http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best WoW solo class  (Read 7345 times)
SuperHiro
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2004, 06:30:58 AM »

I need to know. I'm assuming that I will solo a LOT.  So I need to know what, hands down, is the best solo class. I need as much detail as humanly possible.  For the most part I plan to play an Orc.  

Oh, I've also done an absolutely ridiculous amount of research so right now it looks like Hunter, Rogue, or Shaman (with Rogue being a leader).

Thanks!

Just Hiro will do.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 07:38:23 AM »

those are also the 3 most common classes so be prepared to not feel so original. all classes are very soloable. even the priest. be what you like.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 12:05:14 PM »

Yeah, the priest I started last night was actually soloing incredibly well.  By level 8, he'd only died once, and that was because I was lazy on my way out of a cave, trained about 15 spiders behind me, and then got hung up on a wall and they ate me.  biggrin

I've also found my warlock to be very soloable.  They're pet classes, and they've got a well-rounded spell selection including damage and healing in the form of sucking life off mobs.  They're also not as popular as hunters and such, which is a plus for me.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 12:56:21 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
I need to know. I'm assuming that I will solo a LOT.  So I need to know what, hands down, is the best solo class. I need as much detail as humanly possible.  For the most part I plan to play an Orc.  

Oh, I've also done an absolutely ridiculous amount of research so right now it looks like Hunter, Rogue, or Shaman (with Rogue being a leader).

Its a rough choice I think.

Most classes can sustain a pretty good "grind" (bleh! I hate that word) on greens which are i believe, the best exps you can get (i.e. you do not gain enough additional experience doing yellows/oranges to make up for the additional downtime). So technically all classes are pretty much even in that department.

I think the hunter gets the nod for taking out multiple critters around the same level with the least amout of downtime. This is based more on observation than playing however. They also seem a tad faster at taking stuff down than rogues and a bit more quicker than shamans.

Rogues get the nod for item farming. They can sneak in, find the special/boss mobs that drop the good treasure, kill them, and retreat. They can reach a lot more places than the other classes can.  

Hunters and shaman have decent travel spells, so that gives them a slight advantage over a rogue. Because, when soloing, often location is important. So the speed in traveling between locations is something to consider.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 02:12:55 PM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"
those are also the 3 most common classes so be prepared to not feel so original.

that's what I was afraid of.  What would be the least common class on whisperwind?

Just Hiro will do.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 02:14:15 PM »

I haven't had any trouble at all soloing with my hunter.  Once you get a pet you can take on mobs 3 or even 4 levels higher.  

I may start an alt Rogue though, as they seem to be a pretty fun class as well.

Go Gunners...
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 02:40:25 PM »

I currently have 2 hunters (different servers and races) and I have no problems going solo at all once I got my pet.  I took my first elite mob last night with just my pet and never went below half health...while other classes around the same levels left their scattered bones around smile  I've been in a total of 2 groups and got so pissed at one I left early because one person won every roll for high level armor kits even though I was doing 75% of the killing and they couldn't even use the armor.  When I'm the workhorse of the group then throw me something instead of taking all of the kits to sell to buy damn spider legs an hour later (cause they're too lazy to kill the damn spiders themselves...and I'm sorry I'm rambling...I'll stop now).

I think I am going to try a shaman next though...I miss the magic and they also get a pet.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 03:00:09 PM »

Rogues are a great solo class, provided you know their limitations. If fighting 1 on 1 and getting the jump on the mob (stealth and ambush/garrote/whatever), I can often get the mob down to under 50% of his health before he even swings.

However, rogues have absolutely no way of dealing with more than one mob at a time in combat, so if you get jumped by two or more, it's often best just to high-tail it out and come back.

And if playing a stealth rogue, you'll get your kills stolen A LOT, since it takes a while to sneak up and behind an enemy, whereas a hunter or mage can just initiate attack quickly and from afar. Often when killing in a crowded area, it's better to just range attack (I use a gun), and then gouge/backstab, etc.

Anyways, rogues are a ridiculously fun class to play. They deal damage quicker than any other class, and as long as you don't get swarmed, you'll feel real badass  :wink:
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 03:23:33 PM »

And if playing a stealth rogue, you'll get your kills stolen A LOT, since it takes a while to sneak up and behind an enemy, whereas a hunter or mage can just initiate attack quickly and from afar. Often when killing in a crowded area, it's better to just range attack (I use a gun), and then gouge/backstab, etc.

So true.  I play an assassin type rogue, so I have to use stealth to get my best damage attacks off.  It happens all the time, I am stealthed right behind an enemy, hit the attack button a split second after it is tagged by someone else.  Grrr.  Takes so much time to set up stealth rogue attacks.  There are benefits to stealth though.  I can usually sneak right by enemies I don't want or need to fight to get to the good stuff  slywink

PvP, however, can be extremely frustrating.  On a PvP server, I LOVED being a rogue, for obvious reasons.  On a PvE server, it drives me insane.  This is because I cannot just sneak behind someone and attack, I have to select someone who's flagged. Thing is no one is flagged unless there is a big fight.  And big fights mean big lag.  Big lag cripples a stealth rogue.  My hope now lies with the promised battlegrounds.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 04:41:18 PM »

Hunter by far, from my experience. Why?

You know how most people say to grind on -1 and -2 mobs for lots of experience with no downtime? I can grind on same, +1, and +2 mobs with no downtime. My cat and I absolutely slaughter the opposition.

Getting a group slows me down. Just find an empty spot (easier on the quieter servers and if you visit the out of the way places), and go nuts. Bonus points if you find quests associated with what you're killing, too.

The only thing that stops me are my loot bags either filling up, or I run out of arrows (after about two hours of non-stop killing at level 31).

My 'best' series of kills was taking on four mobs, one after another (so I was either in a solo or duo fight constantly), without stopping (adds throughout the whole fight), and without either my pet or I getting killed. It took everything I had to do it, but I did it.

Show me another class that can take on 4 mobs without even a second's break between battles (the same level as you, too), and get away with a victory.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 04:55:24 PM »

You're in for an awesome ride, SuperHiro.  I'm completely addicted to this game and love every minute of it.

Every class can solo in WoW.  Just read about each class and pick the one you think will be the most fun.  You WILL NOT be at any disadvantage depending on your class choice.  

We have an Alliance guild on Whisperwind that you are welcome to join, called Almost Heroes.  It is great fun.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 04:55:37 PM »

*cough* Paladin *cough* sorry had something in my throat

Ascendent
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 04:56:43 PM »

When I was created my char for City of Heroes, I looked at the (Gone Gold) guild roster, found the least common class, and used the least common powerset for the class.  So I ended up being a Force Field Defender, which by and large I found to be quite enjoyable.  I could contribute damage wise and I had some of the greatest defense buffs the game had.  I was never lacking for groups (up until the great guild dry-out of August '04).  So I wouldn't mind using that logic again... so I guess priest is in the mix but hot damn I hate robes.  

I've been giving Hunter a good long look.  In all liklihood I'll spend my talents emphasizing melee combat though, which would be poor.  On the other hand having a pet is really fun.  Christ.  

From what I see, Warrior is the least common class (I think anyway). Plate is very appealing, but once again I'll do hardcore offense (probably beef up the Arms talent with a few points in the other branches).  So given my desire to go offense I think rogue may be best.

Just Hiro will do.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 05:00:43 PM »

Quote from: "ericb"
I currently have 2 hunters (different servers and races) and I have no problems going solo at all once I got my pet.  I took my first elite mob last night with just my pet and never went below half health...while other classes around the same levels left their scattered bones around smile  I've been in a total of 2 groups and got so pissed at one I left early because one person won every roll for high level armor kits even though I was doing 75% of the killing and they couldn't even use the armor.  When I'm the workhorse of the group then throw me something instead of taking all of the kits to sell to buy damn spider legs an hour later (cause they're too lazy to kill the damn spiders themselves...and I'm sorry I'm rambling...I'll stop now).

I think I am going to try a shaman next though...I miss the magic and they also get a pet.

Hey, ericb!  my old EQ2 question/answer guy!  Glad to see you've come over to the dark side.  happy that i'm not the only WoW convert from EQ2.  unless you're still playing EQ2 AND WoW, in which case I would have to assume that you're probably taking as many sick days and vacation time as you can right now  biggrin

what pet does the shaman get, by the way?  i know they get the ability to shape shift into a ghostrunner, but i didn't realize they got a pet.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 05:48:11 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
*cough* Paladin *cough* sorry had something in my throat

A Paladin in your throat?  Too much information...
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 05:48:20 PM »

I've been giving Hunter a good long look.  In all liklihood I'll spend my talents emphasizing melee combat though, which would be poor.  On the other hand having a pet is really fun.    

A hunter with a melee emphasis would be different from the 90% of us Hunters who are just pouring all their talent points into Marksmanship.   Tongue

I love ranged classes, and the hunter is a blast.  Useful in groups because you can plug away with your gun OR fight melee (as long as you don't get too much aggro).  Very powerful solo, particularly with a good pet to hold aggro.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 06:07:02 PM »

Blah! was trying to be subtle and include Paladins in the good soloing class. I've solo'd my way up to 39. I've grouped maybe on 3-4 occausions total and they were for instance missions.  Anyways just something to think about.

Ascendent
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 06:28:32 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
Quote from: "ericb"

Hey, ericb!  my old EQ2 question/answer guy!  Glad to see you've come over to the dark side.  happy that i'm not the only WoW convert from EQ2.  unless you're still playing EQ2 AND WoW, in which case I would have to assume that you're probably taking as many sick days and vacation time as you can right now  biggrin

what pet does the shaman get, by the way?  i know they get the ability to shape shift into a ghostrunner, but i didn't realize they got a pet.

No, I'm not playing both right now.  The combination of the huge f**kup SOE did with crafting and lack of major bug fixes caused me to take a break for a couple months.  I still love EQ2 and plan on going back...but I have no problems with playing WoW (which is currently better polished and more fun) for the next couple months smile

I don't know about the Shaman pets except they are summoned I believe using totems.  I'll know in a couple days after I start playing one.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 06:30:57 PM »

I'm having a good time soloing with my Warlock.  After level 10, you get a Voidwalker which is like having your own personal tanker.  He draws aggro and I just sit back and throw spells.  The warlock IS a bit fragile though, and if you get involved in multiple combats, you can get in trouble in a hurry.  Fear helps this by sending away extra attackers for a bit.

He's great fun to play.   Works well in a group, too.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2004, 06:33:52 PM »

I don't know about the Shaman pets except they are summoned I believe using totems. I'll know in a couple days after I start playing one

i've played a troll shaman up to lvl 7 and i think the only thing that comes close to a pet is the shaman totems you summon to do things like area heals and fireball spells.  i don't think they actually allow for a pet, per se.  but i could be wrong.

P.S. just for kicks, create an undead character and travel through undercity and surrounding areas.  it's just utterly cool as hell.  blizzard really outdid themselves on that zone.  i created an undead mage just to check it out and i'm already lvl 12 with him.  i just can't draw myself away from the quests in that area.  :shock:

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2004, 06:59:09 PM »

I've noticed the areas in this game have a very dark tint to them. I always feel relieved when I head to Loch Modan because it seems like a "happy zone". I definitely like the overall approach though, even if it isn't completely carebear friendly  smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2004, 07:08:26 PM »

Quote from: "Exodor"
I've been giving Hunter a good long look.  In all liklihood I'll spend my talents emphasizing melee combat though, which would be poor.  On the other hand having a pet is really fun.    

A hunter with a melee emphasis would be different from the 90% of us Hunters who are just pouring all their talent points into Marksmanship.   Tongue

No offense, but making a Hunter who goes Melee is like making a Warrior who uses a dagger as his main weapon. Yes, it can be done, but your class isn't designed to work that way.

The Hunter is designed to have just enough Melee power to get into combat and survive it. He can off-tank something while shooting arrows at the primary target for a while, but he's not meant to get down and dirty in melee combat.

Case in point - at level 31, I have two 18 DPS melee axes (bonuses to Agi on both for my ranged skills). In comparison, I have a 16 DPS bow (Harpy Bow or something). Even with my pet tanking all the time (so the mob can't dodge/parry my blows), I can kill a mob far faster with my bow than I can melee.

Why? All my damaging powers are ranged based.

I'm not telling you how to play your game though, so if you want to be a melee Hunter, go right ahead. I'm just saying that they make a far better ranged class. That's why they have a pet that can tank.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2004, 07:16:37 PM »

Well, I got frustrated with some CS issues and major bugs with EQ2 and have caved into the darkside.  I have a hunter who is now lvl 19.  My best solo moment so far was taking on a lvl 21 elite mob and winning to finish off a quest.  I am very impressed with the hunter so far... I am going heavily into beast mastery talents, so far I have increased my pets HP by 10% and thier focus by 20%.  Next I intend on upping thier damage.  It may not be the most effective build but I am loving it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2004, 07:44:30 PM »

Soloing really isn't that hard in WoW with any class.  Except maybe the Warrior (I've been playing one recently and I'm just dismayed at how weak they are overall).

That being said, the Hunter is probably the class that kills fastest and survives longest solo, thanks to the pet.  Just don't spec melee--it's the weakest thing about the class.  Keep to the ranged weapons.

Rogues are interesting soloers.  They can do some quests, like assassination or object interaction missions, easier because they can sneak by fodder mobs and get right to the juicy target.  They also kill things very quickly, assuming conditions are in your favor.  A Rogue that gets jumped, however, is generally a dead Rogue, unless you're of higher level with some of the fancier tricks.

Shamen can solo fine, but it's a very 'different' playstyle.  Plus most people will tell you Shamen are in line for a nerf soon.

I've been playing a Mage for awhile and I solo great.  I can survive for a long time with my Roots, Snares, and Polymorphs, plus I can do a ton of damage with Fire and Arcane spells.

Not that I'm suggesting you play a Mage, but if you're into soloing for the long run, consider both damage output and survivability.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2004, 08:17:23 PM »

I'm speaking as someone whose knowledge of all things hunter are from reading talent calculators and digging through the big pile of shit that is the blizzard forums, looking for the tasty bits of corn/information.

So I can't number crunch... but I think it's possible to have a competent melee hunter.  I'm not saying I'll abandon all ranged (I'll probably throw some points towards aspect of the hawk or something)... but I fully intend to spend most of my time in melee besides my pet.  I don't know whether to dual wield or not... but I'm thinking just use a two hand weapon.  I'm looking at the Survival Talent Tree and I see a whole lot of stuff that boosts dodge/parry/deflection or whatever.  And Counterattack looks to be a cherry on top of all that stuff.  Now given, I'll likely want a good strong pet that can also mix it up (whether big damage or big tank I don't know)... and if that pet bites the bullet then I'm outta there.  I mean, you can just wing clip somebody then just wail on them.  Plus it means I have to use aspect of the monkey... AND I LOVE MONKEYS.

Maybe this should be in the hunter thread.  I'm just thinking it's possible.

Just Hiro will do.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2004, 08:39:16 PM »

shaman do not get pets. ever.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

Druids are great solo.  They are very flexible, which makes them well suited for soloing.  You could focus on being a ranged/caster, a healer, or better at the feral forms (or any combination of those 3).  But no matter how you spend talent points, druids imo are excellent soloists.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 09:48:35 PM »

Well, since nobody has said it yet, let me just add that priests are great soloers.  *snicker*

Although I'm holding my own when soloing just fine.  If you do want to solo a priest, I'd recommend focusing on the damage-dealing (Shadow) skills, you will end up kind of like a mage in the end -- but with healing spells!
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 11:20:28 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
No offense, but making a Hunter who goes Melee is like making a Warrior who uses a dagger as his main weapon. Yes, it can be done, but your class isn't designed to work that way.

Hey, don't be hating on the dagger-wielding Warriors!!!  My housemate (30th lvl Warrior) uses two daggers and has a very good reason:  they attack insanely fast and build up the Rage very quickly.  I was skeptical at first, but after watching him in fights I have to say I'm a believer.  It also helps to have two rare daggers that do plenty of damage. Tongue
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 11:35:19 PM »

I've played almost every class from alpha onwards...

I have to say, if you want to solo in on a PvE server, the absolute best bet is the hunter. You do amazing ranged damage, plus you get a pet tank that is the same level you are. You can take on sometimes up to 5 mobs at a time, just have your pet attack each one with growl then blast them from a distance. It's almost TOO easy to solo with a Hunter. I never played one of PvP, but I've heard they can be tough... players will ignore the pet and rush the hunter immediately.

On the other hand, the hardest is a Rogue. At least at first. Like someone said before, if more than one mob attacks you you're pretty much toast. In later levels, however, you can sneak in and sap one mob and kill the other... by the time you're done with the one you're fighting, you usually have enough time to go behind the sapped mob and start a combo with a backstab. At even later levels you get the "vanish" ability which lets you disappear instantly during combat, which allows you to get out of some very hairy situations.

Overall though, if you're on PvE and want an awesome solo class, Hunter is definately the way to go. It's so powerful, in fact, that I think it may be nerfed in an upcoming patch.
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2004, 01:46:59 AM »

I only have experience with my relatively low level Rogue, but if having Stealh Ability is something that appeals to you, it can make it great for soloing. And by soloing I mean both fighting mobs and doing quests. It's great sneaking into a cave past all these mobs that would aggro like crazy. Then I get right to the treasure/NPC/boss mob that I need, I take care of business with some quick slicing and dicing, and then I sneak out.

I can't wait to get some of the higher level thief abilities (vanish! blind!) to increase my escape options.

Huner does sound cool though. For my next character I think that's what I'll try.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2004, 03:29:49 PM »

I have my Rogue up to level 31. He deals SO much damage it is freakin insane!
Ambush, backstab, eviserate....Damn.

No, it's not the strongest class (defense-wise), not even close. But that's what makes it fun. Stratey, stealth...the rogue clas in WoW plays like none other that I've seen or heard of in an MMO.

Oh, vanish is an amazing, amazing tool. If used correctly you should have a hard time dyin'. I sure hope they don't nerf that somehow.
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2004, 03:54:16 PM »

OK,.. Ascendent knows who I am... I knwo hwo he is, odds are, we've grouped together more than most of you...

ANYWAYS

Lemme see if i can explain the Paladin "Grind"

Paladins have Mail armor (Until 40, then they get plate) and they do SERIOUS h-t damage.  Based on seals you can probably average a fair bit of damage to things your level and higher.  For isnatcne I can hit 100dps for multiple mobs at level 36, with the mobs being from 34-36...  Today in a bored momnet, I started timing my EXP per (section of time that changed based on my boredom levels)...  

I was averaging, solo, in an area where the lowest level mob was only 2 below me and most were 1 or my level, over 20k exp an hour.  which means off pure grind I'm getting a level every 3-4 hours for the elvels 34-38, in the area I was in.,.. I'm sure I could do better./worse based on other areas.

That ebing said Here is apaladin Grind: Find mob, hurtmob, if mob hits you enough, pause for 2 or 3 seconds between battles ot heal, find next mob, hurt mob, repeat procedure.  It got to the pouint I walked backwards into other mobs to chain them...  once ina  while (usually 3 on 1's or when I have too many and need to rid some inventory space, I might use a heal potion, but my mana usually refreshes fast enough I never need to pause for it.  Even if i did, I'd just go kill stuff without spam-chaining until the mana gets back up

I can take 3 on 1's and 4 on 1's and not use all my abilities (1 invunerability to everything, 1 invunerablity to physical attacks, Lay hands) and come out alive and sometimes with enough mana to continue on.  It really depends on how my Seal is treating me, 2 or 3 double hits in a row and I've already eliminated a guy in 10 seconds.  I miss a bunch and get no doubles, I'm havign to use an ability to keep up with 3 guys.

I watched the Hunter Solo video posted somewhere on here, and yes they are GREAT soloers.  Might have been more effective than a paladin in that situation... Heck it made me want to level one (next, I will hit 60 with my guy before the new years)...

but you cant count out a paladin as a great solo class, especially one thats not 10 levels of eq behind the times (That used to be me, lol)

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2004, 04:13:59 PM »

Yeah if you are coming from another MMO, you wont be going wrong with any WoW class as far as being able to solo.

That being said, there are some classes that do better than others at it, but I would caution against choosing those classes for that reason, as they are bound to get nerfed.  Hunters for sure will be nerfed, they are way too good right now.  Paladins also will get nerfed.  Shamans, I think are also overpowered.  Rogues I would call borderline overpowered.

The only real underpowered class I see still is Warlock.

olaf
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2004, 04:59:03 PM »

Quote from: "Biyobi"
Quote from: "Destructor"

Hey, don't be hating on the dagger-wielding Warriors!!!  My housemate (30th lvl Warrior) uses two daggers and has a very good reason:  they attack insanely fast and build up the Rage very quickly.  I was skeptical at first, but after watching him in fights I have to say I'm a believer.  It also helps to have two rare daggers that do plenty of damage. Tongue

Yep dueling daggers very effective espically when adding the Blacksmith sharpening stones that add 2-3 damage for 30 minutes.  You have a low damage/fast weapon and add 3 damage to it...yipes.

morlac00 on PSN
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2004, 05:23:27 PM »

I'm clearly doing something very wrong with my paladin (level 11).  I die all the time, feel like I'm in trouble if I'm fighting more than one or two equal-level opponents, and just feel like it goes very slowly.  I'm thinking I might retire her, because it just isn't fun.

My Tauren druid seems to be a lot easier to play, and my undead mage is just rocketing through the lower levels without grouping.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2004, 06:05:02 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Yeah if you are coming from another MMO, you wont be going wrong with any WoW class as far as being able to solo.

That being said, there are some classes that do better than others at it, but I would caution against choosing those classes for that reason, as they are bound to get nerfed.  Hunters for sure will be nerfed, they are way too good right now.  Paladins also will get nerfed.  Shamans, I think are also overpowered.  Rogues I would call borderline overpowered.

The only real underpowered class I see still is Warlock.

-Though I don't understand how Hunters are overpowered, I know the majority of the player base plays as one.  This alone means they're in for a nerf.

-I doubt the Paladin/Shaman nerf will be half as bad as the foaming-at-the-mouth nerdhorde on the WoW forums would lead us to believe.  I imagine the changes will beef up the Warrior more than they nerf the Paladin/Shaman.  At least, I hope they do.  If Blizzard balances the game by crippling Paladins/Shamen to the Warrior's level, they'll have four underpowered classes on their hands instead of just one if they'd beef the Warrior and only slightly nerf the Paladin/Shaman.

-Rogues will not be changed beyond the occasional "tweak."  Blizzard has already stated that they consider the class "complete."  I'm using the Rogue as a "measuring stick" for the other classes at the moment due to this statement.

-Warlocks are massively underpowered.  Now, I'm sure some WoW vet is going to materialize and explain to me just how wrong I am and how in Scholomance you must have a Warlock or the moon freezes over and crashes into the earth or how some FRAPS-captured video shows a level 10 Warlock killing five level 60s in a row and therefore proving that Warlocks are very useful, yes yes, very useful, but, from having the displeasure of playing one til 23-24 in stress test/beta, I've gotta say, Warlocks not only suck, both solo or grouped, they're boring and frustruating as hell to play.  

Sure, you can chain-fear/DoT something to death in PvP, but that's literally the only way you'll win.  And don't even get me started on how utterly obnoxious the "Soul Shard" mechanic is.  Not only do you have to collect these things, Blizzard decided to not allow them to be stackable so Warlocks wouldn't "hoard" them!  The sad thing is, the only way to play a dynamic Warlock IS to hoard these things!  Ugh.

-May as well throw Warriors into the underpowered pile too.  They're good at controlling aggro, yes.  That's it.

Warriors are probably the most solo-unfriendly class out there.  After playing one for 15 levels, I got fed up with the class and rolled up a Paladin--at least I have options in combat now, other than hoping that their little bar runs out before mine does.  Additionally, as a Warrior I was just getting shredded, even with decent armor for my level.

Playing a Warrior gives you the distinct impression that you're someone else's extra life.  This sentiment is echoed on the official Warrior boards -- Warriors are called "Life jackets," used to save another group member's, (usually a useful member, like a Priest, Mage, or Rogue's), life by sacrificing their own.  Sure, there are masochistic players who get a hard-on dreaming of dying over and over so the Rogue (who's actually killing the mob) doesn't get scratched, but jesus, I'm not one of them.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2004, 07:11:46 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Well, I got frustrated with some CS issues and major bugs with EQ2 and have caved into the darkside.  I have a hunter who is now lvl 19.  My best solo moment so far was taking on a lvl 21 elite mob and winning to finish off a quest.  I am very impressed with the hunter so far... I am going heavily into beast mastery talents, so far I have increased my pets HP by 10% and thier focus by 20%.  Next I intend on upping thier damage.  It may not be the most effective build but I am loving it.

The general concensus is that there's two ways to 'properly' 'build' your Hunter - either go Beast Mastery or whatever the spec is that has all the Ranged powers in it. Your pet is very powerful, as is your bow. Improving one or the other makes you that much more stronger in the end.

And Biyobi - LOL. Sorry, I was just trying to find some comparison, and that's the first thing that came to mind. Oddly enough, I was thinking of using a dagger on my Pally just to hold taunt better, but then I realized they couldn't use the weapon.

As far as nerfing goes... There's some saying that the Hunter is balanced as far as power goes. Remember this - you need to feed/level your pet, which takes time and inventory space. Your main method of attack (the bow) requires ammo, which starts to get expensive at the higher levels (42 silver to fill my 14 slot quiver with level 30 arrows). So, in a sense, they are balanced with the amount of power they have.

We'll see what Blizzard does. All I know is this - the Hunter is the most popular class, based on everything I've seen so far. That alone means something.

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2004, 10:58:20 PM »

I see Hunters plowing through mobs 3 levels about them.  Pet tanks and never loses aggro (this is something that will probably be changed...it seems that pet taunts work off the 'old' aggro management system where each taunt adds a fixed aggro value instead of the max+1 system warriors/bear form druids got), Hunter just pings arrow after arrow into the mob and it dies quick.  I dont see other classes soloing nearly this efficiently.  On top of what I am seeing, they get mail at 40.

Paladins are going to be tough to balance.  Mail/Plate + buffs, res, heals, etc. is going to be very hard to get right in PvP and PvE.  The old Paladin sucked, was boring and not needed in groups except as wipeout insurance.  New Paladin just tears ass, from what I hear...Playing Horde I dont have much retail experience though I did see them in action at the end of the beta and they seemed overpowered.

Shamans...maybe they wont be hit so hard.  It seems strange that they get mail though, on top of their already extremely versatile spell and totem loadout.

Warlocks are another tough call.  I am not sure what I would change to bring them up to speed, but they need a little something.  They have nice versatility, its just that what they bring to a group you dont miss when they are not around.  Especially with the soul stone change.  Going back to pet aggro though, their VW pets are nice now as they can lock up an add very easily.  I think their most useful group ability is Curse of Recklessness though and if they didnt have that they would be even further behind the curve.

As for Warriors, I play one so it is hard to be objective.  I played an Alliance War in the beta, playing a Horde one in retail.  I did feel that leveling up to 20ish was MUCH harder this time around.  Not sure exactly why that was.  Horde v Alliance bias or just all of the changes to the class.  Post 20, and now post 30, things are getting better.  I can kill something up to three levels above me with good tactics, but I have a lot of downtime.  With bandages, I can kill stuff 2-3 levels below me with almost no downtime.  The real killer for the class is the miss rate versus things above your own level.  On top of the removal of Inner Rage and the change to taunt it makes it extremely difficult to tank effectively in level-appropriate instances.

olaf
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 11:04:05 PM »

Well I am up to lvl 22 now.  As far as aggro, my pet quite often losses aggro to my range attack.  90% of the time I am finishing the last 15% or so of mob health in melee.  My pets have growl 3, bite 2, claw 3.  So far I can only do mobs above my lvl if they are one at a time.  If I get two (+3 lvl) mobs my healing of my pet ends up with both mobs on me and I drop fast.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: