http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 12:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APB, now Reloaded!  (Read 12758 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »

found some fun videos off their website.  the game definitely seems to look better from these videos.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2011, 01:18:56 AM »

Interview from GDC.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »

A video showcasing the new starter vehicle.  Not super impressive, but hopefully it is more fun to drive.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »

dumptruck fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OLPtaV5TInw

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »

I just deleted it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 07, 2011, 09:42:19 PM

A video showcasing the new starter vehicle.  Not super impressive, but hopefully it is more fun to drive.
That doesn't look too bad for a starter.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »

open beta starts May 18th.  

However, between now and the Open Beta date (ie for the next two weeks), we will progressively permit access to MOST PEOPLE (17 or older in the US and 18 or older in the rest of the world) who do two things (1) creates (or already has) a GamersFirst Account with the appropriate info (see the link to the right of the blog) and then (2) submits his/her email (matching the G1 account) at the front of the APB page (www.gamersfirst.com/apb) in the "Newsletter Signup Email form." This will let us slowly turn up "the heat" on our servers before going fully "open."

Because I can,
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2011, 07:22:50 PM »

They are also letting in everyone with a G1 account that adds their email to the mailing list over the next 2 weeks.  They let in a bunch yesterday.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2011, 02:55:58 AM »

FYI, I'm hearing some negative things on this, especially with server loads (server falls to pieces once you hit a certain load), balance (criminals are a boatload easier to level up), overall gameplay (shooting is a joke, and vehicle gameplay has been oversimplified to the point where it's just not fun anymore), and how the devs are allowing you to purchase bonuses and such with real cash transactions.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »

the open beta is live for those wishing to see the trainwreck icon_twisted  you can download it here.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »

So, I've been playing this quite a bit the last couple weeks.  Is anybody else in there?

My main complaints when first playing the original APB was that the driving felt really bad (sluggish, laggy, etc) and the combat sucked (underpowered weapons, poor balancing, etc).   For a game all about driving and shooting that was pretty damning and I was frustrated enough early on that I didn't play long enough to experience much more of the game.

From what I have played of Reloaded (my character page says about 17 hours) it feels like they have made some good progress towards fixing the general feel of the driving and shooting.  The cars don't feel nearly as sluggish as I remember, I can control my powerslides so I don't constantly oversteer, and the starter car they give you is very quick and nimble.  The combat isn't perfect, but it does feel much better than it used to.  Guns are more deadly than they used to be and you have instant access to a decent assault rifle and a deadly pistol at the start

I haven't unlocked too many cars (maybe 7?) and none of them are the cool ones yet so I haven't spent any money on them.  I certainly see some cool ones driving around, though, so it gives me incentive to keep trying to unlock more.  I have quite a few weapons unlocked, and have tried out several of them to find which ones work well for me. 

So far I haven't felt compelled to use the microtransactions at all.  For all I know they might give you super awesome stuff, but I haven't really met any players that I felt were beating me simply because they had better equipment and I will spend my time unlocking new cars and such rather than pay for them. 

I still think there are some things that they should do a better job on, like streamlining equipment, communicating certain things to the player, and so on.  However, if you ever had an interest in this game it might be worth your time to give it a try now.  It's not perfect, but I am having fun and hopefully it just gets better.  Plus, it's free!  smile

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »

Seriously, nobody else has tried out the new APB?  That's a bummer, as I'm quite enjoying myself. 

In fact, just the other night I started an Enforcer character (the one I had been playing up to that point was a Criminal), was on a roll winning 8 missions in a row while hardly dying and got accused of being an "aimbot cheating c@#$!".  Something about that was very satisfying.  smile

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2011, 03:21:07 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 15, 2011, 08:32:23 PM

Seriously, nobody else has tried out the new APB?  That's a bummer, as I'm quite enjoying myself. 

You got me to load it up, but I haven't had much time to play it. I've played one mission outside the tutorial and figured out I still suck. I bought it when it came out, played a good bit, but got distracted. It's hard to go back.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »

It's an entertaining game with some flaws (matchmaking in particular). But driving around town is a lot of fun, and the n00b vehicle and weapons are actually kinda effective (the gun more so than the car). It's also MUCH easier getting money as a crook verses a cop (like real life it seems), which leads to balance issues as a cop later on IMHO (as you'll be fighting a fully decked out crook with weapon mods and such when you have the basic stuff due to cash flow problems).

All in all, it's fun. Even more so in a group with voice chat. A good way to spend a few days without paying a cent.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2011, 05:42:48 PM »

Too bad you can't go all Vic Mackey

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »

Yeah, I think their matchmaking can still use some work, but from looking at their development roadmap you can see they have upcoming improvements to both the matchmaking system as well as better district recommendations so people of the same skill level end up in the same district to begin with.  Hopefully these changes and the last couple months of beta really help to solidify that stuff.

I will admit I've spent most of my time now as a criminal, but did find that I had a harder time getting money as an Enforcer.  Mostly because I couldn't just smash businesses and steal stuff all the time.  I haven't spent enough time with the Enforcer to even see how the "crime witnessing" mechanic works, since I often see crimes but don't get any prompt to do something about it.  As a criminal, though, I have definitely had my smash 'n' grabs interrupted by some jerkhole cops.  slywink

I know customization is a big part of this game, but I almost wish there was an easy way to tell enforcers from criminals.  I often see some random guy with a gun and bandit mask stealing a car and assume it is a fellow criminal, only to have them turn out to be an enforcer and witness me doing bad stuff. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »

I just got an email announcing they are in "Open Beta Phase 2", whatever that means.  More importantly, some good patching has recently happened.  Here are a few of the main points:

• Improved Matchmaking & Opposition - The matchmaking system has been completely overhauled and now integrates your skill rating when creating matchups.
  • District Recommendation will place you automatically in the best matched district for your skill level when you select the main district buttons from the main district select screen.
  • Revamped Missions - We've made updates and completely re-written over 60 missions, and removed several missions that just weren't that fun.
  • Action System Improvements - Shooting now outranks ever other action, including sprinting. We've also reworked animations to give you a smoother and more realistic play experience.

You can see the full patch notes here with lots more fixes and details.  These address a lot of people's biggest complaints about the balance of the game, so I'm curious to see the reaction to the changes.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2011, 03:55:45 AM »

I played a bit today and I have to say that the matchmaking did seem to be improved, although it will take more playing to get a true sample.  Mostly I noticed that I got added to larger matches more often, instead of so many solo missions, which was nice.

Also, after finishing a mission you can do a quick Yes/No to say whether you would play again with the people you were teamed up with.  That has good intentions but is a bit hit or miss in practice, since it applies to everyone on the team and sometimes I'd like to avoid one player (who was off in neverneverland for the whole time) but don't want to down-vote the whole crew.  Something like Xbox Live's individual voting system might be better for weeding out bad apples, though who knows how much this current system actually affects on the backend.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »

I just recently started playing again, as of this morning infact was nice to login and I had a shotgun in my mail plus able to restore my old characters from retail. If you see "Lawman" enforcer or "r1s3n" criminal let me know I'll friend you and maybe can run a few missions.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »

i refuse to play with someone using numbers in their name, just ask pr0ner
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2011, 12:41:08 AM »

number discrimination never thought I'd see it this day of age...
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »

Put in about 10 hour, alot better then the beta I played a year or so ago. Fun at times frustrating at other.

Scott
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2011, 09:55:33 AM »

this popped up on Steam yesterday.  they have a special going:

Jump in before December 19th and get a Premium Upgrade Pack for 10 days! Pack includes:

10 Day Joker SR315 Carbine – Commissioned by the Lieutenant Inehower of the SPPD, the SR315 was an attempt to provide a weapons platform that was useful in both close-quarters combat and at long ranges. Eventually scrapped due to lack of long range accuracy, these carbine rifles nevertheless made their way into both faction’s arsenals. This gun has attachments for up to 2 custom Modifications.
    10 Days Premium – Take your game to the next level! Pony up to Premium and receive the following in-game benefits:
        Up to a 90% bonus to all Contact Standing (XP) gains
        125% bonus to al APB$ (in-game currency) gains!
        20% discount in the Armas Marketplace
        50% reduced cooldown on activated abilities
        Advance access to customization suites (up to 100/50/50)

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: