly the key to winning - don't die a lot.  TML & I preach this to people we play with.  When it happens, we win.  If someone goes 20 / 20, well, 20 kills is good... but 20 deaths is horrific.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 06:59:02 PM »

For whatever reason I just have a horrid time staying alive in Halo.  In R6 it wasn't unheard of for me to only die once in a game with 20 kills.  I could get by in COD4 with 4 or so deaths and 20 kills, but in Halo 3 I'm lucky to only die 15 times if I get 20 kills. 

I just haven't grasped what it takes to kill someone AND get away alive before someone else gets me.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 07:04:27 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 09, 2007, 06:59:02 PM

For whatever reason I just have a horrid time staying alive in Halo.  In R6 it wasn't unheard of for me to only die once in a game with 20 kills.  I could get by in COD4 with 4 or so deaths and 20 kills, but in Halo 3 I'm lucky to only die 15 times if I get 20 kills. 

I just haven't grasped what it takes to kill someone AND get away alive before someone else gets me.

Hark, what do you think the difference is?  In R6 I couldn't walk forward and shoot the gun at the same time. In this one, I seem to be doing much better (was just busting chops by the way...you're still teh ace).

Is it cause R6 is almost instant death (ditto COD4?).  GRAW2, though 3rd person, is almost instant death too, but I seem to be fine in that game.

In COD4 I'm below average no doubt.  But I find that game so much fun I don't think I'll care if I suck.

Edit: Oh and after a long 'lunch' in which I pwned up and down the matches (lucked into hooking up with 2 really good guys to play with) I'm now at .98. biggrin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:12:13 PM by ATB » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 07:39:35 PM »

I think the insta kills makes a big difference since I'm usually pretty good at being the first to fire even in Halo.  I hate sneaking up on someone, opening up on them and getting killed.  Feels like I was cheated.

I played a bit with a guy who is skill level 44 and it was just the most demoralizing thing I've experienced since my Quake II fiasco.  (wherein I got tired of beating up friends with scores of 100 kills with zero deaths and decided I must be good so should join a ladder.  First game was against the current ladder champion and I only SAW him once the whole match.  frown )

Can't wait for COD4
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »

I do get killed quite a bit, even in games that I place high in, but it's still a ton of fun.  I noticed that there's a stat tracked for assists and I usually have a ton of those, just some bastard steals my kill!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 02:43:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 07, 2007, 08:41:27 PM

Meh. Fun is fun. Like I said previously, I don't see myself ever taking this MP seriously. 

As I obsess over getting my K/D ratio to 1.0, I must revoke the previous statement. I'm sitting at .96 and it's driving me up the wall.  mad mad mad

Was .98 until a horrible night last night.  My kingdom to get those .02 back!

retard
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 04:27:24 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 12, 2007, 02:43:22 PM

This statement would have been even more true in Halo 2, but ATB, you really really need to learn to use the battle rifle.  You only have 5 kills lifetime with the most effective medium range weapon in the game!  There's always room for battle rifle!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 12, 2007, 04:27:24 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 12, 2007, 02:43:22 PM

This statement would have been even more true in Halo 2, but ATB, you really really need to learn to use the battle rifle.  You only have 5 kills lifetime with the most effective medium range weapon in the game!  There's always room for battle rifle!

You are the 2nd person to say this to me today. I will give it a try.

Any tips when using it?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 12, 2007, 04:34:35 PM

You are the 2nd person to say this to me today. I will give it a try.

Any tips when using it?

It's most effective when you hit people in the head.  Each pull of the trigger is three rounds, and you can kill a fully-shielded opponent with four bursts if you hit them there.  It has a 2x scope, so on large open spaces (Valhalla, etc), you can hit people from a pretty reasonable distance.

In Halo 2, you couldn't go a match without meeting someone with the "noob combo", which was the BR and a plasma pistol.  A fully charged plasma pistol drops someone's shields entirely, so the combo was insta-death if you were hit.  The plasma pistol was toned down considerably - it no longer seeks as dramatically as it did - but the combo still works.

I despise the carbine, which is the convenant version of the weapon.  I have no helpful carbine tricks.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 05:00:05 PM »

the Battle Rifle is definitely one of the better weapons in the game.  always aim for the head, that should be automatic in any FPS really.  it's very accurate even up to long range

the Carbine is pretty good too, since it also has headshot ability...so again, aim for the head.  I prefer the BR, but not by a huge amount or anything.  I have a lot more kills with the BR but only because I don't seem to find Carbines that much on the MP maps
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »

Tips for headshots? I mean in the thick of it when it's close quarters it's pretty much to frenetic to pinpoin imo.

That's why my stats center so much around close quarters combat....I like to look into their eyes and see what's going on as I turn the knife.

This Commando moment brought to you buy:

Commando the Movie: Quotable for more than 20 years!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 05:11:38 PM »

Well on from the matches that Bungie.net has decided to actually record, which is missing 30-50 and also showing me as a gunnery sargent as opposed to a lieutenant, I have a 1.03 K/D for Ranked.

Mostly that is due to playing with a group of people that communicate well during matches.  And this is despite the fricking matchmaking system deciding to continually throw us up against skill 30+ people all the time.

There are many games where I end up wanting to throw my controller at the screen still.  Also many games where we just rock the other team, such as a 50-15 match we had.

<shrug> Too many factors to really worry about I guess.  I do like the BR, especially when I can play a support role from a distance while Smurff and Quatoria get in close with the enemy.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 12, 2007, 05:07:14 PM

Tips for headshots?
Shoot at heads?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print