http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:50:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in Vanguard? - Gulgrethor is the GT server -  (Read 18970 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 171


View Profile
« on: December 17, 2006, 09:24:12 PM »

Looks like it should be coming out in late January.  I know it's from the original makers of everquest, but I feel that is a good thing.  For it's time the original everquest was an excellent game and provided a lot of depth.  I'm really hoping that there is an open beta available, or that the NDA is lifted soon so that i can get some impressions.  If anyone has had a chance to play it, PM me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 05:13:00 PM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 21075



View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:42:44 PM »

I'm in the beta and have been for a while.  From the various states I've seen it in, I don't think January is even possible.  I might be wrong, but I doubt it.  I see more of a end of Q1 / Summer release.
Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4414


Is it really that Kampfy?


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:55:50 PM »

My friend is in the beta...I wish I could be in it too.  Oh well, time will come.  I have other things to take care of. 
Logged

Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:07:14 AM »

No way this is in releasable state by January.
Logged
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:20:47 AM »

Not interested.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 02:53:42 AM »

I am totally meh and uninterested in this game. I am completely certain that the hardcore, player-penalizing MMO (the original Everquest, FFXI, etc.) is for all intents dead in the Western world.
Logged
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 171


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 03:29:48 AM »

I think there is still a market out there.  You just need an engaing story and game mechanics for it.  I've never had a problem with a difficult mmorpg.  I just need to like actually playing the game, and it has to have a story/history that intrest me and makes me want to learn more.
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15963


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 05:45:54 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 18, 2006, 02:53:42 AM

I am totally meh and uninterested in this game. I am completely certain that the hardcore, player-penalizing MMO (the original Everquest, FFXI, etc.) is for all intents dead in the Western world.

Thanks to WoW, where casual is now the new 'wave of the future' (short of the absolutely hardcore raiding that goes on after 60), a more 'hardcore' MMO absolutely will not succeed. No way.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5590


LD


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 01:29:52 PM »

Define "succeed".
Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:46:50 PM »

I think there is certainly a market for more hardcore MMOs.  Will they produce WoW numbers?  I doubt anything will ever match WoW, but a game doesn't have to in order to succeed.  Overall I enjoy Vanguard, but it is still in need of a shit ton of polish and optimizing.  I would enjoy it much more if performance on my machine wasn't so spotty.
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15963


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 05:55:46 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 18, 2006, 01:29:52 PM

Define "succeed".

Keeping the magical number of 100k subscribers or needed in order to remain open, or whatever the profit point is.

Anybody care to talk about their experiences in the game? Or is the game still NDA locked?

And they REALLY need to update their website. Last screenshots posted date back to June. Yeesh.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 07:54:25 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 18, 2006, 05:55:46 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on December 18, 2006, 01:29:52 PM

Define "succeed".

Keeping the magical number of 100k subscribers or needed in order to remain open, or whatever the profit point is.

Anybody care to talk about their experiences in the game? Or is the game still NDA locked?

And they REALLY need to update their website. Last screenshots posted date back to June. Yeesh.

Due to performance issues, I don't play as much as I should.  The game is still under NDA, and in no way should it be released in January.

That said, when I play I do enjoy my time in the game, and the game world is quite immersive.
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15963


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 08:00:59 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 18, 2006, 07:54:25 PM

Due to performance issues, I don't play as much as I should.  The game is still under NDA, and in no way should it be released in January.

That sounds exactly like the Star Wars MMO. When polled, something like 80% of the beta testers said it wouldn't have launched when it did. Not a good sign.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 08:08:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 18, 2006, 08:00:59 PM

Quote from: Arkon on December 18, 2006, 07:54:25 PM

Due to performance issues, I don't play as much as I should.  The game is still under NDA, and in no way should it be released in January.

That sounds exactly like the Star Wars MMO. When polled, something like 80% of the beta testers said it wouldn't have launched when it did. Not a good sign.

IF it launches in January it will be a huge mess for sure.
Logged
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 171


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »

Part of the question with these things is, when are these type game ever really ready.  There will always be changes.

Are the issues with vanguard content related our stability related.  If it's game stability, that's something that can be improved almost overnight.  If it's a lack of content or pure game bugs, it's another story.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 09:00:17 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on December 18, 2006, 08:56:58 PM

Part of the question with these things is, when are these type game ever really ready.  There will always be changes.

Are the issues with vanguard content related our stability related.  If it's game stability, that's something that can be improved almost overnight.  If it's a lack of content or pure game bugs, it's another story.

There is a lot of content not ready.  What is ready is done well.  Performance... not 100% sure it is something that can be improved overnight as you would think.
Logged
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 171


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 09:49:42 PM »

Thanks Arkon.  I'm gonna keep my eye on this, as I need my mmorpg fix.  And if you ever get any sort of buddy pass to try it out for a few days let me know.
Logged
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 11:11:11 PM »

It's on my radar, but it's not a 1st-day purchase by any means.  I'm going to have to see a few reviews or independent articles on why this MMO is "special" before I'm tempted.
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 262



View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »

I too am in the beta, but all I will say is that if it is indeed released in jan it will not be ready and I will not purchase.  They definately need a few more months before its ready to be successful. 
Logged
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 02:08:45 AM »

Ha I say I have no interest in it then they send me my beta invite just now. Wierd. GET OUTTA MY HEAD! smile

Geez Id forgotten Id signed up for the beta. Looking onthe forum I signed up July of last year. Wow long time.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:16:21 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 02:37:18 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 19, 2006, 02:08:45 AM

Ha I say I have no interest in it then they send me my beta invite just now. Wierd. GET OUTTA MY HEAD! smile

Geez Id forgotten Id signed up for the beta. Looking onthe forum I signed up July of last year. Wow long time.

Same thing just happened to me right now Dae. I am going to try it out tonight-I too have been waitinjg for a long time.
Logged
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 02:58:12 AM »

Theres a HUGE patch phase going on. Looks like it will be tomorrow before its done.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 03:38:17 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 19, 2006, 02:58:12 AM

Theres a HUGE patch phase going on. Looks like it will be tomorrow before its done.
Hey bro let me know what server you are on and name etc, lets try to hook up tomorrow.
Logged
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 171


View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 05:27:05 AM »

BAH! I've had some real intrest in this game for a while and I get no invite. crybaby

Let me know how it is guys if you can.
Logged
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2412


Starts with s and ends with litting their throats


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 06:48:40 AM »

Me 2 been waiting for BETA, but then again I have like 5 or 6 BETA apps out there right now.
Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 01:58:36 AM »

You get it to work yet Calvin? Most times when I start the client it has an update..even after just updating. updates take me over 30 min to 1 hour to finish. Then when I try to log in it says theres a problem with my account  or some such error amd to try back in a few min. its done that all day. Now its doing another update. been updating about 80 min now. It will fill the yellow bar up then start a totally new yellow bar of updating.

I swear from what Ive read on the updater screen about all the updates and features it sounds exactly like EQ 1.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 02:25:00 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 20, 2006, 01:58:36 AM

You get it to work yet Calvin? Most times when I start the client it has an update..even after just updating. updates take me over 30 min to 1 hour to finish. Then when I try to log in it says theres a problem with my account  or some such error amd to try back in a few min. its done that all day. Now its doing another update. been updating about 80 min now. It will fill the yellow bar up then start a totally new yellow bar of updating.

I swear from what Ive read on the updater screen about all the updates and features it sounds exactly like EQ 1.

Dae-I have actually been updating for about 22 hours now, and it has been stuck around 1:45 since this morning. I do not know what is going on man, if I find out or you find out lets make sure to post in this thread.
Logged
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 03:14:56 AM »

Mines 2/3 done now..been nearly 3 hours this time Id guess. this patch alone has used 5 gigs..I only have 3.5 gig left free. Thats what I had yesterday and it ran out of roon on an update. I had to delete a couple games for this new patch. If this keeps up Ill just have to give up lol. right now my vanguard beta folder is taking up 13 gigs.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 03:35:11 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 20, 2006, 03:14:56 AM

Mines 2/3 done now..been nearly 3 hours this time Id guess. this patch alone has used 5 gigs..I only have 3.5 gig left free. Thats what I had yesterday and it ran out of roon on an update. I had to delete a couple games for this new patch. If this keeps up Ill just have to give up lol. right now my vanguard beta folder is taking up 13 gigs.

Holy crap thats absurd-well I just stopped my download and restarted it thinking that it would pick up where it left off and I could do ti that way and maybe get it kickstarted-but no, for some reason it started it waaay back and now I have 6hours + again to get it patched. So..we will see.
Logged
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 06:15:59 PM »

Well I cant play it. it finally is ready to play but says Im missing a DirectX dll and to dload the latest version. But MS wont let me because this XP might be a cracked version. The only OS I have is WinME so I had to get this Xp copy to use and its all out of date. I was never able to find a copy of Xp in the trading forum frown
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:20:45 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 06:32:31 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 20, 2006, 06:15:59 PM

Well I cant play it. it finally is ready to play but says Im missing a DirectX dll and to dload the latest version. But MS wont let me because this XP might be a cracked version. The only OS I have is WinME so I had to get this Xp copy to use and its all out of date. I was never able to find a copy of Xp in the trading forum frown

Yes Vanguard requires the newest version of Direct X to run, believe my current Vanguard folder is around 19 GB.
Logged
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 171


View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 07:18:27 PM »

Wow, didn't know it was that big of a hog on the harddrive.?
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 10:09:16 PM »

Well my dl kept stopping and just looping right near the end, with roughly an hour to go. I restarted three times, but each time it could only detect  I had downloaded like 35% of the files, and thus I had to wait 9 more hours. Finally, I uninstalled everything and I am just now setting it up again and hopefully reinstalling the program and seeing if it will download properly this time frown What a waste of 48 hours frown
Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 21075



View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 11:08:32 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on December 20, 2006, 07:18:27 PM

Wow, didn't know it was that big of a hog on the harddrive.?


Yep, 20GB. That is a whole lotta content. smile
Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »

I got in.Done 3 different race/class starting quests and areas. Looks and feels like an barely updated EQ1 that runs like crap. Considering deleting it for the room.

Its probably just me but I feel that companies think they can just churn out an MMO and people will flock to it. Im sick of them. I mean I have a habit of wanting to play an MMO but whats out and coming out just bore me to tears. Ive been considering EVE Online and if I get some cash ill give that a try. Huxley might also be good. But good lord lets stop with the fantasy MMOs. Get creative people. I have zero plans to buy Lord of the Rings or Vanguard or whatever else is out there. Im not even interested in WoW's  Burning Crusade. I was before I had to leave WoW but now Im not. In fact I look at addons like BC as a means to keep me from returning to a MMO. I see them and the lvls and stuff they add and just think "geez I dont want to have to buy that and be behind yet agaian or do stuff over yet again" Its why Ill never go back to UO, EQ, AO or any of the rest of them.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 02:50:29 AM »

Ok so I restarted, deleted everything, and went to bed with 1.5 hours left to go. I woke up this morning and the bar looked like it was 99% complete, only it was still downloading, and now said 19 hours left. Its still dling and still says 19hours left now 8.5 hours later. I don't know why. I wish I cared enough to check out the forums, but I dont. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. This is my last try with this strange game.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 22, 2006, 02:50:29 AM

Ok so I restarted, deleted everything, and went to bed with 1.5 hours left to go. I woke up this morning and the bar looked like it was 99% complete, only it was still downloading, and now said 19 hours left. Its still dling and still says 19hours left now 8.5 hours later. I don't know why. I wish I cared enough to check out the forums, but I dont. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. This is my last try with this strange game.

Check your vanguard folder, what is the size?

The status bar and time estimator is wonky... my total time (back when it was 17gb) was somewhere around 48 hours to get it fully downloaded/patched.
Logged
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 743



View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2006, 03:46:49 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 18, 2006, 01:29:52 PM

Define "succeed".

Probably more than the 200k subscribers that EQ2 has or the 30k that Star Wars Galaxies has.  WOW having 7 million is pretty much a statement of what people want out of this type of game.  EQ and EQ2 have both gravitated towards WOW's game mechanics, but no one cares anymore.  I'm interested in Vanguard, but I doubt it will bring anything new to the table.
Logged
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2006, 06:31:05 PM »

Im tired of being negative about most games but I gotta be again. Vanguard will not suceed when it comes out. And if it really does come out jan 6th as Ive heard then it will be a huge failure.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2006, 09:38:03 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 22, 2006, 06:31:05 PM

Im tired of being negative about most games but I gotta be again. Vanguard will not suceed when it comes out. And if it really does come out jan 6th as Ive heard then it will be a huge failure.

Well after having an hour left 36 hours ago I now have 30 hours left again. This is an awful awful awful downloader. I am giving it until tomorrow then im stopping and deleting.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.148 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.048s, 2q)