http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 09:06:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer / Re-Eval event for ex-players!  (Read 7866 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 12:44:23 AM »

the Fileplanet Beta has started giving out keys.  it starts the 6th and ends the 10th.

Subscribers only though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »

here's the launch trailer.  I started downloading the Fileplanet deal last night, it's a hefty 15 gigs.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »

the beta is now open to everyone.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 06:29:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2010, 11:39:11 PM

Gameplay ends Monday, May 10th!

download the massive 15 GB file and PLAY

oh hey, using fileplanets 56k servers you might have this downloaded may 10, 2020.

what a joke this is.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2010, 06:37:45 AM »

installing the client right now.  odd, it wants to name the game folder 'Marketing 2'.

hopefully I got the right game  paranoid icon_lol

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2010, 07:48:47 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 08, 2010, 06:29:06 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2010, 11:39:11 PM

Gameplay ends Monday, May 10th!

download the massive 15 GB file and PLAY

oh hey, using fileplanets 56k servers you might have this downloaded may 10, 2020.

what a joke this is.
Fileplanet speeds are fine...but hey, keep bitching if it makes you feel good.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2010, 08:04:24 AM »

after installing there's a bunch of patching to be done, about 1.5 gigs worth.  you start off on the beach in Tortage, but there's a staute you click on that takes you to a test lobby where you can automagically level up your toon.  been playing around with video settings, the game gives me a warning that I'm using older drivers and I should use cat 9.12 or above; I'm using 10.3  icon_lol

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »

Is anyone going to play this for official release?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 10, 2010, 06:47:30 PM

if Red Dead Redemption weren't coming out next week I'd probably be grabbing this.  I was also getting major graphics glitches with the shadows turned on so I'm going to wait until they fix that (unless they patched it over the weekend, I totally forgot to play again).

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 10, 2010, 07:20:21 PM

Quote from: rittchard on May 10, 2010, 06:47:30 PM

if Red Dead Redemption weren't coming out next week I'd probably be grabbing this.

Ditto.  I liked Age of Conan a lot.  But RDR is going to take a lot of my time unless it really blows, which I'm kinda' doubting.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 09:17:27 AM »

I've resubbed and will be playing AoC:RotG as well later today..or rather, probably late tonight and then for real come tomorrow, knowing expansion launches :-)

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 11, 2010, 09:17:27 AM

I've resubbed and will be playing AoC:RotG as well later today..or rather, probably late tonight and then for real come tomorrow, knowing expansion launches :-)

are you suggesting they haven't learned their lesson from all other expansion pack launches and will find their servers overwhelmed because people surprisingly want to play their game?

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »

Seems I was right - launch has been delayed 6 hours already due to "unforseen issues".

A new one
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »

The Eurogamer review rates the add on poorly. Lots fo comments below it with points being made against the review. However after the inital release it's difficult to know.

I wa shoping it would be great but the Chinese theme doesn't appeal to me at all.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »

Yeah, not a good review - others have been far better. I guess its a matter of whether you like the game or not from the start. I've always liked it, despite its faults, so I'm sure I'll love the expansion. And for 20 bucks, its not that big a deal for me thankfully :-)

Too bad the euro buddy keys dont work - would be fun to play with you again, Reemul :-)

A new one
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »

I will pick this up again in the next few weeks. Just levelling my Hunter to 80 in WoW, at 78 now but once i get to level 80 i will move on.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 07:05:27 PM »

Eurogamer pulled the review saying that, although fair and accurate, it wasn't up to their standards.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/age-of-conan-rise-of-the-godslayer-review

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »

Well, not that anyone should be surprised, but Funcom didnt get to launch the game at the 11th of may as they said they would... Besides the 12 hours downtime, they had another 15 hours of extended downtime.... oh well, its what we expected

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 12, 2010, 06:02:27 AM

Well, not that anyone should be surprised, but Funcom didnt get to launch the game at the 11th of may as they said they would... Besides the 12 hours downtime, they had another 15 hours of extended downtime.... oh well, its what we expected

Doh!

Well, let us know how the game actually is once you get a chance to play it. I'm curious.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 11, 2010, 02:17:42 PM

Quote from: Razgon on May 11, 2010, 09:17:27 AM

are you suggesting they haven't learned their lesson from all other expansion pack launches and will find their servers overwhelmed because people surprisingly want to play their game?
Amen.  Roll Eyes icon_lol

I got the e-mail from Funcom, but I'd rather let other people be the guinea pigs as to whether the whole game is now "just like Tortage."

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »

Will do - I'm probably a bit biased though, since I love the game already. I've restarted with a new character, a Khitain Necromancer in order to try out the new 20-40 level area. The lvl 80 areas I cant talk much about, since due to my altholism my highest character is currently lvl 69.

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »

And....another 6 hour downtime in primetime for europeans...just as we got vacation as well... sometimes, I DO get annoyed at funcom, and this is one of those times.

A new one
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

So...I really enjoyed AoC when it came out....is it worth breaking out my 80 guardian and doing everything or is the game so vastly different I should just roll a new character?

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »

There is a LOT of content for lvl 80's...the expansion just added tier4 dungeons, and added factions to the game as well. That said, if you played some time ago, your guardian will play a lot differently I think.

A new one
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2010, 06:07:47 PM »

Cool. I think I'll give it a shot. I'm glad they changed the Guardian...all he did was spam thorn procs and let everything kill itself beating on me.

Thanks Raz!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »

I ended up getting this on a whim and re-installed last night. I want to check out the new area in all its DX10 glory.

The guild is still there, I guess - it's called The Wanderers (Legacy of Derketo), kind of neat, and I think the city is still there but I completely forgot how to play so I don't know how to get there lol.

I'll probably start a new character or 2 and explore the new area just for kicks, and then maybe try to get my original guy to 80 (left him at 76) and see about the alternate advancement.

I read the new area is mainly for new characters and higher ones (upper 70s) but not much in the middle.  Now I just have to figure out how to get there.  And what "Feats" are lol.  Basically I don't know how to play the game.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »

Maybe I'll see you in game Ritt  icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 12, 2010, 06:33:38 PM

I ended up getting this on a whim and re-installed last night. I want to check out the new area in all its DX10 glory.

do you get a lot of flickering with the shadows in DX10?

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 12, 2010, 06:58:11 PM

Too soon to tell, I can't even tell if I'm actually running the DX10 engine smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 12, 2010, 10:15:42 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 12, 2010, 06:58:11 PM

Too soon to tell, I can't even tell if I'm actually running the DX10 engine smile

it's under the graphics options.  one tab lets you select with directx you use and then there's a dx10 tab that is unlocked once you select dx10.  that is unless they've changed stuff since the 'open beta' started last Friday.
it's under the graphics options.  one tab has

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »

Yeah I activated something which said DX10 Test (I think) but then I got some message about possibly needing to restart, so I don't know if it ever worked or not.   Seems like there are a ton more graphics options than I remembered.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »

Eurogamer posted a new review after pulling an earlier review (saying it didn't give the "original reviewer" enough time with the expansion):
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/age-of-conan-rise-of-the-godslayer-review-final
You have to wade through several paragraphs about how lousy AoC was at launch to get to the Godslayer comments...
Gateway to Khitai is a testament to how much Funcom has learned since the launch of Age of Conan. One of the most prevalent and valid criticisms of the game was that after the fantastic, rich Tortage experience, the game dumped you into zones that were comparatively devoid of content and arguably downright dull. Much has been improved in those original zones, admittedly, but Gateway is what they should have been from the outset.
The Asian setting has given Conan's art team a new lease of life, not only in terms of the breathtakingly beautiful environments, but also with gear that finally looks as epic as it sounds. Maintaining the game's low-fantasy feel while still providing players with visual rewards for their efforts is a tough balancing act, but it's one the game's artists have finally mastered, it seems. Most impressive of all are the new Tiger and Wolf mounts, each of which demands vast investment of time and effort to acquire, but which will provide dedicated players with the "wow!" factor the game had, thus far, been lacking.
Gateway to Khitai is a welcome addition to the early game, but it's all you'll see of the expansion for a long while, with by far the best of the content being locked away behind the Great Wall. [the new endgame content, with enemies up to L85 though player cap remains at L80]

For those active in Age of Conan already, however, Godslayer is a great step for the game. With well-considered new features, glorious artwork and fantastic music, it demonstrates Funcom's design and art teams firing on all cylinders, building on the work done by the technical team in bringing the game up to scratch over the past two years.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »

getting near to 80 with my main thanks to some offline levelling. smile

having a blast with Kato in open world pvp/levelling.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 05:18:14 PM »

I wish they'd added more in the 70-75 or so range. Assuming they haven't deleted my old chararacters, I had one at 72.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »

it's still a bit sparse from 70-75 or so.  thankfully you can do the solo villas and still level up pretty fast.  between that and offline levelling 80 was easy. 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 01, 2010, 10:27:08 AM

it's still a bit sparse from 70-75 or so.  thankfully you can do the solo villas and still level up pretty fast.  between that and offline levelling 80 was easy. 

The whole offline leveling thing seems bizarre to me.  Particularly given that you can't do it until level 30.  Seems to me like it would make more sense to skip the basic beginner content by leveling automatically to 30 and then stop offline leveling after that, not the other way around.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »

I don't know how companies market "offline leveling."

"We know you don't want to play our game, now you can level without even having to suffer through it!"
"We know you're sick of playing MMOs, and so are we! But we all want to level up! Now you can do it without even having to play!"
"Who wants to play, when you can just level offline!'"
"We'd put in more mid level content but we'd rather you blow through all that offline and reach the cap!"

I realize in this case it's more - I assume - to get players up to the L80 cap faster and see the high end Godslayer content.

Me I would've rather seen maybe 55-75 content reinforcements. I tend to lose interest when I hit an MMO's level cap, it doesn't matter how many raids and high end Loot Fests they add.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »

Just got an email invite to play the expansion free for 10 days.  If I resub they will give me some goodies too.  Not really tempted but just wanted to give people a heads up to check their email if they are former players.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »

There is actually more to do at level 80 in AoC than in 1-79 combined. 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2010, 01:58:14 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 01, 2010, 06:09:33 PM

There is actually more to do at level 80 in AoC than in 1-79 combined. 

Is that mostly raid and PvP stuff, or is that stuff that someone playing casually and often solo can do?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: