http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 06:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What kind of server are you planning to play on?
I will only play on a FFA PvP server.
I will only play on a Standard server.
I prefer FFA PvP but will follow the crowd.
I prefer Standard but will follow the crowd.
I'm not planning on playing!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan Server Poll  (Read 4119 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »

Head-start begins 3 weeks from Saturday (May 17th).  Curious to see where most GT/OOer's are planning to play.  I think I already know the answer but I'd still like to see. 

Also FYI, the Wanderers will be playing AoC, though we haven't determined server type yet (still under discussion).  If the poll here shows overwhelming support for one server type or another, that may help to influence our final decision.

Thanks for voting!!

Edit: Here's a link to the PvP specifics.  As mentioned below, the "standard" server also includes PvP mini-games and siege warfare in the "Borderlands".  The FFA PvP server adds full free-for-all PvP everywhere on top of that.

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&func_id=1094&table=PUBLISH&template=news_features_game&selected=1094
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:42:58 PM by rittchard » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:23:10 PM »

I prefer standard, if I were really hard pressed I could handle a PvP server, but it just isn't my desire.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

Standard only for me. If I'm going to participate in PvP, it's going to be the siege warfare stuff. I have no interest in randomly running around ganking people.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 06:34:40 PM »

Good poll idea.  icon_cool Maybe another one might be whether people think they'll plan to play on an East Coast, West Coast or European server? (I know technically the U.S. servers are on east coast, but I was under impression they still plan to divvy them up as East Coast/West Coast servers).

I'm generally not into PvP, or having to avoid UO-style ganking, though I have had a few fun times in PVP zones in City of Heroes if I'm on a large team that works together.

Although I'm more excited about the PvE and supposedly interesting quests in AoC, I do realize that having solid PVP and interesting PVP modes is in the game's best long term interest so I really do hope it delivers on that.

Anyway, my vote was the "prefer standard but will follow the crowd."  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:36:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 06:57:27 PM »

West Coast PVP server probably

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »

"I prefer Standard but will follow the crowd" to a FFA server if the crowd is big enough.  My feeling is, unless there is a huge number of people going to FFA or a very hardcore group who are willing to grind and power level others then you will likely just get ganked and spawn camped to the point that it's not worth playing.  Eventually FC will implement rulesets that probably could make FFA fun but I'm not banking on promises since no one has seen anything yet, not even in beta.

Also I think Rittchard worded the poll correctly.  Don't confuse Standard server as PvE only.  There will be PvP on the Standard server.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »

Not playing at launch. Later on I plan to play on FFA PvP unless no one else is playing on it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:27 PM »

woa!! You missed the one option I'd REALLY love to play in!! PVP-RP SERVERS!!  icon_eek

I love those...take a look at the desecription - I'd really love it if they actually HAVE this!

PvP Servers
For those who just canít get enough PvP, Age of Conan features PvP-flagged servers, with rules allowing widespread PvP, and PvP-RP servers, which not only allow for lots and lots of PvP, but also feature a robust ruleset encouraging roleplaying and staying in-character.

A new one
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »

Sorry Raz, I knew about that option but no one had mentioned actually wanting to play on one ...

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 10:13:24 PM »

I always regret not starting on a pvp server, this time I'm not going to repeat that mistake.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 10:55:51 PM »

I also prefer PvE, but if there is a good amount of people I know playing on a PvP I will join. I just usually do not do good on a PvP server, especially when everybody I am playing with leaves.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 11:21:12 PM »

Prefer PVE myself.
As said earlier, I had alot of bad memories of gankage as far back as Shadowbane.
I enjoy playing safe with a character first, and then rolling a pvp character afterwards.

My vote went to "prefer pve, but will follow the crowd"
If we can get a good 20 some odd people together, I would feel quite safe on a pvp server heh.

Gonna eat your face
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 11:37:53 PM »

Quote from: Ascendent on April 25, 2008, 10:13:24 PM

I always regret not starting on a pvp server, this time I'm not going to repeat that mistake.

I am the opposite, I always start on a PvP server because friends are then in the end regret it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 01:33:32 AM »

I really prefer PvE.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:27:26 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 25, 2008, 09:57:32 PM

Sorry Raz, I knew about that option but no one had mentioned actually wanting to play on one ...

I usually do play on the PVP-RP servers because though you'll still find idiots, they seem to not flock to the RP servers quite as rapidly.

edit: and it's easier to gank RP noobs slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 02:30:39 AM »

Another thing to remember is that due to the slower levelling up, most companies will let you move a character FROM a pvp server eventually, but almost none ever let you move TO a pvp server, ever.

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 04:44:31 AM »

No pvp here not my cup of tea
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 26, 2008, 02:27:26 AM

I usually do play on the PVP-RP servers because though you'll still find idiots, they seem to not flock to the RP servers quite as rapidly.

Evul bastard! I know your type from WoW!!! ;-)

Well, I agree actually, RP servers have less idiots, although that makes them more obvious, but, I've always thouroughly enjoyed RP servers, since people seem to genuinly care about the world, the guild and the people in it... the PVP option is just to make the world more deadly and interesting to be in - although., depends entirely on the system I guess..

but, I'm definitely going to try out an RP-PVP server...will probably be making a guild called "Gank Harkonis" as well ;-)

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 03:03:02 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 26, 2008, 07:56:56 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 26, 2008, 02:27:26 AM

Evul bastard! I know your type from WoW!!! ;-)

Well, I agree actually, RP servers have less idiots, although that makes them more obvious, but, I've always thouroughly enjoyed RP servers, since people seem to genuinly care about the world, the guild and the people in it... the PVP option is just to make the world more deadly and interesting to be in - although., depends entirely on the system I guess..

but, I'm definitely going to try out an RP-PVP server...will probably be making a guild called "Gank Harkonis" as well ;-)

I checked and that name was already taken.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »

is a RP server one of those ones where you have to run around saying 'foresooth' and 'prithee' and 'methinks thou art a rapscallion'?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 04:33:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 26, 2008, 04:26:14 PM

is a RP server one of those ones where you have to run around saying 'foresooth' and 'prithee' and 'methinks thou art a rapscallion'?

its where you stay In Character in /say and /yell normally...and tries to act as the character would - in Conan that would mean NOT saying LOL!!"#!"#!#!ZOR all the time and talking about the newest movie in /say and so on... Its a lot of fun if you like the setting, and have a group of likeminded people to have fun with...

If you want to talk like a bad 17th century movie, you'll probably be ignored but hey, its your money so have fun however you want ;-)

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »

I prefer to take on a Canadian accent and say 'aboot' and end every sentance with 'eh?'  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 04:59:26 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 26, 2008, 04:36:47 PM

I prefer to take on a Canadian accent and say 'aboot' and end every sentance with 'eh?'  Tongue

For me its taking on an American accent....saying things like, y'all, nah, and wha..... nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 08:21:03 PM »

I should also mention in case it wasn't obvious, and assuming we align up with the same server choice, everyone here is welcome to join us in The Wanderers.  I'm anticipating we'll have a base of about 30 players by the time release hits, so hopefully with OO/GT we can get closer to 50+ which would be a nice solid number if we want to get involved in city building and battlekeeps. 

If not, we should at least coordinate getting on the same server  nod
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 08:45:39 PM »

Wanderers are usually on a RP PvP server right? Least thats the way I recall WoW and possibly EQ2..been a while. I loved that RPPvP WoW server. Its the only place I max capped a character. Lots of fun battles and got my own fair share of ganked done to me. Loved it all the time.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 27, 2008, 08:21:03 PM

I should also mention in case it wasn't obvious, and assuming we align up with the same server choice, everyone here is welcome to join us in The Wanderers.  I'm anticipating we'll have a base of about 30 players by the time release hits, so hopefully with OO/GT we can get closer to 50+ which would be a nice solid number if we want to get involved in city building and battlekeeps. 

If not, we should at least coordinate getting on the same server  nod
hmm, I'd love to actually join the wanderes for once, instead of just reading about you guys. The big problem is, I'm Euro, so, the time difference is going to a bitch! but, if its an Rp-PVP server as Daehawk mentioned, I'm in...I could be in charge of the nightshift ;-)

A new one
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »

Conclusion you can draw from this vote so far.  People who like FFA are inflexible.

About RP PvP server, haven't heard anything from the devs about it lately.  Not sure if it will be available at launch.  It might just be the same as FFA server but with the RP label.  We'll have to wait and see.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 12:47:59 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 27, 2008, 08:45:39 PM

Wanderers are usually on a RP PvP server right? Least thats the way I recall WoW and possibly EQ2..been a while. I loved that RPPvP WoW server. Its the only place I max capped a character. Lots of fun battles and got my own fair share of ganked done to me. Loved it all the time.

Hmmm you may have got us mixed up with someone else.  We generally play on a standard server (largest remaining contingent continues on a standard WoW server), though have been known to splinter off onto other server types.  I don't think a group of us has ever done RP PvP.  The guild was formed in DAOC during the Gone Gold days (close to 7 years ago I think) so for some years was kind of known as the unofficial official GG guild.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 03:16:18 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 28, 2008, 12:47:59 AM

Hmmm you may have got us mixed up with someone else.  We generally play on a standard server (largest remaining contingent continues on a standard WoW server), though have been known to splinter off onto other server types.  I don't think a group of us has ever done RP PvP.  The guild was formed in DAOC during the Gone Gold days (close to 7 years ago I think) so for some years was kind of known as the unofficial official GG guild.

We have always had a splinter group that do PvP servers, but it's generally been under 5-10 people depending on the game.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 05:11:33 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 28, 2008, 03:16:18 AM

Quote from: rittchard on April 28, 2008, 12:47:59 AM

We have always had a splinter group that do PvP servers, but it's generally been under 5-10 people depending on the game.

Ya as I recall in WoW there were never more than 2 or 3 others on at a time if that many. People would stay in the guild till higher lvl then move on to other ones.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 07:23:28 AM »

Quote from: skystride on April 27, 2008, 10:29:11 PM

Conclusion you can draw from this vote so far.  People who like FFA are inflexible.

About RP PvP server, haven't heard anything from the devs about it lately.  Not sure if it will be available at launch.  It might just be the same as FFA server but with the RP label.  We'll have to wait and see.

bah...would have loved if they actually had what they claim on the website they have...a robust set of rules in place to enforce the RP label, instead of just a nametag on the server...

A new one
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »

Keeping this poll bumped up!  deadhorse

Hope to see some of you this weekend in the Fileplanet beta!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »

I'll be there - hopefully! got a birthday and a party coming up though, but really hope to squeeze in some hours in between that and my GF who doesnt understand MMO's ;-)

I'll go by the surprising handle of Razgon if no-one has taken it...

A new one
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »

Voted standard as I suspect that is the best way to keep the guild numbers up.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:03 PM »

Just curious, are any of you (typically) interested in getting involved in crafting aspects (particularly as it pertains to city building)?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 29, 2008, 10:41:03 PM

Just curious, are any of you (typically) interested in getting involved in crafting aspects (particularly as it pertains to city building)?

Looking for an architect, eh?

I'll always do crafting, but not at the expense of the main game. Crafting can be fun, but i'd rather not sit at home sewing while there are heads to be hewn!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 06:03:59 AM »

Me smash - me sew little, then me smash more!!

A new one
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 05:34:11 PM »

One more little bump before release hits in... yow only 11 days!!!

Looks fairly clear where the majority is here - just interested if Open beta drew any other people or changed anyone's  minds at all...
koanicriddle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 07:38:29 PM »

Standard only for me, though I'm definitely interested in the end-game PvP.  Would love to join the Wanderers once the game launches...
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 02:42:54 AM »

Standard PvE for me.  I've gotten my fill by leveling 3 70s on WoW PvP and if I never have to play one again it's too soon.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: