http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:49:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Prophecy  (Read 9356 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »

here's a new video preview.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »

The dev has a "suggested questions for community Q&A" thread going through Feb. 11, so they will probably have a Q&A up in maybe a week or so:
http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9805

The questions so far, such as "how do I download this game?", don't give me much hope for the usefulness of the Q&A.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

People are better off not knowing, I'm afraid. This one won't last long

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 10, 2011, 01:40:06 PM

People are better off not knowing, I'm afraid. This one won't last long
I'd agree if they were going to charge $15 a month, I'd think "here's another Auto Assault about to happen." It's a free to play now though. It's not going to kill anyone to try it, right?  icon_smile

I don't know much about the new publisher Amigo, but they're used to F2Ps, and they've apparently made some substantial financial investment recently in the game to support development.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 02:09:17 PM »

Yeah, they are running Neocron, which is actually not a half-bad MMO game. Black Prophecy is what's going to save or doom them, though, according to themselves over at the Neocron forum.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »

European open beta has started: http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10289

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 28, 2011, 06:53:11 PM

Worth highlighting for us U.S. Folks...
Two new open beta servers have been opened: Kemmura (EU English) and Shinava (EU German). Residents of the US and Canada who were previously selected for closed beta testing will be able to continue playing but new accounts from these areas will not be able to connect to the European servers. However, a North American closed beta test with local servers is coming very soon.

Some stuff from Gamigo's press release:
=================================================
BLACK PROPHECY: EUROPEAN OPEN BETA CLEARED FOR LAUNCH

Hamburg, February 28, 2011 - Calling all European pilots - please report to High Command now to register for open beta testing of Black Prophecy. This is an important milestone in the development of the space action MMOG published by gamigo and developed by Reakktor Media.

In order to ensure the best service, open beta testing will start first for players from Europe. Players from North America need not despair, though, as servers for closed beta testing there will available in March.

The new open beta client will include many new and updated features that were not available before: controls have been made more intuitive and allow the direction one is shooting in to be determined independently from the direction of the ship [I wonder if that means turrets of some sort-bj]. Weapons have been examined carefully and their damage output has been rebalanced. The level cap has been raised to level 40 and new content has been added. A change log of all the new features can be found in the official forum.

All planned features, such as modular ship-building, the skill system, exciting single-player, group, clan and PvP missions as well as the innovative clan stations have been fully implemented. A special highlight is the voiced dialogue spoken by professional voice actors and accompanied by an orchestral soundtrack.
------------------
Hopefully there'll be more fresh footage released as open beta launches.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:23:46 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »

This hath gone liVe in Europe (available in English and German), and they expect to start sending out North American beta invites later in the week:
http://www.blackprophecy.com/index.php?id=14&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=208&tx_ttnews[backPid]=30&cHash=23f7314723
As of today the Black Prophecy European live service has started. On two servers, European players are invited to begin their journey into Black Prophecy’s exciting universe.

Players who have already participated in the open beta phase will keep their existing accounts but have their characters and clans wiped. In appreciation for the past months of testing we have prepared a small surprise package with some premium items that players who have played since beginning of the open beta will find in their premium storages.
North American players who participated in closed beta will get to play on the European servers:

http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11497
Access to Black Prophecy for players from North America
Players from North America who participated in the closed beta will be able to play on the EU servers. Playing on both regions will be possible for all users once the EU and the North American versions are live. However, we are not going to offer any transfer service for the upcoming North American servers. If you decide to start playing on the EU servers you will have to reroll your characters on the North American servers again.

Furthermore the North American beta servers are deployed as we speak. We are expecting to send out the first invitations within the next 48 hours.

Since it's live in Europe, the English-language forums are probably a good place to read up on the game now that players can talk about it more:
http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=216
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:19:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:36 PM »

launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XyxPtHLVDpQ

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »

North American closed beta started:
(Link won't work properly, too much punctuation in the link I think)
Shortly after the launch of the European version of Black Prophecy, we are glad to inform you that the U.S. closed beta has been officially started and that the first thousand invites have been sent out. We will send out more invites very soon and also start beta key give-aways with selected games press media.

*I can confirm so far, indubitably, without a doubt whatsoever, that so far I'm... not in it.  tear icon_razz
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:58:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2011, 12:40:36 AM »

mmorpg.com just started giving away keys for the NA closed beta. Plenty left as I type this.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2011, 02:19:43 AM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on March 25, 2011, 12:40:36 AM

mmorpg.com just started giving away keys for the NA closed beta. Plenty left as I type this.

Signed up for a key and have one as of right now. Downloading to see how it is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, Barrakketh. I signed up and got one. I'll check it out tonight or this weekend.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 10:42:48 PM »

I played this last night.  It felt like a re-hash of Wing Commander.  The missions were uninspired, there didn't really seem to be a point to doing anything.  The control scheme for non-piloting control is abysmal.  I'm not so sure there's anything here that would make it worth playing on an extended basis.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »

a new AI feature announced!

http://blackprophecy-game.com/index.php?id=14&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=219&tx_ttnews[backPid]=30

(you'll have to cut and paste it since there are brackets in the address)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:36:37 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »

Awesome! biggrin

That said, I like the game. Gives me a great old-school Wing Commander/Privateer vibe.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 01, 2011, 03:34:27 PM

a new AI feature announced!

http://blackprophecy-game.com/index.php?id=14&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=219&tx_ttnews[backPid]=30

(you'll have to cut and paste it since there are brackets in the address)

I hate April Fools Day....
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »

I can't seem to play any of the gamigo games.  I can log into their website, but the accounts all seem to log me out when I select them.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 03:15:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 01, 2011, 04:07:27 PM

I can't seem to play any of the gamigo games.  I can log into their website, but the accounts all seem to log me out when I select them.
Try clearing your cache/deleting history and what not if you are using IE.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on April 03, 2011, 03:15:06 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 01, 2011, 04:07:27 PM

Try clearing your cache/deleting history and what not if you are using IE.
did that, and tried Safari, Firefox and IE, all same.  very odd
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2011, 03:28:43 PM »

the first state of the game

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 14, 2011, 03:28:43 PM

the first state of the game
CeeKay is not prone to excessive, needless quoting like me... so I can't disappoint...  icon_smile
The immediate future
While one part of the development team is responsible for the live operation and general maintenance of the game, the bigger part is busy developing planned add-ons and major game extensions. Current planning comprises a monthly update of the game that adds new content at a small scale. In the meantime minor updates will be applied to fix bugs and further optimize the balancing.

About every three months a big update (add-on) is planned that will raise the current level cap and also provide all new game content in the form of new story missions to advance the main plot, new hubs and open world sectors to explore, new missions to master and, of course, more items to equip.

For example, in the first add-on (currently scheduled for June) we have taken your feedback, ideas and suggestions into consideration for the selection of these features, which include:

-New story missions to advance the main storyline
    -Enzo's – the new mission hub for levels 41 to 50, complete with new NPCs and missions
    -New Open World Sector set: Inferno at Tulima Superior (Level 41 to 50) with four sub-sectors
    -New feature: Sector linking (players can fly to sub-sectors seamlessly)
    -New dynamic missions
    -A new weapon type
    -A new ship module set for levels 41 to 50
    -Special skills, triggered by game items, that allow you to orientate yourself offensively, defensively or supportively during combat
    -An e-mail system that allows the dispatch of items
    -An improved user interface

Our long-term goals
While the content described above is just what we have in store for the first add-on, we are already hard at work on future expansions. I am happy to share some of our plans here and now, but please keep in mind that some of this is subject to your feedback (together with the numbers that we analyze from the servers) and may be postponed or adapted accordingly:

-Stronger focus on PvP and Faction vs. Faction: We have always envisioned Black Prophecy deriving a lot of its long-term motivation from a PvP system that lets Genides and Tyi fight over control of certain open world sectors. This system is currently being designed for implementation in the summer of 2011.
    -Clan station fights: A long-planned feature is that clans can fight over their stations, meaning they can protect their station or attack a rival station. There are, however, many questions to be answered about the rules and consequences, which has caused some delay. However, clan station fights are high on our priority list and it will not be too long for them to appear in the game.
    -More exploration elements: Black Prophecy was designed as a fast-paced combat game that could be enjoyed even in small doses. However, we have heard your cries for more exploration elements, and while the game will never be a fully free-roaming experience like in Elite, we will add more elements for you to explore - and exciting stuff to find in the vastness of space. The “Sector linking” feature for Tulima Superior described above is a small first step.
    -New gameplay modes: While the focus of Black Prophecy will always be on space combat (and not, say, freight runs), we are thinking about other activities in the game. More about this in another letter – you’ll be surprised!
    -Station walking: We know you’d love a social space in BP where you can get out of your ship, talk to the NPCs, chat with other pilots - or even compete with them in mini-games. This is why we are working on the “station walking” expansion for release next year. However, since this is almost like an entirely new game, it requires more time to develop than the features above. Then again: Think about the possibilities for enhancing this with more and more features over time…
I'm afraid "Station Walking" makes me shudder because sometimes vehicular games like the late Auto Assault waste a lot of time on an "avatar sequence" that looks subpar, presumably in part because the engine wasn't designed for it.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 15, 2011, 03:59:55 PM

I'm afraid "Station Walking" makes me shudder because sometimes vehicular games like the late Auto Assault waste a lot of time on an "avatar sequence" that looks subpar, presumably in part because the engine wasn't designed for it.

Tell that to CCP. frown

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 15, 2011, 05:05:13 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on April 15, 2011, 03:59:55 PM

Tell that to CCP. frown
CCP! You're wasting your time and money, you BIG DUMMIES! *Fist Shaking* How's that?  icon_smile

To be fair, the Eve stuff seems to involve actual combat in avatar fOrm. Auto Assault had this wonky looking avatar stuff in hubs/towns where you ran around, crafted and bought stuff but imho (and most others) the avatars looked terrible and added nothing to the game. But there was no combat in avatar form. Which was fine, the avatars just looked ugh.

The Black Prophecy impression I get it is, "Come back and see us in 6-9 months and we'll be really special then." I'm not sure that would go over well with most people...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:46:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 15, 2011, 05:43:19 PM

CCP! You're wasting your time and money, you BIG DUMMIES! *Fist Shaking* How's that?  icon_smile

Ha! thumbsup

What I don't like about the avatars in Eve Online is that it will draw people out of space - i.e. where the actual game happens - and into pissing around on a station, wasting time.  Will there be combat?  I don't think I've read anything about there being avatar combat in Eve, although I haven't looked at it for a while.

Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 15, 2011, 06:33:00 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on April 15, 2011, 05:43:19 PM

CCP! You're wasting your time and money, you BIG DUMMIES! *Fist Shaking* How's that?  icon_smile

Ha! thumbsup

What I don't like about the avatars in Eve Online is that it will draw people out of space - i.e. where the actual game happens - and into pissing around on a station, wasting time.  Will there be combat?  I don't think I've read anything about there being avatar combat in Eve, although I haven't looked at it for a while.
Pretty sure Dust 514 is a console MMOFPS that links with the PC version of the game in some way:
http://www.eveonline.com/pressreleases/default.asp?pressReleaseID=60
August 18, 2009 – CCP today revealed DUST 514™, a console-based hybrid MMO/FPS set within the EVE universe. The announcement, which included a video featuring gameplay footage, was made during a keynote address by CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Petursson at the Game Developers Conference in Cologne, Germany.

DUST 514, featuring first-person shooter and RTS-style gameplay, will interact directly with EVE Online, CCP’s critically acclaimed flagship MMO. This interplay between the two games opens the EVE universe to console gamers and gives them a chance to become part of one of the most massive cooperative play and social experiences ever.
I think devs have already wasted too much time trying to turn RTS environs into shooters or combine the genres (C&C Renegade, Savage, the mothballed Starcraft: Ghost, and I think there's another attempt at a Savage-type hybrid coming out soon or maybe it's already out). I tend to be skeptical of "hybrids." I think often it ends up feeling like an effort by a dev team out of its comfort zone -- it's like if iD decided it wanted to make RTSses all of a sudden but using the same people.

One can argue that taking a dev team out of its comfort zone might result in something fresh. I've argued SWTOR won't innovate the way people want it to simply cause most of its dev team is apparently veterans of older MMOs -- not people with a fresh perspective who wanna innovate and think "outside the box." I just think hybrids and making dev teams do something they're not used to more often results in something that looks good on a game box but doesn't prove popular or compelling to gamers in its final product form.

Lets hope Black Prophecy doesn't wimp out on its core focus (space combat) in favor of chasing hybrid-ness.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:23:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 15, 2011, 06:56:36 PM

Pretty sure Dust 514 is a console MMOFPS that links with the PC version of the game in some way

Oh, that.  Yeah it does, but all the combat will be in Dust 514 itself and not in Eve Online.  In Eve you will only see the results of the combat, i.e. which side takes the contested world.  The avatar stuff is, as far as I know, just about roaming around on stations doing a fraction of the stuff you can already do in space, and with the added "benefit" of emotes.  Complete waste of time in my opinion.

Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »

I haven't checked on Black Prophecy in forever. They released another "letter to the community" in late September (a North American release is still planned):
http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16927
In his latest letter to the community Patrick Streppel, member of the board at gamigo AG, addresses several concerns of the Black Prophecy community and gives an outlook on what player’s can expect in Black Prophecy’s near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Streppel

Thanks for taking the time to read the latest letter to the community. As usual, we will provide up-to-date background information about past and future events in the Black Prophecy universe. So just lean back and have fun reading!

The first add-on and the North American release
While we see the release of Black Prophecy to the North American market and the deployment of the first add-on as important milestones in the development of Black Prophecy, we also see the need to continue improving the release process. Bugs and issues that appeared to be fixed (and were confirmed as fixed on the Public Test Server) emerged again once the servers hit a specific number of players. We understand that this impacted your game experience, but the development team was able to address the most pressing issues within a short period of time. The consequences we draw from this, however, are that we will allow more time for testing future add-ons on the PTS while also ramping up our internal QA efforts to make sure that this will not happen again.

Known issues
We have received a lot of constructive feedback about the main aspects of the game as well as Episode 1 and would like address some of the concerns that have arisen in the past weeks. First of all, we need to say that we are still overwhelmed by your continued commitment and passion and would like to thank you all for that. Keep it coming!

The most annoying issue we and you are currently experiencing is the performance of the game client. With the first add-on, we updated the software that is responsible for displaying the HUD and processing all input and output to enable the new chat as well as some other related features. It was not immediately obvious during the evaluation of this software update that this version could cause any drop in performance. This did, however, turn out to be the case after the release of the add-on. The development team’s highest current priority is to address these performance issues. We cannot promise immediate improvement, though, as the source of these drops in performance are spread across several internal game systems because everything is connected. We will do our very best to provide a significant improvement as soon as possible. Once we have addressed this issue we will focus on optimizing game content and features that have already been implemented.

As mentioned earlier, we will invest more time into testing future updates of Black Prophecy as well as into optimizing features that have already been implemented. This includes, among others things, the clan system, story missions, dynamic missions and much more. Going into detail right now would go beyond the scope of this letter, but believe us when we say: “We hear you!”

Item shop
We have followed your discussions about the item shop in the forums and have also discussed how we can improve it. The first step was to lower the item prices. The next steps will be to improve the item descriptions in order to give you a clearer picture of what you are actually purchasing as well as to make technical improvements to the items in order to increase the cost/benefit ratio.

Public test server
Again we would like to emphasize the importance of the Public Test Server, especially in light of the upcoming second add-on with its focus on large-scale PvP battles. By spending time on the PTS, you greatly help improve the quality of Black Prophecy and contribute to its overall accessibility. To boost the motivation to participate on the PTS, we will also start to give out incentives to players who contribute significantly to the public test sessions.

Looking to the future
The next exciting episode of Black Prophecy is about to initiate docking procedures, as many of you might already know and may even have experienced on the PTS. For that, we want to thank every player who has been taking the time to help us squish out bugs and polish up the new episode.

We will go a bit more into detail for those who do not know much about the episode yet. Episode 2: Species War heralds the coming of a full-blown interstellar war with the addition of warzones. These bring a brand new PvP experience that will make the game’s breakneck battles even fiercer and push Tyi and Genide players to battle over control of key territories in the game universe.

Warzones are six brand new areas in which PvP players and their factions can battle for supremacy of the universe. Each warzone contains 3 sub-sectors: the Support Zone, the Outpost Zone and the Command Center. Each sub-sector must be fought through and conquered individually before moving on to the next. Once the Outpost sector and the Command Center in an area have been won, a faction can consider that warzone to be conquered. It cannot be attacked by other factions until a countdown timer runs out.

Conquering a warzone earns you more than just bragging rights. Players can gain distinct bonuses and major advantages for winning each sub-sector for their faction. Those victorious will reap such high rewards as major XP and the ability to trade earnings for exclusive upgrade blueprints that can only be found in warzone hubs. As more outposts are won, the faction will earn greater individual and group powers, which will aid them in their ultimate goal of total domination of the known universe.

While the second episode is undergoing intensive testing on the Public Test Server and the development team is focused on optimizing existing and new content, we have already put our heads together for the next episode. Huge PvP battlegrounds will be incorporated with the second add-on, but here's a heads-up for fans of PvE content: the next add-on is being made especially for you. To give you some idea of what we are talking about, imagine a classical raid system in which you fight end bosses alongside large groups of fellow pilots. New game content such as new missions (including raid-specific missions), weapons, sectors and the highly anticipated level cap raise will be implemented along with this raid system. But we don't want to reveal too many details now and will release more information in due time.

Thanks for taking the time to read and we look forward to seeing you in the game soon!

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »

Thought it was about time I finally gave this now F2P (https://en.gamigo.com/) a whirl. Installation is fussier than I'd like, requiring a C++ (or whatever) distributable, updating to the latest MS Framework 4.0 (which means LA Noire probably won't run for me anymore  Roll Eyes), and since their d/l client isn't fully updated, you end up waiting forever for 11 months of patches to install. Once I finally ran it, it was pretty stable though.

Pretty fun, although the strange turret opening tutorial sequence (which I guess attempts to train you in "leading" your target etc.) makes you think you stumbled into a turret simulator instead. It has tons of tutorials, almost to excess (mostly optional).

I thought I'd taken many screenshots this morning but only a few apparently:

For a game where avatars don't play much of a role, it has a strangely intricate character creation screen, including "ethnology."

During a tutorial sequence, you have more of a wire-frame view. While there's a fairly complicated system of upgrades and special ship maneuvers, it doesn't seem too obsessed with making you remember 53 hotkeys. Kind of refreshing.  icon_smile

While it's no swtor, there is a surprisingly large amount of voicework, most of it not too annoying.

The key/mouse controls (there's some gamepad/joystick support but I haven't read much positive about it in forums) is pretty close to Freelancer, or to some extent STO. Unlike STO, you can roll your ship to your heart's content (Q and E keys roll), invert it etc.; lot of freedom in that regard. It's pretty playable from the cockpit view, and there's an FPS-style view (no HUD). Default is a chase view where when you're accelerating, the view is directly behind; when still, it sort of pulls back to the right of your ship. "V" key switches among the view options.

There's no real "map" within a sector, so I've had some confusion on an initial multi-objective "job" cause I just can't find the probes I'm supposed to activate. Most of the time, you're waypointed where to go.

There's an option to auto-team on certain types of PvE instances.

Combat's pretty fun if (like just about every space combat title) very repetitive. PvE wise, they like to send swarms of lesser ships at you and have you do a lot of close combat. A big update a few months ago added PVP Warzones, big-scale PVE raids with mega-bosses and other goodies.

*Of course, like most SW fans, it just kills me nobody's doing a real Star Wars space-combat MMO. It just seems "duh," and yet the big publishers seem to think casual fans are terrified of space combat or something.  disgust
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:48:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »

I tried this a month or so ago and only gave it about 20 minutes of gameplay before going meh and uninstalling.

They should have just made it EvE with FPS combat but instead they kind of do their own thing in all the wrong ways. 

RETURN TO MISSION AREA almost made me throw up in my mouth.  The boring combat made me immediately wish for EVE's tab target/orbit system.

Maybe the combat gets better farther in?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »

I find it fun, but more in a twitchy, Freelancer (mouse/key controls work decently as in Freelancer), X-Wing (lead your targets), Guild Wars (heavy focus on instancing) way. The sectors feel plenty expansive to me and since your movement/orientation isn't constricted like in STO, it feels too me a decent amount of freedom within the sectors.

I think the presumably canceled Jumpgate Evolution likely would have had more appeal to Eve Onilne fans. We'll probably never know now. If you love Eve, stick with Eve.  icon_smile I wouldn't mislead anybody into thinking you get anything like that experience in BP.

I do think the whole movement between sectors stuff in BP, and choosing jobs etc. is just way too menu-list focused. As maligned as SWTOR's space combat lite is, I do kind of like how the galaxy map is handled there, sort of quickly zooming in and out of areas/regions.

I'd rather have a more visually fun way to choose where to go and what to do next, rather than what is effectively multiple, long, text-heavy, bulleted lists.

And while the BP devs seemed to have added endless numbers of tutorials and tutorial videos, there's something to be said to just making your controls and UI so intuitive that a player doesn't feel the need to wade through a sea of tutorials to understand them. Some of Black Prophecy so far feels that way, and then some of it feels easy to come to grips with. A mixed bag.

Anyway, I just played a couple hours Sunday so I'm no expert. I'll post more impressions as I get further.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:49:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »

Went ahead and downloaded the client. Gonna give this game a spin later this evening.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »

I also created a character and did the tutorial, but I was way too tired to learn much at that point.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2013, 02:25:51 PM »

I'd completely lost track of this.

It shut down back in Sept. 2012, fwiw:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/25/black-prophecy-says-good-bye-today-with-parties/

While I thought it had some potential, I recall spending too much time thinking, "Why don't they just do so and so the way Freelancer did?" Doing that wouldn't have ensured financial success but maybe it would've at least drawn most of us nostalgia-gamers.  icon_smile

While I don't know of anything much similar, its publisher Gamigo is trying another space and ground combat MMO F2P called Pirate Galaxy (game client or browser-based option):
http://pirategalaxy.gamigo.com/en/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:31:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: