http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 08:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarchy Online now free  (Read 3927 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2004, 08:26:01 PM »

You can now download and play the base Anarchy Online game (without expansion packs) for free here.  It looks like the free subscription lasts until January 2006.  I'm downloading now, but it's going to take awhile.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 08:57:15 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
You can now download and play the base Anarchy Online game (without expansion packs) for free here.  It looks like the free subscription lasts until January 2006.  I'm downloading now, but it's going to take awhile.
Bold move. I like it. Go Funcom.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »

I played this awhile back. Shadowlands was 5 bucks at Best Buy. It was fun for a few weeks because a good friend was playing. The novelty (my first MMORPG) wore off pretty quickly. The grind in this game is staggering.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 09:24:17 PM »

Moving to Massive Multiplayer Madness.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 01:18:29 AM »

They couldnt pay me enough to play AO again.  Glad to see WoW is making them so desperate.  With any luck, Funcom bet the farm on the success of AO, and this is the last nail in the coffin.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 02:07:47 AM »

Eh, I liked how trippy Shadowlands was.

Just the original AO, though?  Nah, I wouldn't play that, even for free.   smile

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 02:12:18 AM »

Unless i missed something, AO has and will continue to be fairly succesful.  I'm sure they did lose a few subscriptions with EQ2 and WoW, but the game content and world is so different than either of these two i imagine it will still be around for some time.  I played on and off for over two years and it remains one of the best mmorpg's i've played.  I was casually playing up until a couple months back and it was stable and fun.  There are 220 levels and up until about 110, leveling is super easy and quick.  With the right groups you can literally get 3 or 4 levels a mission and level super fast.  Whoever said the grind was dreadful wasn't doing something right.
Now, since it's free i'd say go ahead it won't hurt to try it for free.  However, you would be missing out on a ton of the content and the ability to play with the regular population that play with the other expansions.  You can pick up the Shadowlands expansion (which includes AO) for nearly nothing and experince alot of what the game offers.  AO free for a year is good, but it's not represenative of the entire package.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 09:31:50 PM »

Like a poster on Qt3 said this would have been a good idea 2-3 months ago before WoW and EQ2 came out. Doing it a month after is too late to have more than a negligable effect.
Andraax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 10:04:24 PM »

The org I am in lost more than half its membership to either EQ2 or WoW (mostly WoW). I myself haven't logged into AO for a couple weeks, as I'm one of the ones enjoying EQ2. But, I know I'll go back to AO at least a couple nights a week once the newness of EQ2 wears off.

Vanilla AO isn't bad, but you're missing a lot if you can't access Shadowlands, which is awesome through at least the first 3-4 zones (up to around lvl 120 or so), and also allows characters to add extra class-specific abilities.

Since its free, why not give it a shot, but there will be people running around with skills and gear you can't wear unless you buy Shadowlands and/or Alien Invasion.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 02:14:17 AM »

Has anyone managed to get this downloaded from their website? I was getting a download error and now bit torrent shows a download time of over 600 hours with a transfer rate of  0 kb.  Broken download?
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 04:36:00 AM »

I'm pretty convinced AO is one of the most underrated MMOs ever.  It sucked when it was release, but Funcom really managed to pull it together.  It's definitely the best Sci fi mmo out there.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 06:52:18 AM »

I tried downloading from their site, but I was cut off and it was slow when it was going.  I managed to get it using the BitTorrent link yesterday, but it took many, many hours.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 01:05:56 PM »

Quote from: "Valael"
I'm pretty convinced AO is one of the most underrated MMOs ever.  It sucked when it was release, but Funcom really managed to pull it together.  It's definitely the best Sci fi mmo out there.

I agree, AND I played it at launch.  I've played almost all MMOs, from AO, DAoC, EQ, EQ2, WoW, Planetside, Lineage 2, SWG, etc....and I gotta tell you, AO still stands out as the one I enjoyed the most (can't speak much for WoW since I only did beta for a weekend).

Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 03:59:54 PM »

I loved AO but ultimately quit because of the constant CTDs and insane client-side lag whenever there were more than three or four players on the screen. I'm hoping it's more stable now. Unfortunately, I'm not really in the mood for it right now, but I figure if I get registered I can still get in on the free-for-a-year thing until I'm ready to play.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 05:38:56 AM »

I came back to AO a year after their abortive launch and it was a good game.  Good graphics and interesting game play with a roll your own dungeon for you or your group.  What killed it for me after a few months was the complexity of gameplay.  The need to constantly upgrade weapons, implants, armor, and nanos became a chore.  A little too complex for my tastes although I respect those that enjoy it.

The poor launch doomed this game to also ran status.  It has/had many innovative and interesting features.

I still remember when I first got my yalm(flying ship) and flew around all the zones breathing in the sights of the huge outdoor areas.  It was a yet to be paralled feeling of freedom in mmorpg for me.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 10:11:47 AM »

Played at launch. Canceled the first week, and never looked back.

What Funcom needs to do is open a new server. That, combined with the frea trial might stir some interest.
Andraax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 03:59:01 PM »

They are definitely getting some interest for the FREE basic game. I logged in one of my alts over the last weekend, and Rome (Omni-Tek city) had many new low level people standing around the basic store.

To those still remembering the horrible launch, it is a completely diffferent game now from the playability side. I can't even remember the last time I had a CTD or experienced any significant memory leak, both of which plagued the launch for months.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 10:44:34 AM »

Is there a Console Gold group in AO?  I just started a few days ago.  I have an adventurer at level 8.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Semaj

View Profile
Hrm
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2004, 12:38:32 PM »

the year free work if you played for a while?  I got a few high level chars I could break out fo retirement if its free for me too smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »

only for new accounts, and their torrent is taking forever, and the mirrors suck...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2004, 06:48:49 PM »

I got it on their torrent at 100kb/sec..not sucky for me at all!

Onnel
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2004, 06:50:48 PM »

I got it on their torrent at 100kb/sec..not sucky for me at all!

Onnel
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2004, 04:24:02 AM »

I have now uploaded more than I've downloaded... ain't that some hooey.. Still waiting on this damned game.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: