http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:39:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone hear of the MMO, Tera?  (Read 11458 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »

Ah, ok, I got a totally different impression, that maybe he was having problems and therefore had paid to play a "beta". Hope everybody is having fun. Was in Eldritch Academy last night...seriously trippy.

Quote from: Harkonis on May 11, 2012, 07:52:42 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 11, 2012, 06:58:55 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 11, 2012, 04:57:46 PM

for Kato

So...what was that supposed to mean? Is Kato having issues? I have had account-related issues, but no in-game problems whatsoever.

Kato wouldn't play the free beta, but then bought the game at release to 'try it out' so I'm giving him a hard time.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »

I'm in the same place as you then.  Accidentally got ahead of Kato since he has that pesky thing called 'work'.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2012, 04:06:42 AM »

Man, I had no clue how fun this game was going to be.  Didn't play the beta and really didn't pay attention to it coming out at all, but read impressions and decided to give it a shot.  I am hooked.  Where TOR had awesome story and boring everything else, this has boring story and awesome everything else and I guess I thought I was a guy who would have story win out, but I was so wrong.  This game is just fun to play and TOR was good story where you had to struggle through the gameplay to get to the story bits.  Turns out I'd much rather have a fun gameplay experience in an MMO.  And to top it all off, I'm playing on a PvP server, which I never do, but the combat is so much more interesting that I just had to give it a shot and am glad I did.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2012, 04:26:52 AM »

Glad you are having fun with it. CoH taught me years ago, that I could put up with an ehh story if the combat was fun.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »

I wish I was on a pvp server  ninja
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »

So I ran the Cultist's Refuge last night, and realized at the second to last boss that I had been in this place before, that this was the instance I played in at PAX 2010. I remembered something important about the last boss (won't spoil it here) and after we killed it, I wanted to actually read the quest text for a change. So there's one last ign you have to do, an object you have to destroy after talking to the npc. As I was moving my mouse to accept the next part of the quest, somebody on the team destroyed the object, so I didn't get credit.

It was fun, though, and I got a couple of blues and a gold in there.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 13, 2012, 10:46:31 AM

What are the PvP server rules?  Just started this game yesterday and interested in trying out pvp.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 13, 2012, 10:46:31 AM

I think we get a free transfer to another server...I go check it out

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »

Most games won't allow you to go from a pve to a pvp, only the other way around frown
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2012, 10:58:44 PM »

Still wondering about the differences between PvP Server and PvE.  Is it just the outlaw system?  The outlaw system, if I understand it correctly, basically allows you to flag yourself for pvp and kill or be killed by anyone not in a safe zone.  But each time you do it, you get a debuff that weakens your character and makes it successively more likely to lose crystals on death.  This debuff then decays over time.

Am I close?

If so, it doesn't seem like it would be that much more fun to be on a pvp server with such harsh pk penalties.  I'm generally for open pvp anywhere, like the NHL of the 70's.  I feel like I must be missing something here.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »

so, has anyone else had issues stopping automatic billing?  I got this on sale from Amazon and I doubt I'm going to go past the free month right now, but it seems their account system isn't working right yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2012, 07:52:17 PM

so, has anyone else had issues stopping automatic billing?  I got this on sale from Amazon and I doubt I'm going to go past the free month right now, but it seems their account system isn't working right yet.

I had to cancel using their online support chat. It only took a couple of minutes of waiting to get someone online to cancel my account.

Semper Fidelis

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »

So everyone looking to cancel doesn't make me want to pick it up as much...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 24, 2012, 08:59:46 PM

So everyone looking to cancel doesn't make me want to pick it up as much...

for me it's more lack of time to devote to it right now.  my summer is going to be all about clearing out my game backlog, which won't work very well with a MMO.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »

too many good games out right now.  Tera was a lot of fun, if there weren't so many options I could see playing it.

I just emailed and they cancelled me
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 24, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 24, 2012, 09:29:11 PM

too many good games out right now.  Tera was a lot of fun, if there weren't so many options I could see playing it.

+1

If there weren't so many great games out right now, this would have been my go to game. Best combat in an MMO I've played so far. Oh and it looks and runs fantastic too

Semper Fidelis

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2012, 02:15:13 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 24, 2012, 11:16:24 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 24, 2012, 09:29:11 PM

+1

If there weren't so many great games out right now, this would have been my go to game. Best combat in an MMO I've played so far. Oh and it looks and runs fantastic too

I'm having the same problem.  I loved what I played of Tera, but then Diablo came out and I haven't logged in since.  I'm pretty bummed about it, because it really is a stellar MMO.  I am not going to cancel yet, though, as I could very well just go cold on Diablo and be looking to jump back in.  We'll see, I guess.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »

Tera is going to remain a secondary game for me for a very long time. Oscuros hasn't been playing it (though he has mentioned giving it a shot because I like it so much). We were playing a bot of ToR, Borderlands, now Diablo, looking forward to Borderlands 2, and had been planning to play TSW (though I wonder if waiting a bit after launch wouldn't be smart). Regardless of what he and I play together, I will also be playing Tera.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2012, 10:55:20 PM »

ARISE!!

I think I finally burned out on GW2 (one character to 80+, two others to the mid-20's) but was still feeling an MMO itch.  Tried a bunch of different games (WoW, LOTRO, Rift, even FFXI) before landing on Tera.  The combination of awesome graphics and fun combat have been exactly what I'm looking for.  Not sure about the longevity of it, but I've spent most of the last 2 days running around the world having an absolute blast.

Got a few things I haven't been able to figure out though.  Any GT'ers still playing at all?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2012, 11:43:41 PM »

I haven't been on in months. I was pretty bummed when a bunch of people I knew got let go from the staff. Then Diablo came along, then Borderlands.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »

I'm enjoying this far more than I was expecting to.  Most MMO's start strong with me, but burn out pretty quickly.  I spent the majority of my holiday break with Tera, taking my Slayer up to the mid-30's.  Did it all without really messing around with the crafting systems or instance dungeons too, which fits my playstyle pretty well.  The compelling combat is a huge plus and is giving this one legs where it might not have previously.  Fun stuff.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »

Looks like this one is going Free to Play in February.  They have a FAQ up with info about the different account levels.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 09, 2013, 07:28:20 PM

Looks like this one is going Free to Play in February.  They have a FAQ up with info about the different account levels.

This is now the 3rd MMO that has announced F2P within a month of me signing up for it.  Tera, Secret World, and FF XIV (at least until they shut it down for the revamp).  Anyone want me to start playing WOW?  slywink

As I do with most MMO's, I burned out on Tera after a couple weeks.  Got to level 35 before the grind finally got to me though, which is a pretty good run (at least for me). 

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »

I am honestly surprised at the level of "stuff" the previous owner's get when it goes F2P.  It seems like most games strip everything out but there doesn't seem to be any real downside to playing if you're a founder.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2013, 03:34:02 AM »

Yeah, sounds like they did a good job giving Founders something to ease the pain. I'll finally get around to giving this a shot when it goes F2P for sure.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2013, 04:04:41 AM »

I did see several copies of Tera on clearance at Target for $5 a few weeks back, so it might be worth keeping your eyes out if you want those Founders advantages.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »

Quote from: ericb on January 09, 2013, 11:08:52 PM

I am honestly surprised at the level of "stuff" the previous owner's get when it goes F2P.  It seems like most games strip everything out but there doesn't seem to be any real downside to playing if you're a founder.

Same with what they offer for free.

Make the players want to subscribe to get bonuses, not force them to do so because you restrict every little thing that they can do beyond a paywall. *coughSWTORcough* Limited UI buttons, seriously?!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 10, 2013, 05:05:53 PM

Quote from: ericb on January 09, 2013, 11:08:52 PM

Same with what they offer for free.

Make the players want to subscribe to get bonuses, not force them to do so because you restrict every little thing that they can do beyond a paywall. *coughSWTORcough* Limited UI buttons, seriously?!
I'm right there with you.  It's why I won't play swtor (even though I'd like to finish at least 1 storyline).  Their ftp model is too obnoxious.  I'd rather reward other mmos that have better models with my instore purchases.   
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »

Since it's now F2P, I jumped back into Tera last night.  A couple observations:

1.  They were woefully unprepared for the influx of F2P players.  Worst lag I've ever seen in an MMO to date.  If you're interested, I'd give it a couple weeks to settle down before taking the plunge.
2.  The "founders" rewards were surprisingly good, and I didn't notice any F2P restrictions through level 13.
3.  Tera suffers from a rather fundamental issue.  Because of the way it's structured, I'm going to have the exact same experience no matter what race or class I play.  The buttons I push to attack may be different, but I start out in the exact same area (Noob Island), go through the exact same quests, work through the exact same storyline, etc.  There aren't different starter zones or storylines that provide a change of scenery when you roll up a new toon.  As a result, I can't really see it having much legs when playing an alt.  Why would I want to spend hours repeating the exact same story/quests/zones I already played with my other character?

I know all MMO's eventually have some overlap, but most at least make a token effort at giving new toons a slightly different experience.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2013, 01:31:58 PM

1.  They were woefully unprepared for the influx of F2P players.  Worst lag I've ever seen in an MMO to date.  If you're interested, I'd give it a couple weeks to settle down before taking the plunge.

I played a few times over this past weekend and had no lag at all.  Was on the PvE-RP server.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 19, 2013, 05:09:26 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2013, 01:31:58 PM

I played a few times over this past weekend and had no lag at all.  Was on the PvE-RP server.

Good to know.  It was basically unplayable for about 2 hours last night.

Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »

I've also been playing on the PvE-RP server  (Celestial Hills - Roleplay)   and haven't had any problems.
Also there has not been any queue unlike Tempest Reach (I had started here during a free trial) which has had crazy wait times since it went F2P.

bob
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2013, 03:53:43 AM »

My chars are all on Celestial Hills, but I will likely be transferring to whatever server Mikagami is on when I get a chance.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: