http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:06:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All EQ2 US servers down 3:30pm EST 12/17 with no ETA  (Read 5164 times)
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2004, 08:34:05 PM »

Here is the post on the official forums:

"We are currently restoring all US servers as well as the Innovation server to their state as of this morning's update. We do not have a solid ETA available at this time, but will be updating you with progress hourly and will deliver a more firm ETA when we can. Worlds will be brought back online as they are ready. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes you and thank you for your patience while our folks here work to correct this issue.

Thanks!

Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder"

Looks like something went wrong Tongue
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 08:41:57 PM »

Well, on Test, and presumably on live, doing any Heroic Opportunity would crash the zone.  

Oops.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 08:42:08 PM »

my brother patched, and when he logged on he was missing 4 spells and lost over 40 quests
shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 08:55:41 PM »

I think it's somewhat server-specific. I played a couple of hours on Faydark before the servers were brought down, and there were no complaints of zone crashes or missing abilities/quests.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 09:14:40 PM »

The crashes may be server specific but the posts seem to indicate all servers are being rolled back to this morning's state.
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 10:25:58 PM »

Doing a HO crashed in test but they made the update live? Or was it discovered later?

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 02:50:10 AM »

The patch on test had nothing to do with the HO causing zone crashes, as like you said, it hadn't rolled to live yet.  So this has to be something else.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 02:59:54 AM »

The patch on test had nothing to do with the HO causing zone crashes, as like you said, it hadn't rolled to live yet.  So this has to be something else.
Abiding Dude
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 03:22:56 AM »

I logged on after the 10am EST downtime and all of my quests had been deleted...all the ones that were active and all the ones that were completed.  I think there was a major problem with quests and they have decided to rollback to a point before the 10am "patch".

Although my experience with MMORPGs is limited to EQ and EQ2 this is the biggest cluster-fuck I have seen since playing EQ for many years.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 04:06:05 AM »

well from what I'm hearing now, they are going to give people time credit due to the downtime
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 06:38:16 AM »

Quote from: "Abiding Dude"
Although my experience with MMORPGs is limited to EQ and EQ2 this is the biggest cluster-fuck I have seen since playing EQ for many years.

And I still remember the constantly running joke whenever EQ patched - "How did Verant break the Bards this week?"

One week they broke our speed song. Yes, our level 5 speed song. One of the songs that practically defined the class.

It wasn't fixed until the week AFTER, when they patched again.

Made the class completely, totally, and utterly useless to play.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Abiding Dude
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 02:53:27 PM »

The EQ2 servers are still down.  Downtime is getting close to 24 hours now. It makes me say "Wow...just WoW" smile
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 04:35:52 PM »

So how is this worse than WoW's queues and lag while looting? slywink

Sorry, had to say it. smile
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

I would easily say, those issuses are no longer issues.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 06:24:19 PM »

And this one won't be either, after they patch it. smile  That was kinda the point I was after.  Not that WoW sucks or anything, but that both games have had issues.  As have most other MMORPGS.
Abiding Dude
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 07:48:29 PM »

I just have never seen a mainstream MMORPG be down for so long.  I'm not sure why they didn't test the patch out before they put it on the live servers because it was an obvious problem almost immediately.  Oh well, my son and I opened our copy of WoW a week early so we could get get our fix in smile

It seems to me that the quality assurance practices that SOE exercises are not quite ready for primetime.  I am just very surprised that for such a game with such great visibility they didn't take more time to make sure that these extended downtimes weren't minimized more.  The whole thing smacks of some small time developer flying by the seat of their pants, not a large development shop with what should have been proper testing and roll-out procedures.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 08:27:53 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
I would easily say, those issuses are no longer issues.

Actully, I just had to alt tab the game(WOW) because I was stuck in harvesting/looting stance and couldnt due anything else.  That would be third time this week.  So yes the looting problem is still an issue and the occasional wacky lag spikes.  Never seen a qued log in though.

morlac00 on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 03:52:11 PM »

Quote from: "Abiding Dude"
I just have never seen a mainstream MMORPG be down for so long.  I'm not sure why they didn't test the patch out before they put it on the live servers because it was an obvious problem almost immediately.  Oh well, my son and I opened our copy of WoW a week early so we could get get our fix in smile

Guys, in my experience with Verant on EQ, they NEVER tested ANYTHING that went onto the Test Server. Period. People on Test could /bug something every single day they tested the game, and Verant wouldn't touch a single thing.

So, when patch day came out, all the testers would be there, saying, "We TOLD Verant CONSTANTLY this was broken, and they didn't listen to us."

After reading this constantly, almost every single patch, I gave up on them for good. Why I'm a happy WoW player right now. biggrin

And as far as the harvesting goes in WoW - it's an issue where the server knows that there is no node there, but your PC somehow thinks there is. /bug it and find another node to mine, and you're fixed. Or just log out/in and you're okay.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 04:48:14 PM »

[troll]

Play World of Warcraft!

[/troll]

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 10:28:36 PM »

They've given out in compensation:
1) Wipes of all xp debt for all characters
2) 3 days 'free'
3) Increased XP gain on all servers for the next 2 days.

Seems pretty good to me.

I did not get affected by any rollback, though I last played in the morning before the patch went on the server.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 12:07:08 AM »

Madden isn't close to being as good as ESPN.

Poor EQ2 players.  I wouldn't know what to do if WoW was down that long.

Hope it doesn't happen often for you guys.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 12:20:25 AM »

ok lets stop with the trolling, this isn't a pissing match.  Besides, Madden is better than ESPN biggrin

Seriously, keep that type of junk out this threads and related threads.  If you want to make a vs thread,  please make a new thread or preferably find the previous ones.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 03:10:13 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
ok lets stop with the trolling, this isn't a pissing match.  Besides, Madden is better than ESPN biggrin

Seriously, keep that type of junk out this threads and related threads.  If you want to make a vs thread,  please make a new thread or preferably find the previous ones.

edited the junk! smile
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2004, 04:15:41 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Poor EQ2 players.  I wouldn't know what to do if WoW was down that long.

Hope it doesn't happen often for you guys.

I'd be very surprised if something like this happened again.

I think they were really blindsided this time (I still suspect a disgruntled employee), and with the amount of publicity/heat this generated, I would be incredibly surprised if they didn't safeguard against something like this again.

The fact that the president of SOE posted an apology statement puts this firmly beyond the 'patch gone bad, programmer issues apology (or no apology, carry on with business as usual)..and further reinforces my above feeling.

- Don

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2004, 04:32:08 PM »

SOE only cares if they lose subscribers/$$$. They think they might so they come crying with apologies and a few "free" days. The EXP bonus is dumb because you have to play in the 48 hours they say. So they dictate when you can play?

No play for you this weekend and then you have to play these 48 hours...

I played SWG and they lie and deny until they can't anymore then they have some excuse ready and some weak make-goods.  

I don't know if Eq2 is good or not but I KNOW SOE is a piece of dog poo.  The soft kind that you can't scoop up cause is smears and falls apart.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 04:41:27 PM »

I never thought SOE cared about me personally.  Of course they want my monthly subscription fee.  Doesn't every gaming company?

My point was that this brought out the boss.  And, if for only that reason, I don't expect to see anything like this again.

The rest is simply a nice gesture, and I appreciate it (FWIW, the 'compensation' came directly from their own player boards..not the initial debt wipe, but the fact that it wasn't enough, and they should give better xp rates for a few days..and the free time too).

They could have just given the time back (which I believe would have had to do), and it would have been enough.  The rest is just gravy.

- Don

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 04:42:51 PM »

Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
SOE only cares if they lose subscribers/$$$. They think they might so they come crying with apologies and a few "free" days. The EXP bonus is dumb because you have to play in the 48 hours they say. So they dictate when you can play?

I /quote]

You mean a comapny actully cares about making money?  That's crazy talk!  I suppose they should have done nothing in compensation, that would have surely pleased they're customers  :roll: .

morlac00 on PSN
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 05:30:43 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
I think they were really blindsided this time (I still suspect a disgruntled employee), and with the amount of publicity/heat this generated, I would be incredibly surprised if they didn't safeguard against something like this again.

The fact that the president of SOE posted an apology statement puts this firmly beyond the 'patch gone bad, programmer issues apology (or no apology, carry on with business as usual)..and further reinforces my above feeling.

- Don

They should not have been blindsided by this.  Its called disaster recovery and they should have been prepared.

Quote from: "DonD"
 ... I'd be very surprised if something like this happened again.

I am not suprised they had problems but I am very suprised that they were so unprepared to deal with them.   Anywhere at any time things should be able to be recovered promptly if data or hardware goes bad.  It is a given in IT that things will go bad at times and not being prepared is not an excuse.

No excuse here for SOE.  Heads should roll.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2004, 09:54:57 PM »

No disaster recovery is 100% fool-proof. Without knowing the specifics of the situation, I'm not willing to pass judgment. As an IT guy, I've been in situation where despite my best efforts at being fully prepared, a Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events befell the network which resulted in some downtime.

We have the top anti-virus software money can buy, but we got hit with a worm one time because the antivirus company didn't even have an update out for two hours after the thing hit. We were down for 24 hours because we couldn't bring things back up until we were 110% sure everything was clean.

Our internet provider had a major hub go down that affected the entire southeast coast.  We were down for 48 hours and couldn't do a damn thing about it.

From what little we can glean from this incident it appears that A) There was some hardware issues that required flying engineers in from another location, and B) These issues were serious enough that they had to make extra sure everything was thoroughly tested before they went live again. I'm not sure how to prevent such an occurrence other than keeping specialized hardware engineers asleep on a cot in your office in case something breaks. And I imagine that could get expensive.

If heads rolled every time there was network downtime, then just about every network admin in the country would be standing in an unemployment line right now.

No, I don't think that means we should lower our standards of excellence as paying customers, but let's keep this in perspective. It's a computer game. It's entertainment. Lives are not on the line here.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2004, 10:06:55 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"

You mean a comapny actully cares about making money?  That's crazy talk!  I suppose they should have done nothing in compensation, that would have surely pleased they're customers  :roll: .

They care about making money but don't know how to handle customer service. In the end it will cost them more than having done it right in the first place (avoiding 30+ hours of downtime). They wouldn't have given anything back if they didn't think they would lose subscribers.

Of couse they want to make money. Otherwise they would start some MMORPG charity with free gaming. What I was saying was that they break out the damage control after the fact when they should be quicker to solve problems and/or stop them from happening.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2004, 11:23:35 PM »

No matter how much time, money or resources you put into it... shit is gonna go wrong.   I seriously doubt this was some small oversite that caused this major a meltdown.  Does it make it excusable...not really.  It has however, been a pretty smooth launch up untill this incident.  I also think they went well above the normal compensation by offering not only 3 free days but 2 days of bonus expierince and a wipe of all exp debt.  Id say the recognized the severity of the situation and acted accordingly, defintly not "some weak make-goods".

morlac00 on PSN
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2004, 03:21:54 PM »

This is the first time there have really been any major server issues though.  WoW was having problems right from the beginning.  I'll take a problem once in a while rather than all the time.  It has been pretty smooth sailing up to this point.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2004, 02:56:34 AM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
This is the first time there have really been any major server issues though.  WoW was having problems right from the beginning.  I'll take a problem once in a while rather than all the time.  It has been pretty smooth sailing up to this point.

You seem to have a skewed notion of the problems that the WoW servers are having.

For the first 3 days after launch-severe database lag that made the game unplayable.

Since then: No problems at all, at least on my server.

Not taking a jab at EQ2 or anything, but the notion of WoW servers having problems "all of the time" is just flat out not true.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2004, 03:45:38 AM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"

I had major problems connecting to the EQ2 servers for 3 days right at launch.  They fixed something and the problems went away.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2004, 02:37:13 PM »

Sorry about that.  I just thought WoW servers had been iffy all along.  i've been pretty free and clear on EQ2.  So far, it's been a pretty good experience, i'd have to say.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2004, 05:59:46 PM »

No prob  biggrin

Just settin' the ol' record straight.

I haven't tried EQ2 at all and don't intend to, not because of any perceived lack of game quality or because of any server problems but because of the horrific experiences I've had in the past dealing with Sony and Verant.

I'm guessing that their extended server downtime brought more than a couple of people over to WoW to check it out since they couldn't get their EQ2 fix.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2004, 06:30:29 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
No prob  biggrin

Just settin' the ol' record straight.

I haven't tried EQ2 at all and don't intend to, not because of any perceived lack of game quality or because of any server problems but because of the horrific experiences I've had in the past dealing with Sony and Verant.

I'm guessing that their extended server downtime brought more than a couple of people over to WoW to check it out since they couldn't get their EQ2 fix.

Prolly the same amount of people that came over to EQ2 when they didn't want to wait in a que to play WOW  :wink:

morlac00 on PSN
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2004, 07:24:41 PM »

I see a bunch of dumbass complaining going on here...

Why don't you WoW players stop griping about EQ2 and focus on WoW.

And the EQ2 players stop griping about how bad WoW is and focus on EQ2.

The pissing contests get really freakin tiring.

If wow players are willing to forgive blizzard their transgressions and think they've handled it well, then nuff said.

If EQ2 players are willing to forgive Sony their transgressions and think they've handled the situation well, then nuff said.

Frankly, I think both companies are doing fine ass jobs of running their games.  And i don't see much difference between the two companies, having played BOTH extensively since release.

Shut the hell up and start being constructive again.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2004, 08:18:28 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
I see a bunch of dumbass complaining going on here...
Shut the hell up and start being constructive again.

Stop talking about and debating the merits of games on a games forum!  :wink:

My opinion stands:  Both EQ2 and WoW are great games with high production values.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »

Agreed,  My only problem with either is having enuff time to enjoy them.

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: