http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:31:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in Vanguard? - Gulgrethor is the GT server -  (Read 18917 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2007, 12:31:10 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 05, 2007, 11:44:34 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 05, 2007, 11:26:11 PM

A few more, sorry had to take a dinner break...these shots were all at the highest performance setting, meaning worst graphics lol.

The game looks pretty good at highest performance (worst graphics). EQ2 turns into a VERY ugly mess when you turn down all the options (especially the character models - worse than what EQ1 looks like now).

Love the screenshots. Looks really impressive. What's the wolfman guy you're playing as though?

My character is a Vulmane Dread Knight.  Really loving the class.  Level 10 was a great level as the abilities gained really made a big difference.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2007, 04:30:11 AM »

I made a Dwarf Cleric can we still interact?

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2007, 06:37:56 AM »

You know.... if these games are going to let you be dogs and cats, then I think they should include Armadillos too. 

Just think what great tanks they would make.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2007, 01:08:32 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 06, 2007, 04:30:11 AM

Should be able to, just will take some travel.  Dwarves are on Thestra I believe, so we are on the same continent.

And lockdown... har har... don't be rippin on my WOLF, I aint no DOG!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2007, 04:58:39 PM »

Heh, not to rip on your wolfguy, but I think it looks silly to have a perfect wolf head on top of a normal, fully erect human body.  Maybe make it more like werewolf where the head and body are shaped half like an animal and half like a human or something, but to just jam on a totally discordant head looks like someone was playing with Barbies and glued on a farm animal's head or something. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2007, 05:59:57 PM »

BTW char name?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2007, 06:00:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 06, 2007, 04:58:39 PM

Heh, not to rip on your wolfguy, but I think it looks silly to have a perfect wolf head on top of a normal, fully erect human body.  Maybe make it more like werewolf where the head and body are shaped half like an animal and half like a human or something, but to just jam on a totally discordant head looks like someone was playing with Barbies and glued on a farm animal's head or something. 

Personal preference I guess... they look really good to me, I like the way they look.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 06, 2007, 05:59:57 PM

BTW char name?

Thorsen Blacklight -- Dwarven Cleric
Creepin Deth -- Dark Elf Necro

Is this game always so laggy and crashing. I know it's BETA but isnt this game close to release?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »

I've been in the beta for quite a long time now. I joined back in Spring of last year. If you think this is bad....you should have seen it back then. Eeek.

That said, it is still not ready for release, IMO. There are way too many problems right now and they are nuts if they think this will be ready this month.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2007, 08:40:53 PM »

Ok my quick hit impressions (no offense at all intended to those of you enjoying the game): I think its awful. The graphics look like 3 year old technology, the character models are poor, the different races look silly (the werewolf guy?), and the animations are clunky. The gameplay and questing works ok right now, and you can certainly gain experience that way unlike in previous "hardcore" MMO's, however, even the quest interface, journal, and mechanics are simply so so clunky compared to the absolute streamlined stuff you get in WoW. The game is definately not ready for release, and even if it was I would be passing frown
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2007, 08:48:48 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 06, 2007, 07:49:31 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 06, 2007, 05:59:57 PM

BTW char name?

Thorsen Blacklight -- Dwarven Cleric
Creepin Deth -- Dark Elf Necro

Is this game always so laggy and crashing. I know it's BETA but isnt this game close to release?

It really depends.  Before open beta it was pretty rock solid, I could play for hours without problems.  Then the holiday weekend hit and it was just horrible, and it has steadily improved since then.

I don't understand the knock on the graphics personally, even on the poorest graphics settings I feel the game looks very good.  Animations I know are being worked on.  Vulmane look very very good in my opinion.  I think alot of it is personal preference.  The game isn't for everyone.  I will be buying this day one and playing. 

For the interface, much the same can be said of WoWs default interface, and just like WoW there are already some really nice custom UIs and the UIs will only improve from here.

Calvin can you explain what you find so clunky about the quest interface and journal?  I would say it is near identical to WoWs.

Damage are you on Betaserver 2 by chance?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:53:57 PM by Arkon » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2007, 11:30:41 PM »

One thing I haven't seen much mention of yet is whether you can do well soloing or if you pretty much need a group.  I know it sounds contrary to the genre, but I often prefer to go out and do quests on my own (or with one or two people) and it would be nice to have that option for the majority of the game.  I thought WoW had a pretty good amount of solo-able and small group stuff, although late in the game you are pretty much SOL since it's all huge raid instances.  That was the main reason I quit playing the game.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2007, 02:39:42 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 06, 2007, 11:30:41 PM

One thing I haven't seen much mention of yet is whether you can do well soloing or if you pretty much need a group.  I know it sounds contrary to the genre, but I often prefer to go out and do quests on my own (or with one or two people) and it would be nice to have that option for the majority of the game.  I thought WoW had a pretty good amount of solo-able and small group stuff, although late in the game you are pretty much SOL since it's all huge raid instances.  That was the main reason I quit playing the game.

There is quite a bit of soloable content, but don't be fooled, this game is about grouping.  Soloing does get more difficult as you level up, but at 13 I am still able to solo just fine if I want to.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2007, 03:22:17 PM »

I am on Beta Server 2, but it hasn't let me back in since yesterday's crash around 12:30 PM MST.

Going to try again. I am trying out the different builds just to see how they play.

I am going to try a Ranger next

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2007, 05:54:30 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 07, 2007, 03:22:17 PM

I am on Beta Server 2, but it hasn't let me back in since yesterday's crash around 12:30 PM MST.

Going to try again. I am trying out the different builds just to see how they play.

I am going to try a Ranger next

Rangers rock, my 2nd favorite class behind Dread Knights.  More than likely it is due to them bringing the PvP server back up, Server 2 is what used to be the PvP server, so they had it down I believe in order to move the PvP server data over or some such.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »

I'm interested to see what direction this goes in.  I'm one of the players who left WoW and came back to EQ2 following the recent Echoes of Faydwer expansion which I have been enjoying immensely.  Seems like the number of EQ2 subscribers skyrocketed after that expansion came out.  I just found WoW to be too simplistic, and EQ2 seems to be enough of a challenge to keep me entertained.  Also, I kind of like the fact that EQ2 does get consistent updates and expansions.  In contrast, WoW is only looking at it's first major expansion.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2007, 01:18:47 AM »

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but man alive do they need to do something about performance before this bad boy hits retail.  People are going to go absolutely nuts on them if things don't improve dramatically. 

I think, after much personal deliberation on the issue, I DO like the big, open world.  It does help with the immersion factor of the game.

Immersion Factor factors:

(-)  You can be a dog.

(+) Big open world

(-) You can be a cat.

(+) You can buy a house.

(-) You can't be an armadillo.

(+) Halflings rock.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2007, 02:14:54 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 08, 2007, 01:18:47 AM

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but man alive do they need to do something about performance before this bad boy hits retail.  People are going to go absolutely nuts on them if things don't improve dramatically. 

I think, after much personal deliberation on the issue, I DO like the big, open world.  It does help with the immersion factor of the game.

(-)  You can be a dog.

(+) Big open world

(-) You can be a cat.

(+) You can buy a house.

(-) You can't be an armadillo.

(+) Halflings rock.

Dude, don't be knocking my Vulmane.  They aren't dogs they are wolves!

Performance is getting much better.  I was on earlier and the server was at 4200 people, and was running fairly well.  Hopefully it will continue to improve.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2007, 02:24:56 AM »

I will say that the Wood Elf area is a cluster <bleep>

I liked the ranger but I am going back to my Dwarf or Necro

Maybe I will try a Dread Knight

So far I am liking the all around abilities of the Cleric, which is why I am typically drawn to the class to begin with

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2007, 03:23:31 AM »

It looks like they took out the icon for the Inquisitor.  As far as I can tell, the Inquisitor is going to be some type of psionic warrior... which basically means he will be the best class in the history of classes.

I shall promptly make one and be very happy as soon as they open it up.  With my luck however, the only race that will be allowed to be an Inquisitor will be a dog.

icon_wink

Perhaps they will add Armadillos to the game, and let THEM be Inquisitors.  Now THAT would be cool. 

Arkon, you're on good terms with these people, will you write a suggestion to them to do this so it's not just coming from me?  OK... thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:27:33 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »

Yes Wood Elf starting area is rough... might I suggest a Vulmane Dread Knight or a Vulmane Ranger.... and yes clerics rock, currently have the best all around buffs, decent dps for a healer and great armor.

Inquisitor will be released as a post launch patch in.  It will not be held until an expansion, at least that is the current plan.  They were hoping to have it ready for launch but just ran out of time.  I would have most likely started as an Inquisitor if it had made it in for launch.

And no I will not be suggesting an armadillo race!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2007, 02:27:20 PM »

(-)  You can be a dog.
(-) You can be a cat.

You forgot the part where you can be some sort of short fox thing (forgot the race name offhand).  icon_biggrin

So, I got myself into the beta, and short of the server performance issues (the server itself crashing every 45-60 minutes), it's quite nice. Love the character designs as well as the attention to world detail. Each 'side' has their own starting area, and each one has their own little story that pulls your character into the game. I also love the draw distance and just how the world looks.

The only thing that worries me is experience gain. To say that it's slow compared to the likes of WoW (or even EQ2) is an understatement. Of course, I still say that WoW's gain is just too fast (especially that I consider the 'getting to 60 part' to only be a training area for when the game jumps to uber-hardcore if you want to advance past 60).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2007, 02:45:12 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 08, 2007, 02:27:20 PM

(-)  You can be a dog.
(-) You can be a cat.

You forgot the part where you can be some sort of short fox thing (forgot the race name offhand).  icon_biggrin

So, I got myself into the beta, and short of the server performance issues (the server itself crashing every 45-60 minutes), it's quite nice. Love the character designs as well as the attention to world detail. Each 'side' has their own starting area, and each one has their own little story that pulls your character into the game. I also love the draw distance and just how the world looks.

The only thing that worries me is experience gain. To say that it's slow compared to the likes of WoW (or even EQ2) is an understatement. Of course, I still say that WoW's gain is just too fast (especially that I consider the 'getting to 60 part' to only be a training area for when the game jumps to uber-hardcore if you want to advance past 60).

The fox is a Raki...

For xp gain,quests at lvl 12 are giving me 5-8% exp usually.  Grouping is the way to go, full group killing 3-4 dot mobs really brings in the xp.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2007, 02:47:31 PM »

I've been playing a bit.  It has potential.  My biggest complaint is performance.  Right now the game has some serious lag, especially in the evenings.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2007, 02:59:55 PM »

That's right!

I forgot the Fox!!!

So, we have cats, dogs, and foxes. 

It is QUITE obvious to me they are only missing one thing to make this game ready for launch...

LD

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2007, 03:14:23 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 08, 2007, 02:59:55 PM

That's right!

I forgot the Fox!!!

It is QUITE obvious to me they are only missing one thing to make this game ready for launch...

Would that be suitable for a tanking char?   icon_biggrin

The Dread Knight and the Cleric are my favorites right now

The Dwarven and Orc areas are pretty cool whereas the Wood Elf and Dark Elf areas kinda suck.

Also, is the AC working in this game? I add armor and it doesn't seem to make a difference

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2007, 04:01:48 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 08, 2007, 03:14:23 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on January 08, 2007, 02:59:55 PM

That's right!

I forgot the Fox!!!

Would that be suitable for a tanking char?   icon_biggrin

The Dread Knight and the Cleric are my favorites right now

The Dwarven and Orc areas are pretty cool whereas the Wood Elf and Dark Elf areas kinda suck.

Also, is the AC working in this game? I add armor and it doesn't seem to make a difference

AC is working, but it is a slow ramp.  For example at 400 AC on my dread knight I get about 11% mitigation against equal level mobs.. this is on my tank.  Now if I use my defensive stance I add another 10%.  At lower levels due to low overall AC values between light/medium/heavy it isn't as noticeable.

What race did you choose for the dread knight?  Lvl 10 is a big lvl for dread knights as you get defensive stance and shadow step.  Shadow step is an awesome ability that allows us to affectively use Harrow (a lifetap type melee attack, useable from behind only tho) as you click Shadow Step then an ability to use with it and you warp behind your enemy to use a rear attack.

Dark elf area is sucky, but the quests are cool, as you have to prove you are worthy, that your blood is worthy essentially.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2007, 05:32:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 08, 2007, 02:45:12 PM

Grouping is the way to go, full group killing 3-4 dot mobs really brings in the xp.

Now here's a question - if I decide to play this, I'll be playing with two other friends of mine in a static group type scenario. I know that the Prestige Dungeons are straight out (requires a full group of 6 or multiple groups), but can we take down 3 and 4 dot mobs in the smaller dungeons if we play a balanced (Defensive Tank, Healer, and Fighter/Mage) group?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2007, 05:57:51 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 08, 2007, 05:32:52 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 08, 2007, 02:45:12 PM

Grouping is the way to go, full group killing 3-4 dot mobs really brings in the xp.

Now here's a question - if I decide to play this, I'll be playing with two other friends of mine in a static group type scenario. I know that the Prestige Dungeons are straight out (requires a full group of 6 or multiple groups), but can we take down 3 and 4 dot mobs in the smaller dungeons if we play a balanced (Defensive Tank, Healer, and Fighter/Mage) group?

Yeah, three dot mobs are designed for small group play.  I think a bunch of us from OO are looking to start a guild.  Maybe try to get on the same server so you always would have others to group with to do the full group content.  Most bosses are going to be 5 dot, which could be handled by a group of three if they are lower lvl, light blue con perhaps.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »

I made a Goblin last night.  Shaman!  He's got tattoos all over his face and a topknot.  He is ugly but cool as hell.

He shoots little streaks of something or other out of his fingertips at the enemy. 

Based on the damage I'm seeing, I'd say they tickle the bad guy more than hurt him, so they are probably feathers; but it LOOKS cool.  And in the end, that is all that really matters.

His name is... crap, I don't remember, but it's catchy.  He lives on betaserver 2.  He was apparently born into slavery and escaped off a boat.  Pretty neat setup.

I shall entertain you all by chronicling his pathetic little goblin life until beta ends, or I get bored, whichever comes first.

(Arkon, I am going to need to learn how to take and retrieve screenshots if you please... gracias)

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2007, 02:17:03 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 09, 2007, 01:21:28 PM

I made a Goblin last night.  Shaman!  He's got tattoos all over his face and a topknot.  He is ugly but cool as hell.

He shoots little streaks of something or other out of his fingertips at the enemy. 

Based on the damage I'm seeing, I'd say they tickle the bad guy more than hurt him, so they are probably feathers; but it LOOKS cool.  And in the end, that is all that really matters.

His name is... crap, I don't remember, but it's catchy.  He lives on betaserver 2.  He was apparently born into slavery and escaped off a boat.  Pretty neat setup.

I shall entertain you all by chronicling his pathetic little goblin life until beta ends, or I get bored, whichever comes first.

(Arkon, I am going to need to learn how to take and retrieve screenshots if you please... gracias)

1.  Shaman Revamp should be live next week.  Lvl 1-15 they are horribly underpowered right now, this is due to them being massively overpowered in Beta 2.5.  At 15 they get a pet based on the totem you choose and become quite good at that point.

2.  - on the numpad takes screenshots.  F10 hides your interface.  Screenshots are found in the Vanguard folder, one of the subfolders is screenshots.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »

Thanks buddy.  Is one of their totems an Armadillo by chance?

icon_biggrin

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2007, 02:36:11 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 09, 2007, 02:31:49 PM

icon_biggrin

Shamans get to choose one of three major totems.

Wolf, Bear, or Phoenix.

Phoenix allows the shaman to summon a phoenix pet which is high dps, but somewhat frail.  Phoenix shaman get better DPS abilities and can assume a Phoenix form.

Wolf shaman have a wolf pet which is middle of the road, average dps, average tanking, but wolf shaman get some really nice buffs and abilities and a wolf form.

Bear shaman get a bear pet which is a very good tank, and some decent abilities as well.  And once again they can assume a bear form.

Forms and pets are exclusive, you can either have a pet up or take a totem form at a given time.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »

I went Orc for the Dread Knight

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2007, 03:37:56 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 09, 2007, 02:36:11 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on January 09, 2007, 02:31:49 PM

icon_biggrin

Shamans get to choose one of three major totems.

Wolf, Bear, or Phoenix.

Phoenix allows the shaman to summon a phoenix pet which is high dps, but somewhat frail.  Phoenix shaman get better DPS abilities and can assume a Phoenix form.

Wolf shaman have a wolf pet which is middle of the road, average dps, average tanking, but wolf shaman get some really nice buffs and abilities and a wolf form.

Bear shaman get a bear pet which is a very good tank, and some decent abilities as well.  And once again they can assume a bear form.

Forms and pets are exclusive, you can either have a pet up or take a totem form at a given time.

IN!  Sounds cool. 

Until the Inquisitor goes live, I think I'll stick with this.

LD

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2007, 05:09:20 AM »

So can I get a yes or no from you guys in the beta wether you will be purchasing Vanguard or not?  I see what Calvin thinks.  I'm still not in the beta yet, the hard drive space requirements are too much for me right now with the games I already have on my system.  I will be getting a new computer soon though.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »

Short answer - NO.

Long answer - Not at release.  IMO, the potential of the game being something I personally could sink my teeth into and enjoy seems to be pretty high.  However, the game will most likely be introduced to the public in a "not ready for primetime" state.  The game as it stands right now (and I keep saying this, but I'm talking about the version we are playing, not the release version) is unacceptable for release as far as I'm concerned.  The public will rip into this game like nobody's business, and I fear it might prematurely kill what potentially could be something special.  I will watch closely what people say about the release version of the game though.  Who knows?  Maybe they are holding a lot of polish back from us, and are going to knock our socks off come launch day.  I wouldn't hold my breath though.

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2007, 02:16:22 PM »

Lockdown - that's my worry too. I see a lot of potential in this game, but I also see a flawed title that just needs a bit 'more' to become acceptable. Like a useful map for starters (why can't I get any sort of town map again?)

It also for whatever reason runs like crap on my laptop, even though a game with MUCH more steep system requirements (EQ2) I can turn down enough to not only look great, but play great too.

Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2007, 02:22:30 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on January 11, 2007, 05:09:20 AM

So can I get a yes or no from you guys in the beta wether you will be purchasing Vanguard or not?  I see what Calvin thinks.  I'm still not in the beta yet, the hard drive space requirements are too much for me right now with the games I already have on my system.  I will be getting a new computer soon though.

No.  It was fun to mess around with the game for free, but it just it isn't something I would purchase.  Atleast not for quite some time. 
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2007, 03:15:37 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 11, 2007, 10:55:59 AM

Short answer - NO.

Long answer - Not at release.  IMO, the potential of the game being something I personally could sink my teeth into and enjoy seems to be pretty high.  However, the game will most likely be introduced to the public in a "not ready for primetime" state.  The game as it stands right now (and I keep saying this, but I'm talking about the version we are playing, not the release version) is unacceptable for release as far as I'm concerned.  The public will rip into this game like nobody's business, and I fear it might prematurely kill what potentially could be something special.  I will watch closely what people say about the release version of the game though.  Who knows?  Maybe they are holding a lot of polish back from us, and are going to knock our socks off come launch day.  I wouldn't hold my breath though.

+1

Unfortunately, I don't buy games based on what potential they may have. They have many unique ways of handling things versus other MMOs but the game runs like crap.
Some of the starting areas are absolutely horrible to navigate, the map is pretty much useless, the aggro range is excessive, the armor doesn't scale off damage properly, I could go on.
All this would be okay if they were releasing 3 to 6 months from now, but if they release in the next few weeks you will be paying for late ALPHA, early BETA software at best.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: