http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone want to add to an XBox 360 Live Tutorial?  (Read 2030 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2005, 06:10:04 AM »

Okay,

I know almost nothing - can anyone add to that?  I have several people who've sent me friends' invites, I've accepted them all, and I've answered a few PM's - but have yet to play online.  I'm still wandering around trying to figure stuff out...

Anyone want to add what they know - or ask specific questions - please do it here!  Like, if someone sends me a friend invite, is accepting it all I have to do to someday play with them? Do I have to send them an invite back?

That sort of thing... help us newbs out, please!  :?

And, thanks!  Cool

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 07:20:37 AM »

All you have to do is accept the friends invite and they will then show up in your friends list.  That's all there is to it.  Now you can see if they are online or off as well as what game they are playing and invite them to join you in a game from there (if they are online).  You can also send them text or voice messages (even if they are offline).

There is no need to send an invite back or even acknowledge it.  When you accept it you will be on their friends list and vice-versa (unless they cancel the invite).

In a game you can receive invites to play, say PGR3, even if you are playing CoD (even offline if your Xbox is connected permanetly).  It's very smooth and seemless.

All this is going from Xbox mk1 but I am assured it is just as smooth and even easire with the 360!

Of course if you have more questions there are a ton of battle-hardened Live members here to point you in the right direction.  It's clear where you are coming from -- the convoluted PS2 online experience -- but believe me, Xbox Live is so easy you just think you're doing it wrong because you can't fathom how simple it is to do. biggrin

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 07:24:06 AM »

And now my questions!

When I get a 360 will it know I am already a Live member?
Will I have to do anything to transfer my info?

I plan to keep my original Xbox and go online on occassion.  Can I do this without screwing anything up (i.e. using my Live account on Xbox 1 and 360, obviously not at the same time)?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 03:19:20 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
And now my questions!

I plan to keep my original Xbox and go online on occassion.  Can I do this without screwing anything up (i.e. using my Live account on Xbox 1 and 360, obviously not at the same time)?

Basically, when you turn your 360 on for the first time, you will be asked the e-mail address that your Xbox Live account is linked to.  You enter that and within seconds, you will become an Xbox Live 360 member! It's really simple and painless.  

As for your second question, I believe that you can go between the two boxes with the account recovery thing, but I'm not sure.  I know people are doing it, I'm just not sure how much trouble it is.  I just went ahead and got a second Live account for my original Xbox and migrated my original account over to the 360.

If you haven't done so yet, I would definitely head over to Xbox.com and link your e-mail address to your Xbox Live account.  It will make the transition to the 360 much easier.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 03:45:42 PM »

HINTS THAT NO ONE ASKED FOR:

MINIDASH FUNTIME!
Hitting the X360 logo to get the mini-dash (half-screen on the left)is where you can find stuff that you can't find anywhere else...
  • if you select your gamertag you can actually go onto live and CHANGE it.I'm lookin' at YOU, Knightshade... slywink get your ULTIMA-te tag back you deserter... Tongue
  • This half-screen comes up even when you're on the FULL dashboard. Use it to your advantage.
  • You can also start your custom music from that panel, and it will replace any music ingame as well.
  • Note that the volume of the music is also controlled from there.
  • You can invite online gamers into private chat while still enjoying single OR multiplayer games and still be able to chat in multiplayer.

KEEP YER CHANNEL, PRIVATE!!
The chat channels in the Live mini-dash are awesome. Use em, it makes the games you play so much more fun. Lockdown and I wasted an afternoon together just shootin' the shit. Too bad you can't have more than 1 friend per channel.
  • The live Mini-dash gives you 4 private (1 on 1) chat channels PLUS the games own multiplayer channel. (so you can bounce between in-game chat and your own live private chats)
  • You could invite someone you're playing with (in the multiplayer game)into a secure channel to discuss strategy, or just shoot the shit without having to air your dirty laundry.
  • Or you could chat with mytocles whilst she plays Zuma's revenge and you are downloading demos. Whatever.
  • When people switch to and from your established private channels, it lets you know. It also lets them know when you're AFC(away from channel). I made that up. You like? I *knew* you would. biggrin
  • Whenever a Live indicator is up (such as "Devil is paging you" or "Purge Joined your Private Chat", if you hit the X360 logo button while the indicator is up it will take you back to that channel.
  • You can hit it afterwards (if you were too slow) to get into the mini-dash and bounce over there manually.
  • from the mini-dash you can see the state of all your channels and who is in them.

WIRELESS INSANITY
Some tips for the wireless controller folks.
  • If you need to synch a controller, there is a tiny white button near the play-n-charge connector on the top. Hit that and the controller will try to re-synch to the xbox360.
  • I'm hoping you all have noticed the quadrant style light; it corresponds to screens you pull up. So you know which of your 3 jerk friends keeps holding up the damned game so they can change the music.
  • In case you hadn't noticed, if you hold down the X360 logo on your controller, you can either turn off the console, or just turn your controller off.
  • If you need to charge your controller but don't want your system on (using the plug and play kit), press the power button once (gently) on the console while it is on.
  • If the controller needs a charge and is connected with the kit at the time, the system will power off but the controller will still charge (you can tell with the light on the cable kit).
  • Do NOT show your girlfriend the wireless controller with the vibration. 'nuff said. (or do, you dirty, dirty person, you... :twisted: )

One other thing... If you have an HDTV, be sure to throw the switch on the cable that connects to the xbox360 from TV to HDTV. slywink See? Now it doesn't look like ass.  biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
Quote from: "stiffler"
And now my questions!

Basically, when you turn your 360 on for the first time, you will be asked the e-mail address that your Xbox Live account is linked to.  You enter that and within seconds, you will become an Xbox Live 360 member! It's really simple and painless.  

As for your second question, I believe that you can go between the two boxes with the account recovery thing, but I'm not sure.  I know people are doing it, I'm just not sure how much trouble it is.  I just went ahead and got a second Live account for my original Xbox and migrated my original account over to the 360.

If you haven't done so yet, I would definitely head over to Xbox.com and link your e-mail address to your Xbox Live account.  It will make the transition to the 360 much easier.

After you switch you account over to XBox 360 - by the way you can only do it quick if you've linked it to a passport account, otherwise you have to enter more info, but it's no big deal - you can play on either system at any time.  I do it often.  You don't need to do any kind of account recovery or anything.  The only thing you lose is the ability to mange your live account through the original XBox dashboard since it will now be stored externally.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 10:10:51 PM »

I'd gladly fly down to where you live and teach you in person, as long as I can play it for a few hours afterwards biggrin

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 03:59:45 AM »

1) Prior to getting the 360, get a cheap USB keyboard. It is worth it.
2) Make sure you link your existing Live account to a MS passport account. It's required now.
3) If you get the hard drive version (and there is no reason not to), make sure you go through it and clean out all the movies/demos you don't want, so you can clear some needed space.
4) Make SURE that your Live account is paid up well before switching. I had let my live account lapse, then paid for it the day of getting the 360. The account reactivated and I started the 360 setup. Everything "seemed" fine, but my gamertag wouldn't transfer. I could go through the whole thing and pass all the tests, but when it started to download my gamertag, I kept getting "cannot connect to Live errors". I have been waiting for a fix since 12/16 and still haven't heard anything. I called back today and spoke to a manager. He explained that they were having problems with people whose account had been re-signed and transferred in the same day. He also said that in some cases, they had to actually cancel/delete the account and give a refund. He told me he was going to send another message to MS escalated support to see if they could get a move on it. He also told me something I wasn't aware of... Such I have the premium 360 I get 3 free accounts with 30 day trial. I already started one about a week ago after my 3rd tech support call. (Everytime I call to get a status, I get someone different who tries to help me, by having me do the same things over and over. They all kept blaming my connect or network, even though I tried hooking right to my cable modem. I finally setup a new trial account to prove to myself that it wasn't on my end. The trial account works fine so far, no problems.) That leaves me with 2 more 30 days and about 2.5 weeks on this one. Hopefully it will be fixed by then.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 08:29:03 PM »

I must've been sick when these were posted and missed them, so I just noticed the last replies...

I'd gladly fly down to where you live and teach you in person, as long as I can play it for a few hours afterwards
Darren, you know you're welcome here any time - ANY time! We even have guitars here, lol - no, not me - I was deprived of music when young  :cry:
Stop in at PEI and knock on Sean Murphy's (Wookiee007) door first, get my PS2 back - and you can move in here, lol!

Punisher - I have a USB keyboard for my PS2 - should work, right?
Also, I don't need any space yet, is there any other reason, like faster loads, to clean out the other stuff?

You can invite online gamers into private chat while still enjoying single OR multiplayer games and still be able to chat in multiplayer.
Lol, Purge - I'm still trying to memorize your info - but I guarantee I can't do this one... it's only for people who can still walk and talk at the same time! I can, however, if not in too crazy of a place, pause my game and chat...  :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 05:17:20 PM »

New question:  Wasn't there a way to get Japanese demos?  How?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »

Yes there is... it's under the console gaming thread... it's been a while. I've got a jpn live account and a german one now. (I'm semi-fluent in german so that works out well for me).

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11654

http://www.gamersreports.com/article/19/
Here's the juicy stuff:

First off you should go to the passport site : http://www.passport.com/. Make sure you are not logged in, and click on the "create hotmail account" link. Now, here is the important part, the site will ask you where you are from, select either Japan, the US, or Europe. Remember, this is the country where the demo is available, not where you really live! You will require some information regarding those countries so Microsoft will allow you ro register the e-mail address.

Here is the info we used:

United States
Postal Code: 10012
State: New York, City New York City
Phone Number: 1-866-530-1234

Japan
Postal Code: 150-2345
Province: Tokyo-to
Phone Number: 3201-3331

Germany
Postal Code: 54292
City: Trier
Phone Number: 065112345

You can use any valid address and phone number from the country where the demo is available.

Once you have filled out the info and applied for the Hotmail account, activate it and turn on your Xbox360. Press the guide button and choose "switch profile" (X Button). Now create a new profile, and a new Xbox Live Account, make it a Silver account instead of a Gold (so you dont have to pay). Next you will require the phone number mentioned above to use your passport. You could theoretically take care of all the passport stuff on the Xbox, but it will go much faster on PC with a keyboard.

Well, that is about it folks! Pretty sweet huh? The cool thing is that you can disable (they actually are disabled from the start if you have already a gold membership installed on your box) the auto sign for the foreign accounts, hence leaving your primary "Real" account hassle-free. Ejoy the demos!

*Update*: Apparently some of this info comes from
here, the reader who submitted it did not mention the source. This info has been floating around gaming forums for sometime, we figured it was time for a site-based tutorial.

There is a video demo of a new JPRG called Zaria that was posted 2 days ago.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: