http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:15:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blizzard - No more WoW copies being made available  (Read 4543 times)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2005, 07:18:06 PM »

Just read on the Blizzard forums directly from a Blizzard employee, Blizzard is not releasing any more copies of WoW to the market until game issues are resolved.  

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=748667&p=1

Of course, the people selling copies on e-bay love this news.  Just today, non-CE copies are going for $150.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8162532248&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 07:23:56 PM »

I firmly believe this is a good thing. We do NOT need any more strain on their servers for right now. they have proven simply unable to handle the load.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 07:41:34 PM »

I am also in the "firmly believe that this is a good thing" category.  The game has become quite unstable for me since the wonderful day-long maintenance of last week, and I am quite annoyed.  Reference Penny Arcade taking away their best game of 2004 award.

Naturally it had to happen to my server.  If all of the servers were effected, I would still be annoyed, but then we wouldn't have the "You must be an idiot, I haven't had any problems" comments slywink
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 07:44:21 PM »

I sold an unopened CE copy for $180 last night.. now I can sell regulars for that?

Looks like I'm off to Target.   (they had 4 copies on Thursday.)
Goldenember
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 07:44:41 PM »

*cry* I have been dying to play this game and I was never able to find a copy even before christmas. Guess I have a wait ahead of me.  :x
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 07:52:37 PM »

Well.  I just did a quick ebay scan and there are plenty of regular edition copies for sale.   Auctions are closing at ~$80.  That $150 regular edition was a fluke, methinks.  

Is there a way to search finished auctions only?

Damn, Target only had 1 left.

[previous offer here no longer available]
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 08:03:03 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
Well.  I just did a quick ebay scan and there are plenty of regular edition copies for sale.   Auctions are closing at ~$80.  That $150 regular edition was a fluke, methinks.  

Well the last two non-CE copies that were just sold today had a price war in the final minutes.  For example, the linked WoW copy that I pasted in this thread was only $90 with 10 minutes left.  It ended at $147+.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »

I'm watching one closing right now.. it's at $102 with 2 minutes left.    That is CRAZY.  ..there just closed at $105.50.

Target only had 1 and someone here has claimed it already. (sorry all)
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 09:51:11 PM »

This is good news, but what Blizzard needs to do is cough up the cash and add more servers.

At this point, some servers probably need to be split up, and that's what I think eventually will happen.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 10:17:47 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"

At this point, some servers probably need to be split up, and that's what I think eventually will happen.

Could they ensure that they kept guildmates on the same server?  If not, there'd be a big uproar.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 11:15:57 PM »

I should head on over to my local store to see if I can find it.  eBay, like the auction house in game, makes me greedy.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 11:16:28 PM »

I dont play wow, so this does not bother me much, since i did not like the game enough to play it.  Im not posting to make fun of you guys tho, only to say this is very strange.  The game was smooth like butta in beta, i played it for almost 6 months with out a hitch.  While launch problems are common in the realm of MMOs, a smooth launch followed by a plauge of problems is not.  Very very strange stuff.  Heres to hoping they get it fixed some time soon, you poor bastards.

AttA
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 11:59:05 PM »

The problems thay've had since launch wouldn't have been around in beta. That was a much smaller number playing the game. The main issues arn't in gamebugs that I have seen, its overloading on the system, or on specific servers. I think they may have let the population cap be too high per server.

If there is a way for them to migrate people(and include guilds as a whole) to the lower population servers this would be a good move on their part. Again if they can even do it.
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 12:31:36 AM »

I got WoW for Christmas but haven't started it yet, mainly because I wanted to play my other games before WoW sunk it's addictive hooks in me.  Now I'm glad I waited and haven't started on my time yet.  I'll just sit back and finish my other Christmas games and wait for things to settle out.

Who reads these anyway?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 12:48:23 AM »

Quote from: "Scuba-V"
I got WoW for Christmas but haven't started it yet, mainly because I wanted to play my other games before WoW sunk it's addictive hooks in me.  Now I'm glad I waited and haven't started on my time yet.  I'll just sit back and finish my other Christmas games and wait for things to settle out.

My note to people who are waiting...just don't go to a high pop server.  I went to Bronzebeard, a low pop (even today I think) pacific coast server and I've never had a problem logging in.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 01:52:19 AM »

This is good news, but what Blizzard needs to do is cough up the cash and add more servers.

The problem isnt money, or the number of servers.  They already threw hardware at the problem, remember?  

This is a technical problem which needs to be ironed out.  Kudos to Blizzard for actually admitting there is a problem, and moving to sacrafice short-term profit in order to not make their current problems worse.  

Did UO or EQ (or even that God-awful AO) do anything like this to maintain a level of playability for their users?  Hell no, and they just further proved how crappy they were, both as a product and a company.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 02:13:09 AM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
I am also in the "firmly believe that this is a good thing" category.  The game has become quite unstable for me since the wonderful day-long maintenance of last week, and I am quite annoyed.  Reference Penny Arcade taking away their best game of 2004 award.

LOL like Blizzard cares.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 04:10:32 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
Quote from: "Butterknife"

LOL like Blizzard cares.

You're right, of course.  But, maybe they'll care when I don't renew my subscription at the end of this month.

The game is great, I love it.  I'm having a total blast playing it.  But last night I couldn't get on.  I crashed so many times this weekend I didn't bother counting.  Tonight, I'm number 750 in line with a 45 minute estimated wait.  Assuming that I don't get kicked off (a very unlikely assumption, considering past stability) I may be able to play for a half hour to an hour, assuming I'm willing to wait that long just to get into the game in the first place.

Free days will mollify me, but they had better 'fess up to it now.  Otherwise I'll just quit and come back in several months when they've got it up and running -- I'm not paying to beta test any more. frown
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 04:10:54 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

The problem isnt money, or the number of servers.  They already threw hardware at the problem, remember?  

Yes, I remember. Do you remember that performance and stability improved immediately once new servers were added.

Then the Christmas rush gave WOW another population boom, and the problems reappeared.

So we are back to square one.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 04:50:36 AM »

Well, I'm still waiting in line, supposedly for only another 20 minutes.  Here is the "official word" from Blizzard,

During the server maintenance last Thursday, we performed a major upgrade to some of our database servers. At first the new servers performed flawlessly, but under heavy load at peak times, the new database servers are experiencing performance issues which have resulted in stability problems on certain realms, minor rollbacks and a problem with character retrieval upon login that some of you have reported.

Naturally we do not consider this an acceptable state of play for our customers. We are working around the clock to diagnose and remedy these problems. As a temporary solution, we have placed lower population restrictions on the affected realms; this results in queues when the population reaches a certain number. This is a short-term solution and, while undesirable, is in place to keep the realms more stable while we work on the main cause of the issues.

During the regular manintenance window that is scheduled for tomorrow, we will be making some additional changes that should allow us to increase the population restrictions on the affected realms. Our team is committed to resolving these issues as quickly and efficiently as they can. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

The entire thread can be found here
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 11:04:48 AM »

If you're truly going to wait, sell your copy on ebay and buy a new one when you're ready.  Easy money!

Onnel

Quote from: "Scuba-V"
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 12:22:46 PM »

Yes, I remember. Do you remember that performance and stability improved immediately once new servers were added.

Actually, I remember the new hardware causing a few problems, rather than solving it.

Im just not seeing this as an issue cause by Blizzard being cheap, or not throwing enough resources at the problem.  You can only spend so much and do so much before more resources become wasteful and counter-productive.  This is a plain ol' technical problem, and the people working there need to figure out what its causing it, then impliment the solution.  

I dont know if any of you have tried fixing a car engine while its running, but its probably a pretty accurate analogy for what they are doing.  I've had to fix countless servers while they were being actively used, so I can sympatize.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 06:00:39 PM »

Is it possible to trade a copy of WoW?  I don't think I"m going to renew when my free month is up.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2005, 06:24:12 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

The problem isnt money, or the number of servers.  They already threw hardware at the problem, remember?  /quote]

The problem was the servers, or the lack of them. Blizzard didn't have enough up when the game launched. Now they have a number of servers that can't handle the loads they must have assumed they could. Now they have a number of overloaded high pop servers and many low pop ones. Offering a way for players and guilds to switch over would be a viable way to spread the load. If theirs any way they can do this it should be looked into.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005, 06:24:23 PM »

Is it possible to trade a copy of WoW?

As long as you give them your account info as well.
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2005, 08:29:47 PM »

So has anyone found copies in their local store? My girlfriend wants in and I don't feel like sharing. smile

If you have a sealed copy to sell, PM me. smile
Goldenember
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2005, 08:32:53 PM »

Besides them fixing technical issues and allowing a player migration do they also plan on adding more servers? It just seems that unless they add several more the current ones are going to get overcrowded again once they start selling copies of the game once more.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 12:59:43 PM »

It seems http://www.gamestop.com still has copies available online. You can also check your local area on gamestop - I just entered my zip code and noticed 4 of the stores in my area have "4+" copies in stock.
Haven't had much luck looking at the recent prices on Ebay though because some fool completely spammed Ebay with "Gold for sale". There are pages after pages of it it's hard to see any genuine auctions for WoW anymore.
Do people really pay for COMPUTER GOLD?! $139.99!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4596&item=8162768815&rd=1

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005, 02:43:36 PM »

Aren't all those WoW thngs on EBAY, besides selling the game itself, against the ToS of WoW?

Here in the Northern Virginia area WoW is still available in most stroes.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2005, 01:32:37 AM »

It seems www.gamestop.com still has copies available online. You can also check your local area on gamestop - I just entered my zip code and noticed 4 of the stores in my area have "4+" copies in stock.
Haven't had much luck looking at the recent prices on Ebay though because some fool completely spammed Ebay with "Gold for sale". There are pages after pages of it it's hard to see any genuine auctions for WoW anymore.

Search for "world of warcraft new" or "sealed", not just wow or world of warcraft.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2005, 02:11:00 AM »

Hey, if someone were to report people selling in game stuff on ebay, that might cut down on the overcrowding a bit...

Of course, I think it can't be that hard for the WoW folks to go to ebay and search for it themselves.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Goldenember
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2005, 04:09:14 AM »

I see that some of the stores are once again selling copies of WoW after not having any for the past month+.  So does this mean that blizzard has resolved the issues with lag, queues etc? I have been waiting to pick up a copy and start playing but I keep hoping they will add more servers first - any word if more servers are part of their plan to resolve some of the overcrowding issues?
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2005, 03:54:48 PM »

I play on one of the 20 infamous high-pop servers, and overall stability seems to have improved a bit over the last few days.

However, at peak times, there is a bit of a line -- still, it's usually not more than about a 5-minute wait, which is annoying but hardly as irritating as the previous 45-minute ones.  I'd say, if you can find a copy, buy it and join a low-pop server, you should be just fine.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2005, 04:36:28 PM »

From what is being said, Blizz is gonna double its servers soon from 88 to like 170+ and allow a 1 time player migration.
Goldenember
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2005, 05:59:06 PM »

Thanks for the responses. I think I shall try and wait until they add in new servers before I start playing. Any idea when they plan on adding more?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: