http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:36:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - technical threat  (Read 2729 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »

So - seeing so many people with decent qualifications to answer questions about AoC, I though we should make a thread about the technical aspect of AoC and whatever troubles we may run into.

Am I the only one, whose game is acting...strange? At times, I have 20-35 fps, even 40, and then suddenly, next time I boot up the game (no patches in-between), I get 5-10?

Also, the game was running really great, everything smooth and everything, until I tried to rez someone...BANG, the FPS just died....very, very strange...something to do with the rez animation?

All in all, performance is..very strange in this game

wow - this is a messy post (no pun intended due to the nature of the first word, nor the use of Nature and wrath)

anyways, what about the whole idea "Hit the HIGH video settings and turn of shadows" does that work for anyone? because it doesnt for me...

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:16:23 PM »

What's worked for me is tweaking the Advanced settings and fiddling with a few different settings and sliders (I do turn off shadows altogether).\

My frame rate's consistent if not spectacular (20s-30s mostly).

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »

I have a decent machine, Vista SP1, 8800 Ultra, and it's run fine with no problems, at 1650x1080 at high settings.  Probably the most stable MMO i've played.  It crashes on exit that's about it (and that's after the game is already closed, it brings up a not responding message)

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »

You gave it a couple of minutes?

When I adjusted mine it dropped way down for a couple of minutes (I almost even switched it back), then the FPS went up and has stayed up ever since.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:50:26 PM »

I'm playing at max settings and usually average 30 FPS (with a high of 111 FPS underground at one point) but every now and then it will drop down to 15 or so for no apparent reason.  My crash on exit issue went away with the latest patch, and other than encountering the disappearing NPC during the final fight on Tortage (no biggie as none of them were fighting me- it seemed to be a scripted fight that I just had to walk past)(and I haven't grouped alot yet) and regular NPC's taking a few seconds to load after I enter a new area everything seems to be running smooth.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:24:07 PM »

OK, after todays downtime it is trying to download a new version of the patcher.  It downloads but when it goes to apply it, it says it can't create a file and fails.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:40:41 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 29, 2008, 03:24:07 PM

OK, after todays downtime it is trying to download a new version of the patcher.  It downloads but when it goes to apply it, it says it can't create a file and fails.

Have you tried turning off your Anti-Virus?  I occasionally get issues with the patcher and turning off my AV always fixes it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »

Arkon, saw this on the official forums:

Renaming the file "ConanPatcher.exe.3.tmp" (latest for me) back into "ConanPatcher.exe" will allow you to start the patcher again. But whether will it download the correct patcher that i am not sure as i am in the process of redownloading the patcher.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:12 PM »

yeah had the AV off, I found a PatcherSetup.exe file in my AoC folder and ran it, and it worked after that.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:13:11 PM »

Here's what i did.

Delete the shader files in your main AOC folder, don't worry they'll be put back. In fact, you should do this everytime you play. They get rather big and are known to slow things down.
Delete the prefs2.xml, don't worry again.
Start the game and get to the login screen.
click HIGH SETTINGS. Just do it.
Turn off shadows and set shaders to 2.0.
Now, go back to your pref2.xml and put as READ ONLY. What this is going to do is everytime you start up AoC those changes are going to be there. If you make changes after this they won't save until you take off read only. This will keep the bug from happening where the shaders will revert upon login and with the water reflection too.

Some people reported better frame rate. Mine stayed about the same but it looks nice and i don't get annoying graphical glitches with low/high res textures.

Yeah, this is stupid retarded we have to jump through hoops, no doubt. But until FC gets off their ass and starts to communicate this is the best we got.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:40:37 PM »

dude...that's...interesting..but i don't see a pref2.xml file...

removing the shader files in the main directory of conan caused the patcher to start a 700+ MB patch on restart..

I recommend folks don't follow advice given above...
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:44:05 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on May 29, 2008, 09:40:37 PM

dude...that's...interesting..but i don't see a pref2.xml file...

removing the shader files in the main directory of conan caused the patcher to start a 700+ MB patch on restart..

I recommend folks don't follow advice given above...

then you did something wrong because i, and many others, do this all the time. it's a 3.48 meg patch. you probably removed the wrong files, they should be in the main directory only and be around 5-8 megs. what happens is these bloat up and slow it down.

the prefs is under the whole doc and settings/username/local settings/funcom folder or something like that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: