http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:10:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 75392 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 21, 2008, 12:44:45 PM »

Ah, I see. Don't think I have seen that yet but I will keep an eye out for it.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 21, 2008, 01:44:51 PM »

By chance, does anyone know if there has been a U.S. Server earmarked as the "unofficial rp server" ?  (not a pvp one, but a regular one)

Just kind of curious.

Also... How big is the world compared to other games out there?  Say EQ2, or LOTRO or WoW?  I mean as in explorable area?  Maybe it's way too early for anyone to know this yet, but I'm curious to know this as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:57:53 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 21, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 21, 2008, 01:44:51 PM

By chance, does anyone know if there has been a U.S. Server earmarked as the "unofficial rp server" ?  (not a pvp one, but a regular one)

Just kind of curious.

Derketo is the unofficial Erotic RP sever  slywink  OK, not really (yet), but if you play on any other PvE server you won't be playing with us, so your experience will immediately be less.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 21, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »

OK.  I just registered on the Wanderers forums in case I decide to get the game.

Any idea yet how big the world is relative to other games of this type?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 21, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 21, 2008, 03:21:20 PM

OK.  I just registered on the Wanderers forums in case I decide to get the game.

Any idea yet how big the world is relative to other games of this type?

I'm not sure from personal experience-  the first 20 levels are spent on a starter island, and at level 13 there's still a bunch of places I haven't been to yet, including some ruins that actually caused my jaw to drop when the zone loaded up and I saw how huge it was.  After seeing that I figured there'd be no way I'd be able to tackle my current quest and get to bed at a reasonable hour, so I logged off for the night.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: May 21, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »

I can't speak for post-40 areas, because I never made it that far in beta. However, the game world *feels* smaller to me than WoW, LOTRO, or EQ2. Part of the problem in estimating world size is that while some of the zones are themselves huge, there are a lot of unclimbable mountain ranges and such that funnel you along particular paths. So for me personally, I felt a little restricted by the geography even though the total area of most of the zones was very large.

The other thing that gives the illusion of the world being more restrictive is that there are only three races and therefore only three major cities. And everyone starts out in Tortage. So compared to WoW with its multiple starting cities among multiple races, it again feels a tad claustrophobic.

However, just because I get the sense that the total game world is smaller doesn't mean that the game doesn't offer plenty to do from 1-80. From my experience the game does a very efficient job of progressing you from area to area at the appropriate level ranges, so what they lack in geography they make up for in pacing.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 21, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 18, 2008, 01:58:19 AM

Resistance fading...

Resistance gone.

Installing now.  My loincloth will be online in a few hours Tongue

morlac00 on PSN
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 21, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »

Haven't seen a lot of comment about the Ranger class, and if/when I decide to actually get AoC, I would probably play a Ranger.

Anyone tried one?

Just a little hiccup.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 21, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »

US servers are going down right now for 2 hours they say so check back in 3 hours.  Damn I played yesterday morning then didn't log in again until about 10 minutes before they decided to take the servers down. 

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 21, 2008, 05:02:48 PM »

Weird. Just got an e-mail from funcom telling me to claim my, drinking cape, war mamoth, rhino, bow, staff, and extra bags. All I did was pre-order the Mammoth. Strange, but not complaining.

So with all this stuff I can't use at the moment do we have storage we can use yet?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 21, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 21, 2008, 05:02:48 PM

Weird. Just got an e-mail from funcom telling me to claim my, drinking cape, war mamoth, rhino, bow, staff, and extra bags. All I did was pre-order the Mammoth. Strange, but not complaining.

So with all this stuff I can't use at the moment do we have storage we can use yet?

That's a list of every pre-order and CE item, they are probably just saying that if you have one of those to claim that you should, not that you have all of them.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: May 21, 2008, 05:11:09 PM »

Yeah just a list of the pre order gifts.
You get the mammoth and the bags with yours.

The storage NPC's still don't work.
But the extra bag space is godlike.
Extra inventory slots cost enough to fund a small army from what I hear...

Gonna eat your face
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 21, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on May 21, 2008, 05:11:09 PM

I got all the items when I went in game and did a /claim. All of them are in my bag as I type. Rhino, Rhino bag, Mammoth, mammoth bag. Bow, Staff, Cape.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 21, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »

Quote from: Rich on May 21, 2008, 04:59:39 PM

US servers are going down right now for 2 hours they say so check back in 3 hours.  Damn I played yesterday morning then didn't log in again until about 10 minutes before they decided to take the servers down. 

That figures.

Still updating as we speak, guess I'll go run some errands.

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 21, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »

Pre-ordered as well, and just got an email that said to go claim my drinking cape, whatever the heck that means... now, if only I had the damn game as well :-D

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 21, 2008, 05:39:07 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 21, 2008, 05:31:55 PM

Pre-ordered as well, and just got an email that said to go claim my drinking cape, whatever the heck that means... now, if only I had the damn game as well :-D

Drinking cape enables you to have un-limited, life time access to a certain alchoholic drink found in cities and such. Not sure if this drink boosts stats though.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 21, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »

The other thing that gives the illusion of the world being more restrictive is that there are only three races and therefore only three major cities. And everyone starts out in Tortage. So compared to WoW with its multiple starting cities among multiple races, it again feels a tad claustrophobic.

True, AoC has 1 starting area vs. 3 in WoW (if you are playing one side, i.e. Hore, that is). This however results in a much better fleshed out starting experience. Story, quests, geography, POIs, mobs. Tortage feels like a real city with a lot of details as opposed to pretty generic and bland starting areas in WoW. Acheronian Ruins is one of the best zones I have ever seen in an MMO, White Sand Isle is also pretty cool and varied.

So in the end, it's the usual balance of quality vs. quantity. I'd hate the extremes, but everything in between sounds good to me!
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 21, 2008, 06:06:09 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on May 21, 2008, 05:54:56 PM

True, AoC has 1 starting area vs. 3 in WoW (if you are playing one side, i.e. Hore, that is). This however results in a much better fleshed out starting experience. Story, quests, geography, POIs, mobs. Tortage feels like a real city with a lot of details as opposed to pretty generic and bland starting areas in WoW. Acheronian Ruins is one of the best zones I have ever seen in an MMO, White Sand Isle is also pretty cool and varied.

So in the end, it's the usual balance of quality vs. quantity. I'd hate the extremes, but everything in between sounds good to me!

While I think they did a great job with Tortage, I don't see it holding my interest by the 3rd or 4th alt - to be honest.

Say what you want about WoW - but I think the world design of Azeroth was absolutely amazing in terms of variety and atmosphere. Ok, so the areas weren't as dense as Tortage, but WoW had at least 3 times as many adventure zones as AoC (at launch) and in my opinion they were ALL brilliantly done. In fact, it was one of the strongest pulls for me in that game.

While the jury is still out on the zones of AoC - I must say I haven't been overwhelmed by their designs. They're extremely pretty, visually, but they feel somewhat linear and restricted and the relatively few areas constitute a feeling of a smaller world than I'd like, and they also feel very disconnected.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #898 on: May 21, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 21, 2008, 05:13:04 PM

Quote from: Mikagami on May 21, 2008, 05:11:09 PM

I got all the items when I went in game and did a /claim. All of them are in my bag as I type. Rhino, Rhino bag, Mammoth, mammoth bag. Bow, Staff, Cape.

Seriously?

When did you do your /claim?
Maybe it's bugged and you ended up with every pre order gift.

Hope they dont catch ya on that one heh.

Gonna eat your face
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 21, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »

I encountered that issue last night, D'Art. It was on White Sands Isle and I was fighting the level 15 crocs. I'd use cobra stare which stuns them. I'd back up a little bit and they disappeared. When I moved forward, they reappeared, but had broken combat and were evading.

Ale
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: May 21, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on May 21, 2008, 06:19:34 PM

I encountered that issue last night, D'Art. It was on White Sands Isle and I was fighting the level 15 crocs. I'd use cobra stare which stuns them. I'd back up a little bit and they disappeared. When I moved forward, they reappeared, but had broken combat and were evading.

Ale

I was having that issue with an nvidia 8800GT using the 169 based drivers from omega.  i upgraded to the latest drivers off nvidia's site (i think they're 175.16) and the problem went away.  whether or not it STAYS fixed i guess i'll find out over the next few days. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 21, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »

I'll give that a shot. It's been awhile since I've installed new ones.

Ale
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #902 on: May 21, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »

Strange - I just got a notice in my e-mail box stating that if I entered a certain CD key, they'd give me the Drinking Cape for life. It gives you free Ambrosia, BTW.

Problem is, I already have the CE, so the item is utterly useless. Go figure.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 22, 2008, 05:25:30 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 21, 2008, 06:56:14 PM

Ale

I was having that issue with an nvidia 8800GT using the 169 based drivers from omega.  i upgraded to the latest drivers off nvidia's site (i think they're 175.16) and the problem went away.  whether or not it STAYS fixed i guess i'll find out over the next few days. 

Hmm, I've been using the latest drivers since they were released not long ago (175.16), but I also dual boot Vista/XP and use different drivers in XP. The issue has been there no matter what, and given its behaviour I STRONGLY doubt it's a local problem -as everyone that has tested for it has seen it so far.

But please report back about it, because if it turns out to be fixable locally, then I can continue playing that otherwise great game smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: May 22, 2008, 05:32:55 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 21, 2008, 10:44:10 PM

Strange - I just got a notice in my e-mail box stating that if I entered a certain CD key, they'd give me the Drinking Cape for life. It gives you free Ambrosia, BTW.

I just got the same email.  Not sure if it's for participating in the closed beta or what, but I also have the CE (in the mail) so it's useless to me too.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 22, 2008, 06:08:59 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 22, 2008, 05:32:55 AM

Quote from: Destructor on May 21, 2008, 10:44:10 PM

I just got the same email.  Not sure if it's for participating in the closed beta or what, but I also have the CE (in the mail) so it's useless to me too.

I got it as well, and wasnt in closed, only open beta... but have the CE bought as well, although..eh..they can't know that, since, well, I havent gotten the box or the code yet :-D

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 22, 2008, 06:19:26 AM »

The cape was a gift for being a newsletter subscriber
Trappin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 22, 2008, 06:33:31 AM »

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/business/article2431509.ece

"The server parks will now be dimensioned to handle 600,000 to 700,000 subscribers," Funcom said in a statement. It said the collector's edition of the game had been sold out in all markets, adding over 110,000 copies had been produced.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 22, 2008, 06:56:13 AM »

600.000?? Thats..a LOT of people, all doing the same thing...Imagine, if we could funnel that kind of energy into other stuff as well..scary  eek

A new one
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 22, 2008, 06:39:34 PM »

Quote from: DArtagnan on May 22, 2008, 05:25:30 AM

Quote from: hepcat on May 21, 2008, 06:56:14 PM

Ale

Hmm, I've been using the latest drivers since they were released not long ago (175.16), but I also dual boot Vista/XP and use different drivers in XP. The issue has been there no matter what, and given its behaviour I STRONGLY doubt it's a local problem -as everyone that has tested for it has seen it so far.

But please report back about it, because if it turns out to be fixable locally, then I can continue playing that otherwise great game smile

I think in my case, the omega drivers based on 169 I previously used were so seriously out of date in the context of this game that it was causing the problem to be much more noticeable...as well as giving me really crappy performance.  With the new 175 drives on my 8800 GT E6600 duo core system, I can play at high resolution now with a really nice, stable framerate.  But yeah, the "disappearing characters" issues still rears its ugly head every now and then.  Just not as often as it did with the 169 drivers.  But I still strongly suggest that any Nvidia card users upgrade as soon as you can for this game.  It really was a HUGE improvement.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 25, 2008, 01:03:58 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 22, 2008, 06:19:26 AM

I applied the code OK, but "/claim" command doesn't add anything to my character's inventory in the game. So I'm stumped on that one, unless maybe it's not available until you hit 20 and leave Tortugar.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: May 25, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 25, 2008, 01:03:58 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 22, 2008, 06:19:26 AM

I applied the code OK, but "/claim" command doesn't add anything to my character's inventory in the game. So I'm stumped on that one, unless maybe it's not available until you hit 20 and leave Tortugar.  icon_confused

The /claim command on all CE owners works the moment you create a character. Doesn't make sense.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 25, 2008, 03:25:28 PM »

I haven't been able to get the /claim to work either even though my account info on their website shows the items attached to my account.  One thing that might be preventing it in my case is I haven't input the retail code yet since my copy hasn't arrived from GoGamer, I'm still playing on my early access download and code.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 25, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »

Quote from: Rich on May 25, 2008, 03:25:28 PM

I haven't been able to get the /claim to work either even though my account info on their website shows the items attached to my account.  One thing that might be preventing it in my case is I haven't input the retail code yet since my copy hasn't arrived from GoGamer, I'm still playing on my early access download and code.

That's exactly why it isn't working. The retail code is required.

Ale
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 25, 2008, 11:40:10 PM »

Any tips on how to best work the keyboard/mouse in combat?

I've tried moving with my left hand on the keyboard and clicking on the hotkey bars with my right hand on the trackball, but something doesn't feel right. I've also tried both hands on the keyboard for combat, but then I can't swivel and look around.

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: May 26, 2008, 02:07:54 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 25, 2008, 11:40:10 PM

I've tried moving with my left hand on the keyboard and clicking on the hotkey bars with my right hand on the trackball, but something doesn't feel right. I've also tried both hands on the keyboard for combat, but then I can't swivel and look around.

Go to HUD options and turn on the combat rose. It creates a nice little "combat circle" down at the bottom above the three big buttons. You can then remap the 1-3 keys to combos and use the mouse to click the rose while using your fingers to hit the combos. It isn't the best situation, but once you learn it, I think it is preferable than using the 1,2,3 keys to attack.

Bael
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: May 26, 2008, 08:16:53 AM »

Quote from: Hiccup on May 21, 2008, 04:50:19 PM

Haven't seen a lot of comment about the Ranger class, and if/when I decide to actually get AoC, I would probably play a Ranger.

Anyone tried one?
Hey Hiccup.  Noticed your question got lost in the shuffle.

I'm playing a ranger alt that is quickly becoming my main.  I've heard rumors from open beta people and doomsayers on the forums that rangers stop performing so well after level 40.  Or at least they go downhill from there.  I have no idea if this is true.  All I can say is the road through level 21 is a beautiful one. 

Rangers in AoC are rogues which means they get stealth abilities as well as the nimble defenses of a traditional rogue class.  They also have a huge amount of single target CC and damage.  I've found my ranger to be quite elegant in the way he takes down enemies and quite useful to the groups he's been in.  Not only that, but the damage, at least so far, is fantastic.  I recommend trying one. 

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 26, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »

Playing an Assasin at the moment. Just hit 20. I've been hearing negative things about the Assasins in AoC, some I can agree with, so far.

At this level, and apparently higher as well, we don't have any crowd-control. We are also very squishy..If I don't kill quickly I'm dead quickly.
As you guys know most of the mobs come in packets of 2 or 3 minimum...Without being able to stealth and stun it makes life rather precarious to say the least.

I hope they look at the Assasin's in regard to CC.

I am finding it a very fun class to play. Looking forward to them tweaking and balancing this class out.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 26, 2008, 12:48:03 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 25, 2008, 11:40:10 PM

If you're like me, when you try to use your left hand for both the 1-3 keys and your various skills, you're probably having trouble hitting the 1-3 keys in the right order.

Late yesterday I just started taking my right hand off the mouse long enough to hit my 6-zero combo hotkeys, and that way my left hand doesn't stray too far from the 1-3 keys (I assign 4 and 5 to non-combo skills) and I started hitting combos and multi-key combos more accurately. Far from ideal though still. Dammit, we all need a third hand for this game basically.  icon_razz

Also, don't forget you can assign skills to the left set of on-screen hotkeys too (where you put potions etc.). I only realized that by accident.

In CoX I like to assign hotkeys to various keys near the movement keys. Some of these are already taken by important keys in this, but for my Conquerer, I assigned his Charge skill to "z" and a combo key to "v," which helps me a bit.

I was checking the AoC manual just now (they took servers down 4 hours to get an update up, wah), and it doesn't look like the F1 (for "select self") and F2-F6 (select team members) are all that critical (well, healers who team a lot might use it a lot) so I might look into using those keys for skills, abilities or combos.

You may want to try the Mirage UI mod (mentioned in the screenshots thread here in passing):
http://ledmirage.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3777

That lets you have three full rows of hotkeys on screen (which is the format I used in LOTORO, but you didn't need a mod/tweak there to have that there), and also revamps (without altering original files) the "party panel" to be more useful, among other things. I already love AoC but they really should've made the hotkey trays more flexible. You can't flood people with this many abilities/skills/stuff and think one visible hotkey tray and one 6-slot quick tray is going to suffice for most people. icon_confused
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:58:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 26, 2008, 01:47:20 PM »

I already love AoC but they really should've made the hotkey trays more flexible. You can't flood people with this many abilities/skills/stuff and think one visible hotkey tray and one 6-slot quick tray is going to suffice for most people.

There are also 2 vertical bars that can be expanded to hold 20 (IIRC) slots each. And they can be moved or made horizontal as well. Plenty of slots and you can assign buttons to them. These two hotbars used to be enabled by default, but on my last 2 alts I noticed that they are now disabled. Weird.

I always recommend mapping the melee attacks (originally 1, 2, 3) to mouse buttons. It works perfectly for me and my friends.

There is also a nasty bug in the Controls section of the menu. Sometimes when you map something to a key that is already taken, the game asks you if you are sure and remaps. But sometimes it tells you that the key is "reserved". What you need to do is to "free up" the key by mapping its action to something else, relog and you will be able to use for whatever you want. I re-mapped all the keys around WASD this way.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: