http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:08:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aion Goes Free to Play  (Read 2787 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »

in Europe that is, starting in February. 

Karlsruhe/Seoul, 14. 12. 2011 – Gameforge, Europe's leading provider of online games, and NCsoft®, the world’s premier publisher and developer of massively multiplayer online games, today announced a new and free to play business model for AION, the online role-playing game. From February 2012, players will be able to download the full version of the game for free and play without any subscription costs. AION will be launched in the UK, France and Germany first and will be accessible to play across Western Europe.

AION is one of the world’s most popular and numerous awards winning MMOGs including a very loyal fan base in Europe. Songyee Yoon, Chief Strategic Officer from NCsoft® commented that “by introducing the free-to-play model, we hope more gamers in Europe will be able to experience the epic story of Aion” and added that “NCsoft welcomes the partnership with Gameforge with its long MMO experience in the free-to-play sector and its excellent knowledge of the European market.”

Gameforge’s Executive Director Alexander Rösner also welcomes the collaboration: “In AION we have received a flagship title for our MMO sector which perfectly complements our current portfolio. We have worked hard with NCsoft® to develop a fair free-to-play model for new players as well as the current community. In the future we will of course continue to develop new content and extend it, working in close cooperation with the players.”

For detailed information about the free-to-play model visit http://www.aionfreetoplay.com

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »

...which means it'll also be in the US soon.

Dammit, I just uninstalled it the other night.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 14, 2011, 03:26:14 PM

...which means it'll also be in the US soon.

Dammit, I just uninstalled it the other night.
I wouldn't feel bad because depending on how much of an overhaul the F2P client is, installing from scratch with the new F2P client might not be a bad thing.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

Well, it's official as of today...Aion NA is going F2P with the release of 3.0.  They're also going to use the L2 model (totally free) vs the current EU model.  I'm actually looking forward to playing it again.  No set dates yet except for Spring 2012.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:10:02 AM »

Quote from: ericb on February 21, 2012, 10:56:19 PM

Well, it's official as of today...Aion NA is going F2P with the release of 3.0.  They're also going to use the L2 model (totally free) vs the current EU model.  I'm actually looking forward to playing it again.  No set dates yet except for Spring 2012.

Great!! Always wanted to go back without the pressure of a paid subscription. I look forward to go back.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »

It is a great game, shame more people didn't give it a try, perhaps now they will. I was having a great time with it until the server merges a couple of years ago. Kind of a shame I stopped when I did, I was getting near the level cap.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:11:12 AM »

Quote from: ericb on February 21, 2012, 10:56:19 PM

Okay, so dumb question - what's the difference between the L2 and the Aion EU model? EU is still charging a fee, or making you buy things in a cash shop, or something else?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »

This seems to be the main difference

Aion EU
http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/features/;jsessionid=4f923146bec5637e057635421a72
Some game options will be limited however: amongst other things, you will only be able to create two characters, you won't be able to use certain chat channels and you will be unable to carry out any private trading. All possibilities can however be unlocked with the purchase of a Gold Pack.

Aion NA
http://truly-free.aiononline.com/truly-free/index.php
No subscription fee. Play for free!
No account restrictions. Visit any zone, chat in any channel, sell any amount of stuff on the trade broker—nothing is off limits!
Robust countermeasures to combat game abuse. We're dedicating a ton of resources to preventing account theft, botting, and real money trading.
No hassles. Create your account, download the game, and play!
No harassment. Don't worry, we won't hound you with constant offers or promotions.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »

Soo....why would anyone play the euro version? IP blocked or?

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »

I really did enjoy my time in Aion. If I remember right, I quit Aion to play something else and never went back.

I love their free-to-play model, and already I'm thinking of rewarding it by at least buying "something" from their store.
Look forward to playing this again.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:47:08 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 22, 2012, 12:33:09 PM

Soo....why would anyone play the euro version? IP blocked or?

Well, the EU has been F2P for a few months now but NA is expecting a large influx of non-US players when they go F2P.  They posted some pretty incredible numbers for Lineage II when it went F2P...something like 4X profit and thousands of new players.

I'm looking forward to playing again...I only stopped because of the incredible grind when you hit the 20s on.  Supposedly they are reducing the xp curve (again) when 3.0 launches.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »

Quote from: ericb on February 22, 2012, 09:47:08 PM

I'm looking forward to playing again...I only stopped because of the incredible grind when you hit the 20s on.  Supposedly they are reducing the xp curve (again) when 3.0 launches.

Really? It wasn't that bad after they changed it in 1.9 or 2.0 or whenever it was. They also added in the solo instances which made it easier if you were having trouble finding a group or trying to level without getting ganked.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »

Rally the Troops starts 2/27.  Basically a two week free return for veterans or extended free trial (up to lvl 40) for new accounts.  Today is the last day to claim veteran rewards if you have any pending (and I hate having to do it from the website account and not in-game).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: