http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 08:04:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer / Re-Eval event for ex-players!  (Read 9040 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:53:18 PM »

BY CROM!

<cough><hack><gasp>

purple pagodas!

incredible martial arts moves!

all-new character race!

DirectX 10 graphics! (eventually  icon_wink)

hundreds of new, lovingly crafted quests!

no new level cap though.  still, I think I may check it out, if only because I want a pet tiger I can name Tony.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:20:27 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:27:46 AM »

that link goes somewhere weird.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:01:38 AM »

Works just fine for me. Looks pretty cool, too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 04:17:31 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 19, 2009, 01:01:38 AM

Works just fine for me. Looks pretty cool, too.
I SWEAR you say that in response to EVERYTHING!  icon_lol

I don't know about "lovingly crafted" quests.  icon_smile I wish they'd add more of those magical things to the about 60-75 part of the game. Maybe I'd still be playing.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:05:54 AM »

So, that means a new starting area for the new character race I guess? Interesting....

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:51:15 AM »

a new interview with screenshots.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 03:51:38 PM »

right now they're giving the expansion away for free to anyone who signs up for 1 year of play time, which also has a 45% discount.

Because I can,
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2009, 03:51:38 PM

right now they're giving the expansion away for free to anyone who signs up for 1 year of play time, which also has a 45% discount.

I tried this and couldn't get through 8 levels without getting bored.  Perhaps it's just that I'm MMO'd all out or something, but it didn't have any life to me. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:10:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on November 12, 2009, 04:25:18 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2009, 03:51:38 PM

I tried this and couldn't get through 8 levels without getting bored.  Perhaps it's just that I'm MMO'd all out or something, but it didn't have any life to me. 
That may be so, but now that you can buy "Breast enlargement" potions, surely that will bring it back to life for you, right?  smirk

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:28:20 AM »

I got my e-mail reminder about PLEASE COME BAAAACK!
Your level 72 , Blackjackian, awaits your return to Age of Conan!
Now you can play Age of Conan again for 14 days completely FREE of charge! This offer does not require any purchase as long as you act before November 27th, 2009. There are also some amazing rewards available to you if you purchase game time now!

Playing
PC
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 02:43:41 PM »

I'm downloading the client now...I actually left a long time ago while I still liked the game (more time and other games related) and there's a good chance I will grab the one year sub.  Less than $100 for a year of playtime, bonuses and the expansion.  I've spent $100 on a nice dinner before smile

Still going to try it out during the free 14 days before committing though  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 04:17:42 PM »

theyll be 'screening' the expansion pack today for about an hours worth of gameplay.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:30 AM »

here's a video preview of the Chosain province.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »

I've been considering resubbing this game..I REALLY like it - its a great game now, and the most atmospheric game I've ever played... perhaps if they give a good deal with the expansion I'll do so. I need an MMO dammit!

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »

Has it really changed that much from say about 2 months after release?(thats when I canned it)

Like most I loved the game pre-20, not so much after that.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 10:12:46 PM »

I revisited AoC a couple of times. While there's definitely more content at certain higher levels now (especially around, say 55-63 or so), I still found a lot of dead zones that left me scrabbling for interesting things to do. Or areas that I could handle solo. While they belatedly added more voice to the post-Tortage areas, it's still disappointing to go from 1-20 of fully voiced quests and NPC interactions to total silence (for the most part).

It reminds me of something questioning whether Bioware, which plans to make every line of dialogue in SWOTR fully voiced, is going to have the resources to keep that up even with post-release content updates.

Funcom announced another server merge (bringing it down to 2 PvE and 1 PvP servers, I believe). Between that and the recent attempt to basically bully players with canceled accounts to return or risk losing their characters (of certain character levels, I forgot the range) -- I assume that's related to the server merge; they don't want to have to go to the expense of transferring mothballed characters to another server -- I sense something resembling desperation on Funcom's part.

I still think it has the funnest most visceral combat (melee at least, and pets) of any fantasy MMO I've played. And the storyline quests (which unfortunately thin out in frequency very quickly) are fun. But to me, once you've done one splattering beheading, and run by a bunch of buck naked female character models (created by players who want to ogle themselves, apparently), the thrill sort of wears off, and frankly, you start to feel a little embarassed.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:18:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 07:36:34 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 18, 2010, 10:07:21 PM

Has it really changed that much from say about 2 months after release?(thats when I canned it)

hell yes...its pretty good nowadays - most of the things people complained about, namely lack of levelling areas, has been adressed by now. Its a very good game, as far as MMO's go, although a bit lacking in endgame raids and such though, I've been told. I never get that far, so I dont care about that, but they are up to Tier 3 I think now in raiding, whereas they were barely done with Tier one when it released as far as I can remember.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »

introducing the factions.  12 total, 2 of which you have to find for yourself (or wait for a FAQ on them  icon_wink)

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 11:44:41 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 19, 2010, 07:36:34 AM

Quote from: Arclight on January 18, 2010, 10:07:21 PM

hell yes...its pretty good nowadays - most of the things people complained about, namely lack of levelling areas, has been adressed by now. Its a very good game, as far as MMO's go, although a bit lacking in endgame raids and such though, I've been told. I never get that far, so I dont care about that, but they are up to Tier 3 I think now in raiding, whereas they were barely done with Tier one when it released as far as I can remember.

Did they ever put that mechanic in of your guild building its own town and having a rival NPC town getting built next to it, then having to defend your town from raids?
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »

Funcom is a perfect example of a company stepping on its own crank.  They made on of the best RPGs out there (Longest Journey), put out AOC which dispite having an amazing survival story was an appalling release.  Ten they release AOC. They should have learned from AC but noooooo, they botch the release due to lack of content, missing content people were expecting (barroom brawling?), toning down the mature theme (I wanted WENCHES!) and a lackluster game after what was one of the greatest starter/tutorial areas ever made in Tortage.  Combine this with the standard mix of bugs, crashes, class ballancing, and general pay for play beta attitude that MMO's have grown and I'm not surprised they are failing.

And I liked the game quite a lot, just got boring once you started getting up in levels.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »

Kara Kroum

Because I can,
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »

That is a pretty lackluster promo video.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on February 19, 2010, 06:56:52 PM

You are *very* bitter at AoC, arent you? ;-)

Anyways - video caught my interest...since I like Conan, I'll be getting this once it comes out.

If they can build the storư like the video hints at, I'm very much pleased

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »

some new screenshots and concept art.  hairy snake man looks kinda creepy.

Because I can,
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 08:48:32 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 19, 2010, 09:58:37 PM

Quote from: Wargus on February 19, 2010, 06:56:52 PM

You are *very* bitter at AoC, arent you? ;-)

Anyways - video caught my interest...since I like Conan, I'll be getting this once it comes out.

If they can build the storư like the video hints at, I'm very much pleased

I suppose I am.  It is fantastic IP that is executed very well for 20 levels, then its like they said "ok, we are done. The rest is just filler."

Still, that video really didn't show you anything except scenery, and it wasn't all that interesting looking.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 11:38:17 PM »

Just for Wargus, they added the option to start the game at Level 21.  smirk To me the epic story quests were the most interesting in the game and the biggest mistake was reducing their frequency to something like one every 20 quests or so. If they'd had more of that and less kill 12, 24, 30 etc., it would've aided things though I don't think any dev team could've conjured enough content for a 1-80 level game without wide stretches of boredom and "content that you finish several levels before the devs intended you to do them and then suddenly you're bored at the level the devs though you'd do that content you just finished" syndrome.

I'm sure it's not this simple but I would've had maybe a 50 or 60 cap instead, and had a denser mix of storyline quests and reasonably interesting content with those environments. Spreading 80 levels and trying desperately to keep Tortage's quest pace through all that seemed like a losing battle right out of the box.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:41:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 12:23:37 AM »

I agree, I also think that if AOC survives it could become a great game. I'm not really sure either will happen.  I also think that outside of tortage they didn't really capture the feel of Robert Howard's world.  Some of it is really good, a lot is mearly ok.  Anyway, some people love the game and maybe some day I'll go back & try. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 07:08:03 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on February 23, 2010, 12:23:37 AM

I agree, I also think that if AOC survives it could become a great game. I'm not really sure either will happen.  I also think that outside of tortage they didn't really capture the feel of Robert Howard's world.  Some of it is really good, a lot is mearly ok.  Anyway, some people love the game and maybe some day I'll go back & try. 

aye, I agree Wargus - and sorry if I sounded like a dick - was just poking at you :-)

Anyways, the game has improved a LOT, so you defintiely *should* pick it up again someday and see if you like it..although, take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt, since I'm totally an MMO whore and tend to forgive everything if they let me make enough alts :-D

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on February 23, 2010, 12:23:37 AM

I agree, I also think that if AOC survives it could become a great game. I'm not really sure either will happen.  I also think that outside of tortage they didn't really capture the feel of Robert Howard's world.  Some of it is really good, a lot is mearly ok.  Anyway, some people love the game and maybe some day I'll go back & try.  
I always loved the combat. Here and there outside of Tortage they did get imaginative and do some cool things but man, there were loooong dry spells between those.

I'm still of the mind that if they'd had maybe about a L60 level cap, and sort of "layered" the content more so you would have more regions suitable for a given level range, it would've hooked people longer. I've revisited the game a couple of times since my initial subscription. I just still found those dry spots I mentioned were too long.

I maybe mentioned this in another thread, but they'd add content that they'd say was for roughly 55-63 level players. The problem is players often play "over their head," on purpose, and I found I'd completed most of said content around Level 53 or 54. Which meant the content I was supposed to have fun doing at 55-63? Done.  disgust Now if they'd had 3 different regions of roughly 55-63 content, then I'd still have had something fun to do at those levels.

Although I liked many improvements since launch, it's probably no accident they've had to scale back to just 2 servers (one PVE, one PVP). To me it's sad, because they had a massive number of players at launch, they added new U.S. operations (since closed, I believe I read), and were putting up new servers every week for a while. It's a shame the game at launch wasn't what it is now (which is still far from perfect but has so much more to offer imho).

No I don't think it would've challenged WoW in size, but it had a golden opportunity to be the #2 or #3 biggest MMO out there. Instead it's reduced to being another struggling "niche player" perhaps to be later cannibalized by Funcom itself (Secret World, though I dunno if it'll attract the same type audience).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:06:04 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
KillTrash
Gaming Trend Reader

Gaming Fiend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 04:07:04 PM »

I totally agree that this game should have launched with a lower level cap. If they had concentrated most of the content in 50 or 60 levels, the game should have done a lot better in the first couple months after release.

I still think it has one of the funnest combat systems out there. I do love the setting as well and the game is just beautiful. Last time I played, 3 or 4 months ago, most of the problems were dealt with and they are pretty much just working on adding content and polishing the game now. I think the new Director is doing a tremendous job, considering the state of the game when he assumed this position.

I intend to return to the game once the expansion comes out. I just read the article about Alternate Advancement and that sounds like a very cool mechanic. The latest videos shown look pretty nice as well.

XBL | PSN | Steam - KillTrash
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »

I partially agree, however there still would be a content problem.  Look at it like this, they could have focused on a lower level cap and increased the content for those levels, however there would still be the same amount of overall content, you simply choose where you are going to put it, beginning, middle, or endgame.  If people hit 60 with no lvl 60 content, you'd have a lot of dropoff. The benefit is that if you release with enough content for there to be good replayability at lower levels without having to redo stuff then you might have enough time to fill out endgame content.

I think they should have had a lower cap and released with more content in each area and a few more lower level zones.  All of this means they should have spent more time on the game, the problem is that they were out of money and had to release to survive.  I think really they should have built expectations for a more limited content on release than what they touted (and failed to provide), make leveling a lot slower in 1-20 (especially since those levels were so good), lower the level cap and remove one end game zone, adding one more early zone, pushing content down to those earlier levels. They would then have to scramble to get those end zones out. 

Also, they need a way to control level pace better.  There are always the power gamers who insist on pushing to the end as fast as possible.  To avoid this you need to absolutely control the xp gain, potentially artificially limiting it so nobody gets to end game before you intend them too.  Add an alternate level system (EQ2s AA) so they can still work on cool stuff.  Maybe add all the nifty fluff to this AA system (water walking, breathing, what have you).  These last few items are not Conan specific, but general to MMOs.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »

another area tour to relax to.

Because I can,
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »

Anyone know if you can add a new serial code to an existing account to reactivate?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 05:13:28 PM »

the original AoC will be packaged with the expansion.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »

the started the pre-order campaign, and release is set for May 11th.

week before Red Dead and Alan Wake... damn, I won't have the free time.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 04:35:52 PM »

Should be a discount for current subscribers....

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 04:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 22, 2010, 04:35:52 PM

I don't think any of the current MMO's offer discounts for expansions.  IIRC thought they did run a special awhile back for this.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 04:40:32 PM »

oh, I know, but Age of Conan is not doing that well...would be an incentive to get people to resubscribe, especially if they sent out an offer to all previous subscribers with this.

Honestly, while I like the game, it has a VERY poor reputation "out there" due to its somewhat large failure at launch.

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 04:43:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2010, 04:38:55 PM

Quote from: Razgon on April 22, 2010, 04:35:52 PM

I don't think any of the current MMO's offer discounts for expansions.  IIRC thought they did run a special awhile back for this.
While I wouldn't expect a discount on the expansion itself, I'd hope they'd consider some discount subscription pricing options for current subscribers that get the expansion. Or former subscribers who re-activate and get it. Turbine for example used Mines of Moria to bring back some Founders Pricing ($9.99 monthly and more reasonable prices on Lifetime) options.

Me, I dunno. As others have said here, there's just too many level ranges barren of content variety and I'm not convinced Godslayer has enough throughout the level ranges to fix that.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »

X-Fire is going to be having a tour of the game streaming live at 12pm pacific time today.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: