http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 01:14:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AoC - Wanderers Updates (DERKETO Server)  (Read 19862 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »

Hit level 25 last night.  what is the lowest level dungeon or other instanced area groups can take on?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »

I'm hoping my severance package comes through soon so I can catch up to y'all.  nod
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »

Don't forget you can always get apprenticed (you'll see us refer to it as SK or sidekicked, City of Heroes reference) to join up with a group, aside from the specific lvl 40-80 instances.  You do have to be a little careful because your armor/gear won't be levelled up, but as we've now seen/tested in numerous instances, you can be quite effective even when 10, 20 levels below the true mob levels.  Awesome feature IMHO!  There's a little more risk involved but it can be a lot of fun for everyone.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 05, 2008, 08:39:03 PM

Don't forget you can always get apprenticed (you'll see us refer to it as SK or sidekicked, City of Heroes reference) to join up with a group, aside from the specific lvl 40-80 instances.  You do have to be a little careful because your armor/gear won't be levelled up, but as we've now seen/tested in numerous instances, you can be quite effective even when 10, 20 levels below the true mob levels.  Awesome feature IMHO!  There's a little more risk involved but it can be a lot of fun for everyone.

I think I'll have to try that this weekend.  I'm L23 and should see 25 pretty quickly.  I want to hit some of the fun stuff instead of the grindey 'collect 200 pickled pigs feet' quests.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »

I just picked it up and will be on tonight, post-patching.  What's the prime group and instance friendly class?  Is it still healers and tanks, or would I be safe with just about anything?  I'm mainly talking for instance groups like WoW (if there is such a thing).

glyc

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2008, 07:07:40 PM »

I think you're pretty safe playing anything.

For instances, you generally want a tank and at least one healer for traditional play, but it's not 100% essential depending on the rest of the group make up, particularly the true levels of everyone involved.  All 3 tanks seem viable when they are at the main level (not apprenticed).  Apprenticing works well up to an extent - we've seen if your gear is too low a level, it can be difficult to tank or even off-tank. 

A mix of at least 2 different types of healers seems to be a very good combo to have, but we've gotten by with 1 healer or 2 of the same type.  For whatever off reason we seem to have the least ToS in terms of healers so I might recommend that...  Otherwise different forms of DPS are always great.  I'm actually curious what a 6-man DPS group would be like.
Silky
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »

I just signed up on the Wanderer's board so I hope to see you all in-game shortly.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »

I'm actually curious what a 6-man DPS group would be like.

Pretty much like 5 guys standing around waiting for the one guy who died to come running back from the resurrection spot.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:19:36 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Silky
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2008, 08:28:53 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 06, 2008, 08:17:40 PM

I'm actually curious what a 6-man DPS group would be like.

Pretty much like 5 guys standing around waiting for the one guy who died to come running back from the resurrection spot.  icon_biggrin
The way the game is setup now that would be 5 ToS and 1 PoM.  No running back for corpses; Hooray!
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

I created a Tempest of Set named Modekai, not sure how I'm supposed to get invited into the guild though.  I also have a few questions:

1.)  Are the characters supposed to have full voice, because I can't hear anything when they speak and I'm thinking I may have an issue.
2.)  Is it worth it to put points into Running an Climbing?  I've been putting them here and there, not sure what else to do yet.
3.)  Where do most of you have the visual distance slider?  I've got it set to 3000, but that seems way too high.  Framerates are generally 30-50, 1680x1050, everything on High.  I thought about lowering that if it's not necessary.

So far it seems interesting.  The ToS really kicks some serious ass, but I think I'm going to roll a Guardian as well just to play more with a melee class.

glyc

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2008, 12:44:01 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on June 06, 2008, 11:39:14 PM

I created a Tempest of Set named Modekai, not sure how I'm supposed to get invited into the guild though.  I also have a few questions
go to www.wanderers.us and introduce yourself.

1.)  Are the characters supposed to have full voice, because I can't hear anything when they speak and I'm thinking I may have an issue.
not all the NPC's will have voice, just those in the beginning area (tortage) and then the ones for the Destiny Quests.

2.)  Is it worth it to put points into Running an Climbing?  I've been putting them here and there, not sure what else to do yet.
yes.  some quests require you to climb stuff, and most climbs have different levels of climb needed.  Running is also good to have for running away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2008, 01:05:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 07, 2008, 12:44:01 AM

Quote from: Glycerine on June 06, 2008, 11:39:14 PM

I created a Tempest of Set named Modekai, not sure how I'm supposed to get invited into the guild though.  I also have a few questions
go to www.wanderers.us and introduce yourself.

not all the NPC's will have voice, just those in the beginning area (tortage) and then the ones for the Destiny Quests.

yes.  some quests require you to climb stuff, and most climbs have different levels of climb needed.  Running is also good to have for running away.
I think I read 10 points in running = 0.1% to run speed.  Link was here somewhere but I'm don't feel like looking it up.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »

As for running, there's lots of threads that its appearetly broken, and so seems a lot of other stats, not giving any kind of bonuses to be seen anywhere...strength for instance.

Devs will respond "soon"

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »

You guys are a lot sharper than me for stuff like this....but yesterday it struck me in what feels so familiar about AoC. It is Titan Quest on steroids. The Roman theme, the armor, the way the zones look.........Heck I even have a sword that is exactly like one I had in TQ.

I don't think I'm saying this is a bad thing, but obviously the designers took some major cues from TQ.

I'm getting a tad bored with the loot. I've been "wearing" the same stuff for 4 levels and using the same weapon for 5. I'm in the mid-30's now and I don't feel like I'm progressing as a protagonist in an online game. I loved this game when it came out. And I still think its the most beautiful game-world I've played in. But I'm not half way through the levels yet and its feeling stagnant. I usually get that feeling after my 2nd or 3rd alt that I max out.

I'll keep playing for a while longer. And I know a year from now this game will probably have all the componants of a well made, well fleshed out MMO. But I don't know how much longer I can trudge along as it is right now.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »

Quote from: Austin on June 07, 2008, 01:05:17 AM

I think I read 10 points in running = 0.1% to run speed.  Link was here somewhere but I'm don't feel like looking it up.

Yup. Or more accurately - 100 points = 1% to run speed. And you can't use that bonus while you're on a horse. I respeced out of it as soon as I found out the current formula.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »

I think a lot of those skills are broken personally. I swear mana attractor or whatever is not working. It seems like renew mana has some crazy low formula as well. The only thing that appears to work is casting concentration and you don't need to put anymore than 100 into that. Of course I could be wrong because I have no idea HOW the are suppose to work, just what they are suppose to DO. and it appears they don't do anything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 08, 2008, 07:23:08 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 08, 2008, 01:52:02 PM

Yup. Or more accurately - 100 points = 1% to run speed. And you can't use that bonus while you're on a horse. I respeced out of it as soon as I found out the current formula.

oh, well I guess I'll be respeccing that tonight.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 08, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »

Im out for a while guys....Crashing, bugged quests, and basically boring game play at the mid-30 mark is not boding well for me staying long term.
It might just need a bit of cooking time in the oven. I hope it can pull it out. I could be back in the future sometime depending on funcom and its priorities.

Retired:
Moxnix
Arclight

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2008, 01:12:42 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 08, 2008, 06:06:39 PM

I think a lot of those skills are broken personally. I swear mana attractor or whatever is not working. It seems like renew mana has some crazy low formula as well. The only thing that appears to work is casting concentration and you don't need to put anymore than 100 into that. Of course I could be wrong because I have no idea HOW the are suppose to work, just what they are suppose to DO. and it appears they don't do anything.

Most of the skills work, they just have crap descriptions.

Run Speed is very useful even at 1% per 100 points imo.  Hang out with people who have it maxed and you'll notice a difference.

Recovery, fast recovery, bandaging, mana attracter and regen mana are all skills that only affect your regen rate while resting.  If you take all the points out of them and rest then put the points into them and rest you'll see the difference immediately.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2008, 02:32:10 AM »

One thing that I wish the game did properly was Feat descriptions. For example:

"Augments the Lightning Strike spell by increasing the damage it inflicts."

Uh... HOW MUCH more? Even highlighting the spell's tooltip shows that it increased exactly squat.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2008, 06:21:26 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 09, 2008, 01:12:42 AM

Quote from: jersoc on June 08, 2008, 06:06:39 PM

Most of the skills work, they just have crap descriptions.

Run Speed is very useful even at 1% per 100 points imo.  Hang out with people who have it maxed and you'll notice a difference.

Recovery, fast recovery, bandaging, mana attracter and regen mana are all skills that only affect your regen rate while resting.  If you take all the points out of them and rest then put the points into them and rest you'll see the difference immediately.

bandaging is not for resting, but for normal "not fighting" mode, right? otherwise threre's no difference between the skills

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2008, 01:33:42 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 09, 2008, 06:21:26 AM

bandaging is not for resting, but for normal "not fighting" mode, right? otherwise threre's no difference between the skills

No - all of the 'restore health/stamina/mana' skills only work when you punch the Rest button.

And there are two 'tiers' of each (if/when you get them is dependent on your class). The first tier just increases the regen rate (while Resting), while the second tier gives you a chance of restoring double your normal regen each 'tick' you Rest.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »

really?? strange, because bandaging skill does NOT show the word "resting" in its description at all? Where's the two other regenerative skills DO have the word Resting in it...

I never use Rest...highest lvl 25 guardian though, so maybe I will get a use out of it later...

A new one
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 09, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »

Bandaging is non-combat health regen, it doesn't require rest as far as I'm aware. All the others do.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2008, 03:10:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2008, 07:23:08 PM

Quote from: Destructor on June 08, 2008, 01:52:02 PM

oh, well I guess I'll be respeccing that tonight.

You have to consider all skills and gear available and see how they are going to affect certain in-game situations.

About the run speed skills. It is pretty obvious that these skills give VERY limited benefits in PvE, so let's focus on PvP, where everyopne is running around like crazy.

1% to run-speed for 100 points seems insignificant. 8% when maxed out, however, will most definitely help. Add some bounses from the gear, like 5% from the boots and you have +13%. Almost half of the bonus that horses provide (horses currently give +20%, but supposed to give +30%, it looks like this change is in today's patch).

Same for endurance. 350 skill points give you an extra tick (which is 1 sec) of running. Doesn't sound that impressive. However, if you max it out (well, almost max out - you won't see any benefit after 760), you can run for 50% longer - 9 seconds as opposed to 6.

Being 13% faster, as well as being able to sprint for 50% longer, will definitely help in PvP. I am too lazy to calculate the composite percentage, but these 2 skills should make CONSIDERABLY faster when maxxed out and combined.

It's like in WoW, when we first saw +spell damage gear at lvl 40-ish, everyone was crying "booo, +5 here, +7 there, spell damage is neglible and sucks". Well, the entire end-game itemization is around this stat now, because it adds up.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »

I'm working on a guardian on Derketo (named Gorgonian). I guess it might be tough for me to get a sponsor for the Wanderers cause I've basically only played on Thog and nobody here seems to play there.  icon_confused I guess I'll worry about that stuff once I get him out of Tortage.

I guess if sponsorship is based on playing competently or not trying too hard to be funny in chat channels, then I don't have a prayer anyway.  icon_wink

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 16, 2008, 05:15:14 PM

I'm working on a guardian on Derketo (named Gorgonian). I guess it might be tough for me to get a sponsor for the Wanderers cause I've basically only played on Thog and nobody here seems to play there.  icon_confused I guess I'll worry about that stuff once I get him out of Tortage.

I guess if sponsorship is based on playing competently or not trying too hard to be funny in chat channels, then I don't have a prayer anyway.  icon_wink

Don't worry about sponsorship, just sign up on the main board (www.thewanderers.us) and then ask for an invite in game; just let whoever it is you talk to know you are Blackjack from GT.  Your best chances to catch an officer online are:

Rittchard, Kublai (or Sorry), Cortilian, Crabbs, Grim

- - -

In guild news, I'm happy to announce the guild city is growing steadily, with Keep, Tradepost, Temple and Library all up!!  Check it out if you get some time. 

Before you ask, I don't think the buildings actually do anything besides look pretty  saywhat
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »

Rittch - Gaute confirmed bonuses from guild buildings are in and working, they just don't have the tooltip in to show the effect. He also said they're going to bump up the bonuses when they fix the tooltip.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2008, 07:55:15 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 16, 2008, 07:06:36 PM

Rittch - Gaute confirmed bonuses from guild buildings are in and working, they just don't have the tooltip in to show the effect. He also said they're going to bump up the bonuses when they fix the tooltip.

So...what exactly do guild buildings do?

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »

From the devs:

Some buildings are there to support crafters and grant access to upper-level crafting recipes, as it’s impossible to build a siege engine without the mighty Engineer’s Workshop.

For more concrete benefits, several of the buildings grant benefits to all members of a class or archetype in your guild. Build a Temple and your priests will all grow tougher, while a Thieves’ Guild will help all your rogues get sneakier and stabbier.  “But how?” you cry.  We’ve consulted with the darker powers in Development—Jayde—and he gave us some detailed info on how some of these buildings will work.

The most common bonus available to players through the player cities will be the passive and/or feat based statistical bonuses for owning a Keep or other “archetype” buildings. These include: The University (Magic Rating), the Temple (Magic Resists), the Barracks (Defense Rating), and the Thieves’ Guild (Attack Rating). Additionally, the Keep building will have a generic bonus to Health Points, Mana Points, and/or stamina points.

Furthermore, these bonuses will increase based on the tier of each building, so a guild that puts in the effort to build a massive, powerful city will receive massive, powerful bonuses, the better to lord it over their friends and enemies.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »

I wonder if the above city buffs apply to PvE or PvP city?  If it's for PvE cities, then what does a PvP city offer above and beyond these stat buffs?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 17, 2008, 03:32:35 PM

I wonder if the above city buffs apply to PvE or PvP city?  If it's for PvE cities, then what does a PvP city offer above and beyond these stat buffs?

are PvP cities going to be attackable?  if not I can't see there being anything extra.

BTW, as of last night we now have a barracks and thieves guild (both of them are solid too!)  Tongue

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »

My guess is the PvP city will be mostly for bragging rights until they figure it all out.   Maybe the bonuses will only apply specifically in the PvP/Border zones.
- - -

Also should mention there is a working TRADER in the tradepost.  The floors are not solid but apparently he can float on them anyway  eek
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2008, 05:51:50 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 17, 2008, 05:40:01 PM

My guess is the PvP city will be mostly for bragging rights until they figure it all out.   Maybe the bonuses will only apply specifically in the PvP/Border zones.
- - -

Also should mention there is a working TRADER in the tradepost.  The floors are not solid but apparently he can float on them anyway  eek

I'm starting to believe "until they figure it out" is the catch phrase that will be associated with this game. Seems like they're flying by the seat of their pants.
Its like they said this is what the game will have when we release it..........then they all ran into the board room and said, "anyone know how we can actually pull this off"....anyone? anyone? Bueller?

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2008, 09:00:29 PM »

I'm not going to get bent out of shape until I see what happens with the slew of promises they've announced for June/July. They've made some pretty bold statements in regards to upcoming content, both PvP and PvE. The reason I'm not terribly upset about the missing launch content is that it's obvious they had to release it with some major bugs/technical issues, and it's understandable that they want to focus on getting those ironed out before dumping new features in. It's not excusable, but it's not unusual either.

That said, I understand the frustration, and if June/July comes and goes with the features they've promised either MIA or seriously broken, then I'll have to definitely start questioning if they have their act together.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2008, 03:43:14 AM »

I posted on the Wanders forum with some of my background and hoping for an invite to guild. Thanks! smile
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: