http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:32:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AoC - Pvp servers, how are they?  (Read 3623 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »

So, some of you guys have been playing on PVP servers for a while - how is it? Gankfest, impossible to work in, or..?

also, if anyone's in the RP-PVP servers, is there any kind of RP going on there? or do people still have names like Yomama and LOLJABBA without any kind of GM action being taken?

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »

Plenty of pvp, plenty of rp, not much ganking I've seen. I see a lot of people whining in OOC and forums about it, but I've been attacked twice and am level 26.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »

I've been on a non-RP PVP server and only got ganked once.  I some others in a group who were doing a fairly good job of policing against random gankers. 

I still think the time wasted by getting randomly ganked by someone you have no chance against may just be better served on a non-PVP server.  But at least there's no fighting allowed around Tortage, and your Destiny quests are instanced for only you, so you can avoid it there.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »

all tge gankers will be waiting for the floodgates to open up on Tuesday.  I can just picture a horde of level 30 toons staning around in one area waiting for the n00bs to be released  into the wild icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 03:14:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 19, 2008, 02:53:03 PM

all tge gankers will be waiting for the floodgates to open up on Tuesday.  I can just picture a horde of level 30 toons staning around in one area waiting for the n00bs to be released  into the wild icon_twisted

I thought you could level up pretty much in instances for 20-40 levels no?
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »

Think I might roll up a high stealth character just to watch and read the global chatter.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »

Quote from: Austin on May 19, 2008, 03:14:04 PM

I thought you could level up pretty much in instances for 20-40 levels no?

I've heard the solo part covers about 15 levels, but I also believe you can break out of it earlier if you want to.

Because I can,
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 03:40:42 PM »

So far it's been what I expected, which is to say great fun!

It makes exploring much more interesting, and since I've gone in with the mindset that ganking WILL happen, I've had no problems when it did. I've been ganked 2-3 times, but I've managed to get sweet revenge in two cases, and in most cases people seem to have a reasonable set of ethical values in terms of who they attack and why.

It's just the only way I can see myself playing - at least for now.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on May 19, 2008, 03:40:42 PM

It makes exploring much more interesting, and since I've gone in with the mindset that ganking WILL happen, I've had no problems when it did. I've been ganked 2-3 times, but I've managed to get sweet revenge in two cases, and in most cases people seem to have a reasonable set of ethical values in terms of who they attack and why.

Are you soloing or running with a group?

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »

For maximum ganking potentital you need to hit 80 first.  Ganking right now would an inefficient waste of time and you stand the risk of getting ganked by higher levels.  That's my theory.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on May 19, 2008, 04:06:09 PM

I'm soloing for now - until the official release where I'll be joined by the GF and a few friends hopefully.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on May 19, 2008, 04:32:19 PM

I'm soloing for now - until the official release where I'll be joined by the GF and a few friends hopefully.
I might just join you - Pvp-RP server, right?

A new one
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 19, 2008, 04:34:48 PM

Quote from: DArtagnan on May 19, 2008, 04:32:19 PM

I might just join you - Pvp-RP server, right?

Yup - Aquilonia

My GF is still a bit sceptical about FFA PvP - but I think I've just about persuaded her that it's more exciting smile

If I fail, though, it'll be Dagon PvE server, but I remain firm for now slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 09:12:02 PM »

As an aside, Kato is a fricking levelling machine.  He only had 3 hours more playtime than me and was level 38 when the servers came down instead of my measly 26.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »

I was ganked once by a large group of marauding doofuses.  So I followed them around for awhile and picked off two stragglers.

Killed on zone in once.

Spawn camped once.  I was able to escape after about the fifth death and ran around until I found another player in the zone.  I hid near him and waited about five minutes for the camper to show up.  When the camper unvis'd on the bait I got some quick revenge. 

I'm having a great time I just wish they would keep the servers up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 19, 2008, 09:12:02 PM

As an aside, Kato is a fricking levelling machine.  He only had 3 hours more playtime than me and was level 38 when the servers came down instead of my measly 26.

I bet he's using some kind of brown man hack.  Tongue

Because I can,
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »

Why would anyone want to play a game without factions on a pvp server? It'd be just a mess of people ganking each other over and over again with no allies to really count on.

"LOLZ LETZ GROUPZ KAYZ LOLZ I LIE!"

leetpvpnerd kills you

"HAHA"

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 10:52:40 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 19, 2008, 09:50:57 PM

Why would anyone want to play a game without factions on a pvp server? It'd be just a mess of people ganking each other over and over again with no allies to really count on.

leetpvpnerd kills you

"HAHA"
I think these things have a way of balancing themselves out.  Homo Sapiens is a social animal.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 19, 2008, 09:50:57 PM

leetpvpnerd kills you

"HAHA"

There are many factions forming and alliances, they just aren't enforced by the game engine.  There is a very social RP crowd that is doing a good job at responding to campers and generally as long as you aren't a rpk dick you can walk around unstealthed past most guilds and be fine.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 12:54:52 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 20, 2008, 12:08:22 AM

There are many factions forming and alliances, they just aren't enforced by the game engine.  There is a very social RP crowd that is doing a good job at responding to campers and generally as long as you aren't a rpk dick you can walk around unstealthed past most guilds and be fine.

Yup.

I played for about 5-6 hours today almost entirely in PvP enabled zones.  I was killed once on a zone-in by a known rPK guild and attacked by a random player in a separate incident.  I obviously died on the zone-in but was able to kill the unsolicited attacker.  The rest of the time was spent intermingling with other players with no problems. 
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 03:41:52 AM »

Quote from: Thry on May 20, 2008, 12:54:52 AM

Yup.

I played for about 5-6 hours today almost entirely in PvP enabled zones.  I was killed once on a zone-in by a known rPK guild and attacked by a random player in a separate incident.  I obviously died on the zone-in but was able to kill the unsolicited attacker.  The rest of the time was spent intermingling with other players with no problems. 

Actually, I'm quite surprised of the level of civility so far in the game.  Its kinda funny when you run into someone out in the wild, you stare at each other for a little while, then you both sheath your weapons and go on your way. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:21 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 20, 2008, 03:41:52 AM

Quote from: Thry on May 20, 2008, 12:54:52 AM

Yup.

Actually, I'm quite surprised of the level of civility so far in the game.  Its kinda funny when you run into someone out in the wild, you stare at each other for a little while, then you both sheath your weapons and go on your way. 

Think out of all of us, I have suffered from the most gankage so far.

Got killed a mess of times while fighting a mob, and just recently flat out destroyed by a assassin/ranger combo that rolled through and decided to attack for no effen reason.
I'm starting to think that if you higher level boys stir up enough sh!t, us lower levels are gonna feel the wrath much more than you.

There were a few times that I accidentally splash damaged players while hitting mobs, at which point I apologize so that my name doesn't end up on any lists.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:19:22 PM by Mikagami » Logged

Gonna eat your face
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »

hmm, I'll start on normal PVE servers I think...

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 04:32:40 PM »

So there are not any faction/race based pvp servers?

morlac00 on PSN
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »

There is one faction based PvP server, I can't remember atm what they call that type of server.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »

My impressions are the FFA pvp is currently broken. Now I played pvp servers in wow. In fact before the honor changed I got up to rank 11 before quitting the grind. So i'm no stranger to pvp. But the fact that there is nothing to stop someone from camping you. Unlike wow you res at one spot, well damn that one spot was camped to hell last night. It took me 10 mins of dying before I finally res'd when the people weren't paying attention. Then 5 mins later they found me again and the process repeated. This isn't fun to me. I really, really wanted to do pvp, but right now it's broke. They need something up that at least gives you fighting a chance. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to res with almost no HP and no immunity for a few seconds? They should instantly be fired and never work in gaming again.

As much as blizzard broke wow's pvp in a year, they at least did get some things right off the bat.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 07:31:32 PM »

I'm surprised that they went to launch with no ruleset.  They were always promising us that the FFA lack of rules was just temporary in beta.

Have you guys figured out the PvP leveling system?  Is it based on kills per death ratio?  If that's the case, well camping portal has to be the best way to level up.  And if you have only one portal in zone, 1 instance, no stealth, what's your option?  alt-f4?
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »

I don't know about US servers, but they just re-added the "Shield of the Risen" immunity on EU servers.

As for how to avoid PvP camping, for now, you can try to select another instance which will port you to the spawn point there. It requires one to be created first though, which is based on zone population.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »

too much spawn camping
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 01:14:56 AM »

Quote from: Rich on May 22, 2008, 05:43:51 PM

There is one faction based PvP server, I can't remember atm what they call that type of server.

Cultural Warfare or something like that.

Because I can,
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »

Are you guys suffering from the spawn camping problems on Cimmeria (RP-PvP)? It happens but I haven't been hearing much of it.

Politics are very much alive and were to thank for pretty much all of my PvP yesterday.  I played for 8 hours and I think I was randomly killed once.  I respawned and killed the guy twice for good measure.  The funny thing is I had previously grouped with his guild so I sent his guildee a tell asking what was going on and they kicked/KoS'd him.  Pretty much everything else was initiating and killing Barbarians of Ironwolf guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: