http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 05:01:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APB, now Reloaded!  (Read 13352 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »

hmm.. no early reviews.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2010, 07:15:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 17, 2010, 06:55:02 PM

Everyone that wants to try it out is pretty much trying it out right now. See for yourselves. But it is weak they are doing that. I really like the game but I can definitely see it reviewing poorly.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2010, 08:36:54 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 17, 2010, 06:28:24 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on June 17, 2010, 03:03:59 AM

I've only played enforcer and loved the hell out of it, I guess if we really have more time I should give the criminal element a try.

I played about an hour as a criminal at lunch and I must say, I couldn't tell any difference between criminal and enforcer from a gameplay standpoint.

I like it better.  I don't like trying not to running people over.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »

That's insane. How do you enforce a review embargo from a no-name company for 10 days AFTER it has been released, when you know that players EVERYWHERE will be telling about their experiences on whatever site they can get their hands on?

It doesn't matter if it's a good or bad game - this is just absurd. Period.

Oh, and remember the general thoughts for movies? If a reviewer isn't allowed to review a movie before it releases, it means that it's generally terrible. Does that hold true for APB? Good question.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2010, 12:13:48 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 17, 2010, 08:49:18 PM

a no-name company

They did do a little game called Crackdown.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2010, 04:53:58 PM »

well the Keys to the City even ends tomorrow, might as well jump on tonight to use up all the time I have left and decide whether or not I'll break my resolution of only focusing on games from my backlog this summer.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 17, 2010, 08:49:18 PM

That's insane. How do you enforce a review embargo from a no-name company for 10 days AFTER it has been released, when you know that players EVERYWHERE will be telling about their experiences on whatever site they can get their hands on?
Agreed it sounds silly imho. If it works though, I could see the developer of every prematurely released MMO in the cosmos demanding nobody write a review until it's been out for a couple weeks and they've fixed as much as they can.

But it's 2010 now. It's not like they can embargo a half dozen magazines and a few gaming news sites and squelch the flow of information.

If you ask, "why don't you fix it BEFORE you launch it?" or "Why don't you extend the open beta and widen it so you can get the feedback you need on a mass scale BEFORE it goes public?" or "Why don't MMOs in general stop treating open betas as a 2-week pre-order promotion gimmick instead of as a serious effort to fix bugs and broken features before launch?", you would only hear crickets chirping in response and publishers looking nervously at their watches and avoiding eye contact. Awkward...  icon_razz

I do wish more sites that do game reviews would revisit a game (MMOs especially) after maybe 3, 6, 12 months etc. and give an updated review or impressions. I would liken it to car magazines revisiting a car after they've had 50,000 or 100,000 miles to live with it, though most cars don't get updates and patches beyond the occasional recall.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 18, 2010, 07:22:54 PM

I do wish more sites that do game reviews would revisit a game (MMOs especially) after maybe 3, 6, 12 months etc. and give an updated review or impressions. I would liken it to car magazines revisiting a car after they've had 50,000 or 100,000 miles to live with it, though most cars don't get updates and patches beyond the occasional recall.  icon_smile

I know that one of the big MMO sites did a recent rereview of Vanguard recently. It brought in quite a few players as it was quite positive. Maybe what you're suggesting is a very good idea.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »

If anyone cares, I created my Enforcers on Zombie and my Criminals on LaRoche.

Enforcers:
Xander and Keira

Criminals:
Coop and Xyra

Keira on Zombie is likely to be my primary character.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2010, 04:06:53 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 26, 2010, 02:05:56 PM

If anyone cares, I created my Enforcers on Zombie and my Criminals on LaRoche.

Enforcers:
Xander and Keira

Criminals:
Coop and Xyra

Keira on Zombie is likely to be my primary character.

Sounds like a plan.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »

Zombie:
Enf - Vid

LaR:
Crim - Synth
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2010, 03:04:27 AM »

Some cheesy, but well worth it tips:

1) You can level up the car mod & clothes mod levels without doing anything.  Just open the panel and park yourself AFK for 15 hours or so total.  I am still doing it, but I believe it gets you rank and a fair bit of cash.

2) You can use weapons way before you can buy them from a contact in most cases.  It seems that leveling rating goes a fair bit faster than faction, definitely if you don't focus really well.  So, take some of the cash you have earned and head over to the auction house and pick up an NTEC.  It is a very decent assault rifle you have probably died from a bunch of times.  On my server they are going for about 500$ more than they cost from an NPC.  I assume people with the right level are buying a bunch and listing them.

3) If you die 101 times you get a free LMG or Auto Shotgun.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on June 29, 2010, 03:04:27 AM

3) If you die 101 times you get a free LMG or Auto Shotgun.

I've got to be close on this one.

One thing I did finally notice Saturday, it costs $50 to spawn your car. Man the money I've wasted on that.  crybaby

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2010, 04:44:38 AM »

As a follow up I now have like 150K from maxing out the two creation skills.  I don't worry about 50$ spawns anymore.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2010, 02:31:17 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on June 30, 2010, 04:44:38 AM

As a follow up I now have like 150K from maxing out the two creation skills.  I don't worry about 50$ spawns anymore.

Heh, yah I'm seriously thinking about buying the big SUV with all that cash. I hate that the pre-order car isn't customizable. It's a nice car, but I need to add my own flair to it. I really need to take a screenshot of my main to post. She's looking good. slywink

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 30, 2010, 02:31:17 PM

Heh, yah I'm seriously thinking about buying the big SUV with all that cash. I hate that the pre-order car isn't customizable. It's a nice car, but I need to add my own flair to it. I really need to take a screenshot of my main to post. She's looking good. slywink

I have been focusing on Synth my crim.  I want to get the truck also, pretty good stats and only about 8K from my contact.  The criminal pre-order car is fast as hell, but no ramming power at all and only 2 seats.

The game definitely needs some more work to be amazing, but I am having a lot of fun so far.  Great for just getting on for a half hour and running some missions.  Really easy to have a half hour turn into midnight ("just one more mission, this is a good group!").
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2010, 01:02:59 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on July 01, 2010, 01:40:52 AM

Quote from: coopasonic on June 30, 2010, 02:31:17 PM

I have been focusing on Synth my crim.  I want to get the truck also, pretty good stats and only about 8K from my contact.  The criminal pre-order car is fast as hell, but no ramming power at all and only 2 seats.

The game definitely needs some more work to be amazing, but I am having a lot of fun so far.  Great for just getting on for a half hour and running some missions.  Really easy to have a half hour turn into midnight ("just one more mission, this is a good group!").

The SUV I am looking at is the 25k Enforcer only truck. It looks kind of like a stylized version of an expedition. A little wider, a little lower, but great stats all around and it's customizable unlike the enforcer pre-order freebie. At least we got 4 door cars as our freebies. slywink

With most missions taking 10 minutes or less, it definitely has that "one more mission"-itis,that turns a reasonable bed time into, "oh god how am I ever going to get through the day tomorrow.. err today." I finally got the shotgun and LMG for free last night, one for the 101 deaths and the other for leveling up a faction or contact.

I'm still having a hard time letting go of the SMG even though I have the much beloved N-Tec. I ran out of rounds last night through a string of unprecendented mission successes and ended up having to take out a bounty with my .44. Damn that thing is powerful. Slow to fire, but 3 hits = dead criminal. I really want to try out the LTL options, just so I at least understand what my teammates are doing with them. Personally I'm fine with lethality.

I bounced back up to threat level 8 last night after a drop to 5 in the head start. Nice to have fresh meat to kill. slywink I may even be getting better.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »

So what's the general thoughts on APB? Is it worth the monthly/playtime block fee? Is there enough to actually do in this game? Is the PvP fun? Anything else an outsider should know?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 01, 2010, 01:57:41 PM

So what's the general thoughts on APB? Is it worth the monthly/playtime block fee? Is there enough to actually do in this game? Is the PvP fun? Anything else an outsider should know?

I think the general thoughts are that Vidiot and I really like it and nobody else is particularly impressed. I haven't made up my mind on the subscription yet. My expectation is that the initial 50 hours will last me quite a while and I can decide after that. The PvP is fast paced and goal based which is very satisfying to me. The only penalties for death are the respawn timer and potentially failing a mission which means reduced rewards.

You can make an annoying theme song for yourself (with a built-in midi type editor) that plays when you kill an opponent, which I find very pleasing.

Rolling in a pimped out SUV with 3 other guys hanging out the windows with rifles/SMGs while chasing a bounty is awesome.

The built in voice chat is pretty good, though you might want to turn down the volume on general chat if your wife or kids are nearby. There are still plenty of asshats.

You can't drive around for a minute without being presented a mission, they are repetitive but after 22 hours, I'm still having fun with them. As you move up to higher level contacts,more missions open up, though they do tend to be awfully similar.

You can customize anything and everything visually. Weapons, vehicles and your character all have slots for upgrades. There's a wide variety of weapons, from sniper rifles to 44 magnums and stun guns and they all have their uses. SOme guns are better against people, some are better against cars. Some are better for engaging at range and some in close quarters.

You may be ableto tell by now that I really like the game... slywink

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »

What coop said. 

I am having a blast with it so far.  I figure if I am still playing it very actively when my 50 hours are up it will be well worth subscribing to.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2010, 04:49:22 AM »

PC Gamer are not exactly fans, giving it a 55%.  Their reviewer seems to agree with those of us who aren't thrilled with the game, namely that the missions are boring and the main mechanics of driving and shooting aren't very good, and that's a bad thing in a game about driving and shooting.

Confused and weightless, APB doesn’t satisfy on any front: the shooting, driving, story and objectives are all sub-par.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2010, 12:53:26 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 03, 2010, 04:49:22 AM

PC Gamer are not exactly fans, giving it a 55%.  Their reviewer seems to agree with those of us who aren't thrilled with the game, namely that the missions are boring and the main mechanics of driving and shooting aren't very good, and that's a bad thing in a game about driving and shooting.

Confused and weightless, APB doesn’t satisfy on any front: the shooting, driving, story and objectives are all sub-par.

Eurogamer was unimpressed as well. I can't say there's anything completely wrong in the reviews. For some reason it just clicks for some of us.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2010, 10:44:24 PM »

I see on their site where I can just download the game. Is there some kind of free trial or something? I was in the beta but after the install I could never get it to run. I'd lik to try it though.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »

Any chance they've patched up the driving yet?  It did not feel smooth in the Keys event.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 05, 2010, 10:44:24 PM

I see on their site where I can just download the game. Is there some kind of free trial or something? I was in the beta but after the install I could never get it to run. I'd lik to try it though.

At the moment no. I'm sure it will come along eventually.

Quote from: CeeKay on July 05, 2010, 10:51:14 PM

Any chance they've patched up the driving yet?  It did not feel smooth in the Keys event.

No patches that I've noticed. The driving is something you get used to. I don't even think about it anymore. It depends heavily on the vehicle you are driving as well.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2010, 11:20:28 PM »

icon_frown Thanks.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 05, 2010, 11:12:51 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 05, 2010, 10:51:14 PM

No patches that I've noticed. The driving is something you get used to. I don't even think about it anymore. It depends heavily on the vehicle you are driving as well.

thanks.  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2010, 01:46:07 AM »

An interesting interview with David Jones called "Defending APB". 

He basically just dismisses every criticism of the game.  Frankly I'm never a fan of somebody saying "people just don't get it".  If people aren't understanding the mechanics of your game after a few hours then either you are failing to give them the information they need, or the mechanics should have been refined more.  I think this one needed both.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »

VE3D reviews APB

Because I can,
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »

I made about three months worth of RTW points before they patched the free money out of afking at the craft stations. Now I just need to find some time to play more. I think the 50 hours vs a free month with the game was a awesome idea. No rush to play.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2010, 04:56:32 AM »

I'm really wanting to play this but i don't want to pay $49.99 for the game plus a monthly fee in this day and age. I also doubt I'd play more than 3 months. If the game was like $10 or free then I'd definately play it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2010, 04:56:56 AM »

yep, the hours are indeed a great idea  thumbsup

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2010, 10:09:13 PM »

on fixes.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2010, 02:04:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2010, 10:09:13 PM

Yeah, apparently all that crap David Jones said about how the vehicle handling was just fine and that people just "didn't get" their combat...yeah, they're reworking all of that stuff.    Roll Eyes

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2010, 04:17:13 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 13, 2010, 02:04:32 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2010, 10:09:13 PM

Yeah, apparently all that crap David Jones said about how the vehicle handling was just fine and that people just "didn't get" their combat...yeah, they're reworking all of that stuff.    Roll Eyes

I think I sprained my eyes rolling on that bit.  it felt off on my new rig, and if that isn't up to spec they'd better close up shop now  icon_lol

Because I can,
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »

QUICK LOOK: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-apb-all-points-bulletin/17-2889/
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »

horrible reviews.   Its amazing how fast these developers can waste 50 million.  I mean really, in all your internal testing and development and meetings noone could see these problems?  they are so freakin obvious.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »

I know a couple folks who are enjoying it quite a bit, but I don't see it having long-term appeal for them.

The dev seems to be taking the attitude that critics don't "get" the game (kind of like when a summer movie gets horrible reviews but still makes $250 million at the box office).

Playing
PC
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on July 16, 2010, 04:53:50 PM

I mean really, in all your internal testing and development and meetings noone could see these problems?  they are so freakin obvious.

In my experience this is frequently be the result of poor leadership.  There can be many people on the team extremely aware of and bringing up issues like this but unless somebody listens to them, quits making dumb decisions and actually takes the time to fix the core problems then you end up releasing a mediocre product.  It is a very frustrating situation to be in, and often leads to low morale and lack of dedication to the project which then in turn leads to more mediocre results.

Not saying that was the case here, but I've certainly seen in before.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 16, 2010, 05:13:26 PM

Quote from: tcweidner on July 16, 2010, 04:53:50 PM

I mean really, in all your internal testing and development and meetings noone could see these problems?  they are so freakin obvious.

In my experience this is frequently be the result of poor leadership.  There can be many people on the team extremely aware of and bringing up issues like this but unless somebody listens to them, quits making dumb decisions and actually takes the time to fix the core problems then you end up releasing a mediocre product.  It is a very frustrating situation to be in, and often leads to low morale and lack of dedication to the project which then in turn leads to more mediocre results.

Not saying that was the case here, but I've certainly seen in before.
I could apply those descriptions to nearly every single MMO I've tried in the last 7 years.  deadhorse

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: