http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:17:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer / Re-Eval event for ex-players!  (Read 8617 times)
LoneStarSpur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2010, 09:59:40 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Roguetad. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Taking on multiples is a ton of fun. I think I'm mostly dying a lot because I pretty much suck.  icon_lol And that's OK. I don't get to play a lot so it's hard to get better at it. And I keep forgetting about Demon form (really need to hot key that spell) and I don't use dodge or anything because my old reflexes ain't quite what they used to be so I just keep doing combos and Fire Breath until they, or I, die. Works most of the time!

Really looking forward to leaving Tortage for the last time.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2010, 10:34:12 PM »

HoX is definitely a fun class. It was an original I rolled back in 2008. When I came back for the expansion, I started a Bear Shaman and have had loads of fun with that one too, so my HoX was neglected for a bit. Then I pulled out the HoX again recently and started to re-learn it. He's level 44 now, and I just finished a couple runs through Sanctum that netted me a blue 2h sword and some armour as well. I discovered that when grouped a HoX can be even more fun, since you can do all the longer combos without interruption while the tank has aggro. (once the tank died on a bad pull and I was next, forgetting to pop Phoenix Cloak as I died under a hail of blows. Self rez time.)

I used to transform, then hellstep to my target and watch them burn. Now, I took the feat that stuns nearby mobs when I transform, so I keep the transformation as a CC move if I expect adds. Pillar of Flame in the midst of stunned mobs is very satisfying.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on July 27, 2010, 10:34:12 PM

HoX is definitely a fun class. It was an original I rolled back in 2008. When I came back for the expansion, I started a Bear Shaman and have had loads of fun with that one too, so my HoX was neglected for a bit. Then I pulled out the HoX again recently and started to re-learn it. He's level 44 now, and I just finished a couple runs through Sanctum that netted me a blue 2h sword and some armour as well. I discovered that when grouped a HoX can be even more fun, since you can do all the longer combos without interruption while the tank has aggro. (once the tank died on a bad pull and I was next, forgetting to pop Phoenix Cloak as I died under a hail of blows. Self rez time.)

I used to transform, then hellstep to my target and watch them burn. Now, I took the feat that stuns nearby mobs when I transform, so I keep the transformation as a CC move if I expect adds. Pillar of Flame in the midst of stunned mobs is very satisfying.

I'm pretty sure that will turn into English for me when I get my HOX to a higher level.  icon_biggrin

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2010, 03:55:04 AM »

HoXen are a whole lot of fun to play, I have one at 37 and one at 63.  I think the Avatar tree is more fun to play, the Possession tree does more damage on longer fights.    And I second spec'ing hellfire breath to be insta cast. My rotation is hellfire, combo, hellfire, combo, hellfire, combo. You can use it after you've started your combo wind up so if it isn't off cooldown you start the next combo, hellfire, then finish it.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2010, 05:45:38 PM »

Finished up Tortage last night. Off to the big, wide world! Looking forward to it.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »

I think they really made healing a fun class option in AoC.  I was playing my lvl60 something bear shaman with a barbarian last night, and it really felt like a conan movie while we were both kicking ass and fighting.  While I was in the middle of melee next to the dual wielding barbarian, my heals (which give me a damage boost) were running in the background doing their job.  It's just so refreshing not to have targeted heals. Positioning and timing are important, but aside from that, I'm freed up to fight and have fun.  

They gave Bear Shaman cool auras now called Manifestations that have a primary and secondary effect.  The primary effect is the aura itself, usually a penalty to the enemies ability to fight.  The secondary effect, which is triggered by the Internal Bleed combo, will trigger things like bonuses to armor, a poison damage over time effect, a snare, or a fire based damage over time effect.  They last 25 seconds each, and can be cycled through non stop.    
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:08:15 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2010, 01:42:54 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on August 02, 2010, 09:06:11 PM

I think they really made healing a fun class option in AoC.  I was playing my lvl60 something bear shaman with a barbarian last night, and it really felt like a conan movie while we were both kicking ass and fighting.  While I was in the middle of melee next to the dual wielding barbarian, my heals (which give me a damage boost) were running in the background doing their job.  It's just so refreshing not to have targeted heals. Positioning and timing are important, but aside from that, I'm freed up to fight and have fun.  

They gave Bear Shaman cool auras now called Manifestations that have a primary and secondary effect.  The primary effect is the aura itself, usually a penalty to the enemies ability to fight.  The secondary effect, which is triggered by the Internal Bleed combo, will trigger things like bonuses to armor, a poison damage over time effect, a snare, or a fire based damage over time effect.  They last 25 seconds each, and can be cycled through non stop.    

Indeed. Bear Shamans are the best battle-healer I've played in any MMO. Wade in with the tank and melee dps to maximize heals. I was part of an amphitheater run the other night and the dps were both casters, so I was up there with the 2 tanks fighting the bosses, which is not what I'm used to as a healer in other games. My buddy was there (demonologist) and called me afterwards to say I looked like a maniac dashing around to position just right for the healing and auras, all while swinging the enormous mallet I use.

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2010, 03:06:43 PM »

The day this game becomes free to play, I am SO back smile

I loved the game intensely for a month (this sounds wrong somehow  ninja ), but suddenly stopped. I never really knew why I just didn't bother logging in again, I think it was the 'meh'-feeling of many quests and zones after Tortage. I hate generic "kill x"-quests with a loathing, so that was probably it. Too bad though, I probably had the most 'gaming fun' with AoC of all the MMO's I've tried. It just didn't hook me.

But if it ever becomes free to play, I'm sure to give it another go.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »

Made it all the way to 25 yesterday! Yeah! smile

Been questing around Stygia, but I'm running low on doable quests, so I think I'll check out Aquilonia to see what that offers.

I have a few questions, if someone wouldn't mind answering.

How the heck to you change your bind point?
I have about 700 unspent skill points and there doesn't seem to be much to spend them on (besides having Casting Concentration(?) maxed)? Any suggestions?
Do blocking and dodging in melee really help?

Someone send me a guild invite? Damolan (stupid name that I might change).

Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on August 19, 2010, 05:42:01 PM

Made it all the way to 25 yesterday! Yeah! smile

Been questing around Stygia, but I'm running low on doable quests, so I think I'll check out Aquilonia to see what that offers.

I have a few questions, if someone wouldn't mind answering.

How the heck to you change your bind point?
I have about 700 unspent skill points and there doesn't seem to be much to spend them on (besides having Casting Concentration(?) maxed)? Any suggestions?
Do blocking and dodging in melee really help?

Someone send me a guild invite? Damolan (stupid name that I might change).
Theres an NPC called a Wayfarer that allows you to bind to that location, you can find them in various places around the world however Old Tarantia is probably your best bet for a bind point as it's a centrally located hub that has access to all the other locations.

Skill points for the most part have very little value. I assume youíre a caster so keep casting concentration maxed. Beyond that stick a few points in running and bump up your climbing skill as needed for various quests. Otherwise there isnít much to spend your points on unless youíre a rogue class.

Blocking is ok for healers or casters that pull agro to ward off some damage until the tank can get it back but otherwise I find itís not very efficient. You burn stamina while holding block and having 0 stamina leaves you even more vulnerable. Dodging (double tapping a movement key) can be useful in tough fights as you can periodically dance away from mobs but to be honest itís once again easier to just bash stuff and kill it. In PvP dodging is extremely important and is integral to winning most fights.

Which server are you playing on?

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »

I am also playing again.  I've got my ranger to 26, my barbarian to 30 and my assassin to 23.  I'm sticking with my ranger for now though I hear the assassin really takes off after 30.

As for skill points...casters should max casting concentration.  I also max run speed (run quicker) and endurance (recover quicker) especially with the PvP mini games available now.  Perception may also play an important role as you level higher and do more of the "minis".  Climbing skill I've read doesn't need to go higher than 200 for a very long time (250 is around the max you need and there are +50 climbing gloves available).

I'm playing on wiccana and it's decent as long as you ignore global chat smile  My biggest problem (like WoW) is that I like almost all of the classes.  I have severe alt-itus.

I should also mention that you can reset your skills at any time.  Just hold down ALT and click the - sign and it gives you the points back to redistribute.  Too bad it doesn't work with feats too smile
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:06:55 AM by ericb » Logged
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2010, 09:38:15 PM »

Thanks for the tips, guys. Helpful and much appreciated.

I'm on Set.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »

They just announced the new "premium" subscription rewards for AoC:

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=3251&table=CONTENT

A pretty nice deal...and I went ahead and got the 12 month package.  I figure 14 months at $98 is only $7 a month, includes the 15 bonus off-line levels, the pet, the cache and the 10% exp cloak on top of the other stuff it includes.  Not bad and my supply of the 60 day cards is drying up around here anyway (the ones they've been selling for $15).
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2010, 07:01:57 PM »

Quote from: ericb on August 20, 2010, 05:59:51 PM

They just announced the new "premium" subscription rewards for AoC:

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=3251&table=CONTENT

A pretty nice deal...and I went ahead and got the 12 month package.  I figure 14 months at $98 is only $7 a month, includes the 15 bonus off-line levels, the pet, the cache and the 10% exp cloak on top of the other stuff it includes.  Not bad and my supply of the 60 day cards is drying up around here anyway (the ones they've been selling for $15).

Sounds cool. Might be time for me to get the expansion too. Really loving the game.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2010, 05:54:58 PM »

Now that my HoX is 30, I have 14 off line levels available.

I'm not really sure it's wise to use them since I obviously don't have the gear or coin to use a level 44 character properly.

Should I use them or not?

Stupid me...it's better to wait until the 60's to use them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:59:17 PM by LoneStarSpur » Logged

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2010, 02:28:45 AM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on August 22, 2010, 05:54:58 PM

Now that my HoX is 30, I have 14 off line levels available.

I'm not really sure it's wise to use them since I obviously don't have the gear or coin to use a level 44 character properly.

Should I use them or not?

Stupid me...it's better to wait until the 60's to use them.

I know...I'm looking at mine and thinking I sure would like to get to 50 quick (so I can get the free 50 smile) but the idea of getting 2 characters to 60 and then taking them both to 80 immediately sounds so much better.  Have my Demonologist at 25 now and I think I'm going to settle of playing my Ranger and Demo since I've enjoyed the 2 of them the most.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »

I've only been using the offline levels for when I start to run out of quests in a zone, or start to get bored of that zone, especially when I'm right near the threshold of another milestone (going from lvl59 to 60).  The zones are so full of quests now, with repeatable quests too, that you don't really even need the offline levels.  Not only are the 30-80 zones full of too many quests to do before they turn green, but the zones overlap with quests too.  It's a nice dilemma to have.  It's a very different experience than what the game was at launch. 

If there's a feat that I've really been looking forward to using or maxing out, I'll spend some offline levels to get it (or max it out).  I'm at the point now where my level 70 something character could just ride out the free levels to 80, but I'm enjoying Khashetta too much to do that.     
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »

they're offering a new 10 day trial for anyone interested.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »

decided to give this another go after getting an email about a deal on subscription time.  I have been meaning to for awhile and that finally got me to re-downloading the client to see if I cared enough to play some more.  got in and found out all the skill points I spent had been reset plus my mammoth is gone.  I'm guessing the mammoth missing has something to do with the free to play restrictions but I'm not looking forward to re-planning how to spend 70 or so points.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: