http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 12:00:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AoC Classes thread  (Read 12610 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:14:58 AM »

So, what classes are you playing, and what is the strength/weakness's of each?

Personally, I really enjoy my Tempest of Set - delivers serious damage and is fun to play..Ive heard that the ToS and the Demonologist are the best (some would say most unbalanced) for end-game play so far, delivering the best DPS and with the higest survivability.

Also, tried out the Bear shaman, and got him to level 12 - really fun, but healing is very lacking as I see it so far...

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:59:11 AM »

Guardian to 28
And currently an Assassin @ 20.

Guardian's strength of course is in the ability to last a long time. The downside is not the greatest DPS. But we all know thats what a Guardian is = Tank.
Personally I just couldn't get into it. Almost 100% sure its just my dislike of tanking and not with the AoC tank.

Assassin. So much potential for some serious fun. But........no CC is really hampering that fun level. Very high burst damage but with 2 or 3 adds you better time your combo's just right.
You can die very easily playing an AoC Assassin.
For all of its lacking I'm still finding it a ton O fun.

Not sure what to try next. I want to see some of the higher end content so I better just stick with the Assassin and resist the urge to keep trying new classes.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »

I've only played Conquerer, to level 24 (in two days). Lot of fun. It can use a crossbow, which I plum forgot about (helpful for pulling I imagine, but I tend to just pull my inching towards things).

I want to liken it maybe to LOTORO's champion, but that's probably oversimplifying.

Here's my admittedly non-expert take on strengths, weaknesses:

Strengths:
-Serious butt-kicking melee damage, including some fun knockback types.
-Lots of specialized skills and feats to make either 2-hand weapons or dual single hand weapons more effective.
-Auras, buffs that can rev up damage and accuracy; and later on very short-lived group buffs (only last about 20 secs tho)

Weaknesses
-Can't use shields at all
-Can wear heavy armor, but only Guardians can wear "full plate"
-I may just have relatively wimpy armor, but I can't stay in a huge fracas as long as a Guardian can. Blackjackian dies a lot, but I'm gradually learning when to run, and what groups I can handle.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »

So far Bear Shaman to 16...almost gave up, then some wanderers clued me in to the stacking of the blood flow effect...and I got a "real" healing spell.  Kind of a pain to keep that up to level 5 all the time, but i'm having fun.

My Herald seems interesting also.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »

I've brought my Dark Templar to 26. I can't compare it to any of the other classes as it's the only one I've played. It's an unusual meele hybrid that's based on life draining damage over time and mixed damaging/healing auras.

I'm not busting out massive damage that I can tell (I always keep the floating numbers off in an MMO), but I'm able to wade into co-level mobs of 6 and come out mostly intact. It may get hairy, but as long as I can keep from being surrounded and make contact on a few of them with each swing of the blade...the health keeps coming.

I've only grouped up a couple of times, so I can't give any solid info on how effective the DT is in groups play...though my auras do extend to the group, giving bonuses to their in-combat regeneration, additional damage, and group life taps.

The feat trees are twisted and I'm having a hard time deciding which tree to take in the long haul. One tree boosts the melee combo effects, and the other your auras and spells....even though it's available, I'm not going to spend any points in the base soldier tree. I'm to the point that I need to decide which one to go for in the long run.

Anyways...that's the basics of the DT, and I'm enjoying it. smile
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 26, 2008, 12:31:22 PM

I've only played Conquerer, to level 24 (in two days). Lot of fun. It can use a crossbow, which I plum forgot about (helpful for pulling I imagine, but I tend to just pull my inching towards things).

You can't use crossbows until level 50.  You can use thrown weapons but I find the damage so low that I'd rather body pull.

I've heard that conquerors are supposed to be the evade based tank (as opposed to mitigation based for Guardians) but I'm not sure if evade is currently working properly.  Even so, I do alright tanking multiple mobs at level 45.

This class also gets the most complaints on the class forums.  I think they just need to increase DPS a little and buff up some of the group skills.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 05:46:56 PM »

I'm playing a Ranger and having fun.  I can usually have an enemy almost dead by the time they get into melee range, and even then I can hold my own pretty well against 2 others.  the problems start when it's more than 2, at which point I'm pretty much going to die.  I focused on the Sharpshooter tree which deals with bows (instead of the wayfarer one that deals with crossbows), and have no complaints about the feats it gives you, including adding to your range or adding to your off hand chance/damage.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:42:04 AM »

Conquerer to level 19 because it reminded me of my Paladin in WoW without the healing ability but a lot more DPS.  More or less I feel like he is an off tank/group buff kind of guy which is fine with me as I like to be a support guy or a damage guy (WoW rogue) but not have the responsibility as a main healer or tank although I have healing gear on my Pally in WoW if I have to fill that role in a 5 man.

My other character is a healer/caster of some kind from Stygia but I can't remember what his class is called.  He is only level 12 and is a lot harder to solo with than the Conquerer, I have to do a lot of quick bursts of damage then a quicksand to run back and let the heals over time spells work some before they come whack me again.  The first few levels I thought he was crazy overpowered but now with the normal 1v2, 1v3 play that seems to be in this game it's going to be hard not to have to group with him.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 12:47:46 AM »

I've found that I can survive solo pretty well with the Dark Templar, but I don't get a feeling that the life leeching stuff works as well as I wanted. 

Are you guys finding that you have way too many spells/combos/abilities?  As a level 20 Dark Templar I have 6 spells, 12 Combos and 13 Abilities.  There is no way I can keep all of that crap straight as it is and I fear it is only going to get worse the higher level I get.  Between all of that and potions and food/drinks, it's just a lot of crap to manage.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 01:39:03 AM »

I've only played enough to get a Bear Shaman to Level 14 and a Ranger to Level 5.

Bear Shaman has been tough from 10 to 14. I pretty much have the fight of my life whenever I go against two roughly equal opponents. This makes quite a few of the quests difficult, as many of them have clumps of at least two opponents that attack together. I have to pick and choose my way through quests carefully at the moment. I'm waiting for the shaman's power to start to increase at around Level 17 to 20.

After playing a bear shaman, the ranger in the early stages is like god mode. I can pretty much kill one enemy before they get to me, and if there are two, the other one falls in about three or four quick cuts.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:34 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 27, 2008, 12:47:46 AM

I've found that I can survive solo pretty well with the Dark Templar, but I don't get a feeling that the life leeching stuff works as well as I wanted.

The life leeches work over time, rather than an instant boost, plus they are damage dependent. I find that if I open with Blood for Aid (making the mob more susceptible to damage), then using 'Leech Life' to start the absorption, then dealing out the heavy damage combos...I'll get plenty of health coming back to me. Don't forget to use A Soul for our Feast too...it is just as effective as the leech combo, and great for groups.

I've maxed out Devouring Touch and Blighted Soul/Blighted Touch in the two DT feat trees, so that the extra unholy damage converts directly to healing.

Are you guys finding that you have way too many spells/combos/abilities?  As a level 20 Dark Templar I have 6 spells, 12 Combos and 13 Abilities.  There is no way I can keep all of that crap straight as it is and I fear it is only going to get worse the higher level I get.  Between all of that and potions and food/drinks, it's just a lot of crap to manage.

Not really, most of the combos you have by now and further are just improvments on the old ones. Most of the Auras are for at least 1 hour, so I don't find myself switching them that often. I just try to keep my stuff logically laid out across my hotbars...food isn't needed as you only need it hourly.

Here's how my junk is set.

Combat stances, and what would be non-combat stuff on the far right bar. Emergency stuff on the inner right. Big combos right horizontal. Covanents/Auras on the far left horizontal with a couple of specific combos towards the inside, namely the mana drain and charge. I'll eventually add and true 'spells' to the left bar and move the aura over to the expandable bars... they're able to take up to 20 buttons, so I think it'll be fine. smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:11:03 AM »

Quote from: Rich on May 27, 2008, 12:42:04 AM

My other character is a healer/caster of some kind from Stygia but I can't remember what his class is called.  He is only level 12 and is a lot harder to solo with than the Conquerer, I have to do a lot of quick bursts of damage then a quicksand to run back and let the heals over time spells work some before they come whack me again.  The first few levels I thought he was crazy overpowered but now with the normal 1v2, 1v3 play that seems to be in this game it's going to be hard not to have to group with him.

Tempest of Set?? I've got a lvl 18 of that kind, and she works like a charm. I never even use quicksand. You have your cobra stare which stuns as well, I can easily take out 3 mobs, sometimes 4 if they arent all my level. ToS are right now supposed to be the most unbalanced character types to play. Remember to have Depravation of Set or whatever its called on at all times, and use your HOT's before the battle, and in the battle to maximize output.

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »

ToS are considered imbalanced right now mostly due to the lack of a limit on their Idols.  You are supposed to only have one at a time with a 60 second timer and people are placing 6+ down so that any mob that comes near gets obliterated.

Regarding the large numbers of spells, combos and abilities, generally speaking you only need access to a few at a time.  Part of the joy for me is that different people playing the same class use different combo chains and spell attack chains.  You can pick and choose.

As posted in the other thread, I use the www.n52te.com so I have access at my fingertips to quite a few combos.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »

The nice thing about the Conqueror is that he's so versatile. You can totally spec them out in different ways.

I've got mine hardcore dual-wield. He focuses more on bleeding damage and quick strikes. There are others in the guild who have specced them out 2H, where they focus more on stuns and knockbacks. Either way is viable, and either way is lots of fun. The great thing is that even though I've focused on pure offense, I can drop back into defensive stance and still play a halfway decent tank role.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »

Some class NERFs.  Of course they're undocumented in the patch notes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »

I played my Necro to lvl 27 and my Barbarian to 28.

Necromancer. I love pet classes and always play them in every game that has them. I guess I am attracted to that split personality aspect of a pet class, when you have to manage your pet(s) AND your char at the same time. However AoC pet classes (and Necro in particular) are very different from other games in this regard. There is no tank pet, there is no aggro management, pets is, essentially, just a dot with a quirk. There is a spell that allows your pet to tank for 15 sec, but it's easy to pull the mob off the pet, you can't heal the pet, so it's not used much.

However, once you get used to this concept of a pet class, it's a lot of fun to play. A lot of AoE, a lot of damage - necro is very powerful in PvE. At the same time, they are probably the weakest PvP class at the moment due to several issues: no cc, except for a 3 sec fear, no healing/life tapping (6 hp every 5 sec from a talent is not helping much), dot damage as well as pet damage is completely negated by mages' damage reduction buffs (huge issue), etc.

There are also bugs and bug-like issues. Pets don't proc. You have to re-summon your pets every time you zone, get killed or log. Mana tap talent doesn't work. Pets' pathfinding needs improvement as they get lost quite often. Pets' control is not responsive at times (they often ignore "Pet Follow" command).

And as usual, as in every other game, it's VERY difficult to balance a pet class that uses dots to do damage. At the moment, necro's dots take time to kill the opponent, but necro doesn't have any tools to help him to survive during this time.

I am sure all these issues will get fixed eventually, but it will take some time, so as a result I've parked my necro for now.

Hehe, the post is getting long, so I'll just say that I rolled a barbarian and loved taking him to lvl 28. IMO this game was designed with a melee class in mind, spellcasters are there only because, well, it's a fantasy game. Of course, barbs have their share of bugs too, but nothing too drastic or annoying. I don't like  that barbs are getting pigeonholed into one spec (2H), since dual wield builds don't get much of cc (stuns and knockbacks), which is very important in PvE and is essential in PvP. But I like 2H weapons as much as dual wielding, so not a big deal for me.

Barbs have zero survivability (no heals or lifetaps, only light armor), but their stealth, respectable damage and various cc options allow them to handle a lot. Or run away if the things go the wrong way. Fighting 3 mobs of lvl+2 (at the same time) takes everything I have, but it's doable.

Lots of people say that stealth is broken atm and I completely disagree with it (in regards to lvl 30-ish PvE at least). I used to be gotten out of stealth by even lvl mobs all the time, but now I've got +16 Hiding on my gear and I can stealth to a lvl+1 mob and stealth-crit it 90% of the time.

Awesome game btw, I wish they fixed the bugs faster though. smile
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »

I don't like  that barbs are getting pigeonholed into one spec (2H), since dual wield builds don't get much of cc (stuns and knockbacks), which is very important in PvE and is essential in PvP.

This has me a bit worried with my Conqueror. I specced him dual wield, which has been fine in PvE since he is enough of a tank to not have to rely on stuns and knockbacks. However, I am concerned about end-game PvP, and not having those abilities.

Wondering if I should suck it up and respec now, or just say screw it and see what happens.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »

Yep, we share the same concerns, YK.

IMO when designing a class for PvP, one should make sure all "branches" of your class can get the job done, i.e. kill the enemy. Leaving DW builds with no CC - no snare, stun or knockback - means DW builds will not be able to keep their enemy in the melee range long enough to realise their DW advantage - increased DPS. What good is high damage if you can't get close enough to unleash it?

On the other hand, it's a complete theorycraft on my part here, based stricly on me reading the combo/feat descriptions and forums. I have no personal experience with DW at the moment and I will be more than happy to learn one day that both builds are viable in PvP.

There might also be some viable hybrid solutions, who knows. Switch weapon, stun, switch back kind of thing.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »

Wonder what the cost would be to respec ~40 points.  icon_eek

If I could afford it, I'd probably consider doing it. I've got a very nice 2-hander in my pack.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 27, 2008, 03:08:17 PM

I don't like  that barbs are getting pigeonholed into one spec (2H), since dual wield builds don't get much of cc (stuns and knockbacks), which is very important in PvE and is essential in PvP.

This has me a bit worried with my Conqueror. I specced him dual wield, which has been fine in PvE since he is enough of a tank to not have to rely on stuns and knockbacks. However, I am concerned about end-game PvP, and not having those abilities.

Wondering if I should suck it up and respec now, or just say screw it and see what happens.

I think DW is viable for PvP.  DW has 1 snare.  2H has 1 snare, 2 KD, 1 Stun.  The stun is useless in it's current implementation (takes so long to cast that you have no chance of countering a spell or anything unless you get lucky, and it lasts 1 second).  So lacking 2 KD on longish timers doesn't make DW gimp.  I don't even think a conquerors main role in PvP is CC, there are other classes that can do better CC.  As a DW, you have the ability to snare and you have speed/stamina buffs to try stay with the target.  You also have higher single target DPS than 2H from what I heard.  Don't forget how huge stamina is in PvP and that aura in DW that regens stamina is a very uber skill.  A lot of times, PvP comes down to a battle of who manages stamina better.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

Besides, you also need to consider what kind of pvp you are going to be doing the most. 1v1, GvG and siege PvP will most likely require different builds.

I wouldn't respec right now. Stick with your current build, master it, see how you can use it better. This will help to come up with a better build when you do respec (DW or 2H, doesn't matter).
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 07:12:36 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with him then. Besides, I think we already have some 2H specced conquerors in the guild, so we may have a need for a different spec down the line.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »

Assassin.........the red-headed step child of AoC.  No really....Is this the forgotten class? you very rarely hear people talking about them yet they are the most squishy, un-needed class in the game.
At lv22 a lv20 mob can detect my hiding skills from the same distance as if I didn't have it on.
Two level 20 mobs can give me a heart attack its so close...

Without the hiding skill working, and no damage mitigation to speak of, you have a perfect recipe for a gimped, useless class.

I'm gonna hang in there with it because I have masochistic tendancies............but man, do they need some lovin.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »

DW has 1 snare.  2H has 1 snare, 2 KD, 1 Stun.

Just to clarify, in my original post I was talking about Barbarians, not Conquerors. I know nothing about Conquerors, but 2H build gives the barbs the following:

- adds a snare to a stun (not sure if a stun can be used by DW)
- adds root to a knockback (KB by itself is a 2H ability only)
- adds a short-ranged (not melee!) snare
- adds a stun
- adds immunity to stuns, KBs, snares (for some short time)
- and maybe something else I don't remember now smile

That's quite a few PvP improvements. Maybe I am wrong and DW spec enhance other aspects of PvP, but the above is hard to pass on.

But that's the exciting part of a new game - testing various builds, seeing what works...
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »

At lv22 a lv20 mob can detect my hiding skills from the same distance as if I didn't have it on.

See my post above about the + Hiding gear. My barb used to have the same issues with stealth, getting +16 to Hiding (at lvl 28) helped me DRAMATICALLY. Yesterday I was sneaking up to lvl+1 mobs during the day with no issues. Don't approach mobs head on, I think it matters.

Then again, I noticed it also depends on a mob. I might be wrong, but it looks like snakes and wolves see me no matter what, so far. The lvl+1 mobs I was talking about above were lvl 29 spiders in the Valley.

The point is don't get discouraged, maybe the game is designed around needing +Hiding items for it to be effective (thus compromising other stats, which makes it balanced). Otherwise everyone would be stealthing around with minimum effort. Hopefully.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 07:58:40 PM »

I just did a feat respec at lvl 28 and it cost me 50 copper.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 27, 2008, 07:39:09 PM

Assassin.........the red-headed step child of AoC.  No really....Is this the forgotten class? you very rarely hear people talking about them yet they are the most squishy, un-needed class in the game.
Two level 20 mobs can give me a heart attack its so close...

Without the hiding skill working, and no damage mitigation to speak of, you have a perfect recipe for a gimped, useless class.

I'm gonna hang in there with it because I have masochistic tendancies............but man, do they need some lovin.

Hide works fine.  If it's daylight, you have trouble sneaking.  That's just part of life I guess, realism yes, but it makes it that much harder as an assassin.  While I do agree that we need some help and are very, very squishy, I have been fine solo from about level 30 on.  Now I can even take on small groups of even cons without being in a panic.  Placement of mobs is key. 

Part of the reason I've not had many problems though is that I've played a stealther in dangerous waters in pretty much every game for years.  I go everywhere stealthed.  I used to go in raid dungeons solo just to see how far in I could sneak.  Got pretty good at avoiding aggro.

Feat respec at 45 is 2 silver fwiw

At 47 I found that if it's nighttime I can actually stand inside of a boss mob and not be detected.  The key as mentioned before is to have higher hide than the mobs level x 10.

edit:  I'll add that what the class REALLY needs is a snare/root and/or a way to hit people with combos even while they are moving.   I have all these cool 4-5 part combos that have a nice effect at the end and the target is either dead before I get to the effect, or they moved and half the combo misses them.  I am getting very frustrated with people running around when being attacked too instead of letting the melee people do their damage to kill the target, but that's a whole different issue slywink
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:04:58 PM by Harkonis » Logged
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 09:01:37 PM »

After reading the conqueror boards on the official forum, I think I'll respec 2H after all. The general consensus is that the 2H builds are ultimately better for PvP, aside from certain isolated cases (dueling a Guardian, for example). While the damage can't come close to DW for one-on-one targets, the increased range is nice for crowd control.

Since PvE is largely centered around multiple mobs, and PvP is a significant portion of the end game, it seems like it has the slight edge overall.

If there had been significant cost involved in a respec, I'd likely have just stayed with DW, but at those rock-bottom prices there's really no reason not to at least try out both builds and see which one I prefer.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »

RE: stealth, yeah I've been paying closer attention to the light gem on the bottom of the minimap.  It makes a big difference as to when you can get away with sneaking up on critters.  It is much easier inside than out.  What you are wearing is also supposed to have an effect on how easy you are to detect.  Not sure how to judge that.

On running when being attacked, the problem is that if your real level is far below the mobs you are fighting (as when mentored), you get about 2 maybe 3 hits before you are dead.  If you run, you can lead the mob to the tank, or use terrain to get away.  If you stand still you will be dead.  <shrug>  If you want I can try standing still next time it happens, but I'll be hoping there's a priest with res nearby.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on May 27, 2008, 09:20:51 PM

RE: stealth, yeah I've been paying closer attention to the light gem on the bottom of the minimap.  It makes a big difference as to when you can get away with sneaking up on critters.  It is much easier inside than out.  What you are wearing is also supposed to have an effect on how easy you are to detect.  Not sure how to judge that.

On running when being attacked, the problem is that if your real level is far below the mobs you are fighting (as when mentored), you get about 2 maybe 3 hits before you are dead.  If you run, you can lead the mob to the tank, or use terrain to get away.  If you stand still you will be dead.  <shrug>  If you want I can try standing still next time it happens, but I'll be hoping there's a priest with res nearby.

You don't have to just sit there and take it, but you should be ready to stop running when you see a melee damage dealer running at the mob slywink  I can trigger the beginnings of a combo on the run so that I can trigger the finisher when I get there, but the finisher roots me.

Heh, of course sometimes I get the feeling you do it on purpose, like when you mes the guy right before I sneak attack so I miss lol
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 02:38:31 AM »

Hey now, that was an honest mistake.

Mind you I did find it pretty funny at the time.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »

I'm going back to dual wield on my Conqueror.

2H is very effective, has a lot of neat stuns and knockbacks, but I can't get used to the slower speed and the fact that my enemies aren't dying as fast as they used to. I died more last night trying to master 2H combat than I did the entire 37 levels before when I was dual-wielding. I'm sure I could get used to it over time, but I guess you can't teach this old dog new tricks.  icon_biggrin
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »

I'll take a stab at the Demonologist, but I'm only up to level 22 so I'll just elaborate up to leaving Tortage.

A demonologist plays a lot like a Warlock/Mage from WoW to give some comparison.  Up untill you get your first area of effect (AoE) spell, combat is basically 1 spell spamming till mob death.  Fortunately Demo's are slightly overpowered in the 1-10 range and that one spell will take out a mob in 2-3 hits.  With mana regen and casting concentration maxed at all times things went really smooth.

The first pet is pretty worthless imo, and asking it to do any sort of meaningful damage is like asking a 3 year old to do calculus.  From what I've seen, it's spells only hit for ~10 damage with a 3 second cast, and applies a debuff to the mob.  It likes to cast spells on recently killed mobs too so at least I don't have to teabag them.  The extra mana group buff it has is enough for 1 spell, and in longer fights at near level 20 it doesn't help all that much.

I was having a lot of trouble with 2 or more mobs at equal or 1-2 levels higher than mine.  Conversely, mobs 1-2 levels lower were laughable, and I could easily take out 6-7 in two shots with my fire AoE spell.

One really nice spell is Storm Chains.  It roots the target for around 5 seconds, while doing damage (only 3-4 a second, but still more than the pet).  Having a stationary target for those 5 seconds as a caster made all the boss level mobs trivial because by the time Chains wore off, they were already at around 50% health, and any minions they summoned were easily taken out by the 90 degree cone spell or the large radius AoE fire/electric spells.

Looks like I'll get a new pet at 25, so that should probably help a bit, let's hope it can actually do some damage, or at least hold aggro.

Just a little hiccup.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 01:11:04 PM »

as I understand it, pets dont aggro, all aggro goes to the caster, right?

A new one
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »

My Havoc Demonologist is up to level 44 now.  (Havoc = lightning tree focus)

The main spells i play with are:

Shock: instant cast 7s recharge low to medium damage.

Shockstrike: couple seconds to cast, medium to very high damage.  Has a sizable damage range but usually hits in the middle for what i'd call "high" damage.

Shockblast: AoE lightning shot, takes a couple seconds to cast.  Medium to high damage, 3s recharge.

Total of 8 self buffs including the one provided by the pet.

Feat Spells: Living Thunderstorm: summons tornado pet that collides with a mob and dies while doing awsome damage in one shot to the target, also freaking awsome for pvp (1.5 minute refresh timer)    Agonizing jolts.  10 second duration channelled spell does 5 or 6 small to high damage jolts of damage throughout to the target and slows target by 50% of it's speed for the duration of the spell...spell seems to keep channeling even if the target runs out of range during the middle of the cast so as long as they're in range to cast it, you get em slowed and damaged for the full 10 seconds.  Awsome pvp spell.  Works good in PvE too as it's extremely low mana for great damage over a short time.

Okay, so the pets the demonologist gets are apparently largely just for the buffs they give you....they do shit all damage.  Even the level 4 pet doesn't do much damage, but there are uses.  The level 40 pet increases all regens in and out of combat...by a lot!  So he really does help.  His damage is better, but still low.  And you can upgrade him via a feat to do a little more and to also increase your targets vulnerability to lightning attacks and that is very cool.  So i'm glad i have him.  I didn't consider the pet useful until level 40 though.

Squishiness.  The demonologist is VeRy SqIsHy.  At level 44 i have about 1100 hit points, maybe a tad more, with my gear and buffs on.  Most warriors can utterly decimate me in pvp 1 on 1.  Most archers can decimate me 1 on 1.  Having hands on a good healing potion gives me a chance.  This class is definitely not meant for 1 on 1 pvp.  Nuking from the rear is where you do your best by far and it's a good best.  You can really change a fight with your nukes if you manage not to get ambushed by an assassin or charged by a warrior.

Oddly, i think most demonologists can 2 shot each other in pvp...talk about squishy.  I really recommend lots of hide skill for demonologists.  Hiding will save your ass till the fight starts and then they aren't looking for you and you can often nuke away for quite a while.

But anyhow...most of you don't care as much  about pvp right now.

Demonologists solo great as long as they don't have to go up against more than 3 mobs of even level.  And they can take 2 mobs up for a few levels over them.  The AoE spells allow killing of multiple mobs pretty well. 

The main trick to surviving PvE as a demonologist is always keeping your buffs up, especially the 5 minute duration buff which gives you a really really really awsome damage shield.  At level 44 it protects me against 47.5 damage per hit up to a total of 801 damage and refreshes the shield every 25 seconds.  That's awsome, it totally allows you to survive soloing in PvE where you otherwise wouldn't at all...NEVER forget to keep refreshing this shield or you WILL die before you know what happened.

There's a final spell worth mentioning, is one which grants you 10 seconds of highly increased damage to your lightning spells (about a 60% increase I think) but which damages your health in return.  You lose about half your total health over the 10 seconds.  Use then when you're confident you're fairly safe and have a high hit point target you need to help take down really fast..  Cool spell, unfortunately i'm not convinced the damage buff always works at the moment.

Overall, i love the class, but i do get frustrated with how fast it dies (nearly instantly) when ambushed in pvp.  Really must group up as much as possible and hide when not in combat or moving cross country.  Just be careful using hide with your pet out...you can still get hit and uncovered that way cause someone will target your pet which always stands right by you with an AoE...thankfully that's not nearly as bad as getting surprised with a charge or ambush.  If soloing and you need to hide, dismiss your pet instantly as you hide and move away from where the pet dies quickly.

It's your typical high damage, squishy nuker..  What else can i say?  I can solo mobs 4-5 levels above me 1 at a time and i can kill most even level bosses pretty easily and I can solo groups of 3 even level mobs.  And I carry lots of health potions for when i get in trouble cause squishy people get in trouble fast when they do...

Oh yea, i can say this, every group needs a mage type.  That uber  damage shield works for the entire group:)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 02:26:01 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »

ok, now this is just plain sick

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TVKqX-BRml0

9 chain kill

He spams the insta cast HOT and does AOE damage with each cast
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 03:43:31 PM »

That seems brutally overpowered compared to what i've seen of other classes abilities so far...brutally overpowered... 

Especially now that they added a cool down to the demonologists fucking AoE...wtf. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »

Had a nice fight today.  Saw a Murder Herd (they are pretty much KOS to the whole server) so I stealthed up and.... missed my stealth attack.  icon_eek

Thought he was a soldier class but apparently he was a bear shaman as I found out when I got him to 50% and he then was at 100%  crybaby

Here's the video
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 07:22:22 PM »

Hark your main is an assassin right?
I don't PvP yet.......but do you have any insight to a good leveling build for an Assassin?
I'm near mid-20's...but like ive said before Im anything but a killing machine. I get sweaty palms facing two mobs of the same level.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »

http://feats.goonheim.com/assassin#t0a5b5c5d3e5g5h3i2k1l1n3o2p1r5s5u3w5x1y5B1t1t2a5c2d1e1f1k3

will be my final spec.

Get one point in Excellent Balance then you can ignore the general tree until much later.

Flesh Rot is the second tier I grab, the damage per application is small but it adds up fast and is 'free' damage.  We come back for the Vile Poisons much later, it's a big boost, but we need other things more.

Third tier you want to get both of these ASAP.  The 10% offhand chance is pretty big dps jump and the Cat's Paw dodge boost is used everytime it's up it seems.  Between a potion, double tapping back and popping cat's paw I have lucked out and taken 6 even cons followed by 3 adds.

The order you do the next couple is up to you, atrophy is very nice panic (and great in pvp, 30% damage reduction for a few seconds).  Just make sure that when you hit 30-31 you have Golden Lotus and Snap Kick.  Those two abilities together account for about 80% of my survivability.  Cat's Paw makes up the rest.  If you pop Golden Lotus and a potion, then Cat's paw and when Cat's paw runs out you snap kick, that usually buys you enough time of no damage + healing to be back to full health even when surrounded.

Blindside is pretty huge for stamina regen, second wind in the general tab is also good, but I couldn't fit them both in.  I'm still a bit torn on pvp usefulness of Blindside though and might end up going for the timer reduction on Second Wind.  The stamina drain component of blindside is pretty hefty though and can be useful in keeping a melee from using combos on you or any class from running.  It's as close to a snare/stun as we really get frown

In PvP assassins are a bit gimp in the long run because unless it's a really squishy caster (necro and demonologist) if they want to get away, they will.  I've taken people down to 25% with the opening salvo from stealth only to have them pop a stam and health potion and run away ignoring my crossbow shots.  We have no way at all of keeping people in range.  You basically have to group with another class to be effective against anything other than a squishy caster.  Even then most casters have a damage shield that can pop your stealth if you get close so they can be rough too.

Once you hit 50 you can respec to move some points around top loading your two new 50 feats and greatly increasing your total dps.  By the time you're done you have an AOE confuse, and plenty of damage that scales as your target is closer to death.  This allows you to sneak attack them down to the point that they trigger the impending doom and then you do a combo or two of Slow Death Strike which puts massive DOT on them.  The whole time your Lotus Weapon and Flesh Rot are stacking and getting larger as they near death.

It's a fun class for me and can be very effective in many situations, however it does take a pretty large amount of skill to play well and is pretty useless in more situations that it is good in.  For example right now any caster can out sprint us due to the mechanics behind sprinting (it's a % drain for sprinting, but an absolute regen so players with lower total stam regen more quickly to sprint again).  Plus a ranger can do more with a single ranged combo than we can up close while stealthed which just seems a bit broken.  They also get snares, root traps and plenty of other utility.  I'd personally suggest that most people that like rogue-ish things would probably be more happy with a ranger or a barb than an assassin. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: