http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 04:28:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alganon and Derek Smart - Their new CEO  (Read 3219 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:23:25 PM »

Sorry, but this deserves its own thread, since I know a lot of people have an "interest" in Derek Smart, but not in Alganon...

Yes, Deres Smart is the new CEO of Alganon, and as if thats not enough, he posted this epic epic post over at their forums...

Get your popcorn's ready, folks, 'cause this...will be interesting!

Hey folks, Derek Smart here.

I just wanted to make a few things crystal clear so that we're all on the same page.

1. Dave Allen didn't "depart". I fired him back in February for insurbordination and for acting against the best interests of the company.

Shortly after the investors of the LLC unanimously voted him off the LLC.

So yeah, he has been gone since Feb 22, 2010.

I am not at liberty to go into any further details at this time but only to say that eventually everything we do can and will catch up with us. It is only a matter of time.

I also fired Jason Blood - his long time buddy - shortly after that and for the same reason.

Hue Henry, the third person in the group (all three of them are buddies and they started this game), quit shortly after I fired David, but on favorable terms. He felt that it was time for him to move on to an opportunity that he had been putting off.

2. The Dec 1st launch of the game should never have happened. It was a mistake that has not only cost the company money but has also cost people their jobs and put an otherwise exceptional product at risk.

As a game developer, I know all too well that if your game is not finished and you release it, thats just asking for trouble. No matter how great the game and technology are, it can and will fail. Especially in this industry climate.

The average gamer is as finnicky as a hummingbird on acid, with a very short attention span and a penchant for being largely unforgiving. In other words, pulling a stunt like that is the death knell for many a game and company.

3. I was brought on board by the majority investors in QOL since late December to "help" David and the crew move the game and company forward. He wanted to continue doing his own thing, didn't recognize my authority (even after I was made President and him demoted to COO) etc. We all just got fed up and the decision came down after he did one last thing that was the final nail.

4. I have been developing games for a very long time; most of them on a budget that is well within the limits of a small indie studio. I don't and never have catered to the "run of the mill" mass market and that is primarily why I'm still in business long afer most are dead, gone and forgotten.

Thus I intend to stear the team and company toward the goal of making Alganon the best that it can be and to help it find its own niche. We don't want meeelions of gamers, though it would be nice. All we're interested in are those of you who find value in what the team has built and who actually do like playing the game. You are the future of this game and without you, this is all a waste of time.

5. The team currently in place are stellar. I have worked with a lot of people in my career and I can spot flakes a mile away. These guys live, breath and love this game. They are true professionals previously caught in the middle of a rock and a hard place in terms of being unable to reign in powers that end up making bad decisions for the game and company. At the end of the day - and in this economy - you'd be hard pressed to disagree with the guy who controls your paycheck.

I have changed all that by introducing effective policies and strategies that have a single common goal: to operate as a "team".

6. As a result of my involvement, quite a bit of changes are coming to QOL and to Alganon. They are too many to list, but here are the highlights:

a) This whole "WoW look-a-like" rubbish, is gone. I've essentially asked them to throw it all out and for the artists to come up with the game's own unique look and feel for for both the web UI as well as the game UI itself.

You don't go competing with WoW when you don't have a WoW sized budget or the manpower to match. But thats what David wanted to do and I've pretty much tossed it all. The team was unable to actually do this previously due to David wanting it that way, even though they knew it was a terrible decision.

b) We're also getting rid of the monthly subscriptions. They are currently suspended, but will be gone for good. I put that plan into place since Dec 2009 with a view to making the game "subscription free" but supported via sales (I was the one who had the client price reduced to $19.95 as well btw) of the client as well as micro-transactions. It is not a traditional F2P game, but if thats what we have to do in the long run, then so be it. For now, we're taking baby steps.

c) All paid subscriptions are going to be refunded 100% with the game's official launch and there will be an email address setup for you to request your refund.

I already approved the budget to do this. Believe me, nobody likes giving money away, but I felt that it is the right thing to do given the current circumstances and the team valiantly backs me up on this. For me, it is an apology of sorts because the game you paid up to a year for is not the game that you got when you signed up. Though I wasn't around when it happened, I would still like to apologize for that.

d) EVERYTHING that was added to the game - when it should have been about fixing the game, tweaking it etc - has been disabled/removed on my orders. The team is focused on fixing game bugs, tweaking things etc and a new patch is out either today or later in the week.

The game's official launch currently scheduled for Apr 8th will only happen if the UI changes and some critical elements and features are in place, tested and profiled. Otherwise we're not releasing it, but would continue pushing patches for the pre-existing build for you guys to take apart and continue to play SUBSCRIPTION FREE.

There is a LOT more, but I am pressed for time.

The long and short of it is that nobody knows what the future holds for the game or whether or not it can in fact recover from the troubles of the "soft launch" and the stigma associated with its stability, missing features, WoW look-a-likeness etc but we're going to give it our best shot and with my direction and experience, the team is going to focus on the goals mapped out.

The best part is that a few months from now you will get to look back at Alganon's Dec 2009 launch and see the changes. We don't know how long it is going to take for the game to find its footing and gain its own niche, but we're going to throw every goddamn thing at it.

My community sticks with my games because I've always stayed focused on the people who actually buy and play my games. Those are the people who I have catered to. QOL is going to focus on the community that buys and plays Alganon. If you don't like Alganon the game for what it is and not what you want it to be, fine, don't play it, don't come here, go and play something else. No hard feelings.

If you know anything about my industry career in gaming, then you already know that I value the people who keep me doing this. So if you stick with this game, I will take it as far as I can and with everything at my disposal. Having a stellar team makes it that much easier because at the end of the day, a game is bigger than any one person.

And no, Alganon is not going to be QOL's only game. I will let you dwell on that for a bit, but until then, my lips are sealed. slywink

eek

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »

While being insane as he is, he actually makes a lot of sense here to me at least. The total wow clone style was...not good, and could only end badly for them, but completely rewriting the art? Man...thats crazy...I hope they have good money backing!

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:33:23 PM »

Awful lot of video game folks getting fired for "insubordination" lately.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »

He can spot a flake a mile away....oh that is just such an amazing statement from him
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:55:56 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 11, 2010, 10:24:40 PM

While being insane as he is, he actually makes a lot of sense here to me at least. The total wow clone style was...not good, and could only end badly for them, but completely rewriting the art? Man...thats crazy...I hope they have good money backing!

I totally agree with what you're saying.

And the scary part? I'm actually agreeing with Derek Smart because of it. Never thought that would happen in a million years.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »

Wow...I remember him back from Usenet...can't remember exactly which group, but it made for some entertaining reading.  icon_lol

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »

Derek is awesome. I have never seen such a straight up message from a company leader. Its so cool in fact, that I will probably follow the game's development more closely and even give it another chance if things are looking good.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »

Fun fact: Derek Smart is the only person pre-banned from the Gaming Trend forums.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »

Derek has never been known to toot his own horn or make grandiose claims or plans before so sure I think he will completely turn things around.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:22:06 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 11, 2010, 11:56:06 PM

Derek has never been known to toot his own horn or make grandiose claims or plans before so sure I think he will completely turn things around.

I'm sure that irony, but remember, Derek Smart has actually *released* a large number of games, and been in the industry for 20 years...he has got to have some idea of what he's doing. If only someone else could do the UI of his games, I actually think they could have been pretty cool

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:18:53 AM »

Derek Smart may know a thing or two about business, but he's no leader. His people skills are so low they go into the negatives, and he's unable to say anything at all without bragging and being condescending. While I agree with a lot of the things he says in that post, he should never have been allowed to say them. I'm amazed that the investors even allow him to do PR when he would be better off hiding behind the scenes.

And publicly flaunting about firing the top people in the company is just bad form. It's no wonder he wasn't respected.

Mr Smart, respect is earned, not given.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:03 PM »

I went to his site and was amazed at the number of games he has pumped out over the last 6 years.  However who has heard of them?  Who is playing them?  I went to his forums for those games...they are devoid of anything other than a rare fanboi posting of how great the game is and how great the Supreme Commander is.

Ah brings back those Gone Gold days and also the epic Taco Commander wars on usenet....good days, good days
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »

I wonder if people ever got a refund for the game he had people "preorder" on the premise of a design with nothing actually to play yet.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »

how does this guy keep getting jobs?  He has been in the business 20 years and has released nothing but half ass half baked shitty products.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:24:01 PM by tcweidner » Logged

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »

one could same the same thing in many professions.  Coaching comes to mind or CEOs for that matter.  There seems to be a strong penchant for hiring the mediocrity you know rather than take a chance with an unknown.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:14 PM »

Wow...if he was their fixer guy, they need to keep him locked away fixing, not representing the game or talking to the public.  Oh and if I were the attorney representing 1 or both of the guys that were fired, I would love it if he posted more about that publicly, in more detail.

He always has good ideas, but they get lost in the delivery.  A lot of the points he made were logical and made sense, but he shouldn't be interacting with people...ever.  

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »

Actually for a CEO level e-mail that thing was CRAP.  He said a whole lot of things that he never should have.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 01:48:09 PM »

There's precedent - remember Marc Jacobs in WAR and his interesting posts where he called players for idiots?

People who interact with their fans are sooo much in the dangerzone of being embroiled in bitter flamewars..it happens to the best of us that we post stupid things or loose our tempers ;-)

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 02:45:56 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 12, 2010, 01:41:03 PM

I went to his forums for those games...they are devoid of anything other than a rare fanboi posting of how great the game is and how great the Supreme Commander is.

That's because that's the only kind of post he allows on his forum.  I'm not joking.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »

I know he only allows sycophants on his boars....but it appears the DS ass-kissing brigade is shrinking
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 12:56:17 AM »

icon_lol

Smart never disappoints. Check out the back and forth at Gamustra
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27688/Quest_Online_Fires_President_Hires_Derek_Smart.php

Smart may be one of the worst game developers in history, but man, he is one of the best forum personalities of all time.  He should just have a blog and forum and sell popcorn

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 01:45:19 AM »

Reading that thread I wax nostalgic for that old usenet forum where the Derek Smart PhD thread with the threatened lawsuits and claims of suits and police serving warrants.....ah the gold ole days.

I am amazed anyone would pay Derek to try and save a game

And what the heck is wearing in that picture?  looks like a a yellow leisure suit.....perhaps he is also developing "Leisure Suit Larry's meets Derek Smarts super model wife"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:48:01 AM by Jaddison » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 08:39:20 PM »

Judging from his not-very-updated blog:
http://www.dereksmart.org/

I thought his next game would be called:
MEMEMEMEMEMEME 3000   smirk

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »

On the bio link of his melog he still has PhD listed.....of course no mention from what "school" it was from
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 19, 2010, 08:47:52 PM

On the bio link of his melog he still has PhD listed.....of course no mention from what "school" it was from

He's the world's greatest troll. I think World of Alganon is possibly his best work yet.  Seriously, this is all one giant joke; no one in their right mind would hire this guy as a CEO.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 01:22:38 AM »

Quote from: tcweidner on March 19, 2010, 12:56:17 AM

icon_lol

Smart never disappoints. Check out the back and forth at Gamustra
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27688/Quest_Online_Fires_President_Hires_Derek_Smart.php

Smart may be one of the worst game developers in history, but man, he is one of the best forum personalities of all time.  He should just have a blog and forum and sell popcorn

those posts are mesmerizing...

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 11:19:09 AM »

Threads like this could always use a dose of Derek Smart's Desktop Commander! biggrin
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »

Man this is great stuff!!! Whatever you think of Smart he sure lets the shit fly dont he smile

Scott
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »

I'm starting to think they hired him just to stir up the internet and bring attention to their game.  Which worked for me, because I had never heard of Alganon.  His public internet persona is toxic and nuclear, so I can't think of any other reason to hire him into a leadership role unless the investors are stupid, insane, or unaware of who he is...which equals stupid.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 22, 2010, 03:21:17 PM

I'm starting to think they hired him just to stir up the internet and bring attention to their game.  Which worked for me, because I had never heard of Alganon. 

You make a good point - everybody knows who Derek Smart is. At least those in the gaming world. What better way to get attention then do that?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »

Except for the fact that DS is synonymous with games that either don't work well or no one really wants to play.  OTOH, I did at least try Battlecruiser to see what all the fuss was about
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 08:14:24 PM »

LOL I went and downloaded the trial, its not the worse thing I have ever played but damn you could not copy wow more lol.

Scott
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »

Alganon? Ok.
DS thrives on negative attention. And at that he excels.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 02:37:17 PM »

This interview is full of awesome.

http://www.massively.com/2010/03/22/massively-interviews-alganons-derek-smart/
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »

Once we've finished all that, the goal is to figure out how to get everyone to STOP playing World Of Warcraft and play Alganon instead. For that one, I'm going to call in several favors, find out where all the skeletons are hidden, then expose every single one of them on the intarweb. That'll teach them.

Is he threatening Blizzard here?
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »

Like Bliz wouldn't have more resources to find ALL his skeletons.  Never let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird ass.  What could he possibly think to find that would get people to stop playing WoW to play his PoS of the moment
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 23, 2010, 07:10:47 PM

Like Bliz wouldn't have more resources to find ALL his skeletons.  Never let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird ass.  What could he possibly think to find that would get people to stop playing WoW to play his PoS of the moment

His reputation as an exceptional main-stream MMO maker of course.. Roll Eyes

Gotta give him credit for sticking to his guns.........Even if his guns usually pop out a little flag that says, "bang"...

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »

Battlecruiser the MMO...where the high end content is  25-50 man raids to beat bosses who give you clues how to operate 1 ships system.....final boss is actually all raid participants having to work together in near seamless synchronicity to get the ships propulsion to even begin starting-up
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 23, 2010, 08:00:28 PM

Battlecruiser the MMO...where the high end content is  25-50 man raids to beat bosses who give you clues how to operate 1 ships system.....final boss is actually all raid participants having to work together in near seamless synchronicity to get the ships propulsion to even begin starting-up

Oooo, oo, where do I sign up? Now that's what I call engaging gameplay...

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »

no one would say there was no "end game" content at launch
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: