http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:38:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back in the Game.  (Read 34521 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2007, 07:17:19 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 05, 2007, 11:10:26 PM

I just got claymores back last night.  I missed those a great deal after resetting.  For the moment the leveling is fun enough that I may go through another reset or two before just settling down to play with all the toys unlocked.

What happens when you reach the final trip through prestige? Is there anything special unlocked or do you just cap out and play with all the toys from then on out?
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2007, 07:36:14 PM »

I played some "Old School" mode today, it was a nice change, but man did it realize how many points I must get from Martyrdom.  But I still managed to do all right starting with the silly uzi (just need to keep on remembering to only engage the enemy at an appropriate distance).

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2007, 09:31:19 PM »

Looks like I'm going to settle in at 1.25.  As commented upon before, it so much easier to drop than it is to increase. Ugh.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2007, 04:55:19 AM »

Man I just keep getting worse and worse at this game.  I'm down to 1.00 now.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2007, 02:44:11 PM »

After a sterling weekend, I'm now back up to 1.26 with well more than 1000 kills than I have deaths.

With that I head off into another business trip... disgust and no 360 until Friday.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »

I had a great night last night and got back to 1.03.  I need to stop worrying about k/d though and just enjoy the game.  I got the G36C and I am sure loving that.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2007, 07:01:28 AM »

My new "thing" I started today has been to not check the scoreboard at all during the game.

The only exception I make is during hardcore, and that's because there's no other way to know if your team is winning or not.

It makes the really great games more satisfying for me because, at times, I'm pretty surprised.

I know there was one particularly long game of Headquarters on Showdown I played in the Team Tactical playlist that I felt I'd done awful in, when in reality I finished 54/25. I was pretty blown away.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »

I rented this the other day (own the PC version) and only had time to play two maps. I cannot even tell you how far superior I think mouse/keyboard is (not that you all don't know that already). But it is a tremendous system shock to go back to the controller. Granted I was exhausted and played for a cumulative 20 minutes and two short matches, but man it was wierd. Will likely continue to play on and off on 360. A bit frustrated with how the PC handles the multiplayer and the lack of prestige classes.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2007, 04:16:11 PM »

I've completely changed my play style from actively seeking opponents to waiting for them to seek me.  My k/d is up to 1.06 now, my best ever.  I also unlocked taht G36C and it's my fav-o weapon ever.

I'm with Calvin on the controls though, I'd be about 50x better on the PC with a mouse and keyboard.  But alas, I wanted to get involved with the XBL crowd on this one.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2007, 08:11:19 PM »

Well I would think playing on M/K would make the game significantly less fun because there's far less of a chance that your enemy would miss you, no?

I like the fact that there's not only a skill element, but that there's always an opportunity to miss because of no pin point controls.

As for the G36c  I love the gun. It has great sights and that makes it perfect to have the grenade launcher too.

That said, like I've said before: I hate the gun.  Even with stopping power and deep impact on, it seems underpowered and I almost never win a standoff one one one gun battle.

With the AK I win 90% of the time.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2007, 08:42:12 PM »

Yeah I tried the AK based on your glowing reviews of it.  Unfortunately, I sometimes spray with the bullets and after 1 bullet that damn AK is all over the place.  I try and squeeze off a couple rounds, but invariably I get one up close and panic!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2007, 08:45:17 PM »

G-36c is one of my favorite weapons.  It takes a bit of adjustment, but with stopping power and deep impact I get a ton of through-wall kills.  I can win plenty of one-on-ones, although as with most guns I try to stack the encounter in my favor as much as possible.

I need to rebuild my favorite stealth kit again.  G36c with silencer, uav jammer, and dead silence.  Don't bother engaging anyone at much about medium range, but can sneak up and destroy people who are bunkered up with ease.  I like it over a submachine gun because it feels like it has more punch, and the better range allows me to engage multiple foes from a position with cover, even if one of them spots me.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 13, 2007, 08:45:17 PM

G-36c is one of my favorite weapons.  It takes a bit of adjustment, but with stopping power and deep impact I get a ton of through-wall kills.  I can win plenty of one-on-ones, although as with most guns I try to stack the encounter in my favor as much as possible.

I need to rebuild my favorite stealth kit again.  G36c with silencer, uav jammer, and dead silence.  Don't bother engaging anyone at much about medium range, but can sneak up and destroy people who are bunkered up with ease.  I like it over a submachine gun because it feels like it has more punch, and the better range allows me to engage multiple foes from a position with cover, even if one of them spots me.

I use the exact same loadout except subbing the AK-74 for the G-36c.   I hate the 36c.  I find that the faster movement speed with the ak-74 combined with the fact that you don't really slow down when walking with sights raised makes a huge difference for me.  I also seem to hit about the same % at range with both of those guns.  Granted at anything past medium range the 36c will do much more damage per hit than the ak-74, but if I'm shooting at something that far away with my stealth kit I'm boned anyway.

I also love the G3 with silencer, UAV and either deep impact or dead silence and the AK-47 with silencer, UAV and dead silence or steady aim.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2007, 02:51:04 PM »

This obsession with accuracy is kind of funny. Yeah, obviously the fewer shots you need to hit someone theoretically the faster you kill them and they die, but my accuracy on PC has never been much higher than about 17% and my ratio is quite high (about 1.8 or so when I stopped). I am just saying-its not the end all be all. Depending on game type, I think you have to figure K/D is your barometer of success.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 14, 2007, 02:51:04 PM

This obsession with accuracy is kind of funny. Yeah, obviously the fewer shots you need to hit someone theoretically the faster you kill them and they die, but my accuracy on PC has never been much higher than about 17% and my ratio is quite high (about 1.8 or so when I stopped). I am just saying-its not the end all be all. Depending on game type, I think you have to figure K/D is your barometer of success.

Accuracy = Nothing. K/D = Everything!  nod
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2007, 03:43:12 PM »

I agree that k/d is more important than accuracy.  However, when given two people of equal or near k/d the person with the higher accuracy is obviously the better shot.  Less shots to kill someone is less time exposed which also leads to less dying.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2007, 10:04:10 PM »

Accuracy and k/d are the same thing to me.  Another way to get a feel for how I am doing overall, and a way to compete in a friendly way with my team mates.  Other than that I don't care about it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2007, 10:41:05 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 14, 2007, 10:04:10 PM

Accuracy and k/d are the same thing to me.  Another way to get a feel for how I am doing overall, and a way to compete in a friendly way with my team mates.  Other than that I don't care about it.

which reminds me... I'm gaining on you slywink
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2007, 10:53:51 PM »

Oh I don't know I think the accuracy thing is pretty satisfying really, especially in the way Jarrod mentioned. Friendly competition without actually having to shoot at each other is always fun.

So is flaunting the fact that people on my friends list have fired thousands more shots than I have and many of them have fewer hits Tongue

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2007, 12:27:55 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 14, 2007, 10:41:05 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 14, 2007, 10:04:10 PM

which reminds me... I'm gaining on you slywink

ninja I'm coming for both of you....oh yes...

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2007, 01:24:55 AM »

Kato has been going bananas lately...he's only .02 behind Hark now.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »

In retrospect the name of this thread is kind of a misnomer as I don't think I'll ever actually catch Hark...or Kato for that matter.

Rule #1 of a good K/D: Do not experiment with guns after you've found your favorite.

I've stayed with my trusty AK and am now back up to 1.27 after tearing fools apart last night- though I had a very slow start after 4 days of no playing the game at all (curse you buisness travel!).

Good times!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2007, 05:05:13 PM »

Well I still hate the controller. I have a whole post for one day about how the next step for MS to assert dominance is the addition of the M/KB peripheral, but I digress. I am still simply nowhere near as good as I was on the PC version, but Thursday night I played two games-one, I couldn't aim to save my life, and had one of my worst cod4 games of all time-something like 5-15. I was perplexed, since I frequently have a 2.0 K/D or more on the PC side. So the next game I decided to actually play the game differently on 360, and while aiming is still iffy, I was able to pull off 23-9 or something respectable and beat a couple level 2 prestige guys with my level 6 dude. Needless to say they did not say nice things into the microphone.

Excellent game on the 360. It looks unquestionably better at 1920x1200 on my PC, but the multiplayer is not as satisfying. If I had more time I would be all up on this.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on December 14, 2007, 10:53:51 PM

Oh I don't know I think the accuracy thing is pretty satisfying really, especially in the way Jarrod mentioned. Friendly competition without actually having to shoot at each other is always fun.

So is flaunting the fact that people on my friends list have fired thousands more shots than I have and many of them have fewer hits Tongue

I keep getting tempted to remove you from my friend's list slywink  We never seem to play together anymore and your stats are too good for me. lol  you're by far the best overall player on my list though your accuracy is barely top 10 your k/d is far and above greater.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »

Switches online profile to "offline" (Universe at War)  ninja

I caught up with you again in K/D again Hark, pray that I stop for a while.  Heh, who am I kidding? See ya soon buddy

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »

Great game, only problems now are controller lack of familiarity and some issues with lag spikes I am getting (guys shooting me sideways, me shooting them several times then dying-kill cam showing them taking no hits, etc)-led to several VERY frustrating games yesterday. Will try to get comcast to come check it out. Love it online, really a better experience then on PC.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2007, 06:37:40 PM »

1.3!

All hail the mighty AK-47

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 17, 2007, 06:37:40 PM

1.3!

All hail the mighty AK-47

saywhat retard

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2007, 09:32:01 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on December 17, 2007, 04:36:38 PM

Switches online profile to "offline" (Universe at War)  ninja

I caught up with you again in K/D again Hark, pray that I stop for a while.  Heh, who am I kidding? See ya soon buddy

Unfortunately my skills are not very consistant and I fear you will greatly surpass my overall k/d soon.  I should probably just let you play UAW for a few weeks and get rusty...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2007, 03:03:06 AM »

We had a great run tonight double digit undefeated streak.

Then we went into a match and Kato timed out and that left us short for 95% of the match and we lost.

Then we lost again and I called it a night...

Unbelievable how K/D swings.  I had three matches all night where I was killed more than I died and what do you know? I'm back at 1.29.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2007, 03:26:11 AM »

Quote from: ATB on December 18, 2007, 03:03:06 AM

Then we went into a match and Kato timed out and that left us short for 95% of the match and we lost.

Unbelievable how K/D swings.  I had three matches all night where I was killed more than I died and what do you know? I'm back at 1.29.

Well did you have 10 matches of +1 and 3 matches of -15?  Because that'll do it.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2007, 01:27:35 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 18, 2007, 03:26:11 AM

Well did you have 10 matches of +1 and 3 matches of -15?  Because that'll do it.

Good postulation, but no. Overwhelmingly positive the whole night.  It's the whole math thing.  The more you play the bigger the numbers the less you have to do wrong to drop and the more you have to do to rise. I hates it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2007, 03:39:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 18, 2007, 01:27:35 PM

Good postulation, but no. Overwhelmingly positive the whole night.  It's the whole math thing.  The more you play the bigger the numbers the less you have to do wrong to drop and the more you have to do to rise. I hates it.

Actually the bigger the numbers get the more you have to do wrong to change them as well as more right to change them slywink

Bad news is that it's much harder for me to raise my k/d compared to Kato at this point, good news is it's harder for a bad game to drop my ratio.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 18, 2007, 03:39:41 PM

Quote from: ATB on December 18, 2007, 01:27:35 PM

Actually the bigger the numbers get the more you have to do wrong to change them as well as more right to change them slywink

Bad news is that it's much harder for me to raise my k/d compared to Kato at this point, good news is it's harder for a bad game to drop my ratio.
I was just about to say that unfortunately ATB has it completely opposite-at my level and paucity of kills on the 360, its tremendously easy. My last 3 days with the game I went from 1.12 to 1.54 to 1.16 to 1.28 to whatever I am now..somewhat low 1.2s...its very easy when you have 350 kills total or something...its....30 times more effort at your level of kills ATB mama.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2007, 04:09:30 PM »

Hanging back and letting baddies come to me has bumped my k/d up to 1.09 with a brief stint at 1.10. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2007, 05:00:36 PM »

We're all right.

My point is that even if you have 20 kills and 5 deaths in a match, that's still pushing your total Kill and Death count up by 25.  Therefore, it takes more kills to raise your percentage than it does to lower it because your overall Kill Death count is increasing, not decreasing.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2007, 04:12:32 PM »

It seems that some non-deathmatch maps started creeping into the rotation last night. Was this announced?

I've never seen them before (wet work (timed out, showdown(?) played once) but they're a welcome addition.

Oh and 1.31!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2007, 04:17:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 19, 2007, 04:12:32 PM

It seems that some non-deathmatch maps started creeping into the rotation last night. Was this announced?

I've never seen them before (wet work (timed out, showdown(?) played once) but they're a welcome addition.

Oh and 1.31!

What kind of playlist ATB?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2007, 05:25:11 PM »

Yeah they updated some of the playlists, removed a couple, and seperated some others.

They added Showdown and Wetwork to Team Deathmatch, seperated Hardcore into Hardcore Team DM and Hardcore Search & Destroy, removed Team Tactical, and added Mercenary Team Deathmatch, which prevents parties from joining so if you want to play team DM by yourself you won't end up on a team with random people against a clan of 6 guys who live on the game.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2007, 06:10:08 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on December 19, 2007, 05:25:11 PM

Yeah they updated some of the playlists, removed a couple, and seperated some others.

They added Showdown and Wetwork to Team Deathmatch, seperated Hardcore into Hardcore Team DM and Hardcore Search & Destroy, removed Team Tactical, and added Mercenary Team Deathmatch, which prevents parties from joining so if you want to play team DM by yourself you won't end up on a team with random people against a clan of 6 guys who live on the game.

The latter happened to me last night. 6 guys camped the spawn zones on...shit, the garden house map-at least the general spawn zones on one side of the map. At one point I spawned 5 times in a row and couldn't make it to cover before being cut down-I took a couple down here or there, and finally got out of the death trap (including another 5 or so deaths seconds after respawn) and managed to go on a 7 streak at the end to get to 9/20 for the match. Needless to say I was not amused at the shennanigans. I know you can't really camp spawns since the player moves around, but you know the general zones for respawn based on where the teams are concentrating, and this clan were acting in an ungentlemanly manner.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: