http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:25:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in Vanguard? - Gulgrethor is the GT server -  (Read 18791 times)
LoneStarSpur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »

In Stores January 30

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2007, 05:12:04 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on January 11, 2007, 04:45:16 PM

Yup. Old news.

I remembered back when I betaed Star Wars Galaxies. Something like 90% of the beta population when polled said that the game should not go live. But live it went anyway, and was an utter and total mess for a month or four.

Of course, SW:G is nothing like it used to be either (and is still crap either way), but that's another point entirely.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2007, 04:39:45 PM »

Been patching for....well, over 24 hours at this point.  I should get to play it right about the time it releases.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2007, 07:39:36 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 12, 2007, 04:39:45 PM

Been patching for....well, over 24 hours at this point.  I should get to play it right about the time it releases.

You gotta subscribe with Fileplanet and get their download. It's just a tad more updated than the thing you can pull (VERY slowly) from SoE.

And I'm impressed with some of the changes as of late. The servers don't blow up every hour for example.  icon_biggrin
Leveling seems to be a bit quick. Killing is fun, and I love how you get 'special' attacks based on when/if your character sees an opening in your opponent (generally based on if you're using a certain attack or if you see your target casting/doing something).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 12, 2007, 07:39:36 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 12, 2007, 04:39:45 PM

You gotta subscribe with Fileplanet and get their download. It's just a tad more updated than the thing you can pull (VERY slowly) from SoE.

And I'm impressed with some of the changes as of late. The servers don't blow up every hour for example.  icon_biggrin
Leveling seems to be a bit quick. Killing is fun, and I love how you get 'special' attacks based on when/if your character sees an opening in your opponent (generally based on if you're using a certain attack or if you see your target casting/doing something).

Pay?  To support Fileplanet?  Heh...I'll wait.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 11, 2007, 05:12:04 PM

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on January 11, 2007, 04:45:16 PM

Yup. Old news.

I remembered back when I betaed Star Wars Galaxies. Something like 90% of the beta population when polled said that the game should not go live. But live it went anyway, and was an utter and total mess for a month or four.

Of course, SW:G is nothing like it used to be either (and is still crap either way), but that's another point entirely.

The difference here is that the Devs have also said that they aren't really ready to go live. However, when you're out of development money you don't have many options.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2007, 05:40:46 PM »

This has "train wreck" written all over it...

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2007, 03:24:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 13, 2007, 05:40:46 PM

This has "train wreck" written all over it...

Exactly! The game has potential, but potential unrealised, is well, nothing.

Not to mention that some chucklehead scheduled the release around the same time frame as Burning Crusade's release.
I don't play WoW anymore, but the release time frame of that expansion has been known for quite awhile now.

The fact that the developer (if that's true or not) ran out of $$$ is not my problem, it's the company's problem.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:28:17 PM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2007, 09:52:07 PM »

Oh god, after playing in the beta I can say for certain that this game will suffer the same fate as Horizons. Great potential but boy this one needs some serious polish. To release it as is will destroy any potential customer base it may garner in the mass market.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2007, 09:49:11 PM »

They are making a ton of changes each day with the patches, so it may be alright once it goes live. There is a ton of potential here and I really hope this game succeeds.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 21, 2007, 09:49:11 PM

They are making a ton of changes each day with the patches, so it may be alright once it goes live. There is a ton of potential here and I really hope this game succeeds.

As do I.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2007, 11:32:39 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 21, 2007, 11:06:14 PM

Quote from: Hetz on January 21, 2007, 09:49:11 PM

As do I.

Same here. I'm looking forward to this game, especially with all the attention the devs have been giving the game in the last two weeks.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2007, 12:44:17 AM »

I wish they would have an open beta so I could at least check it out.  Maybe they will have a 7-day trial or something once it launches.  One of my favorite things to do in WoW was just exploring all of the areas and doing crazy things even if I got killed, and it sounds like this has a huge, interesting world that is just ripe for adventure. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2007, 02:04:54 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 22, 2007, 12:44:17 AM

and it sounds like this has a huge, interesting world that is just ripe for adventure. 

It most definitely does. Let's put it this way - the game is designed that you get a horse just to increase your traveling speed around level 10 (give or take a level or 3). The world is FRICKIN' HUGE.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 22, 2007, 02:04:54 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 22, 2007, 12:44:17 AM

and it sounds like this has a huge, interesting world that is just ripe for adventure. 

It most definitely does. Let's put it this way - the game is designed that you get a horse just to increase your traveling speed around level 10 (give or take a level or 3). The world is FRICKIN' HUGE.

See, that stuff really appeals to me.

Horrible death penalties and crazy difficulty that forces grouping, however, doesn't. I love to group, but only when I'm in the mood for it. I love it in WoW that there's content geared for groups, and lots of content that works either solo or grouping. EQ2, as well.

I'm the kind of crazy guy who mostly soloed a cleric into the upper 20's in the original EQ, only grouping when I had the time for adventuring in a party (I often didn't have a lot of time for long sessions). And at the time, soloing clerics was considered too difficult/slow to be feasible. I was actually pretty decent at it, even if I couldn't compete with quad-kiting druids for levelling speed. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2007, 02:54:24 PM »

Here is a cool map that I found today...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »

Have a link as to where that map originally came from, Hetz? I can tell it's from IGN somewhere, but I can't trace back forum links.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2007, 06:23:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 22, 2007, 06:19:53 PM

Have a link as to where that map originally came from, Hetz? I can tell it's from IGN somewhere, but I can't trace back forum links.

Sure thing.

http://vanguardvault.ign.com/

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2007, 07:59:07 PM »

Other than the bugs and things I found while playing the game, the problem for me was really that I just thought it was a tad too hardcore and party centric for me.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2007, 10:18:34 PM »

The group centric theme of this game can be a problem for some in this game, I on the other hand love it.  It's the best part of an MMORPG.  Joining a guild and grouping with the same people everyday.  The most fun you can have in an online rpg if you ask me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2007, 03:14:14 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on January 22, 2007, 10:18:34 PM

The group centric theme of this game can be a problem for some in this game, I on the other hand love it.  It's the best part of an MMORPG.  Joining a guild and grouping with the same people everyday.  The most fun you can have in an online rpg if you ask me.

And the problem (IMHO) as I stated before - can you really launch a major (non-Korean) MMO in the world of post WoW where grouping isn't required at all from level 1-60, and frankly you can easily level to max level soloing without grinding your brains out?

I'm about to find out, as this is a Day 1 purchase for me.

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2007, 04:00:33 AM »

I don't think this game will do anywhere near WoW numbers as it does not have the following Warcrfat did.  i do however think it can be as successful as EQ2 and maybe EQ1 in that it can reach a million dedicated players worldwide.  There is solo content there, it's just that the really cool locales and gameplay is really group oriented.  One thing i reallylike that the developers talked about is that since some dungeons are huge and could take hours on hours to get through, they have made safe spots in them where a group can log off and come back the next day and keep going.  I think this is very important in a setting where there is no instancing.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2007, 04:22:50 AM »

Patch Notes for Today....

Vanguard Build 01700 Patch Notes 1/22/2007

GAMEPLAY
- Abilities requiring a defensive target will now automatically target the caster if they do not have a defensive target. This will also set an actual defensive target for the caster.
- Added an 'Auto Defensive Target Me' option to the Interface section of the Settings window. If this option is enabled, you will automatically cast any beneficial abilities on yourself if you have no defensive target.
- Only heals are now enhanced by heal mod and vitality. They were changing the magnitude of most beneficial abilities that altered hit points such as buffs.
- Intelligence spell damage mod and strength melee damage mod are now getting applied as intended. The ability tool tips should also be updating properly again.
- The maximum damage and healing reached from maximizing intelligence, strength and vitality has been increased.
- Dual wield no longer lowers your block, dodge and parry chances.
- PvP damage output as been reduced for all classes.
- Invisibility and Stealth type effects now break when you begin harvesting or interact with an interactable object.

ADVENTURING
- All Classes - Various text and stacking bugs resolved
- Bard - You can no longer specialize in thrown hammers
- Bard - You can now specialize in bow and crossbow
- Bard - You can now use thrown daggers and axes
- Bard - Added Cleaving the Mountain which is a second step finish that follows Hewing the Mountain
- Bard - Hewing the Mountain V has been added to trainers and the level progression for the rest of the line has been altered slightly
- Bard - Cyclone Tears the Sky is now called Split the Clouds and is available at level 16
- Bard - A new second step finish called Cyclone Tears the Sky is now trainable.
- Cleric - Rejuvenate I has been moved to level 10.
- Cleric - Alleviate I has been moved to level
- Disciple - Removed hint icons for "Secret Chains"
- Dread Knight - Your Dreadful Countenance should now actually lower targets SPI mitigation
- Dread Knight - Moved Scythe of Doom to level 18. Upgrades from there.
- Dread Knight - Increased hate added on Incite
- Dread Knight - Increased Provoke taunt to the correct level.
- Dread Knight - Increased damage from Symbol of Suffering
- Dread Knight - Backlash now lists its maximum duration.
- Dread Knight - All Symbol abilities now cost 1 energy/ second
- Dread Knight - Fixed display description on Vengeance to reflect how much damage it actually does.
- Dread Knight - Added a block animation to Bleak Foeman.
- Monk - Monks are no longer able to gain energy from items.
- Monk - You will now be affected by bard songs.
- Paladin - Sunburst now does increased damage and is resisted less than it was before.
- Paladin - Strike of Gloriann and Sentinel's Blessing now stack with each other and with Courage. Buffs that are supposed to stack actually stacking!? Madness!
- Paladin - The tooltip describing your auras now have more details. It should now be much easier to call me a liar. ?
- Paladin - Aura of Radiance has been removed for your aura lineup.
- Paladin - A new innate ability, Stalwart Soul will be granted to you at level 10
- Paladin - A new innate ability line, Divine Center will be granted to you starting at level 20
- Paladin - Aura of Divine Power now properly buffs you and your group.
- Paladin - Aura of Shielding is now available at level 10 and Replenishment at level 15
- Paladin, Dread Knight, Warrior - Your defensive stance now actually gives you the mitigation it promises.
- Psionicist - Dementia now has a 2 second cast time.
- Psionicist - Mental Blast IV and beyond have been renamed Psionic Blast.
- Ranger - Lowered the cost of Fleetblade
- Ranger - Lowered the cost of Windsong
- Ranger - Forage now works.
- Ranger - Arrow and Bolt recipes will become available to you as you level.
- Ranger - Moved Poison Shot to level 26. Upgrades from there
- Ranger - Increased damage on Poison Shot.
- Ranger - Added new ability line Shocking Arrow at level 6. Upgrades from there
- Ranger - Moved Splitting Arrow to level 18. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Added new ability Line Stunning Shot at level 34.
- Ranger - Moved Sweeping Strike to level 8. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Moved Feral Strike to level 46, up from 42.
- Ranger - Moved Forage to level 10, up from level 2.
- Ranger - Grasp of Earth moved to level 22, up from 18. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Moved Intercept to level 14. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Made Intercept instant activate
- Ranger - Made additional upgrades to intercept
- Ranger - Added Diminishing Returns to the root portion of Intercept
- Ranger - Moved Entangle to level 18. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Entangle now lasts for 28 seconds, has a 15% chance to break and pulses every 4 seconds, instead of every 6
- Ranger - Moved Nature's Remedy to level 18.
- Ranger - Increased parry chance on the Parry ability line.
- Ranger - Moved Rancor to level 8, from level 10. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Moved Regress to level 14, up from level 12. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Moved Regrowth to level 18, up from level 16. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Moved Scare Creature to level 38, up from 26. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Moved Summon Companion to level 18, up from level 14.
- Ranger - Summon Companion now has no energy cost.
- Ranger - Destructive Swarm now lasts for 32 seconds.
- Ranger - The accuracy debuff on Destructive Swarm has been reduced.
- Ranger - The range on Destructive Swarm is now 25m, down from 35m.
- Ranger - Increased range on Warden's Ranged attack.
- Ranger - Removed Bash and Kick Skill from Ranger skill set
- Ranger - You may now only have 1 Talisman on at a time.
- Ranger - Hawk Talisman has been moved to level 46.
- Ranger - Wind Talisman has been moved to level 38.
- Ranger - Tiger Talisman has been moved to 18.
- Ranger - Moved Thorn Cloak to level 10. Upgrades from there.
- Ranger - Thorn Cloak no longer scales.
- Ranger - Thorn Cloak is now free.
- Ranger - Lowered the evasion bonus for Talisman of the Panther
- Ranger - Moved Winter Cloak to level 22
- Ranger - Your special attacks should no longer proc your Cloak effects on you when you defensively target yourself.
- Ranger - Removed hint buffs for "Secret Chains"
- Shaman - Flesh Rot IV through IX have been renamed Bane of Krigus I - IV
- Sorcerer - Increased the snare portion of Icequake
- Warrior - Lowered max range on Infuriating Shot.

CRAFTING
- General crafting mods (crafting tool use, crafting utility use, crafting station use, refining skills and finishing skills) should work correctly now.
- Resonance dust of endurance has been changed to add heal or nuke mod depending on the type of item it is being applied to.
- Novice Bag recipe now available again to low level outfitters on Thestra.
- Novice Staff recipe now available again to low level artificers on Thestra.
- Novice Club recipe now available again to low level artificers on Thestra.
- Qalian novice weapon recipes are no longer listed twice on trainers.
- Initiate tier quest actions have been updated.
- Low level refining recipes have been added to all artificer instructors.
- Low level refining outfitter recipes are now available on all trainers.
- Deconstruction recipes added to Kojan trainers.
- Social clothing can now be purchased.
- Additional saddlebag recipes are now on outfitter instructors.
- Missing amateur bag recipes are now on Thestran trainers.
- Added jewelry recipes to Artificer instructors.
- Added additional "dusting" options to Artificer refining jewel recipes.
- Added additional "dusting" options to Outfitter leather lining recipes.

DIPLOMACY
- New decks are in for Civic Diplomacy and more importantly - newbie lines! Try a Diplomacy newbie line today and navigate yourself through challenging decks and great stories! Some decks will frustrate you - in which case turn to other players for help, or ask in the dip channel (/join dip).
- Thestran Humans: Abulard Thistle will no longer lie to players. He will now, begrudgingly, offer them the choice to work for House Tanvager and House Hilthorn.
- Thestran Humans: Thistle's Rod will now be recognized by Academics instead of Nobles, and will work to Rally the Students. Other bugs have been fixed as well.
- Thestran Humans: Thestrans have now, through the power of their collective will alone, unlocked the ability to learn New Evaluations! You can find the "Learn Evaluations" quest on Marcus Remniol. Your friendly neighborhood Diplomacy Trainer.
- Diplomacy Trainers: All beginning Diplomacy Trainers now allow you to skip the tutorial. The parleys and tutorials are still available, but if you already know how to play, or you don't like reading manuals, you may skip over the tutorial and get straight to the storyline!
- Noble Interview in Bordinar's Cleft no longer helps raise all Noble levers at once.
- Half elf newbie line turned off pending reworking of some content.
- Updated decks on newbie lines.
- Dwarf
- Updated all according to new progression.
- Made customized decks for NPCs in multiple lines/parleyed with at multiple skill levels.
- Qaliathari
- Made customized decks for NPCs in multiple lines/parleyed with at multiple skill levels.
- Mordebi
- Halfling
- Made customized decks for NPC's in multiple lines/parleyed with at multiple skill levels.
- Raki
- Mordebi
- Made updates on all decks when we realized that having a card repeated on the deck made the NPC do nothing but listen.

WORLD POPULATION
- Quest: Don't Spy on Me now requires more scout eyes.
- Quest: Bandit Bait: The Haekemish Bandits will now despawn after 60 seconds of no combat.
- Temple of Dailuk: Nerksawl's agro range has been reduced.
- Tursh: Nine more adventuring quests are now available to players in Tursh. Beware the bullfrogs!

GUI
- Your map arrow will now always appear on top of other waypoints.
- The location currently being tracked will now appear red on the map.
- You will now see only the waypoints for the currently selected quest on the map instead of all of them.
- Group member points on the map will correctly have their tooltip set to the group member's name.

CODING
- You will no longer receive loot spam to the chat window when looting your own corpse.
- Video memory manager updated to hopefully reduce the number of "out of video memory" crashes clients are experiencing.
- If there is a region server crash, and you login and get the invulnerability buff, and your Recall ability is not castable due to still having refresh time, the refresh timer on your Recall ability will be reset allowing you to cast it immediately to escape the area.
- Items required for quests will now be correctly updated when they are moved to or from your corpse

GRAPHICS
- FPS in outdoor scenes should be increased
- Volumetric clouds are now much less of a performance hit

ART
- Ksaravi throughout Telon now look like they should - Rat men instead of Kobolds

~The Vanguard Team

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2007, 06:41:28 AM »

I'll give'em credit.  they are putting in major hours of work with the patches.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2007, 12:31:19 PM »

That...is one heck of a patch listing. Go go Vanguard team.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »

I am so happy to see them begin polishing things now.  They are so time-crunched, I give these guys credit for busting their humps to get this thing as ready as they can, given their time constraints.

I understand it's come a long way in the past 2 months, but I think performance is still a bear.  Choppy and floaty and jumpy in spots, which is a big turnoff to me; but if that sort of thing doesn't bother you personally as a gamer, I think this MMO might surprise some folks if they are willing to give it some time.

I am not terribly excited about it in it's current state, but I am very much looking forward to where it might be in about 3 months.

Thanks for patch notes, Hetz.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2007, 04:49:22 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on January 23, 2007, 04:00:33 AM

I don't think this game will do anywhere near WoW numbers as it does not have the following Warcrfat did.  i do however think it can be as successful as EQ2 and maybe EQ1 in that it can reach a million dedicated players worldwide.  There is solo content there, it's just that the really cool locales and gameplay is really group oriented.  One thing i reallylike that the developers talked about is that since some dungeons are huge and could take hours on hours to get through, they have made safe spots in them where a group can log off and come back the next day and keep going.  I think this is very important in a setting where there is no instancing.
Do you mean that you think WoW is the mega-hit that it is because of Blizzard and the Warcraft setting?  Because if so I disagree.  It sure doesnt hurt it, being set in a familiar world, but WoW is where its at because they continue to refine what most people are looking for in an MMO, from the gameplay side of things.  And it isnt corpse runs, non-instanced PvE and forced grouping.

I think Vanguard can do what EQ2 is doing.  Is that a success?  I do not see them matching EQ's high water mark of ~500K.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2007, 04:56:07 PM »

DO you know how many Warcraft fanbois there are out there worldwide?  That game was guarenteed at least 3-4 million worldwide on name alone.  Wow hasn't really reinvented anything, they've just taken what they liked from EQ, ultima online and others to make a highly accessible game set in a world people already know about.  There really isn't much innovative about Wow.  Hell EQ2 had 500k numbers at one point, no reason vanguard can't reach that number if they play it right.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2007, 10:46:07 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on January 23, 2007, 04:56:07 PM

DO you know how many Warcraft fanbois there are out there worldwide?  That game was guarenteed at least 3-4 million worldwide on name alone.  Wow hasn't really reinvented anything, they've just taken what they liked from EQ, ultima online and others to make a highly accessible game set in a world people already know about.  There really isn't much innovative about Wow.  Hell EQ2 had 500k numbers at one point, no reason vanguard can't reach that number if they play it right.

That's highly improbable regarding the speculation that WoW did well because of WC3.  Last time I saw, Warcraft III sold about 1million copies in the US.   I was one of those...and I wouldn't have purchased WoW based on Warcraft III (which I didn't like).  It's interesting that WoW did over 1 million in US sales within a month or so.  Blizzard had great sales of WoW because it did a great job of marketing and because it was BLIZZARD, perhaps the best gaming company ever (Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, etc.).  The buzz they had on the game prior to release was incredible.  I can't remember anything like it.  Everyone who saw it came away raving about it.  It was labled the "EQ killer" prior to hitting the streets.  And you were hard-pressed to find anyone who preferred EQ2, even though by everyone's admission it was a good game.  WoW came out with an incredible buzz and reputation.  Even folks like me, who were sitting on the fence, were moved to go get it on Day 1. 

I'd agree that WoW didn't reinvent anything.  Blizzard never really does.  They take other's ideas, boil them down to their pure essence, improves them, refines them and then repackages them.  They're masters at it and they do a fantastic job.  They ultimately find what's addictive and what's fun and that's what they make.  I'm a WoW fanboy, no doubt....but not a Warcraft fanboy.  Look at Diablo - even after 10 years, people are still playing it and there's been probably over a hundred attempts from other companies to improve upon it - and every one has failed.

I've looked at Vanguard and I gave away my beta key.  It has possibilities...but most every review I've heard said the same things: it's not balanced, it's not stable and the game world is soulless.  And that last piece is what will kill V:SOH unless they improve it.  It's what killed EQ2, which is a fine game but it has no real soul.  I'll stay tuned on Vanguard, but I don't have really any major hopes for it now.  I think it'll meet the same fate as all of the other sub-par, rushed releases.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:52:24 PM by Blackadar » Logged

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2007, 01:46:43 AM »

That's odd that you say that as I find Wow more souless and less immersive then EQ2.  From the graphics, to the lack of voice acting, to the over-simplified quest.  I just found the game too simplistic and easy.  I also found that there was no true lore to discover as you could really get most everything from the previous warcraft games.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2007, 02:34:41 AM »

Two more patches have been put out since I posted the last patch notes...

Vanguard Build 01705 Patch Notes 1/23/2007

GAMEPLAY
- Energy pool sizes are now based on archetype.
- Fix for NPC corpses warping away after they drop
- Fix for all NPCs seeing invisibility.
- Melee AE attacks have been had energy costs significantly reduced and the damage has been lowered to make up for the change in cost.
- Some melee attacks and all finishers have had damage fine tuning. The costs have not been adjusted.
- Melee percent attacks have had their additive portion significantly increased.
- Healers and Casters have had their energy costs rescaled with respect to their new energy pool sizes.

ADVENTURING
- All Healers - Adjusted group heals. They now come earlier in levels, have increased mana cost and cast time.
- The Sorcerer, Necromancer, Psioncist and Druid have all had their energy pool size significantly increased.
- Blood Mage - Updated Ritual of Shielding effect description to make more sense.
- Disciple - Tool tips on your heals should now display your heal amount more accurately and without range.
- Disciple - Ra'Jin Flare now has a particle effect attached
- Disciple - Added animation to Blooming Ridge Hand
- Disciple - Removed energy costs from all attacks.
- Disciple - All Essence Thief icons are the same now
- Disciple - Favor of the Crow now has an animation.
- Disciple - Added an icon for the duration of Feint so that you can tell how long it is active.
- Disciple - Added floating numbers to Knife Hand
- Disciple - Added effect display description to Knife Hand
- Disciple - Added Focused Bond particle effects.
- Disciple - Added particle effect for Touch of Woe, it should now play a particle when the npc attacks and floating numbers should now appear.
- Disciple - Lowered Jin cost of Sun and Moon Discipline to 6, down from 8
- Disciple - Removed Celestial Breeze VI.
- Dread Knight - Ravaging Darkness now waits 2 seconds before draining any endurance
- Dread Knight - Added a particle effect for Provoke so that it will fire off no matter what level of Dreadful Countenance you are at.
- Dread Knight - Provoke should now gain its increasing effects properly while in different forms of Dreadful Countenance.
- Dread Knight - Lowered the run speed buff of Shadowy Veil to 15%, down from 50%
- Dread Knight - Shadowy Veil now lasts for 60 seconds with an 80 second refresh.
- Druid - added a 50% chance for Binding Roots to break on hit.
- Bard - Hazoc's Magical Aria is now trainable at level 25
- Monk - Feet of the Fire Dragon now has a correct Effect Display Description
- Monk - The location marker for "The Beginning of Enlightenment" has been corrected
- Monk - Fixed an issue with the Monk's Drunken Style quest where higher level players were unable to complete the quest.
- Necromancer - Removed invisibility to undead from your undead forms until it is supported in a better way.
- Necromancer - Added See Invisibility to your forms because, heck, all undead see through normal invis, why can't you?
- Necromancer - Added Enshroud, which bestows invisibility vs. undead to your defensive target, at level 14
- Psionicist - Added True Sight at level 14.
- Psionicist - Removed Thought Thief, Phrenic Rage, Astral Form and Telekinetic Blast from trainers. You can now learn these abilities through Gestalts that have been placed around the world. Please visit your trainer to find where these may be located.
- Ranger - All arrow recipes now require only 1 piece of each arrow component.
- Ranger - Blade of Summer no longer states that it deals an extra 0 damage when flanking.
- Ranger - Nature's Remedy no longer requires reagents for the time being.
- Rogue - Flash Powder is now sold from all applicable vendors in a stack rather than singular
- Shaman - Shaman direct damage spells have had their damage and costs adjusted. Damage over time spells were not adjusted.
- Shaman - Shaman pet damage has been slightly decreased.
- Sorcerer - Added See Invisibility at level 18.
- Sorcerer - Added Gather Energy at level 14
- Sorcerer - Quartz Ring no longer alleges that it gives Increased Light Radius
- Sorcerer - Quartz Ring now actually gives See Invisibility

CRAFTING
- Elemental training recipes for jewelry and foci now use mineralogy as their skill.
- Duplicate Thestran copper armor recipes have been removed from trainers.
- Polished Strapping has been added to recipe trainers that did not have them.
- Novice padding and lining outfitter recipes have been added to recipe trainers that did not have them.
- Amateur Hatchet recipe has been added to Thestran trainers.
- Missing Thestran Maul/Truncheon recipes have been added.
- Grodek now offers the initiate blacksmith quest for Thestrans.
- Initiate and Journeyman Thestran Artificer quests should now be available in New Targonor.
- Added arrow recipes and bolt recipes to Artificer instructors.
- Added arrow recipes and bolt recipes to Blacksmith instructors.
- Added cloak recipes to Outfitter instructors.

DIPLOMACY
- Numerous bug fixes for Tursh line.
- All newbie lines now have a racial card added at the beginning. All new characters get cards like "Kurashasan Pride", "Kojani Serenity", "Goblin Gabble", "Thestran Leadership." Give em a whirl!
- The Diplomacy team wants to thank all testers for aggressively testing and finding numerous bugs. We wouldn't be where we are without you!

WORLD POPULATION
- Item: The Queen's Call
- Now gives stats
- Teleport ability now has 4 charges instead of unlimited charges
- Merchants
- The General Goods Vendor no longer sell extraneous items commonly found upon other merchants
- The Bindstone has been moved to the initial slot of the merchant list for easier access
- In addition to training, Bard instructors now also sell a small selection of starter instruments
- Players may now purchase non-arrow ranged ammo (Spears, Shurikens, Hammers, etc) in a preset stack rather than individual
- Bordinar's Cleft:
- Gwartak Griffonhunters at Moritha's Roost no longer instantly respawn
- Stonefist within Rille's Strike is no longer stuck in place and allows the final step of the quest "Topple the Mountain" to be completed
- Eloren Cloudhammer no longer rescues herself against the Boulder Wildking... where she proceeded to leave mounds of yeti corpses in her wake. She's actually scared now!
- The completion requirement for the quest "Bone Charms" has been reduced.
- All "Grizzly Fur" armor has been removed from the newbie quest progression.
- The second part of the quest "Flames of the Past" is now a timed quest. Players unable to complete the quest within the alotted time will be met with failure.
- Players are able to free miners within Rille's Strike even if they are not on the quest "Mining for Miners"
- Players are no longer required to abandon the quest "Topple the Mountain" if the initial attempt against Stonefist fails.
- Players will now receive quest credit 100% of the time when slaying animates for the quest "Rock Crushing".
- The drop rate of "Spirit Summoner Charms" for the quest "Spirit Summoner Charms" has been increased and the completion requirement for the quest decreased.
- The quest-starting item, Orders From Krult, now drop off of Gwartak Slavers for players who have not yet completed step one of the quest line "Retribution"
- Dwarves will no longer slay their own messenger falcon... however it was funny while it lasted!
- Lomshir Plain: Removed the quest "The Races."
- Martok:
- The quest "The Heart of a Leader" has been adjusted and should be spawning the Shademane Pack Leader every time
- The leather harness for the quest "Taming of the Ghostfang" will now be removed from inventory upon quest completion or abandonment.
- The Arm of Vilonis will now only drop from Deathlord Vilonis for players on the quest "Deathlord Vilonis"
- The quest "Infiltrating the Necromancers" within Khenvor now displays locations as intended
- Renton Keep:
- The hobgoblin overking within Tharridon's Scar has made himself visible to the world... beware!
- A new missive has been added for higher level players called "Chunk Patrol".
- Missives now reward the correct faction upon completion
- Three Rivers: It is no longer required to equip Vauni's Jagged Saw for the quest "Outlaws: Hands Across Three Rivers".

- Faction Pass on the following areas:
- Jharru, and surrounding content
- Oasis aka Tar Janashar
- Rahz Inkur and surrounding content
- Lomshir and surrounding content
- Qur'xa
- Dark Horse Downs and surrounding content
- Hathor Zhi and surrounding content
- Evendusk Fortress and the Tiberian Wildwood
- Temple of Dailuk

- Racial Faction Modifiers applied to the following areas
- Martok
- Tanvu
- Caial Brael
- Hathor Zhi
- Mekalia
- Qur'xa
- Khal
- Lomshir
- Bordinar's Cleft
- Rindol Field
- Leth Nurae
- Halgarad
- Tursh
- Dahknarg

GUI
- Fix for the crafting table setup window not working if there are multiple stacks in the first option's list of items.

~The Vanguard Team

Vanguard Build 01703 Patch Notes 1/22/2007

Note: A lot of factions are being turned on tomorrow. Be wary of camping out in the cities tonight!

GAMEPLAY
- Summoning your tombstone at an altar will cause an item durability hit to items that are contained within the tombstone. This means that if you don't have the cash to afford the summon (yes, we know, it was really cheap because we were waiting for this change) you can still get your items back and then repair those that you can afford. This is currently set to a 15% durability hit, and current content pass should ensure that all outposts have a repair merchant.
- Fixed for reversed goodness of stealthy skills when NPCs are detecting PCs
- An issue has been corrected causing spell damage to be displayed lower than expected in tool tips.
- Stealth, sneaking and detection have had a big polish pass. NPCs will now turn and face you, make noise and some question marks will appear above the head indicating they think someone is there. This gives you a chance to back away before getting attacked. Approaching NPCs from behind will always work if you are in stealth. When approaching from the front NPCs will always attack you if you get right on top of them. With invis there is still radial check.
- Only enemies that are aggressive and those you are within aggro range of will attempt to uncover.
- When detecting a hidden enemy you will now hear a special notification sound.
- Stealth, sneaking and detection chances have been changed. Your skill is now a much bigger factor in your success.
- You will no longer be able to gain skill ups in detection, sneak or hide without being successful at there corresponding activities.
- NPC may now use invisibility against PCs
- Stealth, sneak, hide and invisibility have been hooked up for PVP! If someone detects you running 25 meters or more away from them will give you another shot as sneaking.
- When detecting a hidden enemy you will now hear a special notification sound. When uncovered by a PVP enemy you will also hear an identifying sound.
- When attacking a player from stealth your stealth will not break but that player will see you in stealth mode.

DIPLOMACY
- Diplomacy Bug Fix: Players are now able to gain presence again after crossing chunk borders without logging in and out.

GUI
- Crafting Setup windows have been cleaned up significantly.

CODING
- Probable fix for characters not appearing the way they are supposed to in game. Please let us know if you still see problems with your characters not appearing how you customized them.
- /corpsedrag will now move your corpse again. The server location was getting updated, but not the visual location on the client.
- /stuck makes a triumphant return, now with logging and a warning about using it as an exploit.

~The Vanguard Team

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2007, 03:22:54 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on January 24, 2007, 01:46:43 AM

That's odd that you say that as I find Wow more souless and less immersive then EQ2.  From the graphics, to the lack of voice acting, to the over-simplified quest.  I just found the game too simplistic and easy.  I also found that there was no true lore to discover as you could really get most everything from the previous warcraft games.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yep, I made it 37 levels in EQ2 before I gave up.  I ultimately just got bored....

Does anyone else think this is a gawd-awful lot of changes to make RIGHT before the game goes live?  How the hell could they balance this many last-second changes?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2007, 03:58:16 AM »

Well, we all know it won't be ready and won't be balanced and won't be near polished enough and won't be a hundred other things.

I'm just hoping that Sigil and SoE continue to improve it to the point where there is a legitimate and highly entertaining alternative to what we have currently in the MMO world of gaming.

In the words of Captain Marco Ramius, of the Red October... Personally, I give it 1 chance in 3.  More tea anyone?

LD

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2007, 04:29:59 AM »

Yeah, while I think they will pretty much have the performance issue licked at launch, thee will be more game balancing in the first couple weeks of the game.  I think they need about two more weeks to test this latest rash of changes.  Either way I'll be getting the game soon enough.  Nothing else out there is really holding my intrest as far as a mmorpg.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »

A question for those of you in the Beta.  Does the diplomacy system make the game different enough to make a difference?  looking at the website and reading about the game, the multiple starting race areas and different themes, the diplomacy and the combat all sound intriguing.  The diplomacy part just sounded very interesting but wonder what the reality is.

Thanks
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2007, 01:31:04 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on January 24, 2007, 11:27:39 PM

A question for those of you in the Beta.  Does the diplomacy system make the game different enough to make a difference?  looking at the website and reading about the game, the multiple starting race areas and different themes, the diplomacy and the combat all sound intriguing.  The diplomacy part just sounded very interesting but wonder what the reality is.

Diplomacy is best described as a strategic card game at its core. You play cards to fuel abilities which in turn allow you to play other cards that help you to win. It's really hard to describe, but it's a lot of fun.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2007, 11:39:36 AM »

Phil Elliott of Gamespot gives his opinion of the state of the game as of the latest beta build if you want to read it.

Link to Gamespot 1/24/07

LD

Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2007, 02:26:29 PM »

Has the lag gotten better?  That was the part that was killing it for me.  I still have it installed, I just haven't patched in about 1 - 1/2 weeks.  Maybe I'll patch and try it again tonight.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2007, 04:20:17 PM »

Quote from: Zimix on January 25, 2007, 02:26:29 PM

Has the lag gotten better?  That was the part that was killing it for me.  I still have it installed, I just haven't patched in about 1 - 1/2 weeks.  Maybe I'll patch and try it again tonight.

Good luck trying it again tonight as it's not running right now. biggrin

And for those of you who want a nice long detailed review of Beta, check this out.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2007, 09:33:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 25, 2007, 04:20:17 PM

Quote from: Zimix on January 25, 2007, 02:26:29 PM

Good luck trying it again tonight as it's not running right now. biggrin

And for those of you who want a nice long detailed review of Beta, check this out.

Wow! Good read there, sounds intriguing!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: