http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:31:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 75085 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: June 02, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »

No, but there are "empty" levels where you don't get new abilities. You'll still get them, they'll just be spaced out more. My conqueror is especially bad, as I occasionally go 3-4 levels without getting a single new ability. The extra skill points and additional feat point slightly make up for it though.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 02, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »

ah, okay.  i was used to getting new combos/spells at least once every other level towards the end of the 1-20 level range.  good to know i  haven't run into a bug.   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 02, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

my POM has gone ages without new abilites as well lately...

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 03, 2008, 12:54:38 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 02, 2008, 06:00:34 PM

No, but there are "empty" levels where you don't get new abilities. You'll still get them, they'll just be spaced out more. My conqueror is especially bad, as I occasionally go 3-4 levels without getting a single new ability. The extra skill points and additional feat point slightly make up for it though.
I got a new Conqueror skill at 34 that makes you invulnerable to all damage until your stamina runs out. I'm not sure how helpful that is (you can't use stamina/health potions while it's on), but hopefully at some point it'll be a lifesaver.  icon_smile

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but there's a checkbox in the interface options to "always use the highest version of a skill" in the assigned tray hotkey. So if you have Batter I, II and II, that'll ensure Batter III is always the version in the tray. Though if you have stamina issues, you may want to consider disabling the checkbox and using earlier variations with smaller stamina-sucking values.

To this point (and probably I should re-do my feat points and stuff eventually) my Conqueror reminds me a lot of LOTORO's Champions. Sort of a whirling dervish with a glass jaw (even with heavy armor and buffs). I've done more duoing and teaming of late, and the game feels so much easier even with just one partner.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:57:04 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 03, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »

I wish I knew what the difference between half my skills were...like, enraging wound, and Brutal enraging wound??

Also, some feats give "More damage" to a spell, but...it doenst show up anywhere what more damage means, nor in the description of the spell. (ToS for instance)

A new one
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 03, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »

For all you Conquerors...

As I said in the Impressions thread, I watched my buddy play a Guardian.  By level 16, he had a polearm in one weapon slot, and a sword and shield in the other.  During tough battles, he would start with the polearm to get the benefits of those combos, then quick switch and fight using sword & board.  It really was fun to watch and was quite effective as he switched back and forth depending on the situation.

My question is - Do Conquerors have combos/abilities that would benefit from a similar setup?  Switching between styles mid-fight to take advantage of both dual-wielding and 2-handers?  My concern would be that the way the Feats are layed out, once a Conqueror commits to a certain tree, he would have no reason whatsoever to switch up fighting styles.  Is that accurate, or do you guys do a lot of switching depending on the situation?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: June 03, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 03, 2008, 01:28:06 PM

My question is - Do Conquerors have combos/abilities that would benefit from a similar setup?  Switching between styles mid-fight to take advantage of both dual-wielding and 2-handers?

Yes. Even my low level (12 or so) Conqueror has a combo that requires the use of a 2-hander to use. But with instant weapon switching, there's nothing stopping me from swapping to the 2-hander long enough to use the combo, then going back to dual-wielding immediately after.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 03, 2008, 02:09:38 PM »

I don't do it, but it's just personal choice. I don't want to have to deal with weapon switching mid-combat, so I made my Conqueror the most pure-blood dual-wielder I could. While this does mean that I have various 2H skills that go completely unused, they don't fit the role I'm playing. I've never been much into min/maxing toons though, so it really doesn't bother me much if I'm not being absolutely the most efficient. The one time I tried that in this game (respeccing 2H because that's what the consensus on the forums said I should do), I was miserable and just didn't have as much fun.

I might change my tune when I'm dealing with PvP and tactics become much more important, but for now I'm content to just do what's fun for me.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 03, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but there's a checkbox in the interface options to "always use the highest version of a skill" in the assigned tray hotkey. So if you have Batter I, II and II, that'll ensure Batter III is always the version in the tray. Though if you have stamina issues, you may want to consider disabling the checkbox and using earlier variations with smaller stamina-sucking values.

Some Barbarian's (not sure about Conquerors) combos have their ranks on separate cooldowns and finishing swings. For example, three ranks of Cunning Strike finish on left, top and right swing, all on separate colldowns. In this case, the game WILL NOT replace the "older" ranks with the "newer" ones, it will simply add the enw ones to your toolbar and will be your decision which ranks you want to use.

I am using 3 ranks of Cunning Strike at the same time, for example.

As for new combos/abilities/spells, after lvl 20 you are getting them approximately every 5 levels. However, a lot of new stuff is coming from your feats (talents), so depending on your point allocation you may get some new stuff more often than that.

BTW, this is one of my gripes with the game atm. Spellcasters seem to get a lot of new spells after lvl ~25. I looked up my Barbarian on the net and it looks like all I am going to get from now on is new ranks of the existing combos (not counting the feat combos/abilities). Which sucks. It's like what WoW used to have after lvl 40 at launch, hopefully AoC will re-design this part of the game as well.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 03, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 03, 2008, 01:28:06 PM

My question is - Do Conquerors have combos/abilities that would benefit from a similar setup?  Switching between styles mid-fight to take advantage of both dual-wielding and 2-handers?  My concern would be that the way the Feats are layed out, once a Conqueror commits to a certain tree, he would have no reason whatsoever to switch up fighting styles.  Is that accurate, or do you guys do a lot of switching depending on the situation?

Unfortunately you have to pick one.  Carnage tree spec = DW and Brute = 2H.  I suppose a generalist could put points in both trees but might be gimped.  There are some builds that double dip but that's mostly to get some special abilities like fireweave, warlord etc. 

I do switch weapons though, between crossbow and melee weapon.  I know hardly anything about Guardian but a brief glimpse at their tree also shows polearm and shield skill on different trees.  I don't know if Guardian polearm+shield spec is viable either at higher levels.

If you want to add extra micromanagement to your combat, try stance dancing.  That works.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 03, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

Wouldnt a pole arm be a 2 handed weapon so you wouldnt be using a shield anyway.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 03, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 03, 2008, 05:28:08 PM

Unfortunately you have to pick one.  Carnage tree spec = DW and Brute = 2H.  I suppose a generalist could put points in both trees but might be gimped.  There are some builds that double dip but that's mostly to get some special abilities like fireweave, warlord etc. 

I do switch weapons though, between crossbow and melee weapon.  I know hardly anything about Guardian but a brief glimpse at their tree also shows polearm and shield skill on different trees.  I don't know if Guardian polearm+shield spec is viable either at higher levels.

If you want to add extra micromanagement to your combat, try stance dancing.  That works.

That is the answer I expected, and that's fine.  I was just curious.  I am guessing as my friend gets higher and higher in level and begins to specialize more in a particular tree, his weapon-switching ways will come to an end. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 08, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »

This site's pretty useful, esp. if you get stumped on quest or quest locations (assuming it isn't a broken one):

http://aoc.mmodb.com/

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 10, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »

TenTonHammer has a neat set of Feats Calculators online. Wish I'd looked at these earlier  icon_razz

This is the Conqueror one, you can see the other classes via tabs:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/aoc/feats?class_id=4&sc_1=&sc_2=&sc_3=&tab=0

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 12, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »

TenTon also had a post-launch interview today with Jason Stone:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/35363
Nothing earthshaking. He does seem to opine that the supposed character class nerfs are usually more a case of fixed-bugs attempting to rebalance things. But, basically, that's semantics if you ask me. One person's "bug fix" or "rolling back an unintended exploit" is another person's "NERF!"  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:34:53 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: June 12, 2008, 10:11:18 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 12, 2008, 03:31:49 AM

TenTon also had a post-launch interview today with Jason Stone:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/35363
Nothing earthshaking. He does seem to opine that the supposed character class nerfs are usually more a case of fixed-bugs attempting to rebalance things. But, basically, that's semantics if you ask me. One person's "bug fix" or "rolling back an unintended exploit" is another person's "NERF!"  icon_neutral

Oh yeah you could always interchange words to talk about "fixing" classes. Nerf,balance,fix,tweak,etc.........pick one, they all work.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 12, 2008, 02:37:57 PM »

Except, "nerf" is not even a word. biggrin
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 12, 2008, 03:45:29 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on June 12, 2008, 02:37:57 PM

Hasbro would disagree with you.
http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/

morlac00 on PSN
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 12, 2008, 03:53:36 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 12, 2008, 03:45:29 PM

Quote from: StriderGG on June 12, 2008, 02:37:57 PM

Hasbro would disagree with you.
http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/

Hehe, I don't really see how rubber toys are related to class balance smile
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 12, 2008, 08:08:42 PM »

Blasphemy!

Nerf is not rubber!

Well it use to not be.  After looking at their site it would appear that all they make now are guns and strange shaped footballs.   
They NERFED! my nerf!
 crybaby  I miss my foamy,cushinie, soft stuff you could throw at people's faces. crybaby

morlac00 on PSN
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »

Nerf Bow 'n' Arrow!  No seriously, they should nerf Rangers Tongue
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 13, 2008, 10:30:06 AM »

I'm playing a conqueror myself (only level23), and I have a question about stances. Do you guys use them? Is there any point to them when you're solo-ing? In a group I can understand it lets you determine your role better (eg. one guy has defensive stance, the other one has frenzy), but in solo-ing, the 'general' stance seems to give the best combination of defense and offense.

Do you guys find them helpfull? Do you switch a lot?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 13, 2008, 12:04:01 PM »

I've got a 50 Conqueror, and so far in solo play I've never used stances. Some people are good at "stance dancing" and swapping back and forth in the middle of a fight, but I've never found it necessary. I easily take down mobs 3-4 levels above me, and die very rarely, so there has been no real need. I do have a *very* heavily specced offense build though (dual wield with lots of damage perks), so I tend to take things down fast anyway.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 13, 2008, 02:58:07 PM »

I'm poorly spec'd as a conq (I use 2-handed weapons but wasted a few Feat points experimenting with dual wield stuff), but fwiw, I use the Defensive stance most of the time. There are some interesting Feat points that make it more effective, or make enemies take damage when they hit your Defensive stance shield.

I generally only use Frenzy when I'm teamed with a healer, or when I'm tackling substantially lower level mobs. At even or higher Frenzy just makes me collapse like a deck of cards.  icon_razz

It is tricky to know whether it's better to damage faster, or have more defensive durability (honestly, I should've gone with a Guardian, but I'm 43 now and would rather keep pushing my main character towards the level caps at this point).

My current Feat build probably isn't geared enough towards either  icon_redface (I'd respec, but it costs a fortune and I'm saving up for a mount/riding skill). Probably I should've just focused on one type of melee damage (dual, or single 2-hand) and worried less about the defensive feat modifiers.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:00:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 13, 2008, 03:03:53 PM »

How many times have you respecced? My third respec last night was only 6 silver.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 13, 2008, 05:34:12 PM »

I don't know. The only respec'r NPC I had seen to this point was charging something like 25 silver I thought. Maybe I misread it.  icon_confused I have maybe 50 Silver at this point (mainly due to that efficient duo I was in last night, it really racked up the coins better than when I solo).

So I have actual questions now!:

* Is there a Respec NPC in Tarantia (or whatever it's called)? I can "totem" back there if so.

* Does anyone know of a Wayfarer in Field of the Dead somewhere? It's such a pain to reach that zone, I'd like to bind to it somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 05:37:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 13, 2008, 05:43:23 PM »

* Does anyone know of a Wayfarer in Field of the Dead somewhere? It's such a pain to reach that zone, I'd like to bind to it somewhere.

I *think* there is one in the village in Laceish Plains , which is the crafting zone right off of Field of the Dead. That would cut your trip down to about a minute.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 13, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »

Thanks. I just wish they'd be more obvious about the Wayfarers on the map (kinda like how they changed teammate icons from these imperceptible little grey peas, to big, obnoxious purple arrows). There have been times I've walked right by one repeatedly without knowing it.

Maybe they could wear a tin foil hat and a big picket sign that says "WAYFARER HERE!" nod

Playing
PC
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 13, 2008, 06:45:11 PM »

I have a specific quest problem.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I did a Daytime Tortage quest in which I had to find a lotus box.  The NPC gave me an empty box as a reward.  Any idea what I do with it?

"Goonies never say die"
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 13, 2008, 07:02:18 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe I just sold it as vendor trash. Never did find an actual use for it.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: June 13, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »

I dont know why you had to put spoiler there.

Spoiler for Hiden:
she took the drugs out and gave you back the empty box
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 13, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »

Quote from: drifter on June 13, 2008, 08:41:39 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because if I didn't.. surely someone would be upset that I spoiled a quest.  Is it a big deal?

"Goonies never say die"
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 14, 2008, 02:39:28 AM »

Thanks to some tips here I finally found the trainer (for respecing feats) in Tarantia, and it was (the first time anyway) a pretty reasonable number of coppers. Since I like playing in Defense stance, I maxxed that out and the basic physical defense against various melee things (see pic). Wow, my Conq's difference was like night and day. I'm not a worldbeater, but I'm definitely churning through situations that smacked me before. I also got a useful little buff that adds knockback to your next attack (whether swing or combo), and it's pretty useful.   icon_smile

I must say, connection reliability's not so good tonight. I've disconnected twice now, and just logged because everything stopped moving and I sensed probably another disconnect coming. Some folks in my guild kept popping in and out, and it seemed like they were getting dropped too. disgust

Playing
PC
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 14, 2008, 12:05:15 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on June 13, 2008, 10:35:10 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because if I didn't.. surely someone would be upset that I spoiled a quest.  Is it a big deal?

was meant to be humorous   not taking a shot at you
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 14, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »

Quote from: drifter on June 14, 2008, 12:05:15 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on June 13, 2008, 10:35:10 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

was meant to be humorous   not taking a shot at you

slywink

"Goonies never say die"
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 14, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »

Retraining your feats costs 50 copper the first time. After that it escalates rapidly according to your level. At low 40's, a respec will cost you 1-2 silver. At 52 it cost me 10 silver.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: June 14, 2008, 01:52:21 PM »

Quote from: Crux on June 14, 2008, 01:46:58 PM

Retraining your feats costs 50 copper the first time. After that it escalates rapidly according to your level. At low 40's, a respec will cost you 1-2 silver. At 52 it cost me 10 silver.

My second respec at level 20 cost me something like 2.75 or 3 silver. 50c is the first, and it just goes through the freakin' roof beyond that. The best part? They don't actually tell you how much it is, just that you can't afford it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 14, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 14, 2008, 01:52:21 PM

Quote from: Crux on June 14, 2008, 01:46:58 PM

My second respec at level 20 cost me something like 2.75 or 3 silver. 50c is the first, and it just goes through the freakin' roof beyond that. The best part? They don't actually tell you how much it is, just that you can't afford it.

the one time I checked the feat trainer in Khemi the game told me how much it cost before I reset everything.  I know for awhile they wouldn't tell you how much it cost to respec skills, but last time I did it told me before I did it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #998 on: June 14, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2008, 03:04:11 PM

the one time I checked the feat trainer in Khemi the game told me how much it cost before I reset everything.  I know for awhile they wouldn't tell you how much it cost to respec skills, but last time I did it told me before I did it.

It tells you if you have enough money to do so. If you don't, it doesn't say. Or at least that's how it worked when I did it two days or so back.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 15, 2008, 05:41:40 AM »

I got nowhere in-game asking how to get the expanded loot bag thingies ("General vendors! Somewhere!"). Googling pulled up this EU AoC forums post with the coordinates for the vendor and some explanation of it:

Bag price/vendor details + major whine slywink
http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=34754

The 4-slot is reasonable price, the 8 slot is pricey, the rest are "you obviously have money to burn."  icon_razz

There's a little icon in the lower right to drag'n'drap your bag to. Then you get a 2nd page with the X # of slots. You can drag a page 1 item onto the little strip at the bottom to move it to the 2nd page.

Some pics below to spare other's my confusion (I think pre-orders got the 8-slot bag free, so this is probably moot info them).  icon_smile Grumbling and some exasperating Nobles town instances aside, had a lotta fun today.

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: