http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 12:26:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in Vanguard? - Gulgrethor is the GT server -  (Read 19160 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 10:21:17 PM »

I already deleted smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2006, 11:31:44 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 22, 2006, 10:21:17 PM

I already deleted smile

Damn you sir smile
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2006, 04:47:58 AM »

The current release date seems to be Jan 30-31st.  So it has more then a month.  I'll still give it a chance for a bit longer as I've heard the same about almost every MMO I've played a month befor release.  People told me EQ2 would be horrible upon releas and I bought it anyway and enjoyed it.  I'll keep my eye out for impressions, and pray for the NDA being lifted soon.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »

I have a key to the closed Beta but I don't have time to play it (Champ Manager, WOW, COH...my gaming calendar is full!).  First person to PST me gets the key.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2006, 01:38:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on December 28, 2006, 12:30:27 PM

I have a key to the closed Beta but I don't have time to play it (Champ Manager, WOW, COH...my gaming calendar is full!).  First person to PST me gets the key.

YGPM!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2006, 06:36:52 PM »

Lockdown was first, so I sent him the key.

Sparhawk was 25 mins behind, with Destructor 15 mins behind him.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2006, 07:13:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on December 28, 2006, 06:36:52 PM

Lockdown, you're my sworn enemy.  Tongue :icon_eek: ninja2 ninja

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2006, 07:30:20 PM »

Really?

OK.  I get the gun, you can have the curved sword.  Fight!

Edit:  I just realized something... the moment I download this and begin playing it, I have completely revoked my license to give Soulchilde any more crap about him playing WoW.  Ohhh... the sacrifice!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 07:43:30 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2006, 08:02:17 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on December 28, 2006, 06:36:52 PM

Curses for me sleeping!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2006, 06:35:04 AM »

Well, um, I wish there was no NDA so I could tell you all how I felt about it. Does anyone want my key? Can I even give it away? Someone let me know if I can.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2006, 10:34:32 AM »

paranoid Calvin they're coming for you.............

Grace: Unmerited favor.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »

I might be in soon, just waiting on my key. Already dl'd the client

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2006, 09:21:53 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 29, 2006, 06:35:04 AM

Well, um, I wish there was no NDA so I could tell you all how I felt about it. Does anyone want my key? Can I even give it away? Someone let me know if I can.

If nobody else has said anything, I'll be glad to take it off of you. Obviously I'll need the instructions as to how to download it.  icon_biggrin

But if I do get it, I'll promise I'll give it a good home and lots of testing.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 09:23:41 PM by Destructor » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2006, 11:16:31 PM »

I had taken a break from this, but returned a little while ago, and honestly they have made great strides in performance and content.. still don't see it being ready for end of January, but doing better..will be preordering this I think.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2006, 12:50:15 AM »

Is there only one server? If not, please let us know what server so we might be able to join up.

I won't be getting my key till January from File Planet

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2006, 01:26:21 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on December 30, 2006, 12:50:15 AM

Is there only one server? If not, please let us know what server so we might be able to join up.

I won't be getting my key till January from File Planet

There is currently the Beta Server and the Beta Server (PvP).  Don't do the PvP thing, so that should narrow it down... 

:slywink:
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2006, 03:06:06 PM »

Cool, thx

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2006, 08:48:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 29, 2006, 09:21:53 PM

Quote from: Calvin on December 29, 2006, 06:35:04 AM

If nobody else has said anything, I'll be glad to take it off of you. Obviously I'll need the instructions as to how to download it.  icon_biggrin

But if I do get it, I'll promise I'll give it a good home and lots of testing.

Hey bud, I gotta figure out how to transfer this stuff to you, but Im super busy. I will try to find some time to figure it out later tonight.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2006, 05:48:26 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 30, 2006, 08:48:16 PM

Hey bud, I gotta figure out how to transfer this stuff to you, but Im super busy. I will try to find some time to figure it out later tonight.

As something tells me it won't fit into a PM, I'll just PM you my e-mail address.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2006, 01:37:51 PM »

Hmmm... I would say this so far:

In an attempt not to break the NDA in a million pieces, I will keep it simple:

1) The game is definately in beta testing and should remain so for some time (based on the build we are playing that is).

2) The potential for the game being enjoyable, based on mechanics, ideas, and whatnot, is very high.

3) Unlike my feeling toward most MMO's - I am very interested to see how the game develops.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2007, 07:43:01 AM »

It sounds like the several months more of development isn't going to happen. Apparently the game is coming out in a few weeks(yea right after BC gets released). Seems they have run out of financing from Sony and have to launch whether their ready or not.

Could be ugly...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 05, 2007, 07:43:01 AM

It sounds like the several months more of development isn't going to happen. Apparently the game is coming out in a few weeks(yea right after BC gets released). Seems they have run out of financing from Sony and have to launch whether their ready or not.

Could be ugly...

The game will indeed be releasing in about a month.  Depending on what the internal builds are like this could be real ugly or not too bad.  I personally love the game, and can see past the current issues.  If they nail down performance I will be in heaven.  I will 100% be playing this at launch.  Heck just in the last month the patches have made huge strides for this game.  I really enjoy the seamless world, it is huge.  It is very immersive to me.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2007, 01:06:06 PM »

I guess the NDA has been officially lifted?

I pretty much agree with Arkon (albeit I have much less time invested than he does, so don't rely on my thoughts too heavily).

I can tell you now, a lot is going to depend on the build they release.  I have heard we (the beta testers) are at least 2 builds behind what's currently in-house.  Is that true?  Who knows... but it does give me hope.

I think this game will follow EQ2's path of little patches/fixes/performance tweaks every few days until... well... for as long as they choose to do it.  I personally have no qualms with that "style" of patching.

There is no doubt in my mind that people looking to get out of the "rut" of other MMO's will try Vanguard, and depending on their level of tolerance, will be pleased with the potential they see in it.  However, if their tolerance level is low, I also have no doubt they will find copious amounts of things to dislike and bitch about (quite possibly justified).  As with any game in this genre, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the potential is realized enough to attract the people.  Will the release build accomplish this?  I have no idea.

I want to make one comment regarding graphics.  I know I overuse this statement, but I find them bizarre.  There are some aspects of the graphic engine that really make the game seem like a 3rd generation MMO.  Yet, at the same time, I find other aspects (certain geography related things) that makes the game appear to have been developed two generations ago.  It's strange.

The world is very "open".  Heck, you could find a beach and run on it almost forever it seems.  Some people love the idea of openness like that, some don't.  I guess it depends what you're looking for in a game like this. 

Performance issues: Yep, they exist, in all their shining glory.  SOE and Sigil would go a long way in making a good first impression with the masses if they iron some of this crud out before they launch.  I hope they do, or they will hear about it until they are tired of hearing about it, and then they will hear about it some more.

My overall views of the game are pretty neutral, with a great deal of hope they polish it up until their hands bleed, cause I do believe there is a great game under the shell, trying pretty hard to break out and show itself to the world.

We'll see I guess.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:19:44 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2007, 02:25:20 PM »

I find it almost unimaginable that they would elect to release within three months of the WoW expansion, which is going to sell faster than WoW.  They learned nothing from EQ2 v WoW?

There is a market for a hardcore MMO but I think its smaller than people realize, making it tougher to get a profitable, successful game out the door and into the wild.  People, IMO, do not generally want to pay for tedium and that is really what a hardcore MMO is.  Its taking the rewards of an MMO like WoW and making them all require more of a time investment.  Fuck that.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »

Quote from: olaf on January 05, 2007, 02:25:20 PM

I find it almost unimaginable that they would elect to release within three months of the WoW expansion, which is going to sell faster than WoW.  They learned nothing from EQ2 v WoW?

There is a market for a hardcore MMO but I think its smaller than people realize, making it tougher to get a profitable, successful game out the door and into the wild.  People, IMO, do not generally want to pay for tedium and that is really what a hardcore MMO is.  Its taking the rewards of an MMO like WoW and making them all require more of a time investment.  Fuck that.

Time doesn't equal tedium.  So far my one beta character is lvl 15, other is lvl 10.  Neither character has ever had to grind, I have levelled all by questing.  Releasing close to the WoW expansion isn't something Sigil wanted to do, but Sony is dictating it.  I don't think they ever intended to try and dethrone WoW, they merely are trying to appeal to those of us who don't like a lot about WoW, who enjoyed EQ1.  I see Vanguard hovering around 400k subscribers. 

Personally I can't stand WoW.  I gave it many tries, got quite a few characters to 50+, but in the end it was boring to me.  No one ever wanted to group unless it was to repeadetly farm instances.  I am not a fan of instancing at all...the idea that you are in a world with thousands of people but then all of a sudden only you and your group exist drives me nuts, completely breaks immersion.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2007, 02:54:38 PM »

I'll be playing this weekend, got my key  icon_biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 05, 2007, 02:54:38 PM

My current main is Greyskull a lvl 10 Vulmane Dread Knight
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 05, 2007, 03:23:10 PM

Have any pictures of your character and/or surroundings? The only screenshots I can find for the game are older than all hell. Either that, or I can't find the official site with current shots.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 05, 2007, 06:32:45 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 05, 2007, 03:23:10 PM

Have any pictures of your character and/or surroundings? The only screenshots I can find for the game are older than all hell. Either that, or I can't find the official site with current shots.

Here are 2 quick shots I took the other night to show off the interface I was using... can try to get more tonight.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2007, 07:43:34 PM »

Arkon - may I recommend you purchase a torch before your next shots? Or at least take pictures during the day?   icon_smile icon_lol

And with my first impression (based on these shots), the game sure looks like EQ2. But far better character models. I always hated the 'plastic' look that the models had in EQ2.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2007, 07:46:06 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 05, 2007, 07:43:34 PM

Arkon - may I recommend you purchase a torch before your next shots? Or at least take pictures during the day?   icon_smile icon_lol

And with my first impression (based on these shots), the game sure looks like EQ2. But far better character models. I always hated the 'plastic' look that the models had in EQ2.

Lol, it was late and I was trying to get shots for YellowKing showing the custom interface I was using.  Trust me, any other shots will be during the day!

Oh and I had a torch on at that point.  It was also a really bad location for screenshots heh.

And keep in mind this is with a lot of the graphics turned down a good bit heh.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2007, 07:50:13 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 05, 2007, 07:46:06 PM

Lol, it was late and I was trying to get shots for YellowKing showing the custom interface I was using.

The game is only in beta and it already supports custom UIs? Impressive.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2007, 07:52:40 PM »

Here are two others from another beta tester I know...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 05, 2007, 07:50:13 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 05, 2007, 07:46:06 PM

Lol, it was late and I was trying to get shots for YellowKing showing the custom interface I was using.

The game is only in beta and it already supports custom UIs? Impressive.

Yeah there are at least 5 that I know of... the UI I use is called DroxUI.

Makes a big difference over standard UI.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2007, 08:22:55 PM »

Hey!  I want to try that UI, Arkon.

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 05, 2007, 08:22:55 PM

Hey!  I want to try that UI, Arkon.

Here is the most recent Zip.

Directions:

Open the zip file and copy the DroxUI folder and its contents to:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Vanguard\VGUIAssets\Shells
Open the vgclient.ini file found in:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Vanguard\bin
In the [UI] section change the ShellName to
ShellName=DroxUI

Once in game there is a little circular button ont he bottom right you click to bring up the UI menu.  Putting the game into Layout mode allows you to move everything around.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 05, 2007, 07:52:40 PM

Okay, so we know that the game engine can render blackness very well.  icon_biggrin

I am liking how the models look close up. Now for some nice scenic (in daylight  icon_wink) shots of your character and friends.

I so want to test this game. As much as I loved both EQ's, I have no intent on buying this game without testing it first.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:06:51 PM by Destructor » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2007, 10:18:18 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 05, 2007, 09:04:01 PM

Quote from: Arkon on January 05, 2007, 07:52:40 PM

Okay, so we know that the game engine can render blackness very well.  icon_biggrin

I am liking how the models look close up. Now for some nice scenic (in daylight  icon_wink) shots of your character and friends.

I so want to test this game. As much as I loved both EQ's, I have no intent on buying this game without testing it first.

Bah, everyone is a critic... ok some shots I just took...

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2007, 11:26:11 PM »

A few more, sorry had to take a dinner break...these shots were all at the highest performance setting, meaning worst graphics lol.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2007, 11:44:34 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 05, 2007, 11:26:11 PM

A few more, sorry had to take a dinner break...these shots were all at the highest performance setting, meaning worst graphics lol.

The game looks pretty good at highest performance (worst graphics). EQ2 turns into a VERY ugly mess when you turn down all the options (especially the character models - worse than what EQ1 looks like now).

Love the screenshots. Looks really impressive. What's the wolfman guy you're playing as though?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: