http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 08:06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto Assault?  (Read 1313 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2006, 09:05:57 PM »

Anyone else playing the open beta for AA this weekend?  Sound off, maybe we can hook up.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 09:19:37 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Anyone else playing the open beta for AA this weekend?  Sound off, maybe we can hook up.

I found it boring, uninvolved, a grind, and extremely uninspired.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 10:23:44 PM »

Ive been in beta a long time. I only play off and on. Pretty repeditive and gets boring after a while.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 04:18:18 AM »

I like Auto Assault if you take it for what it is.  I like the fast paced action and it sort of reminds me of the days of Auto Duel.  I'm hoping the higher levels add more interesting stuff though.
Phydeaux
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 08:44:35 AM »

I think I've bene in beta since June. Auto Assault has come a long way, but I really think it's an awful yawn of a game. It's also the first MMO I've ever seen where nobody ever groups at all. Every single mission is doable alone. You can solo missions up to 3 levels higher than you... alone. And in general, if you can't do it alone, you also can't do it with help. This might be a plus in your book, but since the game is so boring, this merely insured the monotony. YMMV, though.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 01:19:30 PM »

There's another beta weekend starting this afternoon, through Penny Arcade.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 10:42:31 PM »

So, anybody want to tell me how this game is exactly? Or provide me with their beta experiences?

It looks like a blast and sounds like a lot of fun. I mean - you drive cars (or whatever) around, blasting other vehicles and people on foot. How can you go wrong?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »

I'll give you some impressions of my beta experience.

I've been in the beta since November (I got invited right around the same time I got invited to D&DO).  The beta has been pretty restricted.  We can only play on Wednesdays and Saturdays and only the newbie zones were open.

My first character was a mutant champion which is the fighter type class.  The champion gets a heavy duty car that takes a good deal of punishment.  I didn't like the model of the car much but played the character up to lvl 5.  I did all of the newbie quests and got to the first city.  The mutant starting area is a desert like environment (think of Arizona and New Mexico).  It's kind of a blah looking area.  You fight scorpions and human bounty hunter types.  The nice thing about mutant champions is that they have a self heal which is pretty nice.  All in all, I wasn't all that sold on the mutants.  Most of the vehicles are old style models (like cars from the 1950's).

The next character I made was a human bounty hunter.  The bounty hunter is supposed to be a stealthy type class.  The car is pretty cool looking.  It's like a futuristic dune buggy.  The bounty hunter has a limited time cloaking device for the car.  Came in handy to do some stealthy type missions, but didn't really get to see much more use out of it.  The human starting area is a ruined city area with some hills.  The enemies you face are other factions of humans and some bug like creatures.  I found the human starting area a bit difficult.  Not sure if it was because of the class I chose or not, but I died a lot where I didn't die once as the mutant champion.

After that, I made a biomek terminator.  The terminator is the fighter type class for the biomeks.  They start with a truck like vehicle.  It's not as flashy as the human vehicles, but I liked it better than the mutant ones.  Biomeks get a bonus to technology which helps with crafting.  The biomek starting area is a mountainous type area with a deep valley in the center of the map.  The starting enemies are pikes (which are humans that are slaves for the biomeks) and various bugs as well.  The biomek starting area isn't that hard, but some of the quests can be annoying.  I found the competition for mobs to kill to be extremely annoying.  The other races didn't have problems like that.

Anyway, I played more of the biomek terminator and starting digging into crafting which they just recently put into the game.  It's kind of interesting.  You collect various resources from enemies and destructable buildings, signs, fences, etc.  You can refine these resources into better quality resources which can make better quality items.  There's a lot of resources to collect, so it can become quite the inventory hog.  It gets worse when you start refining them since there are four levels of quality.

The graphics are pretty good.  I'm running at 1920X1200 with the settings on medium-high.  It runs pretty well on my 6800GT.  It slows down a bit when you run into a lot of mobs and start getting into heavy firefights.  As I mentioned, the human cars are really nice looking with the futuristic blue details and stuff.  Kind of like Tron.  The biomek cars aren't too shabby, but I really don't dig the old 1950's style of the mutant cars.

The sounds are pretty good for the most part.  You hear satisfying screams of enemies when you run them over or blast them.  Some of the guns sound underpowered though, especially the front mounted machine guns.  Most of the other weapons have a satisfying "punch" to them.

The driving has a very arcadey feel to it.  This is supposed to be a fast paced shoot em up, so you won't be getting your Gran Turismo type driving simulation from it.  You can upgrade your car's tires, but I didn't seem to notice much.  Maybe at higher levels, it will make more of a difference.

There's a lot of loot to be looted in the game.  You have a decent amount of slots to upgrade on your car.  There's a turret weapon, a front weapon, a back weapon and a melee weapon.  I played up to lvl 8 and only found turret and front mounted weapons.  Also, with the crafting, there's a ton of stuff to collect.

So, this isn't Auto Duel, but it has some fun to it.  I'm not sold 100% on the game, but it's been fun to play from time to time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: