http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 09:38:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AoC - Developers update  (Read 2109 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »

Fellow Hyborians!

As you may have noticed we have had frequent patches the last two weeks. We hope this will soon start to quiet down, but as long as there are major issues – and there have been – we will dedicate the Conan team to fixing them and giving you these fixes as soon as possible! We have a plan on how to move this game forward because as you know, what you have today is but the platform – the dawn of this world. I hope you enjoy the game as is, but I can ensure you, this is but the beginning!

Our focus from now on can be summarized by these points:

We will add content, specifically in mid-late thirties and mid-late fifties and make the leveling speed smoother in those areas, reducing the need to grind.
We will have an overhaul of the PvP system – adding consequence and a host of small things.
We are fixing bugs you reported through all channels we can get information from.
We will add a new large outdoor region in the 55-60 range this summer!
This is only a small taster! More information about the exciting summer and fall Roadmap will come the end of the next week!
We are staffing up Customer Service, Quality Assurance and Community departments!

More here:
http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=2510&table=CONTENT

I'd say that this looks very promising indeed!!

A new one
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:44:38 PM »

Sounds good.

Let's see if they can fix the remaining serious technical glitches and then actually implement some of those things, instead of merely making more promises.

But still.... looks good.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:07:14 AM »

It's in that link Razgon mentioned, thought it's worth pasting in for the lazy like me  icon_biggrin I highlighted one that's of interest to us disappointed a bit by the disappearance of voice overs (aside from Destiny stuff) beyond L20.  icon_cool

1. Filling “thin areas” in our content

We have seen that there are certain level ranges of these Hyborian Adventures that do not have the amount of quality we wish them to have. Most specifically these are the end of the Thirties and the end of the Fifties level ranges. We are addressing this in several ways.

* Several mid-late thirties dungeons are getting a complete overhaul (Black Castle, Pyramid of the Ancients and Treasury of the Ancients)
    * Several quests are being made fuller and more entertaining. If people wish to revisit these quests, we will add a system to let them try them out again.
    * we are adding first a batch of quests in Eiglophian Mountains (lvls 55+)
    * We are also adding in a bunch of quests that didn’t quite make it for launch in the 30+ areas.
    * Around 60 quests through the game have been flagged as “Lore Quests”. They will now be patched out with full Voice-Over. (Roughly 1 quest per level after level 20)

All this will come in June! In July the first level 80 additional Dungeon will be patched out.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:09:14 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »

hmm, seems like there will be a prison-based PvP penalty based system now.

shameless copy from the US forums:
If you havent been following this here is the dev post.

G4's The MMO Report has interviewed Jason Stone in the latest video broadcast. In it, Jason Stone tells that he has designed a PvP bounty/prison system to be implemented as part of Funcom's launch plan for Age of Conan. Below is a written description of the system:

According to Jason Stone on today's MMO Report, he's designed this very elaborate "prison system" that is AoC's take on anti-griefing, and it will be implemented fairly soon because it's essentially done and was part of the "launch plan" for the game.

In essence, it specifically targets griefers with a "bounty system" coupled with a "prison sentence".

Griefing would essentially be repeat kills of a player that provides no challenge. For example, repeatedly killing a player much lower level than you who has no chance at all to win against you (so some type of level differential). It would also encompass something like too many successive kills in a row or timeframe (I'm reading between the lines of what he actually said here).

So say you do this in Cimmeria. Enough offenses and you get a "Cimmerian bounty" placed on you. The Bounty Hunter NPCs in Cimmeria can then somehow capture you (no details here), so you can choose to flee to Aquilonia or Stygia and do your dirty deeds there instead. If you ever come back to Cimmeria, you will still have a bounty on your head (no time-out, apparently).

If you get caught by the bounty hunters, you can either bribe them to let you go by paying some amount above and beyond the bounty (one type of money sink penalty), or you can choose to serve prison time.

The prison time is meant to be actively unpleasant. You can't just wait it out. You must perform menial, boring tasks such as "take this stick and kill 300 rats" or "carry this stone to the other side of the yard, pick up a stone on that side and carry it back, do this 300 times", etc.

Finally, somehow the "prison" is visible to other players, so that you get the embarrassment of being seen serving your prison time and doing those menial quests.

interesting, if this plays out well, I might consider joining an RP-PvP server again...

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »

HA!  That sounds hysterical.  I can't imagine the hardcore pvpers going for it though.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »

man, I bet the PVP forums are exploding over that idea.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »

Personally i think it's a fantastic idea.  I really applaud them for taking a bold approach!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

I'm all over that idea.  Prisons for griefers = all sorts of win.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Hyperion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »

I play on the RP-PVP servers, and as someone who has never attacked someone first, but have been attacked many times, I think this is a great idea.

Not sure it really fits into the setting, but neither do the gankers/griefers.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »

I don't think the "visible prison" is a good idea at all. Griefers grief for attention. Putting them on display in a glass box is like giving them a stage. It's exactly what they want. Attention. It's more like a reward than a punishment. I bet you people would end up going to prison on purpose. It's a 'look at me' crowd and what could be better for them. Remove the visible part of the punishment, and you might have something. No chat either, not public or private.

-Cota
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 04:27:15 PM »

Quote from: Cota on June 04, 2008, 04:20:03 PM

I don't think the "visible prison" is a good idea at all. Griefers grief for attention. Putting them on display in a glass box is like giving them a stage. It's exactly what they want. Attention. It's more like a reward than a punishment. I bet you people would end up going to prison on purpose. It's a 'look at me' crowd and what could be better for them. Remove the visible part of the punishment, and you might have something. No chat either, not public or private.

-Cota

Hmm, I don't really agree with that.

First of all, I don't think it's fair to say that ALL griefers grief for attention. That's a pretty extreme simplification, and I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are griefers - though they probably share aspects.

Secondly, forcing trivial tasks upon a player will hardly be an incentive to grief. At least not how I see it. Though I'm sure the "humiliation" aspect is limited, it should still be an experience you'd want to avoid because everyone will know you griefed and got "owned" by some NPCs.

I fail to see how that will encourage griefing in any way.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »

Quote from: Cota on June 04, 2008, 04:20:03 PM

-Cota

other players would have to make the effort to actually visit the jail, however.  it's not like the griefers are being placed on a stage where everyone has to see them.  personally, i would probably stop by the jail every now and then to taunt those folks, but i would probably be able to count the number of times i did so on one hand after a year.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »

So... someone would be paying 15 dollars a month or whatever to be in virtual prison?

I guess punishing griefers is a good idea, but does anyone honestly think that it would play out that way?  What kind of griefer kid, if he were caught, would willingly serve their sentence?  The prison and associated resources would always be empty.  More likely the griefer would just start up another character and quit playing that one, rather than waste a bunch of time in 'prison'.  Granted, that may be just as effective in terms of getting rid of a griefer, but the resources spent on creating that prison and the associated quests would be wasted.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on June 05, 2008, 09:42:56 PM

So... someone would be paying 15 dollars a month or whatever to be in virtual prison?

I guess punishing griefers is a good idea, but does anyone honestly think that it would play out that way?  What kind of griefer kid, if he were caught, would willingly serve their sentence?  The prison and associated resources would always be empty.  More likely the griefer would just start up another character and quit playing that one, rather than waste a bunch of time in 'prison'.  Granted, that may be just as effective in terms of getting rid of a griefer, but the resources spent on creating that prison and the associated quests would be wasted.

I'm pretty sure the time to get say level 20 would be a lot longer than the 'prison sentence'.  Any level lower than that won't be very affective at griefing.

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »

The newsletter had some promising dev update info about new quests:
Soon we will be bringing in tons of new quests to Hyboria, spread out all across the three realms of Aquilonia, Cimmeria and Stygia. We will be putting in over a dozen new quests for Eiglophian Mountains, and we are also introducing several dozen new quests for levels thirty and up.
And about voice over additions:

*NOTE: If you consider quest titles themselves to be spoilers, ya might wanna skip this.*

More quests with voice over!
http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&table=CONTENT&func_id=2536&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Clan_of_Conan&utm_content=issue17

Finally playing with an alt again reminded me again how much I miss the voiceovers post-Tortage (aside from the Destiny quests, and a handful of other NPCs that retain the voices), so I'm glad they're at least sprinkling in voiceovers throughout the various level ranges.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:30:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »

The Game Director answered a few more fan questions Monday:
http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=2537&table=CONTENT
Q: When will the guild buildings bonuses be activated?

The building bonuses "work" already, per se. Their major problem is that the tooltip from the feats don’t show. This has been worked on and will come in a patch very soon. In addition we felt the bonuses were a bit "stingy" and have decided to increase their effect.

Both of these changes will go out at the same time.
My guild has 2-3 buildings, but I haven't checked them out yet.
Q. Can you tell us more about how character skills affect the gameplay?

Several of the Tooltips on skills and stats have been of too low quality, and this has in certain cases made it a bigger challenge than intended to understand how this works. These are now being improved and will come shortly. They are the ones that will tell you about what the stats are doing. It is simply too much detail to write down here.
This is meaningful to me, some of my Conq's skills, I just couldn't hardly tell you what they were doing for me (perhaps it's just a Finnish-to-English lost in translation problem).

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: