http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 09:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AoC - Wanderers Updates (DERKETO Server)  (Read 20124 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »

I plan on doing a lot of crafting, so I'm willing to be your "brick and mortar bitch." That's B&M bitch, not S&M bitch, rittchard.  icon_wink

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 08:37:39 PM »

Thanks YK!!!

- - -

Announcement: unless something changes in the next 48hours, we will be playing on the ANU server.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on May 15, 2008, 05:19:55 PM

Hark come on, wouldn't you rather be playing with a large supply of people you've gamed with and trusted for almost a decade rather than be on a giant ffa gankfest? Like all of these games, when the rush of pvp is finally over, you'd rather play with people you know, and while having a group of 10+ is awesome, thats going to die down and you'll be stuck alone. PvP exists on all servers!

Come on!

No matter how many friends are on the server, I'd still be doing PvE with no excitement all the way up until I'm able to do the PvP I'm looking for.  And even once I'm able to go to the borderlands, I still have to keep going back to boring PvE until I'm 80.  I can't stress just how boring it is fighting computer AI that is 100% predictable with no chance of anything interesting happening.  It would be great to talk with all of you and use teamwork while doing it, but that doesn't make the act itself less boring, it just means I'm occupied while doing it.

The PvP server would not have been that bad of a choice if large numbers of people were playing together, because the types of people that gank, don't like facing groups. 

Also, I'm only playing AoC until WAR, and I'd like to maximize my fun until then.

I know some people look at the idea of having to guard your back the whole time you XP on mobs to be a negative thing, but that little bit of excitement combined with the intense adrenaline burst when you DO get jumped or see someone approaching is well worth it to me. 

I'd rather not do this:

Levels 1-40 boring
40 fun at borderlands
40-80 boring
80 would have fun on sieges and borderlands but will instead be playing WAR by then

When I can do this:

1-5 boring
6-80 fun

It'll take a lot longer to level up for sure, but most of the server is under the same constraints.

Hell, if WAR isn't out and I'm the only person playing AoC, I'll come over to the pve server because I'm sure you guys will have altitis by then and I can level up some.

Besides, if I always played where the Wanderers were despite not thinking I'd like it, I would have played SWG and Horizons  slywink  Notice I skipped both those games.    icon_lol

edit:  btw, server names are up in the other thread and I'll be on  Cimmeria.

Wish you guys the best of luck and I hope to see you in WAR!
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2008, 09:58:15 PM »

How do you get to 80 on an FFA server? Can you level by ganking people? If not, won't you just be doing the boring pve stuff while being occupied by looking over your shoulder all the time?

Ale
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2008, 10:25:11 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on May 15, 2008, 09:58:15 PM

How do you get to 80 on an FFA server? Can you level by ganking people? If not, won't you just be doing the boring pve stuff while being occupied by looking over your shoulder all the time?

Ale
That's exactly how you do it.  I preferred how it was in DAOC where you did get xp for pvp and could level up solely by pvp.  I don't think AoC has that option so I will in fact have to do PvE but it will be more exciting knowing that I have to be on my toes.  In the past I have literally fell asleep doing group pve, that's simply not an option here.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »

I dunno Hark, sounds like you are making a lot of assumptions of what the game is going to be like without really having all the information.  I don't think anyone here can flat out say what Borderlands is going to be like one way or the other, and it looks like you are assuming you can only PvP for 1 level there?  If you could level 40-80 in Borderlands would that make a difference? 

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »

Im not entirely sure Hark is even sold on Age of Conan and he's just covering his bases. On a RP-PvP server, hes guarenteed to get a more mature player base that will most likely shy away from camping spawn points, as well as getting the open pvp he craves, which hes hoping will get boring just about the same time Warhammer is 2 weeks from launch and can safely transfer over to what most of us feel will be the superior game. Hell, I feel the same way.  icon_lol

Im just under the impression, PvP or not, we all grind the same damn quests...its just a matter if you want the allow others to waste your free time or not.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:49:22 PM by Pharaoh » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on May 15, 2008, 10:42:50 PM

Im just under the impression, PvP or not, we all grind the same damn quests...its just a matter if you want the allow others to waste your free time or not.  icon_razz

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  Except in this case we have the potential to build our own city and battlekeeps rather than have to hope to join with other guilds. 

Not to mention who knows when WAR is really coming out.  Fall 2008 I'd say best case is October (also marking DAOC anniversary), worst case it gets pushed back to 2009.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 02:07:19 AM »

Hark is just weird.  He hates pretty much any single player game or any game that you play against AI.  So don't try too hard to make sense of his logic  icon_twisted
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008, 02:52:45 AM »

Quote from: skystride on May 16, 2008, 02:07:19 AM

Hark is just weird.  He hates pretty much any single player game or any game that you play against AI.  So don't try too hard to make sense of his logic  icon_twisted

I'm the same way with certain types of games, and MMO's are one of them for me.  I'll watch Harkonis's back and he'll watch mine

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2008, 04:43:07 AM »

We'll see.  If I don't have fun I'm blaming you and Hark for talking me into the game.

ninja

Pikachu, I Blame you!
VastVenin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2008, 05:45:46 AM »

Holy crap!  rittchard, are you the ritt I played DAOC with on Geheris years ago?  I think you played the Bonedancer class.  If you are, I'd be happy to join you guys, had a total blast with the Wanderers.  I wonder who else I might remember. 
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2008, 07:47:57 AM »

oh crap Gaheris...hahah, I had forgotten all about the "ONE" server. The care-bear server to end all care-bears.
I loved it though.
I had a AoE'ing monster Enchanter I played on that server...wow, memories.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2008, 07:57:43 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on May 16, 2008, 04:43:07 AM

We'll see.  If I don't have fun I'm blaming you and Hark for talking me into the game.

ninja

I do in fact hate playing against the computer in pretty much any game and I despise single player games slywink  You got me there Sky.

Jarrod, I have no doubt you'll get tired of the game quickly and hate us for 'making' you play, but it's because you have the shortest attention span in gaming of anyone I know other than Smurff.  ninja
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »

Getting Started Race and Class
http://conaninfo.com/index_files/Page516.htm

Some classes start out easier than others.  If you are playing a class you really like but it seems underpowered you may want to try and stick with it e.g., bear shaman and maybe defender.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »

Thanks for that chart, Jasifob. Really helped a lot.

Right now I'm leaning pure Guardian. I love playing tanks, and I think having to taunt using combos would be an interesting challenge.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2008, 04:30:50 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 16, 2008, 04:12:42 PM

Thanks for that chart, Jasifob. Really helped a lot.

Right now I'm leaning pure Guardian. I love playing tanks, and I think having to taunt using combos would be an interesting challenge.
I'm thinking Bear Shaman.  Or Herald.  or Conqueror.  Or Barb.  Or....

EDIT: Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, (couldn't find it), but how are feat respecs handled, if at all?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 04:40:14 PM by Hotfreak » Logged

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2008, 04:59:56 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 16, 2008, 02:52:45 AM

I'm the same way with certain types of games, and MMO's are one of them for me.  I'll watch Harkonis's back and he'll watch mine

I thought I was the only one who got to watch Hark's "back"  icon_twisted
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 16, 2008, 04:59:56 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 16, 2008, 02:52:45 AM

I thought I was the only one who got to watch Hark's "back"  icon_twisted

Ritt, I've moved on, at some point you'll have to as well   ninja

Respecs cost money btw
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »

Quote from: VastVenin on May 16, 2008, 05:45:46 AM

Holy crap!  rittchard, are you the ritt I played DAOC with on Geheris years ago?  I think you played the Bonedancer class.  If you are, I'd be happy to join you guys, had a total blast with the Wanderers.  I wonder who else I might remember. 

Oh yeah that was me.  I was..... BONERITT!!!!  Man that was one of my favorite character names ever.

I don't think we have too many more from the Gaheris crowd, I think Hedinn was there though.  I'm hoping to get a couple more of them (Dirk, Ayngel/Fawlen, Qantaga, etc) but so far they have been non-responsive and resisting my charms.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 16, 2008, 07:57:43 AM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on May 16, 2008, 04:43:07 AM

ninja

I do in fact hate playing against the computer in pretty much any game and I despise single player games slywink  You got me there Sky.

Jarrod, I have no doubt you'll get tired of the game quickly and hate us for 'making' you play, but it's because you have the shortest attention span in gaming of anyone I know other than Smurff.  ninja

I do tend to bounce from game to game, with the rare exceptions that keep me playing for quite a while.  Such as COD4, various 4X's on the PC.  MMO's have never kept my attention for more than a month (well, other than Multiplayer Battletech, which I kept playing for years because of the people, and the fact that there were no levels).  One of the big reasons is that if you are playing with friends that have more (or less) time than you have, then you end up drifting apart or one group not having fun.

<shrug>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 16, 2008, 05:01:34 PM

Respecs cost money btw

Respecing feats was cheap enough,  I tried to respec my skill points and it just said "you can't afford it".  btw, you respec skills by holding down alt and clicking on the skill.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2008, 05:37:12 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 13, 2008, 06:04:51 PM

I wasn't able to find a / command so if anyone knows please let me know.  Otherwise it appeared to me that I had to have the person selected in order to invite into the guild. 

/guild invite <name>
VastVenin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2008, 05:44:28 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 16, 2008, 05:02:41 PM

Quote from: VastVenin on May 16, 2008, 05:45:46 AM

Oh yeah that was me.  I was..... BONERITT!!!!  Man that was one of my favorite character names ever.

I don't think we have too many more from the Gaheris crowd, I think Hedinn was there though.  I'm hoping to get a couple more of them (Dirk, Ayngel/Fawlen, Qantaga, etc) but so far they have been non-responsive and resisting my charms.

Yeah yeah! That was you, how funny.   I remember Dirk as well.  What games are those guys playing now?   The co-op guild on Gaheris was a blast because you guys were looking to explore instead of grind the same dungeons over and over for XP or loot, so I want more of that smile
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2008, 06:52:56 PM »

I don't think we have too many more from the Gaheris crowd, I think Hedinn was there though.  I'm hoping to get a couple more of them (Dirk, Ayngel/Fawlen, Qantaga, etc) but so far they have been non-responsive and resisting my charms.

Yep, I was on Gaheris, playing a Necro (together with Ayngel). Memories...

Rittch, you tell Qantaga he must join us in AoC - he promised me a "free armor for life" deal back when I found the bestest place for resources for him in Horizons. smile
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »

Dobbin's, Nithrak/Camulus and Myself(Tao from OO) will be in game on Tuesday. Will look for you guys(Wanderers) once we are in game. We should have a core group of 8 or 10 players. Look forward to seeing you all soon.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2008, 11:21:39 PM »

Quote from: Abaddon on May 16, 2008, 10:16:46 PM

Dobbin's, Nithrak/Camulus and Myself(Tao from OO) will be in game on Tuesday. Will look for you guys(Wanderers) once we are in game. We should have a core group of 8 or 10 players. Look forward to seeing you all soon.

I (Eyan from EQ2) was wondering which game you and Nithrak up to these days. You guys and Adam jumped around so much there for a bit I lost track once I never saw you guys in Vanguard shortly after hooking up with you.

I don't think my computer will handle this game so unfortunately won't be playing.

Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 11:49:20 PM »

Just for giggles I'm going to install AoC on my laptop.  A dual core AMD with 2 gig of RAM, but with just an onboard ATI xpress 1150.  If it even boots I suspect it'll just be a 32 gig chat client. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2008, 12:59:11 AM »

alright, after waffling back and forth I took the plunge (no early access though  crybaby) and posted on the Wanderers forum.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2008, 04:00:17 AM »

Quote from: RobbieD on May 16, 2008, 11:21:39 PM

I don't think my computer will handle this game so unfortunately won't be playing.

That sucks dude  crybaby Would have been sweet to get everyone together again. Keep us posted if the situation changes!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2008, 10:55:38 AM »

I know I have a log in on the Wanderers forum from a very long time ago.  When logging in I get an error that the password wasn't able to be converted when the board was upgraded.  Unfortunately the email I signed up under no longer exists I believe.  Any chance I could get some help on that Ritt?
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2008, 12:50:07 PM »

You have a pm arkon.  Password reset.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »

OK, it needs to be said:  of course we are going to be playing on Anu server- the game just launched  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2008, 06:12:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2008, 06:10:37 PM

OK, it needs to be said:  of course we are going to be playing on Anu server- the game just launched  icon_twisted
This needs to be said, too:

Ugh.  icon_wink

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »

And posted over at the Wanderer's. I'm looking forward to joining your band of merry men and women. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2008, 06:40:38 PM »

Are you going to be on Anu with us?

See what I did there?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »

eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

Anu is NOT available during Early Access.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=363

PvE Servers
Set
Dagoth
Zug
Omm
Derketo
Thog
Wiccana
Gwahlur (recommended Oceanic)

This is what we have to work with. Rittch, do your magic!
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2008, 06:56:40 PM »

UPDATE:  Looks like our backup server of choice is Derketo.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2008, 08:21:15 PM »

As Hamlet has noted our backup server is DERKETO.

Please stay tuned to these forums if you don't have access yet to the Wanderers forum, we will keep things updated as we go along to the best of our ability.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »

Allrighty - I'm in as Knightshade on the Derketo server.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: