http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 05:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan Impressions  (Read 37220 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2008, 09:09:48 AM »

Tried a bit last night before the 6 hours downtime...and the game ran perfectly smooth for me..strange...

anyways - lvl 19 now ,yay me!

edit: btw, strange thing, it seems that funcom for some reason decided to remove some Emotes? I still wonder at why they are so friggin' bad at making patch notes, where 3/4 of the patched stuff isnt listed in the note?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:18:55 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »

I have emotes appear and disappear on the emote list throughout the day.  It's almost as if they have multiple versions of the game running different zones.  Some zones it's /emote burning and some it's /emote burningman drives me crazy.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »

I'm keeping up with this thread with keen interest.  I'm forming my impressions on your posts.  Here's what I've surmised from this thread...please corect me if I'm wrong.

From an outsiders' perspective, it sounds like AoC is pretty buggy on release - some of the issues described go beyond the general server downtime that I experienced as WoW went live.  LOTRO went off without a hitch, setting the standard for a smooth launch.  However, it sounds far more stable than some others like Vanguard, AO and The Matrix.

From a gameplay perspective, it sounds like the combat system is the thing.  If you love the system and think it brings more skill into play, you like the game.  If you think combat is "just ok", then AoC doesn't have much else to offer. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 27, 2008, 07:52:46 PM

i was reading through the manual last night and it made mention that spells could also be acquired through books you buy or find.  anyone see this in action yet?

I read that too, but have yet to see anything about it anywhere.

Just a little hiccup.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 28, 2008, 12:27:41 PM

From a gameplay perspective, it sounds like the combat system is the thing.  If you love the system and think it brings more skill into play, you like the game.  If you think combat is "just ok", then AoC doesn't have much else to offer. 

My experience has been different. I'm still on the fence about the combat system, mostly because I'm still such a low level. What's been keeping me coming back are the quests and atmosphere in Tortage (the opening town where you spend Levels 1-20). They did a wonderful job with this section of the game at least. Very polished and engaging. I've gotten my money's worth already, just from the perspective of a $40 single-player game.

We'll see how things hold up as I explore other areas. I'm getting a sense later areas aren't so polished, but we'll see soon enough.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 28, 2008, 12:27:41 PM

I'm keeping up with this thread with keen interest.  I'm forming my impressions on your posts.  Here's what I've surmised from this thread...please corect me if I'm wrong.

From an outsiders' perspective, it sounds like AoC is pretty buggy on release - some of the issues described go beyond the general server downtime that I experienced as WoW went live.  LOTRO went off without a hitch, setting the standard for a smooth launch.  However, it sounds far more stable than some others like Vanguard, AO and The Matrix.

Good, but sort of oversimplification. Honestly, I've encountered no bugs that have really impacted my gameplay experience (I was warned about a hitch in the Destiny "finale," but it worked fine). No disconnects, crashes (except when exiting, since fixed), or game-breakers - that's just me, but most in the guild I'm in don't have major problems either.

You'll find plenty who had a different experience, but I saw plenty of complaints on forums during the LOTORO and CoH launches (I played both from launch day one, and I think they were about the smoothest MMO launches you could ask for, but I don't think either had the number of players WoW had at launch, or AoC). At the least, they are doing regular updates and not waiting for a "compilation" of fixes. I think most would say every MMO ever released should've stayed in beta longer. It's a moot point now - I just want to see them keep rolling out these updates regularly.

My pros:
-sure the combat system, including fatalities and the occasional flying heads
-the ability to climb (it adds more to the game than it sounds like it would on paper)
-the Destiny quests remind me a bit of the storyline/character quests in LOTORO
-the sheer volume of PVE quests (maybe it's diff in the 30s but in the 20s I never come close to running out of things to do).

Without spoiling anything, the areas beyond Tortage are massive and sprawling. Visually, that's cool, but I do sometimes miss the feeling Tortage had of everything being in pretty reasonable walking distance, and the feeling that all sorts of things were going on below and around you.

Also, the NPC voices disappear beyond Tortage (I don't know if it was running out of time, money or space on the 2 DVDs), and I really think it sort of hurts the immersiveness not to have those quest-givers talking to you. I hope they find some way to add voices to the post 20-areas, even if it's downloadable add-ons.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »

-the sheer volume of PVE quests (maybe it's diff in the 30s but in the 20s I never come close to running out of things to do).

You'll start to hit a bit of a wall around 37. By that point you've likely largely exhausted the major quest hubs of Connall's Valley, Wild Lands, and Khopsef (or however the f*** you spell it) province. However, I'm sitting at 28 and still have a handful of green/greys to turn in at Connall's, and I've got several yellows between Khopsef and Wild Lands that I could do with caution.

However, even though the content has slacked off from what it was in my 20s, I still feel that I have no shortage of things to do. Even green and grey quests are worth doing in this game due to the nice XP rewards, so until my journal is completely empty I'll be going strong. I've read that new hubs open up at 40, so this hasn't been as much of a speedbump as I thought it would be.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:17:16 PM by YellowKing » Logged
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »

I just exchanged words with a european CM (whom I won't name - though there's probably nothing wrong with him telling me) - and the disappearing model problem is 100% intentional.

Apparently, they received a bunch of complaints during beta, specifically related to performance in Tarantia - and they came up with this "solution" which apparently puts NPC "brains" to sleep when this happens - effectively removing them from existence in those areas. The CM in question agreed completely that this is a drastic and poor solution, but as of yet hasn't been able to get the respective developers to confirm if this is even a recognized problem now.

I don't know why this affects other players as well, but I guess it's an unintentional side-effect.

Anyway, even if they eventually DO recognize it as an issue, it's not for certain it will be fixed any time soon.

They also did a poll after they made this change, and as it turns out 80% don't even see it happening, 10% see it but don't mind, and the remaining 10% have the same opinion as I do.

My personal perception is that this will change over time, once enough people start really noticing how it affects them - especially when grouping in challenging areas - or when PvP'ing in the open world.

I can only hope it will be enough - as I personally simply can't get past it - and I've tried.

If any of you agree that this is a major problem, I urge you to post threads or report it in-game, and best to do it more than once.

Of course, if you don't mind, I can appreciate that I may come off as whining or being unreasonable - it's just one thing I can't stand happening. I wish I could - as the game still shows tremendous promise.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »

I think if I ever saw it happening it would be a minor annoyance but that is about it.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2008, 01:52:23 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 28, 2008, 01:44:58 PM

I think if I ever saw it happening it would be a minor annoyance but that is about it.

Are you saying you would only be slightly annoyed if you were killed by a group of mobs that didn't appear until you were 10 feet away? Several people have reported this happening - and it's not slow loading.

That's the kind of thing that happens with this bug. Also, you can be chasing people in PvP - and they simply pop out of view (not stealth) and only appear in close proximity.

I guess we have very different ideas of what's annoying.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »

I've only seen it once, or rather, I thought it was...it so happened to be someone walking in and out of a tent instead in the volcana in tortage :-D

A new one
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2008, 01:55:41 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on May 28, 2008, 01:52:23 PM

Are you saying you would only be slightly annoyed if you were killed by a group of mobs that didn't appear until you were 10 feet away? Several people have reported this happening - and it's not slow loading.

That's the kind of thing that happens with this bug. Also, you can be chasing people in PvP - and they simply pop out of view (not stealth) and only appear in close proximity.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from your video it seemed to me that from say 100 feet to 40 feet you saw them , then at exactly 40 feet they poofed, then at 39 feet they were back.  To me that is a minor annoyance yes.  But again I have never had it happen in game to me.  As for PvP I could care less.  I play on a PvE server for a reason, because in general I can't stand PvP.  I realise the end game has considerable PvP but it is group based, not solo which makes it at least palpable.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2008, 01:59:16 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 28, 2008, 01:55:41 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but from your video it seemed to me that from say 100 feet to 40 feet you saw them , then at exactly 40 feet they poofed, then at 39 feet they were back.  To me that is a minor annoyance yes.  But again I have never had it happen in game to me.  As for PvP I could care less.  I play on a PvE server for a reason, because in general I can't stand PvP.  I realise the end game has considerable PvP but it is group based, not solo which makes it at least palpable.

I recorded that video at a random place where I could reproduce the bug.

It's easy to reproduce it with 10 feet - as you can test for yourself in the Serpent's Head Inn in Khemi. Actually, it's closer to 6 feet in there.

It happens at random distances - but they always reappear when you get really close.

I'm glad it didn't happen to you (actually, it happens to everyone - but only some see it as a problem), and I understand that you don't care about PvP because you're not into it.

But maybe there are many who do care - which is kind of my point.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on May 28, 2008, 01:59:16 PM

Quote from: Arkon on May 28, 2008, 01:55:41 PM

I recorded that video at a random place where I could reproduce the bug.

It's easy to reproduce it with 10 feet - as you can test for yourself in the Serpent's Head Inn in Khemi. Actually, it's closer to 6 feet in there.

It happens at random distances - but they always reappear when you get really close.

I'm glad it didn't happen to you (actually, it happens to everyone - but only some see it as a problem), and I understand that you don't care about PvP because you're not into it.

But maybe there are many who do care - which is kind of my point.

So you are saying the NPC is completely invisible until you are within 6 feet of it?  I just don't understand how I can not be seeing this happen then, regardless of how low my settings are.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2008, 02:32:23 PM »

Personally I have had mobs spring into existance.  Sometimes some NPCs will be underground (I can see the quest indicator sticking out of the ground) and when I approach they come to the surface.  I completely understand that the mob/NPC/player popping issue frustrates some people.  I play PvE in a game with almost no death penalty.  Shrug.  I got used to dieing on my BS due to horrid early game balance issues so death does not bother me anymore.

AoC has massive amounts of bugs and glitches some of which are known and documented and many of which are not.  There was a ton of last second changes right up to release which pretty much ensures large parts of the game are essentially untested.  There is no good central communication on what is working and what is not(many things may appear to be working and are actually bugged such as talents).  Some people have crowed how successful the launch is without realizeing just how shakey some of the technical aspects are. IMO this is worse than a lot of recent MMO releases(EXCLUDING VANGUARD).  In some ways this pisses me off and in other ways I have excepted them as I am playing a Funcom game which for the most part I enjoy.

DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 28, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »

So you are saying the NPC is completely invisible until you are within 6 feet of it?  I just don't understand how I can not be seeing this happen then, regardless of how low my settings are.

This happens at several areas - but it varies in terms of distance and angles.

For instance, in the Inn in Khemi that I'm talking about, there are NPCs standing near the back of the Inn that are 100% invisible (both visually and in terms of game logic) when you come at them from the entrance. However, if you approach them from the side - to the left in this case - they're visible from far away.

The issue with NPCs is merely annoying and unimmersive - and I could probably handle it if that was the only problem. The real problem is that there are areas - all over the game world - where from several angels and distances EVERYTHING in those areas disappear in the exact same way. This might not sound like a big deal - and unless you happen to be grouping or PvP'ing, it's probably not. But understand that it's not just a visual thing - as the entire logic behind the player/npc/mobs vanishes for the player in question. This means that you won't get quest completion in groups if the mob or other players are in such an area when the mob dies, and you won't be able to find your group member at most distances (when they get further away) in many cases, and worst of all you get killed instantly because such an area happens to be full of mobs - and you don't see them until you get close.

It's the kind of thing that doesn't register for a while - as it resembles simple "loading" delays - but it's something entirely different. Hell, I didn't even notice it for real until I left Tortage.

But, I can promise you this, once you start grouping and you start doing stuff that's not just simple questing - like doing group instances where your performance matters more - you'll start to agree with me.

I'm sure there are similar threads on US forums complaining about this - but for now - the game is still in early launch and most issues are dismissed as "oh well - it happens".

---

About the launch - yeah it was relatively good form a certain point of view. But based on my experience with betas - it's clear to me that there are MANY MANY serious issues left to be resolved - much more so than a typically successful launch. It's not Vanguard or Hellgate - but it sure as hell isn't LOTRO or CoH either. I expect it won't be more than a few weeks until this dawns on the general player population.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 02:49:10 PM by DArtagnan » Logged
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2008, 03:36:14 PM »

I am totally with you on this one, DArtagnan.

Most people don't recognize this as an issue, because they mistake it for the NPC loading lag, which is an annoying but understandable byproduct of server load.

The most annoying/frustrating situations were I've seen the disapperence bug include:

1. A bunch of mobs disappear and then appear 10 feet away from me, immidietly aggroing on me.
2. A mob coming from somewhere while I am fighting other mobs. It would disappear, then suddenly appear close by and adding to the fight. Since it's an add and I didn't see it coming, there is a big chance I die when this happens.
3. I was kiting a mob (stun-run away-nuke). When you run away, there is a chance the disapperence bug strikes, which puts the mob in the evade mode and make it restore all his health and run back to its spawn point. If your spell hits it at this moment, there is a chance the mob will turn back start chasing you again, now with a full health bar.
4. I was tanking a mob and my friend tried to position himself and cone-heal me. Disapperence bug struck and his heal did not affect me, while he was re-positioning I died.
5. When you run as a group, your groupmates pop in and out of existance, which leads to "WTF did you go?" moments and groupmates getting lost. When disapperence bug strikes, it affects the map markers as well (whcih for some stupid reason are so short ranged to begin with)
6. When a target (PvP or PvE) disappears, it gets de-selected, forcing you to select it again if you are a caster. This can happen multiple time during a fight.
7. It's extremelly annoying to see a huge mammoth mount to run across the screen popping in and out all the time.

Sometimes I can ignore it (while still being annoyed by it), but sometimes it bites you in the ass.

By the way, "there is no death penalty" is not an argument, I am not playing to die and run back to the corpse all the time, even if it costs me nothing but wasted time.

This issue gets on my nerve more and more every day. Mostly due to the fact that I am grouping all the time. I hope people will start complaining more after they experience a couple of group wipes caused by this.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on May 28, 2008, 03:36:14 PM

I am totally with you on this one, DArtagnan.

Most people don't recognize this as an issue, because they mistake it for the NPC loading lag, which is an annoying but understandable byproduct of server load.

The most annoying/frustrating situations were I've seen the disapperence bug include:

1. A bunch of mobs disappear and then appear 10 feet away from me, immidietly aggroing on me.
2. A mob coming from somewhere while I am fighting other mobs. It would disappear, then suddenly appear close by and adding to the fight. Since it's an add and I didn't see it coming, there is a big chance I die when this happens.
3. I was kiting a mob (stun-run away-nuke). When you run away, there is a chance the disapperence bug strikes, which puts the mob in the evade mode and make it restore all his health and run back to its spawn point. If your spell hits it at this moment, there is a chance the mob will turn back start chasing you again, now with a full health bar.
4. I was tanking a mob and my friend tried to position himself and cone-heal me. Disapperence bug struck and his heal did not affect me, while he was re-positioning I died.
5. When you run as a group, your groupmates pop in and out of existance, which leads to "WTF did you go?" moments and groupmates getting lost. When disapperence bug strikes, it affects the map markers as well (whcih for some stupid reason are so short ranged to begin with)
6. When a target (PvP or PvE) disappears, it gets de-selected, forcing you to select it again if you are a caster. This can happen multiple time during a fight.
7. It's extremelly annoying to see a huge mammoth mount to run across the screen popping in and out all the time.

Sometimes I can ignore it (while still being annoyed by it), but sometimes it bites you in the ass.

By the way, "there is no death penalty" is not an argument, I am not playing to die and run back to the corpse all the time, even if it costs me nothing but wasted time.

This issue gets on my nerve more and more every day. Mostly due to the fact that I am grouping all the time. I hope people will start complaining more after they experience a couple of group wipes caused by this.

I'm sorry to hear about your many frustrations - and it seems you've been suffering even more than myself.

That said, I'm glad that others are starting to realise the extent to which this bug affects the quality of the gaming experience. Now, several others have told me of similar experiences, but I was wondering if some of us are just too sensitive in terms of this bug.

But the way you describe the issues, serves to reinforce my position and I still can't believe they launched with such a half-assed solution. I'm sure they needed to compromise somewhere to gain performance, but the side-effects are obviously extremely bad - and unless they want people leaving in droves once they start raiding and siege battles, they HAVE to figure out another compromise.

I just hope it doesn't have to take months, because my free month is ticking and I can't enjoy myself with this going on.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »

D'Art,

Does that bug happen for everyone?  Or just for those with lower-end PCs?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 28, 2008, 04:36:18 PM

D'Art,

Does that bug happen for everyone?  Or just for those with lower-end PCs?

It's server side - so every single player is affected.

However, people with lower settings will most likely have a much shorter visibility range - because the settings will be set to low.

So, it won't be quite as noticable for some people.

The primary reason that so many people haven't noticed yet - I suspect - is because most start out with solo'ing, and many don't really group until the later stages. The game is VERY solo friendly, and even though some people (like myself and StriderGG above) feel strongly affected even when going solo, most probably just shrug it off as "standard early issue".

However, the problem is increased exponentially the more you start grouping or doing PvP with many people involved. It's only a matter of time before the general population becomes aware of it, and by then Funcom might not be ready with a solution in time. I'm not trying to spell doom, and I'm sure the game will do quite well. But it won't be a positive experience for people when they wake up to this, of that I'm very sure.

It's especially frustrating for me, because I'm doing everything I can to make people aware of this - and I've sent personal messages to several Funcom people - and everyone not aware of it yet is simply shrugging it off. It's almost as if people are so sick of WoW or whatever MMO they've been into, that they're wearing blinders just so they can enjoy the game. I can sympathise - and I CRAVE the next big MMO as much as the next one, but it's pretty exhausting having to convince people that this IS affecting them and that it will only get worse - until we make it clear to Funcom that they need to deal with it.

The only reason I even bother with recording videos and what not, is because I want the game to succeed. It shows tremendous promise and has the potential to be a truly great MMO - but I strongly believe we need to have a critical mindset and I get pretty tired of the slack we - as paying consumers - are cutting developers. This game is FAR from finished, especially in the post 40+ areas, and that just sucks.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »

How would one know the difference between many of these things described here and a generally laggy connection?

Last night I was in Archeron Ruins and much of what you describe was happening, but to me it seemed mainly to be a laggy area. At one point, a group of four of us took on the demon bat. The thing was there, then completely disappeared. Then one person in our party ran forward and started hacking at what appeared to me to be just thin air. Then this massive bat appeared right in front of me and fell over dead before I could hit it. I just attributed the experience to lag (the whole place seemed borked last night), but it makes me wonder.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »

GB, what you are describing is exactly that disappearence bug. The mob was loaded and displayed by your system and then as you change your positioning it disappears to re-appear again later on exatly the same spot. It's not a lag, since the mob isn't rubber-banding while moving towards you. And also it's not a lag, because if you had the mob selected before it disappeared, it would be deselcted when it re-appears. And if you were solo, it would have been at full health again.

In the situation you described, everything ended well - the mob was apparently on a weaker side against your group. However, if instead of the mob you'd seen your groupmate falling dead, you'd be much more annoyed by this bug. And this will start happening more often as you move up the levels and to more challenging encounters.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:39:20 PM by StriderGG » Logged
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »

Quote from: Jafisob on May 28, 2008, 02:32:23 PM

AoC has massive amounts of bugs and glitches some of which are known and documented and many of which are not.  
Some people have crowed how successful the launch is without realizeing just how shakey some of the technical aspects are. IMO this is worse than a lot of recent MMO releases(EXCLUDING VANGUARD).

Quote from: DArtagnan on May 28, 2008, 02:43:36 PM

---

About the launch - yeah it was relatively good form a certain point of view. But based on my experience with betas - it's clear to me that there are MANY MANY serious issues left to be resolved - much more so than a typically successful launch. It's not Vanguard or Hellgate - but it sure as hell isn't LOTRO or CoH either. I expect it won't be more than a few weeks until this dawns on the general player population.

We seem to agree.  

When I hear 'This is the best launch ever' I just cringe.  I like AoC as much if not more than most people but this is NOT the best launch ever or even a great launch.  It is a launch where the servers did not crash and burn and the game is playable for most people(and what is there and working is awesome imo).  
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »

I like AoC as much if not more than most people but this is NOT the best launch ever or even a great launch.  It is a launch where the servers did not crash and burn and the game is playable for most people(and what is there and working is awesome imo).

Hehe, it's a case of low expectations I think. Half of the talents and skills don't work, crafting and city building is borked, high level content isn't there or broken, but hey, for most people the game is running, no huge lags and - hey! - you can go and wack on mobs! smile

I think the Open Beta was so disastrous bug-wise, people are just glad that the release is not like that.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2008, 06:54:38 PM »

Apparently, they received a bunch of complaints during beta, specifically related to performance in Tarantia - and they came up with this "solution" which apparently puts NPC "brains" to sleep when this happens - effectively removing them from existence in those areas. The CM in question agreed completely that this is a drastic and poor solution, but as of yet hasn't been able to get the respective developers to confirm if this is even a recognized problem now.

That makes no sense whatsoever. So if your client can't handle an NPC model load, they just cease it from existing? What an asinine solution.

I personally haven't noticed the problem much, but I've got view distances pretty far out and have been soloing most of the game. Sorry you guys are having such trouble, and I agree this definitely needs to be addressed ASAP.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »

I have been killed multiple times by invisible mobs. yes, it's VERY annoying and frustrating. Just be running along and suddenly I have 4 mobs around me and half dead. Great. It's definitely an issue.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 28, 2008, 06:54:38 PM

That makes no sense whatsoever. So if your client can't handle an NPC model load, they just cease it from existing? What an asinine solution.

I personally haven't noticed the problem much, but I've got view distances pretty far out and have been soloing most of the game. Sorry you guys are having such trouble, and I agree this definitely needs to be addressed ASAP.

It's not even based on what your client can handle. It was a server-side change for everyone - and it's obviously not behaving as intended.

Your view distance settings aren't relevant to what's happening - it's just that with low distance visibility the models would "pop up" close to you, anyway, which means it can be harder to tell the difference.

I've been following EU forums very closely, and it's starting to dawn on people - especially in conjunction with the grouping interface. For some reason, your group members are only tracked when in close proximity, which means it can be a ROYAL pain to find your friends. Also, people are starting to report various issues during instances - with lots of chaos going on.

I can only imagine what a raid would be like with half the people popping in and out of existence.

How are the US forums? Or haven't you checked the tech section yet? smile
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »

I just scanned through the forums, and I can't find anybody complaining about this issue. You see the occasional gripe about group members vanishing, but it's usually related to the mini-map.

Maybe they're in there and buried (I only did a quick read through and a couple of searches), but certainly not in any number that it's noticeable.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 28, 2008, 07:15:15 PM

I just scanned through the forums, and I can't find anybody complaining about this issue. You see the occasional gripe about group members vanishing, but it's usually related to the mini-map.

Maybe they're in there and buried (I only did a quick read through and a couple of searches), but certainly not in any number that it's noticeable.

Hmm, I expected this to be at least be recognized there...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to check it out.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »

I guess I'm lucky that I've been running solo so far up to 16.  My main concern so far has been whether grouping would be as fun an experience as it is in EQ2 and WoW, and .  I'm not sure if the roles are as well defined in AoC as they are in those games, and typically that makes the battles more immersive.  However, it sounds like the bigger issue will be this disappearance bug.  Seems like it would make grouping futile to some extent.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on May 28, 2008, 05:37:45 PM

GB, what you are describing is exactly that disappearence bug. The mob was loaded and displayed by your system and then as you change your positioning it disappears to re-appear again later on exatly the same spot. It's not a lag, since the mob isn't rubber-banding while moving towards you. And also it's not a lag, because if you had the mob selected before it disappeared, it would be deselcted when it re-appears. And if you were solo, it would have been at full health again.

In the situation you described, everything ended well - the mob was apparently on a weaker side against your group. However, if instead of the mob you'd seen your groupmate falling dead, you'd be much more annoyed by this bug. And this will start happening more often as you move up the levels and to more challenging encounters.

There was a lot of lagging going on there as well (rubber-banding, stuttering, and sliding), so I'm not necessarily convinced, but the Bat Demon was bizarre and definitely didn't seem like lag.

On another note—maybe because I am getting more aware of what's going on—today I did notice exactly what you were talking about with disappearing enemies. I played on White Sand Isle for about a half hour this afternoon, and I went into a Pict village on a quest. The village probably had a dozen or so clusters of three or more enemies. It's not like I was sneaking up on someone and then they vanish, only to reappear bashing my brains in, but the issue did play a confusing, slightly frustrating, and deadly role.

One example. I was approaching a campfire that had a small group of Picts around it. Past the fire to the left was a hut with several Picts clustered around the entrance. Behind the fire to the right was a small hill with a lone Pict standing on it. Well, I cleared the fire of Picts without drawing any of the other Picts into the fight. My next logical move is to clear the lone Pict on the hill, so I head up that way to fight him. I don't have to worry about pulling anything else, because he's up there all alone. I didn't even bother to let my health top off or let all my combos recharge because I had plenty of room to take the one guy out. Or so I thought. Almost immediately as I engage him, two Pict Shaman pop into existence running full speed toward me. They are right on top of me before I even knew what was going on. Now I'm in a battle to the death against three equal opponents, and I started from a little over half strength. I got the first guy but the two shaman killed me right after that. I know they didn't respawn, because there was no one else around and they literally snapped into existence at a full sprint. It wasn't that slow, fuzzy respawning where the character kind of stands there for a second.

There were also a couple of times when another player would come into the camp and I'd see them fighting at a distance, only to look again a moment later and see nothing there. Everything was gone. Bizarre.

It's not a major issue for for me at this point. At this point I'll just pretend that my enemies can apparate like in Harry Potter books,  but I can see how it potentially could be a real pain in the ass, depending on the difficulty of the area and the frequency of occurrence.

EDIT: I went back to the village again last night to check something out. This time I could see the other two shaman as I got closer to the first one. They are a bit hidden in the grass just over the crest of the hill, so it is possible that I just missed seeing them the first time I was there. I didn't feel that way, but the whole thing might just have been me not paying attention.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:52:25 PM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »

I have a code from PC Gamer for an EXCLUSIVE  icon_wink "Totem of the Origins" item.  I'll never use it so first one to reply below gets it.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on May 29, 2008, 03:46:14 PM

I have a code from PC Gamer for an EXCLUSIVE  icon_wink "Totem of the Origins" item.  I'll never use it so first one to reply below gets it.

me me me

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »

Gone in 56 seconds.  You gotta be shitting me.  icon_lol

PM inbound.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on May 29, 2008, 03:48:21 PM

Gone in 56 seconds.  You gotta be shitting me.  icon_lol

PM inbound.

hehe nice one I love GT  Tongue Many thanks Greggy.

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2008, 03:28:21 AM »

For whatever reason, I noticed D'Art's NPC pop-in bug in a major way tonight. It was absolutely horrible.

Maybe I was just more sensitive to it after reading this thread, but it was definitely annoying.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2008, 03:54:20 AM »

Yeah, if anyone else can get ahold of the PC Gamer code, I'll pay for the magazine to get one smile

Can't get them near me and I'd really like the item since it'll save some time.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2008, 04:00:36 AM »

What does a Totem of the Origins do?

Is is some sort of unique scratch off code in the magazine?

Harkonis, I could probably swing by a store and get one for you. If it's that useful, I might grab one for myself, too.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2008, 04:02:40 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 30, 2008, 03:28:21 AM

For whatever reason, I noticed D'Art's NPC pop-in bug in a major way tonight. It was absolutely horrible.

Maybe I was just more sensitive to it after reading this thread, but it was definitely annoying.

What I'm clearly seeing is NPCs in the distance not appearing until I get within relatively close range to them. The popping in and out seems to happen almost exclusively from distance, but it can be a pain when you're trying to map your way through an area.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2008, 04:06:42 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 30, 2008, 04:00:36 AM

What does a Totem of the Origins do?

Is is some sort of unique scratch off code in the magazine?

I thought the Totem was a town portal type of spell, usable once every hour or so. But you get one with every character you create for free anyway (Path of Asura), so I'm not quite sure why that's a giveaway item like that.

And yes, it's a unique code that's printed in every magazine. I think you enter it into your account just you entered in your CD key, and then you can /claim it on one character.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: