http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 02:33:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioware:Mass Effect MMO makes sense  (Read 1833 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »

Eurogamer

A Mass Effect MMO is not only a possibility, teased BioWare series overlord Casey Hudson - it "makes sense".

"We've been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with their friends. We haven't yet come up with a way to do that, so we don't have anything to announce at this time. But, obviously, multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company," Hudson told Game Informer (via VG247).

"A lot of people say that they want to see an MMO - that kind of makes sense for this universe.

one MMO at a time Bioware icon_wink

which would you rather play?....The Old Republic or Mass Effect MMO?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:36:54 AM »

Honestly, I'd prefer a Mass Effect MMO.  I love the universe they created and let's be frank, we've been immersed in Star Wars games for years and years.  I'd definitely sit up and take notice of a Mass Effect MMO.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »

Personally I'd prefer Star Wars.  But I'm on the minority as far as Mass Effect goes.  I loved ME1 and was disappointed with ME2 -- both because of changes in game mechanics, and because I didn't like the plot involving 80% running around picking up random crew members instead of advancing storyline.  The last 20% was very nifty though.

I'm just not sure how rich the Mass Effect universe is at this point.  Compared to LotR, Star Trek, or even Conan, Mass Effect doesn't yet have the kind of rich mythos that I enjoy in an MMO.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

"even Conan"? Robert E. Howard would like a word with you about his 21 stories ;-)

I wonder if a standard MMO would work for ME, since we're used to highly detailed 3d characters in our ME universe.

But yeah, they'd need to be two very differet kind of MMO's to not compete with themselves. There's not that many good Sci-fi mmo's out there these days

A new one
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 11, 2011, 11:42:37 AM

"even Conan"? Robert E. Howard would like a word with you about his 21 stories ;-)

Well, much as I like Conan.  The depth of the Conan world and the history of the Conan world pales in comparison to Lord of the Rings.  I'm not sure how it compares with Star Wars or Star Trek, but I suspect at this point the depth of Star Wars or Star Trek material, even excluding the non-canonical or semi-canonical novels and comic books, dwarfs the amount of Conan material -- especially if you only include the Robert E. Howard material.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »

ah well, yes - Starwars has an insane number of things connected to its universe and lore, thats true.

Mass effect has what, 3 books now, right? And the three games.

What I do like about ME, is that they seem to have a huge lore /backstory in place already - something they have gone to great lengths to show both in their eh..wiki in-game, and in what people talk about. We all know about the Genophage, and how humanity's first encounter with space faring races went - something that all adds depth and plausability to the universe.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »

yeah Mass Effect ingame codex had a pretty crazy amount of info at least in the first two games setting up the races,the planets,the ships,the history etc etc

the 4th Mass Effect novel is due this year

they also have a few Dark Horse Comic Books(Redemption,Incursion,Inquisition and Evolution),not sure how well or how much info comes from that though

there is also a Mass Effect Anime due,oh and there was that iPhone Mass Effect game called Mass Effect Galaxy that was set between ME1 and 2

anyway,i am sure even if this MMO did happen we wouldn't see it for at least another 3 years(at the very earliest)..plenty of time for more stuff to be crammed into the ME universe

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »

I'd think long and hard ("That's what she said,"  icon_razz yeah I know) about whether you want Mass Effect's reasonably interesting AI to get boiled down to the usual MMO AI (presumably limited by server technology), which in most cases boils down to "ignore player when he's 8 yards away from me," and "become aware of player at 7 yards and chase him X yards away if he tries to run away." And mash hotkeys repeatedly, lather, rinse, repeat.

You can jazz that up with "patrol movements" and spawns, and stuns, mezzes and lots of annoying attacks, but in the end, you'll probably get more satisfying AI to combat in a regular old single player Mass Effect 4, 5 and 6 than you would in an MMO.

That doesn't stop me from playing many MMOs of late, but it's not lost on me that, in the end, MMO AI isn't really any more interesting than when I briefly dabbled in Everquest in 1999.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »

I think Mass Effect would make a great setting for an MMO but Im not sure if it makes sense to put that out with TOR out as well.  It seems like they would be competing directly against each other genre wise.
 On the plus side, they dont have to worry about any potential Lucas like interference in the Mass Effect setting. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 02:06:27 PM »

Yes, there isn't as much lore for Mass Effect.  Damn.  If only Bioware could employ some staff to make more lore...we could call them, oh I dunno...."writers". icon_razz

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »

the real question is will EA let them try their hand at more than one MMO.  considering the way they talk about The Old Republic and how many subscribers they think they;ll have I can see EA not wanting to dilute their offerings with another sci fi MMO.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »

Based on dragon age 2, I don't think bioware is at their best when they split their talent and efforts. 
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on April 11, 2011, 11:09:31 AM

Personally I'd prefer Star Wars.  But I'm on the minority as far as Mass Effect goes.  I loved ME1 and was disappointed with ME2 -- both because of changes in game mechanics, and because I didn't like the plot involving 80% running around picking up random crew members instead of advancing storyline.  The last 20% was very nifty though.

I'm just not sure how rich the Mass Effect universe is at this point.  Compared to LotR, Star Trek, or even Conan, Mass Effect doesn't yet have the kind of rich mythos that I enjoy in an MMO.

I agree with you, though I guess we're in the minority. Though I've only played ME1, but I didn't find the story as engaging as was led to believe. I also didn't really like the gameplay mechanics. The game tried to present a large galaxy through many sidequests, but in reality the game was very linear, moreso than most of their other games as there wasn't really much to the main story. Perhaps my perception is clouded by the fact that my PC couldn't run it optimally though. It really struggled even at the minimum settings, even after tweaking things through setting files. And yeah, I get that it was an original piece of work, but it wasn't all that either.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »

I'd play neither. Star wars looks awful and they are trying their damnest to dumb down ME and it's story.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 11, 2011, 07:49:32 PM

I'd play neither. Star wars looks awful and they are trying their damnest to dumb down ME and it's story.

I don't get that sentiment at all. I understand dumbing it down like with the inventory and stuff, but the story I thought was right in line with expectations. They created a complex world and while ME2's mission was simpler than ME1, they still presented complexities. My first thought there was Mordin and the justification for the genophage. That's a unique, morally difficult problem. Is it justified to genetically alter an entire race so that 999/1000 babies are still-born when the alternative would probably be total genocide? I also thought the choice in Legion's loyalty mission was a difficult one, as was the final choice in the final mission.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 11, 2011, 08:37:02 PM

I don't get that sentiment at all. I understand dumbing it down like with the inventory and stuff, but the story I thought was right in line with expectations. They created a complex world and while ME2's mission was simpler than ME1, they still presented complexities. My first thought there was Mordin and the justification for the genophage. That's a unique, morally difficult problem. Is it justified to genetically alter an entire race so that 999/1000 babies are still-born when the alternative would probably be total genocide? I also thought the choice in Legion's loyalty mission was a difficult one, as was the final choice in the final mission.

I'd say if anything they were guilty of dumbing down the gameplay, not the story, with the aerodynamicized skills and weapons, but it looks like they're going back towards ME1 somewhat for ME3 in terms of those portions.

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 11, 2011, 08:37:02 PM

Too me the difference between ME1 and ME2 in terms of story is that ME1 was like a novel and ME2 was like a anthology of short stories.  The short stories were set in the same universe, and had a small bit of connecting material because they were all related to your recruiting team members, but mostly they stood alone and didn't really have much relationship to each other.  In contrast ME1 was one continuous narrative.

In real books, I strongly prefer novels, although I occasionally do delve into short story collections (mostly because when I'm too busy to read a novel, short stories provide a nice sized chunk that I can actually take the time to read).  So perhaps its not surprising that I strongly preferred the ME1 story structure to the ME2 structure.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »

They're both great universes and I'd like to play in either of them as an MMO. Which one is going to be free 2 play? Oh wait they're published by EA so neither would be...hmm...guess I don't want either.  Roll Eyes
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 13, 2011, 06:04:52 PM

They're both great universes and I'd like to play in either of them as an MMO. Which one is going to be free 2 play? Oh wait they're published by EA so neither would be...hmm...guess I don't want either.  Roll Eyes

The only F2P MMO I have ever played that was as good as a subscription MMO is LOTRO and that is only because it used to be a subscription MMO.  I've tried a ton of these F2Ps and they just never are as good.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 12:05:28 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 13, 2011, 10:44:31 PM

Quote from: kronovan on April 13, 2011, 06:04:52 PM

The only F2P MMO I have ever played that was as good as a subscription MMO is LOTRO and that is only because it used to be a subscription MMO.  I've tried a ton of these F2Ps and they just never are as good.

World of Tanks is a great F2P game.  Although contrary to their claims and some coverage, it really isn't an MMO.  It's just released, although some of us have been playing in the Beta for months.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 03:47:21 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on April 12, 2011, 01:55:04 PM

Too me the difference between ME1 and ME2 in terms of story is that ME1 was like a novel and ME2 was like a anthology of short stories.  The short stories were set in the same universe, and had a small bit of connecting material because they were all related to your recruiting team members, but mostly they stood alone and didn't really have much relationship to each other.  In contrast ME1 was one continuous narrative.

In real books, I strongly prefer novels, although I occasionally do delve into short story collections (mostly because when I'm too busy to read a novel, short stories provide a nice sized chunk that I can actually take the time to read).  So perhaps its not surprising that I strongly preferred the ME1 story structure to the ME2 structure.

Got nothing really to add or argue about here. Just wanted to say that's well-described and totally understandable smile.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 04:31:12 AM »

For me, one of the biggest appeals of Mass Effect is the ability to make decisions that decisively change events and the state of the world (galaxy, whatever).  Since MMOs are generally set up to be static playgrounds, I just don't see the series translating well, at least not for me.

As for there being a lack of lore, what?!  Have you read the in-game encyclopedia?  There was practically a Silmarillion written for this universe!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 11, 2011, 09:23:48 AM

If they had started working on neither of them I wouldn't really have been sure what to answer. I love both settings.

But Bioware has indeed started making The Old Republic, and through it they have demonstrated that they don't respect the Star Wars setting in the slightest. Reading about that game feels like having Bioware spit in my face. It makes me angry just to think about it.

So my answer is Mass Effect. By far.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 15, 2011, 07:06:14 PM

If they had started working on neither of them I wouldn't really have been sure what to answer. I love both settings.

But Bioware has indeed started making The Old Republic, and through it they have demonstrated that they don't respect the Star Wars setting in the slightest. Reading about that game feels like having Bioware spit in my face. It makes me angry just to think about it.

How so?  I haven't been following TOR that closely.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »

They're totally ignoring Gungans.  It's horrible.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »

Quote from: Laner on April 15, 2011, 07:44:23 PM

Quote from: TiLT on April 15, 2011, 07:06:14 PM

How so?  I haven't been following TOR that closely.

There's a rich history covering the level of technology and the major events in the thousands of years before the movies, yet Bioware just decided to ignore all of that and invent their own. With "invent their own" in this case, I mean to say "take the situation, factions, ships and general technology from the movies and pretend they apply to a situation 3000 years earlier", despite tons of Star Wars lore directly contradicting this. Every time I see mention of the Empire or see TIE Fighters, X-Wings or Star Destroyers in the trailers, or see bounty hunters with top-notch, modern equipment (to name just a few examples out of many), I'm reminded that Bioware figured that completely fucking up the entire history of the Star Wars universe was less important than having something that was recognizable to those with no knowledge of the universe beyond the movies.

It's insulting to those of us who are the biggest fans of the setting and who have invested the most in reading about it. It's like someone deciding to make a game about the fall of Morgoth in the Lord of the Rings setting, but instead of using the rich lore that already exists decide to turn it into a story of how a group of hobbits defeated him by destroying a Ring of Power in some volcano or other while Morgoth's forces assault Minas Tirith. You'd see riots in the streets over that one.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 15, 2011, 08:08:16 PM

It's insulting to those of us who are the biggest fans of the setting and who have invested the most in reading about it. It's like someone deciding to make a game about the fall of Morgoth in the Lord of the Rings setting, but instead of using the rich lore that already exists decide to turn it into a story of how a group of hobbits defeated him by destroying a Ring of Power in some volcano or other while Morgoth's forces assault Minas Tirith. You'd see riots in the streets over that one.

Not to come across as rude, but in essence what you are saying is Bioware decided to make a game for the average Star Wars fan who doesn't care about the crap ton of books written by numerous different authors that flesh out the world.  Bioware is making a game to appeal to the largest possible audience, not the elitist ultra Star Wars fans.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 15, 2011, 10:06:18 PM

Quote from: TiLT on April 15, 2011, 08:08:16 PM

Not to come across as rude, but in essence what you are saying is Bioware decided to make a game for the average Star Wars fan who doesn't care about the crap ton of books written by numerous different authors that flesh out the world.  Bioware is making a game to appeal to the largest possible audience, not the elitist ultra Star Wars fans.

Yes, that is absolutely correct, and I don't deny that what they're doing may be commercially sound. It doesn't change a single part of my previous posts however.

Edit: I even point out exactly what you're saying in my previous post.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »

Personally, I don't get being offended by changes they've made, but to each his own, I guess.  I am a pretty big Star Wars nut, having read a lot of the books and such, but being that invested in the world such that I would be angry about what they've done is kind of a foreign idea to me.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 03:25:35 AM »

the truth of the matter is there is no way they could put out an mmo as restricted in focus as what Tilt is talking about.  It just wouldnt sell. It might work for a single player game but definitely not for an MMO.
 The thing that made WoW such a great selling game was they understood that they needed broad appeal. The people at Bioware are smart enough to see this.  Is Bioware getting a bit loose with the canon of StarWars?  Yes, they are.  They want to provide a general and familiar setting where people can play the characters they want.  They either needed to place the setting in a past era ( in regards to the movie timelines ) or a future era, in order to accomplish this because I guarantee you that they were not going to be allowed to take those kind of liberties within the movie timeline.  Some mistakes are not meant to be repeated.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 06:45:42 AM »

Kotor worked pretty well, and didn't feature Tie-fighthers  or any other era discordiant things that I noticed at least.

A new one
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 16, 2011, 06:45:42 AM

Kotor worked pretty well, and didn't feature Tie-fighthers  or any other era discordiant things that I noticed at least.

I haven't been paying much attention to what they've shown of TOR.  Are there really TIE Fighters in it or are there things that sort of resemble them but look old-fashioned, like what Lucas did with the prequel movies?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 02:10:33 PM »

I don't know, first time I saw the space fighters in KotOR I thought to myself 'hey look, it's the tie-fighter's great great grandpa!': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36SvnY4YEk (end game space battle, but if your a Star Wars fan you'll have seen it by now).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:12:16 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 16, 2011, 02:03:24 PM

I haven't been paying much attention to what they've shown of TOR.  Are there really TIE Fighters in it or are there things that sort of resemble them but look old-fashioned, like what Lucas did with the prequel movies?

As far as I can recall, there are obvious Star Destroyers, TIE Fighters and X-Wings (not the exact models from the movies, but close enough that it doesn't really matter) in at least one of the trailers, as well as what pretty much amounts to stormtroopers. I remember when I first watched the ending sequence in Attack of the Clones. It gave me chills because I knew that this was the first time that the Republic fielded Star Destroyers and stormtroopers, and I knew what that would mean. Bioware didn't care.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 16, 2011, 02:10:33 PM

I don't know, first time I saw the space fighters in KotOR I thought to myself 'hey look, it's the tie-fighter's great great grandpa!': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36SvnY4YEk (end game space battle, but if your a Star Wars fan you'll have seen it by now).

Now there's a good example! The stuff in that video bends continuity a bit, but it's not so bad that I froth at the mouth over it. You can definitely see the influence from Star Destroyers, TIE Fighters, B-Wings and... well, Z-95 Headhunters I guess... in that clip, but they are so far removed from the later design that I can live with it, as long as they don't flaunt it too much.

What I saw in the Old Republic trailers is way, WAY worse.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 16, 2011, 02:15:12 PM

Now there's a good example! The stuff in that video bends continuity a bit, but it's not so bad that I froth at the mouth over it. You can definitely see the influence from Star Destroyers, TIE Fighters, B-Wings and... well, Z-95 Headhunters I guess... in that clip, but they are so far removed from the later design that I can live with it, as long as they don't flaunt it too much.

I agree the SWTOR stuff does not look particularly archaic compared to Episodes I-VI.  However, if you really think about it the whole existence of "The Old Republic" makes no sense at all.  In order for TOR to have existed 1000s of years before Episodes I-VI and still have space travel and such, the whole TOR universe must have completely stagnated from a technological standpoint.  Think about our timeline, for example, where do you think we'll be in several 1000 years?  If TOR really is pre-episodes I-VI it should look nothing at all like Star Wars, they should be running around with horses and bows and arrows (well, not quite, but you get the idea, the technology base should look considerably different, maybe gas combustion engines and ground transportation with wheels).

The only ways I can see TOR actually being 1000s of years before and the tech level not being all that different from Episodes I-VI are (1) some kind of apocalyptic scenario where all knowledge was lost or (2) a religion or autocratic government in which technological advancement is forbidden.

TOR is really just an excuse to allow Bioware to have their own timeline, and in the case of SWTOR it's an excuse to have a reason why there are lots of Jedi and Sith around which is something they couldn't do in the Episodes I-VI timeline.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »

Technological advancement isn't a guarantee, especially not in fantasy worlds. Lets not get bogged down in too much realism - if you open that pandora's box, there is nothing in the Star wars universe that makes much sense.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on April 16, 2011, 02:46:20 PM

Quote from: TiLT on April 16, 2011, 02:15:12 PM

Kotor worked pretty well, and didn't feature Tie-fighthers  or any other era discordiant things that I noticed at least.

I agree the SWTOR stuff does not look particularly archaic compared to Episodes I-VI.  However, if you really think about it the whole existence of "The Old Republic" makes no sense at all.  In order for TOR to have existed 1000s of years before Episodes I-VI and still have space travel and such, the whole TOR universe must have completely stagnated from a technological standpoint.  Think about our timeline, for example, where do you think we'll be in several 1000 years?  If TOR really is pre-episodes I-VI it should look nothing at all like Star Wars, they should be running around with horses and bows and arrows (well, not quite, but you get the idea, the technology base should look considerably different, maybe gas combustion engines and ground transportation with wheels).

The only ways I can see TOR actually being 1000s of years before and the tech level not being all that different from Episodes I-VI are (1) some kind of apocalyptic scenario where all knowledge was lost or (2) a religion or autocratic government in which technological advancement is forbidden.

TOR is really just an excuse to allow Bioware to have their own timeline, and in the case of SWTOR it's an excuse to have a reason why there are lots of Jedi and Sith around which is something they couldn't do in the Episodes I-VI timeline.

You really should read some Tales of the Jedi. slywink

There was technological progress in the thousands of years before the movies. For example, 4000 years before the movies hyperspace travel was severely restricted and usually required days of manual calculations before making small, dangerous jumps to midway stations, and then repeating the process. Safe and precalculated hyperspace routes were worth a fortune. While there was space travel, most people lived in what was nearly a medieval level of technology. Lightsabers had to be attached through a cable to a powerpack the Jedi carried on their backs because of its size. Melee weapons were common. And so on...

In the Star Wars universe the majority of technological innovation happened in wartime. During times of peace, the Republic did indeed stagnate. The greatest technological leaps were made during Palpatine's reign, ironically. Some of that because certain companies (like Incom Corporation, which defected to the rebels with their brand new X-Wing design) had strong motivation to crush the Empire. Even close to the Empire's rise, starships still had to make hyperspace jumps between small, unmanned space stations set at regular intervals with hyperspace data required for the next jump, and hyperspace engines were still too large to mount on starfighters (the X-Wing was the first mass-producted starfighter with hyperspace capabilities, while the TIE Advanced represented the same leap for the Empire)

When it comes to your comment about the amount of Jedi, Bioware doesn't need to change the setting to do that. All they needed was to invent a new, grand Sith war (which they did), and the whole thing would sort itself out. The Jedi council was large and powerful even at that time. Instead they went overboard and changed everything.

Star Wars has never operated in the same way as our own world. There's sound in space, for one thing. Even at the end of the movies, they still don't have the same level of technology in some areas that we have. This is after thousands of years of space travel. Applying our own science to that setting isn't really advisable.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:03:42 PM by TiLT » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »

LOL, I clicked ont he Old Republic thread and started to wonder where the hell this conversation disappeared to  icon_lol
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:06:57 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »

I would much rather play an ME MMO. I'm hoping they work out all of their developmental growing pains on the Star Wars game so when the do make an ME game, it will be that much better.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: