http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 07:29:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone still playing SWG?  (Read 1624 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2004, 07:43:43 PM »

Heh heh heh. smile

I was thinking about this one the other day, and while I can't afford any month-to-month game now, I was curious whether people are still playing it. Once I heard SOE was finally doing the combat revamp, thereby changing the core of a game released last year, then I figured that if they manage to get that part of the game right then it might actually be fun again. Then I remembered the endless grinding of skills... the completely unfun crafting schemes that relied almost exclusively on macros, the rampant Jedi at a time when only a handful existed (two of which being Sith Lords) and the AOLer speak amongst players.

Then I wondered why I wondered about it in the first place... Guess I'm just a die-hard Star Wars fan at heart. smile But is anyone out there still playing it, and if so what do you still think?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 07:56:54 PM »

I think Drazzil is the last man standing.

I gave up before my free month ended.  Two words: running simulator.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 09:46:31 PM »

I gave up before my free month ended too.  It's a shame, it almost ruined my on MMOs.  Glad I took a chance on WoW, since I love that one.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 10:06:49 PM »

I played for a full year, and for the most part enjoyed it. I won't argue I put it down for a few months when I realized vehicles were coming soon. At that point the fun factor went through the roof for me, but then the maintenance on the vehicles killed it again. I hate stuff like maintenance and decay. All I want to do is run around and have fun in the Star Wars universe. I don't want my stuff rotting away on me, or my bike flaming because I don't have $8500 credits to repair it.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Buldrhm
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 01:18:07 PM »

i am still playing, spending most of my time in space.  Mostly because I am addicted to looking at my monitor, and that is the newest game i have.  I do love the game though.  And for all the bashing it gets, there are still a lot of people on the servers.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 04:24:34 PM »

Im not going to get it, but I am curious- can you get the expansion then spend all your time in space fighting?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 04:28:21 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
I gave up before my free month ended too.  It's a shame, it almost ruined my on MMOs.  Glad I took a chance on WoW, since I love that one.

Exactly the same here. I felt I had basically flushed $60 down the toilet with SWG. It took about 5 diffrent friends telling me to give WoW a try, and I finally did. This is the first MMO I can actually see myself getting to the highest level in.

Kinda wish EQ2 hadn't come out at the same time. Would have liked to at least give that a try but one MMO is more than enough.
Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 05:00:30 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Im not going to get it, but I am curious- can you get the expansion then spend all your time in space fighting?

Yes you can, but you have to have the original game also. Space is unbelievable though. The setting is incredible. And the missions can get insane.

I'm still playing, but not as often. WoW is just so much more fun right now. I took a break from SWG when City of Heroes came out. I was having a blast in CoH, but it was getting a little repetitive. Then, I had some RL friends get SWG in June of this year, I got back in to show them the ropes, and got hooked again. It was fun to actually help new guys level, and see the sights.

I still have toons on Scylla now, but I don't have alot of faith in SOE. They've been promising the Combat Revamp since December 2003, and it's no closer now than it was then. The rumor around the SWG community is that LucasArts is going to take it over in May when SOE's contract expires. Oh, I hope so. SOE doesn't give a flying rat's ass about the majority of the players that are in the game. They have catered to the cry-baby Jedi's for the last 6 months, and it's ridiculous. They did an entire update for the Jedi only. Are you kidding me?

Sorry for the rant, it's just that SOE took a great idea, and just absoultely screwed the pooch.

I'm sure that EQ2 is probably a really nice game, but since it's run by SOE, there was no way in hell I was going anywhere near it. I think NCSoft actually listens to the community as a whole. The squeaky wheel(s) aren't always going to be greased if it isn't in the community's best interest. I remember when a couple of patches broke some things, and NCSoft actually rolled the servers back to correct problems. In SWG, they have a Test server, and when bugs are reported there, they still roll the patch out, with the attitude of fixing it later. WTF is up with that?

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 07:10:33 PM »

I'm not sure I have more faith in LucasArts over SOE, but there's no way they could screw it up any more than SOE did. I recall the flame wars that would errupt in the SWG forums and while there were way too many asshats for my tastes, they would frequently bring valid points to bear. The devs would then ignore them and do what they wanted. Several of the classes would get nerfs because they weren't balanced to begin with, then when people would bitch and complain, other classes would get nerfed. Also, keep this in mind: Why does everyone in SWG demand buffs of the doctors? Because it's frickin' impossible to fight ANYTHING without being buffed to the gills. The default health meters are a joke, and even if all three are balanced, you're facing off against monsters that are three to five times your strength while somehow being at the same level as you.

I want to know how at level 2 Combat, I'm supposed to square off against something that is supposedly similar in level to me, yet is 5 times stronger and has a much larger health bar? Is that balance? Oh wait, it is to SOE. Stupid people.

And that's not even touching the joke that are Jedi. How many are there per server? Thousands now? Weren't there, like, less than FIVE in the same time period in the movies, with two of those being Sith Lords? Wait, I'm going on established canon and not the gripes of a 13-year-old punkass cheating bitch like so many of the SWG tools.

WHY AM I STILL INTERESTED IN PLAYING THIS GAME?!?!?!

/snaps

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 03:24:11 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
WHY AM I STILL INTERESTED IN PLAYING THIS GAME?!?!?!

/snaps

Come to the Dark Side and play WoW, Mitch. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: