http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 03:30:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asheron's Call 2 revived by Turbine  (Read 536 times)
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »

After a 7 year absence, Turbine has re-launched a "beta" server of Asheron's Call 2.

http://forums.ac.turbine.com/showthread.php?t=57257

The catch is ... you can log in if you are subbed to AC1, which still costs $12.95 a month. Basically a 2-for-1 deal.

The graphics hold up really well for a 10 year old game. Not TSW by any stretch, but like a low-setting DDO I'd estimate.

What they do with it remains to be seen. So far it's the game the way it was at shutdown in 2005, after the Legions expansion. At least the chat servers work this time.  icon_smile

Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

Played this one for a few months after launch but it got boring pretty quickly. From what I recall it wasn't too many levels in where you were left to your own devices more or less which meant a lot of exploring and killing random monsters. The problem was the world seemed haphazardly stuck together and empty where it really wasn't that fun to explore as most of the time you were just doing nothing but running endlessly. Not sure if it got better after I quit but don't have fond memories of the game like I did EQ where I'd want to go back and revisit.

Was surprised to hear the original game is still alive.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:13:49 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 14, 2012, 05:08:38 PM

Not sure if it got better after I quit but don't have fond memories of the game like I did EQ where I'd want to go back and revisit.

Was surprised to hear the original game is still alive.

Yep, it's alive and now has Steam client support.

I would love to see Turbine give AC2 the full reboot treatment like they did with DDO Unlimited. If its just the state of the game as of 2005, I can't see it attracting many fans.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »

That game was so dull.  I wanted to enjoy it so much when it came out, but they went so far with the apocalypse story that there was basically nothing of interest in the world anymore.  It gets marks for me playing as a character who used bongos as a weapon, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:24 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 07, 2013, 04:04:25 PM

It gets marks for me playing as a character who used bongos as a weapon, though.

Wow. Forgot about that. Yeah that was another silly aspect of the game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: