http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:32:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRGHH!!!! Pulling hair out! Please help.  (Read 2257 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2004, 09:43:41 PM »

So we have 2 large threads on the pros and cons of playing on PvP servers vs. PvE servers in World of Warcraft, and after readin them all super thoroughly, I've found I am no stinking closer to making a decision!

* I want the thrill of being "scared" all the time like I had in System Shock 2, yet I don't want to be ganked constantly by the same person through their corpse camping.  

* I want the freedom of being able to try and kill the enemy whenever I'd like, but I also don't want a L60 thug, just sitting in the same area killing all the newbies forever.

Basically I want the thrill and the "tense" atmosphere but don't want the kiddie campers either.  I don't mind dieing via PKing, as long as it's a fair fight.  I want the thrill of being able to  someone without having to wait pummel for a pk flag to trip too.

So what do I do?
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 10:00:34 PM »

Go PvE.  When you're in the mood for a scrap, run around the contested territories with your PvP flag on; I've never found most areas wanting for a fight or two, and usually you can get a pretty good 'pickup war' going by just running around a few folks with your PvP flag on.

Besides which, the PvP Battlegrounds system they're working on for PVP servers should provide exactly what you want; an area where you can go full PVP with objectives and areas to hold, but without getting in the way of questing elsewhere.

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 10:01:46 PM »

Dude, just go PvE.  You know, deep inside you, you just know... that all those gankholes that infested Diablo and Diablo II, Starcraft, WCIII.  Those idiots that ruined those awesome games.  Those guys are on the PvP servers.  They're there, you know they're there, I know they're there, and they know we know.  And Blizzard knows they're there.

Just play PvE already.  Get the same amount of PvP thrill with people who actually want to do it, not because they're forced to.  Sure those guys are on PvE servers too, but I have the option to completely and blissfully ignore them.

Just Hiro will do.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 10:14:27 PM »

Heheheh.  I forgot about all the moron-kiddies that may have migrated from from Diablo, SC, and WC.  <shudder>

But then again.  Oh would it be fun to pay 'em back!  again and again and again!  :lol:

Hey SH, so did you finally get it?
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 10:15:50 PM »

You want the best of both worlds it seems. I haven't found ganking to be a serious issue on PvE (or at least intentional ganking), but PvP servers have a whole different crowd I think.

If you want to "scared", then just leave your PvP flag on all the time  Tongue
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 10:22:06 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"

If you want to "scared", then just leave your PvP flag on all the time  Tongue

HAHAHAHAH!  MAN I LAUGHED OUT LOUD AT THAT.   :lol:  :lol:
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 10:27:45 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"
Heheheh.  I forgot about all the moron-kiddies that may have migrated from from Diablo, SC, and WC.  <shudder>

But then again.  Oh would it be fun to pay 'em back!  again and again and again!  :lol:

Hey SH, so did you finally get it?

See you on whisperwind  :wink:

Just Hiro will do.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 10:30:14 PM »

Yeah, Whisperwind is where the cool kids hang out anyways.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 10:34:42 PM »

If you are concerned about getting whacked as a low level on a PVP server I would suggest just making a character of a race with one of the more remote starting areas.  Night Elves or Tauren are pretty good for this.  I have a Tauren Druid on a PVP and so far the only time he has gotten killed by PVP was when I was jumped at Moonglade by a Night Elf Druid of the same level.  He is 16th level and the only other time I have encountered an Alliance guy was a Gnome Warlock of ?? level who just skirted around me.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 10:40:39 PM »

I have a lvl 6 human mage and a lvl 12 dwarf pally on Darkspear, which is PvP, and have yet to see anyone of the opposing alliance, let alone have problems with people ganking me.  Just pick a low pop server and you get a decent balance of safety and danger.  Besides, I thought you were only in danger in contested areas, anyway... doesn't that mean that you're safe in newbie zones?

I also have a 22 shaman on Whisperwind... fun, but way more downtime.  Also the Barrens, which is where I'm questing, is CONSTANTLY under attack by Alliance raids.  Ya, they can't touch you unless you flag one of them, but one time I healed someone I passed who must have had his flag on, and for the next 20 min one or another of the endless Alliance raids would kill me on sight.  Ironically I've been ganked far more in PvE than ever on my PvP server.  smile
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 10:43:16 PM »

Quote from: "Rowdy"
Ironically I've been ganked far more in PvE than ever on my PvP server.  smile

That's pretty darn ironic.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 11:03:30 PM »

Quote from: "Rowdy"
Ironically I've been ganked far more in PvE than ever on my PvP server.  smile

That's pretty darn ironic.

How is that even possible?
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 11:20:04 PM »

You can get tricked into turning on your PvP flag.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 11:36:43 PM »

I have to agree with others and say PvE server sounds like best bet for you.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 12:13:37 AM »

You can get tricked into turning on your PvP flag.

can ya elaborate on that so we can avoid this trickery you speak of?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 12:19:38 AM »

If you heal or bless or interact in other ways with a person that has their PvP flag on, you get your PvP flag turned on too.

Iv'e heard (but dnot' rmember) there being tricks to getting an unwilling person to PvP when an enemy attacks your friendly guard.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 01:56:11 AM »

Sometimes people will use a low level character as bait.  Send a level 5 character into a level 15 enemy zone, wait for someone to attack him, then his level 20 buddies come from a little ways off or unstealth and kill you.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2004, 06:31:47 AM »

Also, each faction has some quests (but only a few) that force you to attack opposite faction NPCs (thus turning on your PvP flag).

I kinda wish ther were more of these spread out among the zones. I think these really are pretty fun even though I am not a big PvP fan.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 02:21:09 PM »

See you on Lothar....pssh, 'cool kids'.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up