http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 08:48:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AoC server merge coming  (Read 3247 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:22:38 PM »

Deanna Russo....whoops wrong copy paste..how'd that get in there..anyways....

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41827/Age-of-Conan-Server-Merge-in-the-Works there we go.

AoC is doing as bad as I expected. It played horrible on my system and crashed all the time right up until close of beta. Its one of those games I was looking forward to buying but ended up having to pass on it because of the performance and glitches.

Thankfully Warhammer Online ROCKS!...plays well and I think Ive had 3 crashes total in it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 03:33:55 PM »

seriously, do you even read other threads before padding your new topics started stat?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »

Thats an impressions thread. Its not for new news on the game. As for padding..who gives a fuck. who seriously keeps up with their number of posts? An idiot thats who cares.I wish there was no fucking post counter. Just gives people with nothing better to do a chance to gripe.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:14:58 PM »

I'm going to pad my post counter now too.   icon_biggrin  I have a lot of catching up to do to you guys.

Seriously, AoC is already in decline.  Not a good sign.  I didn't have as much of a problem with the performance (I just set it rather low), but I found the look and feel to be lacking once you get outside the first 20 levels.  I know it is likely too much to ask, but if they could have kept the first 20 levels of gaming experience going throughout all the tiers, they would likely have a winner, although I still have problems with everyone essentially looking alike (the loot did not have even close to the diversity of other games).  That's also a problem with having only human races in a game - it makes more diverse and unique loot a necessity.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:19:50 PM by Fez » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:01:50 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 30, 2008, 04:00:18 PM

Thats an impressions thread. Its not for new news on the game.

seems to be plenty of new news in that thread, only an idiot can't see that.

Because I can,
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »

Wow, I never even had a chance to try it and it's already dying.  Warhammer was doubtless a nasty nail in its coffin.

And IMO, this totally belongs in a new thread.  Impressions are for new games that I don't know about and would like to see other players' IMPRESSIONS of.  The news posted here was not an impression, but a new development unrelated to a given player's impressions of the game.  Totally appropriate, I think. 
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 30, 2008, 05:01:50 PM

sheesh, daehawk beat up your mom or something  icon_eek

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:24:47 PM »

Isn't a server merge typically a kiss of death for a MMORPG? I can't think of any major, successful MMORPGs that have ever needed to do this in modern times, though my knowledge is spotty.
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:31:40 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 30, 2008, 09:24:47 PM

Isn't a server merge typically a kiss of death for a MMORPG?

When combined with a New Thread announcement that garners debate on the appropriateness of the New Thread, then yeah, it's AoC's deathknell.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »

First post!!!!!!!!1111111eleventyone

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 10:35:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 30, 2008, 09:24:47 PM

Isn't a server merge typically a kiss of death for a MMORPG? I can't think of any major, successful MMORPGs that have ever needed to do this in modern times, though my knowledge is spotty.

Vanguard did it and is still hanging on.  At this point they are (slowly) starting to grow again.  Excellent game now but War and WoW are enough for me these days.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:23:56 PM »

AoC is staggering no doubt, but I would keep in mind that they added a bunch of servers *after* the game launched due to probably the usual underestimating of the capacity they needed. When I first started playing, I recalled seeing "new server available" messages when I logged in, almost every day. So they may well just end up getting back to the number of servers they had at launch.

I think what it does reflect is their obvious "churn rate" since launch and that they're officially no longer in "growth" mode - I know that's "duh"  retard but this helps make that concrete. It's obviously not a hot new game people grab off the shelf anymore (it's Warhammer's 15 minutes of fame now, and soon the LOTRO and WoW expansions), so their mission is probably more of retention and survival than anything else.

Usually DOOMMM!!! is called for, imho, if there is an Auto Assault style "mass server consolidation." Netdevil/NCSoft merged about 8 or 12 servers (I forget the number, but it was about the same as City of Heroes has) into one giant server called "Nexus," if I remember it right, and you knew that was pretty much a portent of doom, and it was.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:26:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 12:28:23 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 30, 2008, 09:12:58 PM

at least she didn't let him do a scheissen video with him like yours did  Tongue

but you're right, it's not worth the hassle.  I was annoyed with another fucktard at work an Daehawk just happened to wander into the crosshairs.  On the plus side I'm looking forward to posting without having to worry about checking to see if someone else has posted the same thing too, especially since it seems to be acceptable  thumbsup

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 01, 2008, 12:28:23 AM

Quote from: hepcat on September 30, 2008, 09:12:58 PM

On the plus side I'm looking forward to posting without having to worry about checking to see if someone else has posted the same thing too, especially since it seems to be acceptable  thumbsup

+1  he does seem to constantly post new threads with little to no regard of whether it already exists.  If I notice who posted, I usually skip the thread figuring I probably already read it before. O_o
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 11:14:52 AM »

forum police is hot today, eh? Lighten up, people, I'm sure there's room for all of us here...

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 01, 2008, 11:14:52 AM

forum police is hot today, eh? Lighten up, people, I'm sure there's room for all of us here...

Seriously. I would have never read a 3 month old impressions thread but found this news interesting all it's own.  I don't see the same bitching about the multitude of WOW or WAR threads that could just as easily be contained within less threads.

morlac00 on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »

The bickering in here is ridiculous and needs to stop.  While we all might prefer tidier threads, GT doesn't have a policy about "Official" threads or anything of the sort so it's generally up to the posters' discretion if they start a new thread or put it in an existing thread.  People who are intent on criticizing the quality of others posts probably wouldn't want that same microscope applied to every one of their own posts. 

FWIW, I agree with morlac and DragonFyre- I would never have looked into AoC impressions thread but I do find news of the server merge interesting in an industry news sense and would not have known about it if it weren't for this thread. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »

It just it me...if I were wanting to post pad Id still have the same amount of posts whether I started this thread or posted in the impressions thread.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 01, 2008, 01:37:17 PM

The bickering in here is ridiculous and needs to stop.  While we all might prefer tidier threads, GT doesn't have a policy about "Official" threads or anything of the sort so it's generally up to the posters' discretion if they start a new thread or put it in an existing thread.  People who are intent on criticizing the quality of others posts probably wouldn't want that same microscope applied to every one of their own posts. 

FWIW, I agree with morlac and DragonFyre- I would never have looked into AoC impressions thread but I do find news of the server merge interesting in an industry news sense and would not have known about it if it weren't for this thread. 

It's not just that he posted a new thread, it's that he loves to see something fail that he either didn't like, or couldn't play, and doesn't miss a chance to bring it up. He's been doing it for years.

Ale
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on October 02, 2008, 06:42:56 PM

It's not just that he posted a new thread, it's that he loves to see something fail that he either didn't like, or couldn't play, and doesn't miss a chance to bring it up. He's been doing it for years.

And this is different from the rest of the internet, how? 
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 02, 2008, 06:49:45 PM

Quote from: Alefroth on October 02, 2008, 06:42:56 PM

And this is different from the rest of the internet, how? 

What's your point? Do you really think that's all the Internet is?

Ale
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:08:07 PM by Alefroth » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »

It was a a joke but people taking joy in the failure of others, especially companies, has long been a favorite internet past time and it's absurd to single out a single poster because of it.  Good lord, the amount of cheering that would probably occur on this very forum if EA were to close down would be enormous. 

And people generally don't single out Daehawk's posts because of any negative attitude in them- they complained mightily over the many PSP threads and almost all of those were incredibly positive. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »

Can't we just talk about Adam Baldwin?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »

Wow, some of you guys are just wound way too tight.
Nit-picking............seems to be a hobby for some.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: