http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 10:03:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in Vanguard? - Gulgrethor is the GT server -  (Read 19088 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »

Some random thoughts:

I played for a few hours last night after finally being able to log in to the game.  I set the graphics to 'Highest Quality' and got 15 FPS, 'Balanced' gives me 30 or so and 'Lowest' gives me 60 (for reference I have an older P4 3.2, 2 gig RAM and 6800 w/256).

I didn't run into any bugs that I noticed so far. 

I couldn't find anyone in the Corsairs online but I'm not sure if I was using the '/who' command right.  I was on between 9pm and 1 am EST.

I was surprised how quickly the game loads when I log in.  Also it is very Alt-Tab friendly.

Tried some diplomacy and chose outfitting-  the little mini games are kind of neat.

Made it to level 5 or 6 as a Blood Mage.

I guess I'm going to have to buy the strategy guide (of course I don't see any available though) to understand a lot more.  The manual that comes with the regular edition of the game is very basic (it doesn't even include a keyboard layout or describe the races).  Did the CE have more info in it?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2007, 04:14:46 PM »

Damn would love to know what the difference is between you rFPS and mine, we seem to ahve the same specs, 3.2Ghz 7800 video card, 4 Gig RAM and drivers updated for sound and video.  I did "hear" GMs saying to the world they had to restart various sections, perhaps I was in a bad section?

Am also running dual monitors so perhaps that explains a least part of the difference.

I can tell this game could interest me much more than WoW, but the same could be said about Horizons had they fixed it/built it right.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

I was in the Dark Elf starting zone and there didn't seem to be alot going on, so that could account for the difference in FPS.  I'm sure once it gets more crowded the FPS will take a hit.

Because I can,
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2007, 03:04:51 PM »

I followed Vanguard's development with a lot of interest and even got a private beta key.  I participated on their forums.  But the more I read about this game, the less likely I think I am to buy it. 

It seems like many of the old conventions of EQ1 - even things that EQ2 did away with because they were annoyances, not "challenges" - have been brought back.  Things like naked corpse runs, large XP hits from deaths, mob training and mob camping were not fun, nor were they challenging.  They just sucked...and now they're back.  There's a reason that crap fell by the wayside.

It also seems to cater to the truly hardcore player - one who plays for many, many hours per day.  Things like houses seem to be out of reach for the more casual player.  From what I've read about crafting, it seems like crafting is unduly complex - a system that EQ2 got rid of about 6-8 months back.  I've read that soloing becomes almost impossible in the 30s.  Now I don't generally LIKE to solo, running around questing with other players almost requires you to fall in with a group/guild and all of you stay close to the same levels.  Otherwise, you spend a ton of time just LFG.  And that's tough for a semi-casual player.

I'm not defining "casual" as an hour per logon - I'm defining casual as someone who will log on and play 2, 3 or 4 hours at a time, but can't do that every day.

I hope that these impressions are mistaken, but from everything I've read so far, Vanguard won't be a purchase for me.  It sounds like it will try to cater to a hardcore base (like Eve Online), which may be a more successful short-term strategy than trying to go "casual" and taking on WoW.  However, I think there will be a huge market for a more casual MMORPG in a couple of months as folks get to 70 in BC and get tired of doing the same things again, but it likely won't be Vanguard who will take advantage of that market opportunity.  Perhaps LOTOR...

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on February 02, 2007, 03:04:51 PM

However, I think there will be a huge market for a more casual MMORPG in a couple of months as folks get to 70 in BC and get tired of doing the same things again, but it likely won't be Vanguard who will take advantage of that market opportunity.  Perhaps LOTOR...

I think you might be right about this.  Depending, of course, on people willing to feed their addiction by another drug.  The current drug is WoW, and I personally think it will be interesting to see if people will switch to LotR for a different flavor of what is basically the same thing.  I am going to guess that a respectable amount of folks will.

I also agree with the sentiment that Vanguard is a whole different ball-of-wax entirely.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »

More on my adventures in Vanguard

I tried to play my Dark Elf Dread Knight, however the DE area was fairly crowded and frame rate was awful.  I tried everything including working throught he TenTon Hammer tweak guide and on highest performance setting I was getting a whopping 11 FPS that slowed to a crawl often.  Did run into Knightshade refining his diplomacy  (which is a very very fun part of the game so far).

So I decided to see if other areas were the same as far as performance.  Logged on my Vulmane druid and FPS on High Perf was in the 40s and 50s.  i was able to play on balanced in the 20s and 30s.  The druid so far is a killing machine!

I hope they figure out the performance issues as i can see that being the thing that drives people away.  At least in WoW you are not fighting performance for the most part now...yes I remember the beggining very well.

As far as innovation what I see so far that is very different.  Bard song creation, you get songs as you level but combine them into songs, a main melody and then a number of sub melodies so you can mix and match to make songs to your liking.  Each song provides different bonus attributes.

second, diplomacy, not only is it a mini-game but they tie conversation to it that fleshes out the world around you.  It has strategy in card selection for your "hand" and then strategy on how to play and respond.....and it plays a role in the world that does not involve killing!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2007, 03:34:21 PM »

I'm having fun so far.  Last night I met up with Knightshade and we did a couple of quests before I had to log off for a bit.  We were dealing with assassins so my Awareness and Detection got maxed out for levels 6 and 7 by just standing around for the most part.

How do you learn harvesting?  Is there a trainer?  everything I've found that is harvestable has given me 'you're not high enough level to harvest' so far.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 02, 2007, 03:34:21 PM

How do you learn harvesting?  Is there a trainer?  everything I've found that is harvestable has given me 'you're not high enough level to harvest' so far.

Once you find your main town (you normally get directed there via quests around 6-7), you'll stumble upon somebody who's marked as a 'Crafting Trainer' with a quest over his or her head. From there you'll learn all about the fun of crafting and chopping giant trees down.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 02, 2007, 03:34:21 PM

I'm having fun so far.  Last night I met up with Knightshade and we did a couple of quests before I had to log off for a bit.  We were dealing with assassins so my Awareness and Detection got maxed out for levels 6 and 7 by just standing around for the most part.

Yea, that was a lot of fun.  After you logged I put in a bunch more time with diplomacy.  I like the Dark Elf version of diplomacy.  It involves having threatening conversations and then coaxing the target behind the woodpile and clubbing them baby seal style. 

As far as harvesting, there is a trainer by the horses that'll train you how to harvest.  Do some simple wood collecting quests and then you get into the 'here is how you mine, etc.' I believe.  I'll show you tonight if you want.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2007, 03:54:40 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 02, 2007, 03:37:35 PM

As far as harvesting, there is a trainer by the horses that'll train you how to harvest.  Do some simple wood collecting quests and then you get into the 'here is how you mine, etc.' I believe.  I'll show you tonight if you want.

I'll have to look for that.  I'm not sure if I'll be on tonight-  I'm going to try and get some time in with Rogue Galaxy (that is if I can resist clicking on the Vanguard icon).  Thanks for the offer though  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2007, 04:19:07 PM »

To address a few things from blackaddars post:

1. Corpse Runs - they are naked corpse runs only if you choose to do so.  You can bind items so that when you die you respawn with them.  Quite a few of my quest rewards currently are soulbound by default and so when I die I respawn with about half of my gear.  For a minimal cost I can buy binding stones and bind the rest of my equipment.. however if I choose to so I can not resell the equipment to other players.  Also you can take the exp hit and just summon your corpse to the altar and you have no corpse run, but you have exp loss and durability hit.  If you recover your body the exp hit is minimal.   At lvl 14 I loose about 8% exp if I summon.  I can recoup this in about 17 even con 2 dot kills.

2. Mob training - if you are paying attention and alert to your surroundings it is very easy to avoid trains.

3. Mob camping - This is a choice people make regardless of the game, it happens in WoW, it happens in EQ2, it happens in LOTRO etc...  With Vanguard the world is huge.  Itemization so far has been pretty good to where if Vault of heroes is crowded we can take a group to the spider caves which has similar loot, or you can do some overland adventuring.

4. Crafting is complex but enjoyable.  People have screamed for years that they wanted meaningful crafting, well in Vanguard they got it.

I am loving the game, make sure you guys look me up, name is Gralik.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »

I'm thinking about opening my copy tonight sometime.  I shouldn't be, but I am.

Maybe I'll open my copy of Rogue Galaxy instead, get really involved in it, and forget about VG for a month while it gets refined.

I don't know though, I'm pretty weak-willed when it comes to stuff like this.

icon_confused

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 02, 2007, 04:19:07 PM

To address a few things from blackaddars post:

1. Corpse Runs - they are naked corpse runs only if you choose to do so.  You can bind items so that when you die you respawn with them.  Quite a few of my quest rewards currently are soulbound by default and so when I die I respawn with about half of my gear.  For a minimal cost I can buy binding stones and bind the rest of my equipment.. however if I choose to so I can not resell the equipment to other players.  Also you can take the exp hit and just summon your corpse to the altar and you have no corpse run, but you have exp loss and durability hit.  If you recover your body the exp hit is minimal.   At lvl 14 I loose about 8% exp if I summon.  I can recoup this in about 17 even con 2 dot kills.

2. Mob training - if you are paying attention and alert to your surroundings it is very easy to avoid trains.

3. Mob camping - This is a choice people make regardless of the game, it happens in WoW, it happens in EQ2, it happens in LOTRO etc...  With Vanguard the world is huge.  Itemization so far has been pretty good to where if Vault of heroes is crowded we can take a group to the spider caves which has similar loot, or you can do some overland adventuring.

4. Crafting is complex but enjoyable.  People have screamed for years that they wanted meaningful crafting, well in Vanguard they got it.

I am loving the game, make sure you guys look me up, name is Gralik.

Arkon,

Perhaps this game is just up your alley.  For me, it seems that it's probably not.  Of course, you played EQ2 instead of WOW and specifically wanted a different type (punishing?) of game, whereas I played both but went back to WOW full time as I got frustrated with the lack of ability to find groups in EQ2, even as a healer.  

RE: Corpse Runs - I read your statement on the amount of XP loss over on OO, though it seems that others experienced more XP loss.  It's good that items bind to you...can you sell bound items to a NPC vendor at least?

RE: Mob Training - You just *know* that griefers are going to have a field day with this.  Perhaps they haven't yet, but once they get bored they will.  I remember jerks having a grand old time with this ability in UO and I have a hard time understanding why this would be in any MMORPG.

RE: Mob Camping - Mob camping doesn't really happen in WOW.  At most, you wait 5 mins for a respawn and that rarely happens.  In EQ2, I remember doing a quest where we can to kill the placeholder mob repeatedly to try to get the quest mob to spawn.  That was awful and it sounds worse in VG.  Again, it may not be a problem unless/until the servers get crowded with a particular population range.  But having to wait to kill mobs is not my idea of fun.  Some say the more social aspect of the game really happens when you're waiting like that.  For me, it's like watching paint dry.

RE: Crafting - EQ2's original system was very deep but a bit absurd because you had to continually get low-level reagents to make the sub-items to craft into more sub-items to craft into sub-items to craft into the *real* item.  I really liked the newer crafting system, which was a bit more complicated than WoW's, but still fun.  I guess we differ on the word "meaningful".  What's meaningful to one person is tedious to another.  It sounds (again, I haven't experienced it) that Vanguard went way over the tedious line for someone like me.

Again, to each his/her own and it sounds like VG is a pretty good game for those who want a more punishing-type MMORPG.  But for me, I don't equate punishing with challenge - I think you can make a game a challenge without it being punitive (which some of the aspects of VG sound like they are).

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2007, 06:10:21 PM »

Nobody is talking about Diplomacy!  The Diplomacy system could be a game in and of itself.  I'm having a great time unravelling the intricate web of lies in the political system for the Dark Elves.  If you haven't tried it, give it a few tries, complete the tutorials, and try a few real missions.  Good stuff...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2007, 06:21:44 PM »

Blackadar...  Perhaps a difference on XP loss reports is that I am running Drox UI which allows me to see an exact number for my XP instead of just a bar with bubbles.  It is easier for me to tell exactly what a death cost me.  I played WoW for quite some time actually, but it just didn't hold my interest long term.  Soulbound items I believe can still be sold to NPC vendors.  Because of the size of the world, I really firmly believe that if someone does decide to intentionally train, move on.  I have gotten caught in accidental trains but never anything intentional, that very well may change.  Mob camping, I would still say it is a choice, if a mob isn't up that you need, move on, there is a ton of other things to do, come back another time.  I really don't consider it more punishing, just more delineated risk/reward.  Vanguard isn't for everyone, and that is fine.  I am just glad to have the option of something different.

And yes KD, Diplomacy could be a game on it's own, and it is just barely implemented compared to what they have planned for it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2007, 06:55:27 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 02, 2007, 05:00:11 PM

Maybe I'll open my copy of Rogue Galaxy instead, get really involved in it, and forget about VG for a month while it gets refined.

icon_confused
I'll make it simple for you:

you have no will of your own.  Open your copy of Vanguard, install it and be on tonight.  CEEKAY COMMANDS IT!!!

Tongue

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2007, 07:00:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 02, 2007, 06:55:27 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on February 02, 2007, 05:00:11 PM

icon_confused
I'll make it simple for you:

you have no will of your own.  Open your copy of Vanguard, install it and be on tonight.  CEEKAY COMMANDS IT!!!

Tongue

I also demand that you join us.  Maggot.   drillsergeant

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 02, 2007, 07:20:26 PM »

Lockdown:

As much as I would love to give you the A-OK... I would suggest holding off.. maybe give it another week or so and re-evaluate.  They are still patching daily and performance ranges from really good in some areas to slow as molasses in other areas for a lot of people.  I would rather see you wait a few weeks and help ensure alot of enjoyment that will keep you around long term then to have you jump in now just for the sake of getting you in game at the risk of you having frustration and leaving the game prematurely.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 02, 2007, 07:20:26 PM

Lockdown:

As much as I would love to give you the A-OK... I would suggest holding off.. maybe give it another week or so and re-evaluate.  They are still patching daily and performance ranges from really good in some areas to slow as molasses in other areas for a lot of people.  I would rather see you wait a few weeks and help ensure alot of enjoyment that will keep you around long term then to have you jump in now just for the sake of getting you in game at the risk of you having frustration and leaving the game prematurely.

damn you for bringing logic into this sir!

(I have to agree with the logic though, especially if you're on the fence).

Because I can,
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »

Waiting a few weeks is probably a good idea to let them smooth out the wrinkles in performance.  Not sure what world pops are but if something doesn't change i could also foresee server consolidation.  They probably have until a couple weeks before LOTRO launch to secure a steady base I would think.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »

Arkon  (and J):  I appreciate the advice.  I think it's pretty cool that two of the biggest supporters of the game (you and YK) are honest enough about where it stands atm to hold people like myself off, knowing how enraged I will get if certain things aren't performing well yet.  Because the fact of the matter is, you are correct; I will get pissed and leave with an attitude.  Sad as that is.

Hopefully all you guys won't be freakin' level 30 or something when I do jump on board though!

Maybe we'll get lucky and have a "group B" who all enter the game once you guys give the green light.

I hope you keep us all up-to-date on the patching, features, performance, and such.

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2007, 08:39:42 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 02, 2007, 08:34:03 PM

Arkon  (and J):  I appreciate the advice.  I think it's pretty cool that two of the biggest supporters of the game (you and YK) are honest enough about where it stands atm to hold people like myself off, knowing how enraged I will get if certain things aren't performing well yet.  Because the fact of the matter is, you are correct; I will get pissed and leave with an attitude.  Sad as that is.

Hopefully all you guys won't be freakin' level 30 or something when I do jump on board though!

Maybe we'll get lucky and have a "group B" who all enter the game once you guys give the green light.

I hope you keep us all up-to-date on the patching, features, performance, and such.

I'll make an alt to play with ya when you do join. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2007, 08:46:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 02, 2007, 04:19:07 PM

Complex is an understatement. Imagine how EQ2's crafting system was - multiple sub-components AND the requirement to find more than one different 'type' of crafter (as a blacksmith, you can't make leather hilts for example) before you could make the finished item. It's exactly like that.

Can you make some very powerful weapons/armor due to crafting? Heck yes. It just will take a LOT of time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2007, 10:35:14 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 02, 2007, 08:34:03 PM

hey!  I was also helpful, in a kinda not so helpful sort of roundabout way  ninja

Because I can,
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »

Never fear alts are a way of life, i never need any prompting to start and alt.  Interesting segue but I fired up EQ2 with the new Fae expansion and i am now able to play on high detail with excellant framrate....which confirms to me that Vanguard perf issues are theirs not mine...and the Fae look incredible.....ugh, but i do want to explore the world with my druid (who at least has playable framerate)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 03, 2007, 01:42:58 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon
I'll make an alt to play with ya when you do join. smile

Quote from: Jaddison
Never fear alts are a way of life, i never need any prompting to start and alt.

Excellent! 

Just please don't burn out!   icon_wink

Oh... and if anyone cares:  gamespy link - out of the box view
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:06:47 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 03, 2007, 04:42:43 AM »

I'll sign on for Group B with you, Lockdown!

The open world exploration aspect of this one really has me interested.  Plus, am I reading right that I can be a wolf-man?  Damn, usually there's a curse involved in that.

I'm strongly, strongly desiring to jump in on this, but I would also prefer not to have to deal with the typical launch issues, especially the performance related ones, since those drive me up the wall.

That said, here's hoping Group B (we need a better name) is ready to launch soon!

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2007, 05:07:00 AM »

You can be feline, vulpine or lupine and of all the areas their starting areas are the elast laggy for me.  i think they will figure it out...it appears they did with EQ2 after firing tha tup...but EQ2 may have taken too long to fix it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2007, 05:53:12 AM »

After visiting the Dark Elf area with Ron just a bit ago, I have to say the reason why it's so laggy (although I admit, the PC the Gamespy previewer had was CRAP as my performance was A TON BETTER with a 'lesser' system) was because the land is very open. Most of the other starting areas are a bit more 'enclosed' (mountains nearby keeping the max draw distance turned down).

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 05, 2007, 03:40:41 PM »

I'm really having a lot of fun with this game.  I started a disciple in the Asian themed area, and the quest are amazing. 

First I'm fighting for the emperor as a soilder, then when told to fight a master (lv 50 who I have no chance against) he spirits me away to a small village where I learn the error of my ways.  There are other similar asian themed quest reminiscent of all the kung-fu/samurai movies you know and love.  I especially love the stronghold quest that has you going over rooftops where the jumping physics are changed and you are going from rooftop to rooftop ala Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style.  Great stuff.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2007, 03:54:12 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on February 05, 2007, 03:40:41 PM

I'm really having a lot of fun with this game.  I started a disciple in the Asian themed area, and the quest are amazing. 

First I'm fighting for the emperor as a soilder, then when told to fight a master (lv 50 who I have no chance against) he spirits me away to a small village where I learn the error of my ways.  There are other similar asian themed quest reminiscent of all the kung-fu/samurai movies you know and love.  I especially love the stronghold quest that has you going over rooftops where the jumping physics are changed and you are going from rooftop to rooftop ala Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style.  Great stuff.

dude!  what race/class are you playing????  I may have just found my first alt!

Because I can,
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »

I too am now completely sold on Vanguard...at least for the up to 10 stuff as that is all I have seen.

I started a Disciple as well but of the feline race.  First off the feline race has an amazing back story that gets revealed through diplomacy.  i spent two hours yesterday doing diplomacy quests that made this race this most "real" i have encountered in an MMO.  The diplomacy card game and the back and forth to different people to keep the quests going was just engrossing....it didn't feel like a game anymore it felt like I was actually in a novel and I was discovering what the hell my race was really doing on Telon.....and the story is very very well done and interesting.

I have to say Disciples are great fun as well, a combination marshal arts/ healer with great animations.

I love the Asian themed area as well, great music and very beautiful scenery.

i know i posted about laggy play and for the most part I think I have solved it.  The game still stutters at times as it loads textures.  But I have found all the unusual races have starting areas where i get excellent performance, this is the vulpine, feline and lupine races...and all have some great stories as well.  So what changed?

- Turned off N-view, the Nvidia multi-monitor program.  This vastly improved performance.  i tried just solo monitor and compared to dual monitor and there was no real change but turning off N-view and letting windows default dual monitor run gave me at least 10 FPS.  I also used the tweak guide at tentonhammer and it helped immensely.  it would also appear that there has been some optimization by Sigil as the game just plays much better than last the early start weekend.

You take diplomacy, the unique song creation ability of the bard and a very detailed crafting that has the unique playability factor of letting you have outfits and tool belts for crafting and harvesting so you aren't crimping your inventory to carry around the many tools you need combined with vast world with really very good graphics even on balanced or high performance and you have one very interesting game.

The relative lack of real players does worry me however.  With Several other MMOs due out over the next year I have no idea how they can grow.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2007, 04:38:46 PM »

I'm in Kojan.  You either want to be a Kojani Human or Half Elf.  The rooftop quest and quest to kill a master are pretty cool.  You can fight your way up through the stronghold, or do what my group did and take to the rooftops.  The jumps are tricky at first, because like I said the physics have changed.  You will have people fall off from bad jumps, but remember /rope is your friend.  Just target them, hit /rope and you can pull them back up.  Another thing is there are assassins on the rooftops that pop up when you jump on them, so you have to fight them off.  At the last rooftop neat the tower, you go to the edge and jump and it takes you WAY up in the air right to the grandmasters.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2007, 12:23:38 AM »

Just curious, how are the druids in the game? 

siege

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2007, 12:46:34 AM »

I absolutely love the game. I got it yesterday and I'm already level 9 on my Ranger. Running on the balanced setting, I get on average 75 fps indoors and 45 outdoors. The game engine seems to be severely unoptimized, however, as it will periodically drop to 7-10 fps for no apparent reason.

Lots of bugs like not being able to complete some quests, falling through the world, no 3d model present on the character equipment screen, etc. It needs lots of love from the devs and is far from a perfect MMO, but damn am I hooked on it. The death penalty is harsh and it's a huge PITA to retrieve your corpse sometimes, but it adds that sense of danger that WoW severely lacks. The world seems massive and there doesn't appear to be any way to insta port or fly to locations, so lots of running around just like the old days of EQ.

Diplomacy is cool. Crafting is crazy in-depth. Combat is superb. Only thing that concerns me at this point is there not being enough people playing due to the hardcore approach and high system requirements. I'm already getting to a point where a lot of the quests require a group and I haven't seen a whole lot of people in my current area.

I'm Razh on Gulgrethor if you ever need a hand in-game.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2007, 12:59:49 AM »

You guys are definitely going to make me purchase this game if it keeps up.  I looked up some druid info and I deem it interesting enough biggrin

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2007, 12:40:02 PM »

I've been playing intermittently for about a week, and I just had that *click* moment last night.  The character I'd been putting the most time into has been my dread knight, which sounded interesting, but as far as I was seeing, was a pretty standard tank where you whack the mobs as hard as you can, and hope you outlast them.  Pretty straightforward.  A twist was added around lvl 8 where I got a chain move.  Basically, it's unuseable until you get a crit, at which point you have a certain amount to time to activate the chain, which does a ton of damage.  Interesting, but not jaw-dropping.

Then I hit lvl 10.  At this point, I get shadow step.  Shadow step works from 25 yds away, and when you activate it, you also select another ability.  Once you select the second ability, you immediately warp behind the mob and use the second ability.  This is cool because I've had an ability sitting there that lets me attack for 200% wpn damage, and regain that much health, but can only be used from behind.  Suddenly, I have what amounts to a heal spell.  I pull the mob from a distance, wait for them to close, warp behind them, and start whacking.  If I get low on health, I warp behind them again and use the health stealing attack.

It's a really cool twist on the tank, and I really like playing him now.  Plus, I got a horsie.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2007, 02:20:57 PM »

Hehe...That's when the Dread Knight 'clicked' for me too Chaz. You'll get some more interesting moves over the next few levels too that if you think about how to apply them, can really add some depth to your battles.

You've been sitting with Bleak Foeman (the 60 second block) after level 8, that is really not much use...until you get Vengance (a stunning counterstrike) at level 14. Now Malace does extra damage from the flank, but how often are you one the flank?  Sooo...using all three make a nice progression of moves when put together.

I'll Bleak Foeman, so it'll guarantee a successful block.

A sucessful block opens up Vengance, which stuns till the next hit.

Quickly flank the stunned baddie with a couple steps to the side and hit 'em with Malace for extra damage.

Many times that Malace will Crit...opening up a finisher.

You'll have to be extra quick between the Vengance and Malace, as your auto attack might bring the bad guy out of his stunned state before you can get on the flank for Malace.

Absolutely loving the class. nod thumbsup

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2007, 03:45:46 PM »

Well it sounds interesting but I can't bring myself to pay $50 for another MMO without trying it out first.  Anyone have a buddy key left...I'm willing to download (actually started it) since no one around here even has the game.

EDIT: well, I never got the buddy key but I didn't pay $50 either so I'm in.  It's finishing the downloading and updates today so I should be in and playing in a day or two.  I will be in this weekend for sure unless the download really slows down Tongue
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 02:34:52 PM by ericb » Logged
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2007, 07:49:41 PM »

Hey.  Anyone still playing this?  I'm thinking of taking a look.  How is it compared to WOW, FF XI or DDO?

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: