http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:37:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As if they haven't made enough money...[WoW Expansion]  (Read 2531 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:59:30 PM »

You know... I love Blizzard as much as the next guy, I really do...

But good Lord, what are they going to do with all their money?

Expansion Pack CE

Can you even imagine how many people are going to buy this?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:21:24 PM »

Also Coming Soon!
Patch 1.13 - Collectors Edition
For only $10 more, receive:
  • Patch 1.13 on both bittorrent and .zip format.
  • Patch 1.13: Behind-the-Scenes "Making Of" DVD
  • The Art of Patch 1.13 - Hard Cover Signed Book (more than 2 pages of Patch 1.13 art)
  • Exclusive In-Game bug fixes
  • Patch 1.13 Soundtrack (Over 1 mp3 of music from 1.13)
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:22:46 PM »

They're going to make plenty of money on the non-CE version of the expansion as well. Especially considering that it costs $39.99.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 10:16:11 PM »

Well, let me put it this way - I got the CE version of WoW when it first came out, and I still get the occasional tell whenever I pull out one of my exclusive pets (the Panda, Diablo, or Zergling). I feel that (and the artbook and music CD) made it well worth the extra $10.

They'll sell lots of both versions. They have what, 7 million subscribers now?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 01:15:40 AM »

Looks like the CE edition is $30 more than the regular:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646859

But it comes with 2 starter packs of the card game so that may make it worth the price difference depending on what those go for seperately.

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 05:10:48 AM »

The price of the WoW CE was how much?  I read $80 on another board, I dont remember it being that high.  $70 for an expansion CE seems...high.  It does look like it has a lot of extra stuff but $30 more makes it almost twice that of a regular edition.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 05:00:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 04, 2006, 10:16:11 PM

Well, let me put it this way - I got the CE version of WoW when it first came out, and I still get the occasional tell whenever I pull out one of my exclusive pets (the Panda, Diablo, or Zergling). I feel that (and the artbook and music CD) made it well worth the extra $10.

They'll sell lots of both versions. They have what, 7 million subscribers now?

The CE version of WoW is one of the better ones I've seen. Way better than most of the tin box pieces of crap that get released.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 01:30:49 PM »

I was very happy with my CE of Warcraft III and the CE of WoW.  I really dig the art books & soundtracks, and that alone would be an extra $30-$40 if purchased separately (and yes, I've purchased those kinds of items on their own for other games/franchises before).  They really make the products well-done.

The price of the extra goodies in this CE if they were sold separately would retail closer to the $40-$50 range, so to add $30 to the price of the expansion itself is actually a good deal.  I would like to pick up the CE of the expansion.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 06:55:37 PM »

The CE of the original was a great seller on EBay for a while, and I kind of intend to buy one and give it a month and see if EBay has a market for the expansion too biggrin
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 03:24:04 PM »

JUst pre-ordered my WoW: BC CE today. Why? The 2 hour bonus DVD. I'm a sucker for "making of" DVD's that come with games.

Oh and the pet will be nice too.  icon_biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 01:21:06 AM »

Somneone going to start up a clan for this XP? Blood Elf is the perfect excuse for me to findally start a horde character!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 02:26:35 AM »

Extra $10?  I thought the regular version was $49.99 when it came out and the CE was $79.99.  That would be a $30 difference.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 03:51:22 AM »

Quote from: AgtFox on October 10, 2006, 02:26:35 AM

Extra $10?  I thought the regular version was $49.99 when it came out and the CE was $79.99.  That would be a $30 difference.

To be frank, I have no idea how much more I spent on it. $30 though does sound right now that you mention it. Still worth it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
monkyskunk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 04:54:06 AM »

Before the CE was announced, I placed an order for the regular edition at Gamestop when they were offering free overnight shipping, the price after tax for that is 42.95. But with the CE now available for pre-order I thought I would go ahead and spend 17 dollars more to get the extra goodies that come with it, although it does mean I will have a much longer wait to get it, since I went with the free super saver shipping at Amazon.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 01:55:12 PM »

Quote from: monkyskunk on October 10, 2006, 04:54:06 AM

although it does mean I will have a much longer wait to get it, since I went with the free super saver shipping at Amazon.

Look at it this way - it's not like the game will be playable on Day 1 anyway. Their patcher will crash, the login server will blow up, and the n00b zones (as well as any 60+ areas) will be flooded with people who bought the expansion. ~7 million current subscribers, and I expect half as many to buy it.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 10:31:23 PM »

The opening area of Outland is going to be totally ridiculous. The newbie zones will be flooded, sure, but a lot of servers (especially older ones) have by far most of the population at 60. Pair that up with a PvP server, and it's gonna be like Ultima Online all over again.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 12:02:55 AM »

Quote from: Koz on October 10, 2006, 10:31:23 PM

The opening area of Outland is going to be totally ridiculous. The newbie zones will be flooded, sure, but a lot of servers (especially older ones) have by far most of the population at 60. Pair that up with a PvP server, and it's gonna be like Ultima Online all over again.

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

Thanks to IMDB for that one. I think it's fitting.  icon_biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 02:04:19 AM »

You know, even though I fully intend to play a Blood Elf so I can finally experience the horde quests, I do think its going to be mighty funny when literally 75% of 7 million players are all playing BE at the same time biggrin
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 06:14:48 PM »

I'm not even going to buy the durn thing and probably won't be able to play for a week.  icon_lol

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 11:30:48 PM »

Crap, I had no intention of getting this, since I haven't played WoW in quite a while.  However, my GF and I are starting up characters together, so now there's a strong likelihood that I'll be getting the expansion one way or another, and I'd really like the collector's edition to match my WoW collector's edition.  Any ideas on getting a copy of the CE at this point?  Anyone have one ordered that they've decided they don't want?  Bueller?

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 03:04:46 AM »

my suggestion would be to just cehck Eb 48 hours afterwards, since they only hold Reserves for that long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: