http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:41:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best WoW solo class  (Read 7656 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2004, 03:08:45 AM »

Quote from: "olaf"
I see Hunters plowing through mobs 3 levels about them.  Pet tanks and never loses aggro...

Yikes.  That's bad.  Maybe cutting damage back a bit and updating the pet's taunt would fix it.

Paladins are going to be tough to balance.

Agreed, though I don't know what they're overpowered in comparison to.  If you mean in comparison to Warriors, that's less of the Paladins' fault and more of the fact that Warriors are gimped and just not fun to play (imo) atm.

Shamans...maybe they wont be hit so hard.  It seems strange that they get mail though, on top of their already extremely versatile spell and totem loadout.

Shamen will get hit just as hard as Paladins, I'd bet.  Being side-specific classes, expect one nerf to have a counterpart on the other class.

Warlocks are another tough call.  I am not sure what I would change to bring them up to speed, but they need a little something.

I don't know either.  I think one thing that would help is to revamp the way their "demonic" pets like the Infernal work.  Right now it's just stupidly weak.  I like the idea of there being a chance for the summoned Infernal / Death Knight to "betray" its master on summoning and go berserk on the party, but I don't like the idea that it will inevitably go berserk--it just needs to be a chance.  If it doesn't go berserk on summoning, it's totally loyal just like any pet.  And for Christ's sake, let 'em summon the damn Infernals inside!  Just make it so the "fall from the sky and stun" effect is removed if cast indoors.

On top of the removal of Inner Rage and the change to taunt it makes it extremely difficult to tank effectively in level-appropriate instances.
Horde is harder to level than Alliance, that's just a fact of the game.  As for these complains, I agree completely--they really tick me off.   Why this "new taunt" system?  Give Warriors a "lasso" taunt like Taunt currently is, but also give them a set-hate-value Taunt like it used to be.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2004, 04:39:53 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "olaf"
I see Hunters plowing through mobs 3 levels about them.  Pet tanks and never loses aggro...

Yikes.  That's bad.  Maybe cutting damage back a bit and updating the pet's taunt would fix it.

And here's the whole issue about the Hunter - if the pet is unable to hold aggro, the Hunter is utterly useless, as the class is all about ranged attacks.

And later on in life, attacking +3 mobs isn't the wisest of choices. At 32, yes, I can take on 35 mobs, but my pet takes a ton of damage (almost needing a heal to keep standing), and I waste a lot of arrows as I keep missing. I can cut through +1 and below mobs like a hot knife through butter, and I can take on +2 mobs with relative ease (but still missing nearly half my shots). And I can take on multiple +1 and +2 mobs without too much trouble.

Balancing the Hunter is gonna be tough. Remove the pet's ability to hold aggro and you break the class. Period. Mess with damage too much in general, and the class is broken.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2004, 12:21:53 PM »

At the very end of beta (after warriors got their "awesome changes" and hunters got their talents) I was fighting undead up in the Eastern Plaguelands with my 51st level warrior. These undead range from 50-52 if i recall. They were melee and pretty tough for my warrior (who was decked out pretty well and using a mortal strike/fury build with a slow 2-handed axe.

I could take one at a time without too much a problem. If I got two, I might live or die, depending on how much I whiffed.

A 50th hunter showed up and started killing the same creatures. After a little bit, he sent his pet in to attack one and two more agroed unexpectedly. He took all 3 down and was never in jeoprody of dying. His pet was hurt pretty bad (some type of corba snake), but he was healed back up and ready to go quickly.

I just shook my head and sighed. Warriors fell so far, in terms of solo performance, after the massive nerfs they got. Then I shrugged it off and grouped with the hunter and we tore through the undead like there was no tomorrow.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2004, 03:32:45 PM »

OK.  After I figured out the proper use of divine protection / lay on hands, things got a little better.  And after a very nice person in AH gave me a crafted 2-handed maul, things got much better.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2004, 03:39:27 PM »

What are the whisperwind stats? As in players?

how many people are in AH? I think the wanderers are coming up on 200 now.

Oh, and what the the absolute least played class for Alliance and Horde (one whisperwind)? I assume this is fairly easy to get with cosmos or something.

Just Hiro will do.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2004, 04:05:18 PM »

I don't know of any sites or programs that give you stats on classes/races on each server.  Visually, I would say the least played classes for the Alliance are Priests, Warriors, Warlocks, and Mages... in that order.  Again, this is just from my visual standpoint.  Paladins and Hunters are the most played.

We (Almost Heroes) are a small guild compared to The Wanderers.  Im not sure how many ACTIVE members we have.  I can say there are between 5-20 of us in-game at a time throughout the day.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2004, 04:11:21 PM »

Every single time I play there is someone (normally at least 5 as Torfish says) from AH online.

This morning about 1:30AM EST., it was only me, Semanj & Orgull.  I should have taken that as a clue an gone to bed though.

Wake up.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2004, 06:26:48 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Remove the pet's ability to hold aggro and you break the class. Period.
As long as Warriors have the atrocious aggro-holding problem, all other aggro-holding techniques need to follow the max+1 idiocy, including Hunters.

Maybe then when the statistical majority of the playerbase is bitching at Blizzard for ruining their class, we'll see a change back in the right direction.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2004, 06:28:16 PM »

Hell, I would have been online with the rest of the AH bunch but my cable connection is hosed again.  

I've pretty much solo'd (outside of instances of course ) a Night Elf Priest up to level 25, and had a blast doing so.  I've always got groups asking me to join them, which indicates how useful and rare Priests are.   As far as talent points, you could probably focus on shadow early to help with the soloing.   It's not required, but at least having the Spirit Tap skill maxed out  helps so that when you kill a mob, your spirit is doubled for a short time which helps your mana regeneration.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2004, 06:48:13 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Oh, and what the the absolute least played class for Alliance and Horde (one whisperwind)? I assume this is fairly easy to get with cosmos or something.

While I don't have official numbers, from playing on both sides til the mid-twenties, doing several instance runs, reading Cosmos statistics and the official forums, I've got the following hierarchy:

In order of least played to most...

Alliance:

-Priests
-Warriors
-Druids
-Warlocks
-Mages
-Rogues
-Paladins
-Hunters

Horde:

-Priests
-Druids
-Mages
-Warlocks
-Warriors
-Rogues
-Shamen
-Hunters

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2004, 06:54:48 PM »

I don't think hunters are over powered.  I think they are one of the more fun classes to play.  The ability to tame wide varieties of Pets and name your pet is quite a draw.  Nerfing a class that a large portion of your player base plays simply because many people play the class may not be a good idea.

I would concur that they need to buff up warriors to make them more viable.

As an aside:  For what it's worth I play on a RP server(Argent Dawn) on the horde side because some RL friends wanted to start a guild there.  They did not want to RP as much as avoid asshats.  The assumption was that there would be more mature players on a RP server.  I myself have played on Argent Dawn for the last week and encountered no overtly gay people(or much role playing for that matter).

My hunter has a great love for sheep especially in the level 3 phase of pet loyalty but that is another thing entirely.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2004, 07:28:35 PM »

submissive?  oh my. :oops:
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2004, 08:25:05 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
While I don't have official numbers, from playing on both sides til the mid-twenties, doing several instance runs, reading Cosmos statistics and the official forums, I've got the following hierarchy:

In order of least played to most...

Alliance:

-Priests
-Warriors
-Warlocks
-Mages
-Rogues
-Paladins
-Hunters

Horde:

-Priests
-Mages
-Warlocks
-Warriors
-Rogues
-Shamen
-Hunters

Man, us Druids are so unpopular that we don't even get on the list :p

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2004, 08:44:23 PM »

Quote from: "Elenkis"
Man, us Druids are so unpopular that we don't even get on the list :p
Crap, I knew I forgot something...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2004, 09:53:30 PM »

The class concept for hunters, and how Blizz executed that concept in game, makes for a very fun class.  If they weren’t the most popular I’d be very surprised.  What’s not to like about being able to solo very well, grabbing pretty much any beast type pet you want, being able to dish out good damage, and naming and developing your pets.  I think blizz did a great job following through on the concept for hunters.  On the other hand, warlocks should be a blast to play based on the concept, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.  Based on concept alone, I would’ve thought warlocks would be one of the more popular classes.  I play a druid, and they’re a tremendously fun and flexible class, but seem to be one of the least popular (racial restrictions could be partly responsible for the lower popularity).
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2004, 11:37:17 PM »

My guess is the lack of druids is due in large part to the racial restrictions(as Roguetad surmised).  I know I wanted to play one but since I am playing horde with some friends and I don't like Tauren's(personal preference) I opted out.  I think they should open up druids to another race per side but I doubt that will happen.
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2004, 05:54:56 AM »

Druids have a very tough time past level 40-45 and they're generally viewed as the weakest class overall.  However they're supposed to be getting a lot of love in the next patch.

I find the flexibility fun but to others it's a big turn off... If you want to heal then Priests are superior (and they do better ranged damage too), and you're not going to match a warrior or rogue for fighting. So a lot of people don't really see the point in them.

While being a "jack of all trades" is no problem early on, it really hurts you in the high level game. The forms start getting pretty useless (especially Bear), soloing becomes very rough and you won't heal well enough to be much use to a high level group.

The good thing is that you get to feel special being one of only about three Druids playing on the server (I only play on PvP servers where according to cosmos census Druid is by far the least played class, I imagine there'd be more on PvE though) slywink

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2004, 06:28:41 AM »

I play a warlock and love it.  I have a great time.  It's true though, that if I get in combat with multiple bad guys, I'm in trouble.  2 I can get out of.  3 is almost certain death.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2004, 02:32:49 PM »

I'm still playing a hunter and I have not had a time where I "had" to group to keep going.  WoW seems to be the most solo friendly MMOG I've played.  I did have some trouble with my paladin at lower levels but got past those as well.

I have noticed the loot drops are much better when grouped though.  I killed creatures for hours and got nothing...grouped with another hunter and a rogue (they needed my help, both new players) and got 2 nice leather kits within 10 minutes.  Both were lower level than me and the kits were nicer than anything I could buy at the time in that area.  Of course I lost both rolls.
Semaj

View Profile
hrm
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2004, 05:43:11 PM »

What you kill determines what drops as much as anyting... Maybe you fight unfriendly drop creatures....

Paladins are all about the seals, they raise your damage output immensely...   They are incredibly versatile, but the only way to hold agro is to do massive damage, which means when your missing like nobody's buisiness, someone else holds down agro for you, usually that poor rogue smile
Pallies have no real snare/root and god forbid they get a distance attack...  So No, they arnt perfect, which is why I expect the nerf bat to not kill them like everyone thinks it will.  

I will be starting a hunter, and a Rogue later.. because well, soemone has to... and maybe a Priest becasue when you just need a group, be a priest...

I grinded more or less a large chunk of my way to 41...(ITs literally All I have done since about 28...)  and it's kind of wearing me down.  I thin soloing is great when no one else is around but sometimes you need someone else there to share your great and horrible moments with.

I think the ideal situation is 1 other person, you guys spamming out serious quests all in the same area, turning them in and moving on.  Elite quets can be saved for weekends when everyone is free and blammo, you have a partner in crime, everyone groups every now and then and sanity is saved smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2004, 07:08:27 PM »

I hate grinding because it gets so tedious. I'm 27 at the moment and haven't grinded (ground?) once. If I run out of quests I just go somewhere else for more. If I get sick of that, I do some crafting or fishing, or wading through AH lag.

I've probably put in as much time as people nearing 40, but I like to play in short stints and not always killing. Keeps me sane.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2004, 07:33:29 PM »

I've only been doing quests and helping others in a few instances, and even with a total of a week and a half with connection problems, my priest is sitting at level 25.  No grinding.  

Grinding is what killed my interest in SWG.  That, and a realization that it's a shitty game anyhow.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: